closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has anyone had their dinner yet?

Has anyone had their dinner yet?

Eta 1500 hrs here
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Eta 1500 hrs here
    Same for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yup.

Roast duck.

Just polishing of the remains of the valpolicella ripasso

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th December 2018 at 15:34.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Had some lovely English champagne earlier with some smoked salmon, might leave dinner a bit later.

Had ours yesterday. Just had a turkey, stuffing, coleslaw and lettuce sarnie, heaven.

Same here 3pm 

Thankfully I’m not cooking - and I would have preferred earlier as Im starving, but on a fairly restricted diet this week due to a very recent apicoectomy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Not yet I’m starving!!

Don’t be silly... pub’s still open!

Pictures of food aren't helping my hunger lol

Craftsman
    Can't Move!

Pud is now heating, next onslaught is at 17:30!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Pictures of food aren't helping my hunger lol
    Nom
    Nom

All done here. Just waiting for Her Madge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just a half hour delay from the scheduled time. Now having a break before pud.

Just had the main course: confit duck, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, pigs in blankets, broccoli, carrots etc. NB. No sprouts in this house! Nobody wants pudding yet though the kids will in about 30 minutes at my guess.

Have a great day everyone.
    Last edited by Skier; 25th December 2018 at 17:59.

1pm - my folks areca stickler for it

It seems crazy to me, but I’ll be ready for a cold meatvand pickles about 6pm

Merry Xmas all

Master
    1pm here as well, wife made a absolute feast......lovely👌

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    Don’t be silly... pub’s still open!

This

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Got up, went for a long walk, felt great - had a few glasses of wine and Christmas dinner and now feel like Cyril Smith after 10 bags of chips...

Lovely dinner, but a lot more than I would usually eat on a Tuesday lunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Got up, went for a long walk, felt great - had a few glasses of wine and now feel like Cyril Smith after 10 bags of chips...

Lovely dinner, but a lot more than I would usually eat on a Tuesday lunch time.
    Yep, I’m starfished now. Oooooof

Just had it - with just two of us, we build in big gaps between courses.

Blog Entries
    Happy one David

2013 x5m 0 60

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Nom
    Nom

Looks awesome Alex. I'm still waiting for the main course! At least they brought me some soup to keep me going.

Just finished feeding 16... gonna have a year off in 2019 and get another family member to take the reigns, would be nice to just turn up and get stuck in.

Merry Christmas all

Yep, I have just cooked my very first roast Christmas dinner for me and the kids.
    Wife left us earlier in the year (still well and happy just lives somewhere else), dinner was good and went well, so happy days.

Just got to he clearing up to do.

Merry Christmas.

We were having dinner at 4 - then the Mrs. fell asleep on the sofa for 2 hours. Fortunately, I'm on cookhouse today, so parked the dinner and it's now back on the go.. 6 pm it is!

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Yep, I have just cooked my very first roast Christmas dinner for me and the kids.
    Wife left us earlier in the year (still well and happy just lives somewhere else), dinner was good and went well, so happy days.

Merry Christmas.
    Good on you! It’s not easy doing a roast! Merry Xmas 🎅

Master
    3PM instead of 1pm. Somebody turned the aga down instead of up.

3pm, and pork for a change. Last year we had Turkey Trauma.

I have to admit to not being a fan of turkey, there are so few people that can cook it properly, and Monica’s cooking ethos is based on if it comes out of the oven black, at least it isn’t undercooked, and no-one will get poisoned - no really. No matter how many times I point out that there are 3 stages of cooking: undercooked, just right and overcooked, just right rarely seems to be an option, but buying her a timer has admittedly made great improvements to the fayre that comes forth from the oven.

Her boys always insist on turkey on xmas day, and I fear that they would have a tantrum of drama queen proportions were their poultry lust not satiated. I won’t eat the stuff. I have experienced it before, in this and other households. Better that a slice of it be used for mopping up unwanted spills, such is its potential for absorbency. I insisted that pork or lamb should also be served, the fat content of both meats, but especially the latter, would ensure that even a catering dullard such as I could not fail to turn out something not only edible, but enjoyable.

Rather than buy a turkey, which by their very nature are large, to fit into an oven that by its construction is very small, and nothing short of a severe molesting would get the turkey into the aforementioned oven, Monica opts for the purchase of a frozen turkey crown, bought some weeks before the locusts descend on the market that is super and is called Tesco.

The hands of the clock tick by and xmas approaches. The lump of turkey crown shaped permafrost is removed from the freezer and the instructions duly read: defrost for 9 hours in a fridge, and so the process begins. The turkey manufacturers have a typical fridge in mind. It will have plenty of room in it allowing the air to circulate about the frozen turkey crown, and the thermostat will probably be set too high. They had not envisaged Monica and her belief that all thermostats should barely be above zero, whether they control the heating system or the fridge, the latter of which is set a fraction of a degree above the point at which ice crystals form in the milk. The fridge is also packed so full that light bends around it.

Xmas day arrives. Everyone opens their presents and looks suitably impressed, having chosen them for themselves. Thoughts turn to the turkey. Extracting it from the fridge it is still in a state of semi permafrost. Dinner, that was planned for 3pm, is moved back to 5pm. Guests are informed. Being the nearest thing to a scientist the house I am approached for advice. I opine that it should be left out at room temperature. We return to surfing the net and then go for a walk in the surprisingly mild and definitely unseasonal temperatures. We arrive back. The turkey has started to defrost faster. Monica returns it to the fridge, which immediately slams the brakes on any further defrosting. The turkey enters a period of stasis. Dinner is postponed until 7pm.

At 5pm, with the oven at the required temperature, the pork having been unwrapped and rested for 20 minutes, the turkey crown is extracted form the fridge. A knife slid into the breast from above goes in nicely, however Monica turns the turkey over an finds ice crystals underneath a layer of skin and fat. I search my memory banks for the last case of death by turkey and suggest that she should shove in in the oven. An extra 15 minutes cooking will sort out any worries. Monica on this occasion disagrees, probably not wanting to risk her boys lives and puts the turkey back in the fridge.

Two hours later the pork is served along with roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings (the consolation for no turkey), and a selection of vegetables along with gravy. The meal is a roaring success. Everyone leaves the table full, for a rest before dessert is served. Meanwhile minds turn back to the turkey. Dessert is eaten, Tesco’s finest xmas pudding is the usual sensation and goes down well with all.

9pm arrives, and the turkey has been well prodded over the past couple of hours. It is deemed to be fully defrosted. The oven is fired up and the turkey crown goes in for two hours, resplendent in a waistcoat of streaky bacon to help retain the old bird’s moisture. By 11pm it is done to perfection and sits cooling down on the kitchen work top. Half an hour later Monica is keen to get to bed and goes to put the turkey in the fridge. I feel the underside of the dish that it is in and note that it is far too hot to go in the fridge. At that temperature it will raise the temperature in the fridge and risk ruining everything in there. I suggest that it is just left out on the work top overnight. I am sure that it will be fine. The cooking temperature will have killed off any pathogens. Monica doesn’t like this idea and asks if it could go in the shed outside. I agree and out it goes.

Half an hour later I look out of the window and decide that a wind-up is definitely the order of the day. I suggest that there are a dozen cats sat outside of the shed with knives and forks licking their lips. We have a little laugh and go to bed. Monica and I lay in the spoons position with her worrying about the turkey. She knows that she will be up at 3am, kept awake by my snoring, so she