closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch purchase Goals for 2019

I think some consolidation will happen in 2019, I have been seriously considering a Rolex Great White 1665 but think I will most likely try and source a nice 16600, I’d also like to try an Oysterquartz at some point and would like to get my hands on one of Eddies PRS-50’s.. but as I know all too well, this could all change, 5 years ago I never imagined that I would really be that bothered by Rolex, things change I guess.

Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I’d rather like to get a standard speedy pro moonwatch before July.

Obviously it’s the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, but it’s the first ‘nice’ watch I ever wanted and, despite owning plenty of more interesting/collectable/expensive watches, I keep coming back to a basic hesalite moonwatch as something I really want.
    Bang on....the standard hexalite model is the real deal. One of the best buys on the market. All the ‘special editions’ rest in its shadow.

I’d like a GMT Pepsi, maybe an older Day-Date, and a standard ceramic Sub.

Likely purchases:

Patek 5167 - I’m just waiting for the call

50th Speedmaster - unless there are something like 10,069 in the edition

Maybe I’ll give up my Tudor Pelagius for the GMT or a 58 - but I’ll see.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I have got eight wrist watches and that is enough for me, so unless something really unexpected takes my fancy, I am done with buying.

I may possibly treat myself to a really good pocket watch but as I already have one, it seems a bit unlikely.

Master
    Something gold

I’d like something to wear on a daily basis instead of my Rolex 1016, most probably a black dialled OP 34mm or DJ 36. Though I’ll first wait to see if Rolex updates the steel DJ with a slimmer case as they did with the TT this year.

I’d also like to sell my Tudor Blue ND snowflake and replace it with a 16610 LV.

Craftsman
    My goal is to stick with the BB58 and not purchase anything new. The '89 Sub on SC did tickle my fancy – always wanted a birth year Sub – but I kept my head cool, and that's a pretty promising start to this project.

Craftsman
    Hopefully 2 out and 2 in next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After buying and flipping around 45 watches in 2017, I was determined to break the habit in 2018. If anything things got worse and I would be afraid to actually count the true number, but just playing with a few numbers in my head it must be 50+.

I have however ended 2018 with just two watches, which puts me in a good place for 2019. I currently have only the one Watch only on my wants list, which is the Steinhart Comex homage.

I do have one of the top collectors on the case for me, so won't buy anything else until I know if he has access to one or not.

My aim for 2019 is to be able to report this time next year that I have only bought one or two and sold nothing.

There is an old Yiddish proverb, that goes “Man plans and God laughs”!

If you had asked me 12 months ago what 2018 held for me, it would not have included the purchase of an Offshore Professional Field Engineer and a Rolex DSSD (nor for that matter would it have included a cancer diagnosis, treatment and the all-clear!).

So anything I say about plans for my watch collection should probably be taken with a large pinch of salt!

At the moment I’m thinking of selling around 6, and buying a Tudor Black Bay Bronze. We’ll see

Simon

Craftsman
    Think ill be selling a couple first before buying but my number 1 for 2019 is a 39mm railmaster followed by a MM300...

Watch purchase Goals for 2019

Just waiting for the Newmark 6BB, which I think will be it, unless I spot a Tudor 79170 at reasonable money

Dave

Dare I ask - does anyone know what the omega. 50th anniversary looks like or is it just people forming a queue and will find out what it looks like later?!

Craftsman
    Been toying with the idea of trying to get a BB58 on 0% finance but we shall see. Also going to keep and eye out on the 50th Speedie front!

Master
    Blog Entries
    As every year I say no more,but possibly another Air Ministry if more arrive.

Master
    I will have to declare that I am very happy with my collection of nine. In fact, I'm so enamoured with the two Tudor chrono's that I have acquired this year, that for the first time in forty-odd years, I'm at peace, no longer hungering for x-y-z. Sure, I wouldn't say no to an IWC 3717 if it dropped in my lap, but I am genuinely happy & have no plans to purchase in the foorseeable. Truly, madly, deeply loving my Tudor BB Heritage chrono' it's my perfect watch. If only this piece was released years ago, it might have saved me a great deal of money and sleepless nights.
    But you never know ............?!?!

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nealywheelie; 28th December 2018 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Dare I ask - does anyone know what the omega. 50th anniversary looks like or is it just people forming a queue and will find out what it looks like later?!
    Come on Rusty, there is nothing out there yet about this. I agree that it is almost 125% certain that something will be released and given the current market and it being a 50th (big anniversary) I suspect that the numbers will not be that limited. Why would you when there is serious cash to be made?

I am sure that it will be a stunner, but no investment piece. You heard it here first...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Come on Rusty, there is nothing out there yet about this. I agree that it is almost 125% certain that something will be released and given the current market and it being a 50th (big anniversary) I suspect that the numbers will not be that limited. Why would you when there is serious cash to be made?

I am sure that it will be a stunner, but no investment piece. You heard it here first...
    Honestly not even thought about 50th Anniv for moon landing till this thread.

And when Swatch has no shame.

Banned
    After buying and flipping around 45 watches in 2017, I was determined to break the habit in 2018. If anything things got worse and I would be afraid to actually count the true number, but just playing with a few numbers in my head it must be 50+.

I have however ended 2018 with just two watches, which puts me in a good place for 2019. I currently have only the one Watch only on my wants list, which is the Steinhart Comex homage.

I do have one of the top collectors on the case for me, so won't buy anything else until I know if he has access to one or not.

My aim for 2019 is to be able to report this time next year that I have only bought one or two and sold nothing.
    This guy really wants one too

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f89/wt...t-4498433.html

I really fancied an AP but service costs are putting me off,so I’m focused on one of these,all 3 would be good but I can’t see it-
    Pam 526
    Sd43
    Dssd Jc

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    He has already got one and is the guy who has a potential lead on one for me

Master

A serious question, because I am curious. What was the purpose of buying about 100 watches? Ten or 20, maybe, but 100?
    And if now focusing on just a handful, why pursue what is, in all honesty, just a copy of the real thing? I don’t get the plan behind all this. Must be missing something. Not being rude, just curious.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th December 2018 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    My plans for 2019 are to diversify the collection a bit - too many divers at the moment.

Hopefully a 214270 or a Speedmaster Professional. (Or both!)

Two tone sub for me, or possibly a Pam682.

Journeyman
    Only the 1 planned for me this year the Nomos glashutte club campus and MAYBEthe C65 diver 😬

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A serious question, because I am curious. What was the purpose of buying about 100 watches? Ten or 20, maybe, but 100?
    And if now focusing on just a handful, why pursue what is, in all honesty, just a copy of the real thing? I don’t get the plan behind all this. Must be missing something. Not being rude, just curious.
    It's called serial flipping. Clearly you don't own all the watches at the same time. Swings and roundabouts, buy 10 cheaper watches, then move them on and buy something a little more expensive. Get bored of that and sell it - and start again.

Clearly a Rolex Comex is out of the reach of most on this forum and probably wouldn't be available even if they did have the cash. Although the Steinhart is generally regarded as a homage to the Comex on forums, it isn't really, it is a very rare Steinhart, rumoured to be only 25 pieces produced, so actually fewer numbers than the actual Comex.

I am now aiming to put my flipping days behind me and just concentrate on certain watches that interest me. I am also looking for the Steinhart Macau Limited Edition, limited to 99 watches and made exclusively for a single shop in Macau. Long since sold out and very few appear second hand.

You will see that it isn't a homage to anything, 42mm, no crown guards, no date, no cyclops, gold hands and plots - it is a unique design and stunning.

It is impossible to justify flipping, do I ask you why white gold Daytona, switch to Ceramic Steel Daytona, then back to white gold Daytona etc - we do what we do

Ken, I think you peaked with a ceramic Daytona but it seemed to last all of 5mins, what happened ?

I just cannot help think Steinharts scream wannabe.

Journeyman
    3 on my 2019 list:
    1-GMT Batman - next on Ads list.

2-Tudor GMT

3-Speedy Professional

realistically will hopefully be 1 and one of 2 and 3. what are people's thoughts re the Tudor GMT vs the Speedy pro?

IWC Big Pilot and a bracelet to replace the rubber on the Sinn U1

Will chop in a Breitling Superocean 44mm to lessen the pain.

2018 was a year of consolidation for me; me and my girlfriend moved into our first home late 2017 and things needed sorting. I therefore had to sell 6 watches, including a Rolex 16610LV.

Having said that, I bought three watches; a Speedy Pro, a new Explorer and a Tudor BB58.

I can only think of one addition at this point; a 14060M. Next year, however, might be pushing it.

I thought that I would either buy a 39mm Planet Ocean or a Speedy sapphire sandwich, but then I saw the Blancpain 50 Fathoms, and decided on that, but then I noticed that our Glorious Leader is planning something not too dissimilar however, I can't remember what the planned model number is. Can anyone jog my memory please?

I haven't got deep pockets, but the FF is under £8k at one of the importers, Official Watches. It's so understated that no-one is likely to spot it.
    Last edited by Templogin; 26th December 2018 at 21:37. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Ken, I think you peaked with a ceramic Daytona but it seemed to last all of 5mins, what happened ?

I just cannot help think Steinharts scream wannabe.
    I disagree Ally, in all honesty the white dial SS Zenith Daytona that I had was far nicer than the Ceramic Daytona and the Porcelain dial was even better. At the time the Aquanaut was also viewed as a step up from a Daytona. So having been there, done that, how can I be labled as a wannabe.

I love my current Steinhart Vintage Red, but remember when I joined this forum my introduction watch was a Mark 3 DRSD, which logically is the height of my collecting if anything.

An £18k watch, which is now probably a £30k+ watch requires insurance, servicing, a safe to keep it in etc. A watch that looks similar, but is a few hundred quid makes perfect sense on many levels. Most of the 40mm Sports Rolex are too small for me, I prefer those extra 2mm.

to be satisfied with what i've already got...which i think i am....

Flipped a ceramic daytona after 6 months...liking a cartier normale 1919 in its place, though in fairness my 1979 longines tank qtz from 79 on a sorbek feels nicer...and on it goes.

Tony’s 16710.

The end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    to be satisfied with what i've already got...which i think i am....
    If only... ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxman View Post
    3 on my 2019 list:

2-Tudor GMT

3-Speedy Professional

realistically will hopefully be 1 and one of 2 and 3. what are people's thoughts re the Tudor GMT vs the Speedy pro?
    If you’re getting the batman then I would say go for the speedy

Or get the Tudor and speedy and you’ll have some spare change for a holiday !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post

Definitely want the Batman just really liked it when I tried one on and is the Rolex I would really like hence I have resisted the temptation to jump in on any other Rolex. With this in mind I have a budget of c. £3k for the other watch. I would like to buy new.

With discount the Speedy and tudor gmt are working out about the same price. pro for the Speedy is I can just go and get it from the AD I bought my seamaster from.

the Tudor is proving more problematic as the rolex/tudor AD has a long wait for them and doesnt seem keen on bumping me up the list until the Batman is sorted.

anyhow, open to other suggestion - perhaps I should start a new thread?

another couple of watches I was interested on were the IWC pilot watch IW327022 or a Bremont MB (although these seemed to get mixed write ups)

cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post

My thoughts too - I'd sooner have one GMT and one Chronograph than two GMTs of somewhat similar designs (if you squint!)

Quote Originally Posted by Waxman View Post
    3 on my 2019 list:

2-Tudor GMT

3-Speedy Professional

I think the Speedy would compliment the BLNR very well

Journeyman
    I'd love to add a Reverso, and a moonphase, ideally both at the same time, but I don't like the current offering, and the previous iteration is hard to find... Hoping they might come out with something new to along this line next year!

I've been concentrating on getting my old watches back into good order, so my main goal for next year will be to complete that task. Just my old man's MuDu and his work watch left to do. Otherwise, if I have the funds and Eddie has the stock, I hope to get a PRS-82. Oh, and if the forthcoming PRS-10 isn't too pricey, I may be tempted...

Craftsman
    First year on TZ, was a bit kid in a sweet shop - feel a small consolidation would be in order.

I’d be interested to try a grand seiko this year, maybe a gmt. But realistically since picking up a 16710 not much gets a look in (except eddies latest Everest!) so would need to be pretty special to get worn.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I disagree Ally, in all honesty the white dial SS Zenith Daytona that I had was far nicer than the Ceramic Daytona and the Porcelain dial was even better. At the time the Aquanaut was also viewed as a step up from a Daytona. So having been there, done that, how can I be labled as a wannabe.

I love my current Steinhart Vintage Red, but remember when I joined this forum my introduction watch was a Mark 3 DRSD, which logically is the height of my collecting if anything.

An £18k watch, which is now probably a £30k+ watch requires insurance, servicing, a safe to keep it in etc. A watch that looks similar, but is a few hundred quid makes perfect sense on many levels. Most of the 40mm Sports Rolex are too small for me, I prefer those extra 2mm.
    Nicely put. If anybody can say, 'been there, tried that, learned something from the experience', you can.

A Precista PRS-3LE in either blue or yellow, a Seiko SPB053, maybe a Smiths Air Ministry, and the upcoming Smiths chronograph with white dial, at which point I might just knock this whole daft game on the head.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

2019 goals for me are either a NOS 18k WG Sky Dweller on leather or if I save longer and harder, a PP 5960 in WG.

Should be fun either way

My goal is to have the same two watches at the end of the year as I have at the start. Something I’ve not been able to manage since joining this forum in 2013.

2018 for me saw 3 in and 3 out, still a net 9, worth counting, which is a manageable and wearable number. Achieved ‘goals’ this year, and will enjoy upgraded collection. Could be financially tough in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Something gold, dressy and not to run of the mill.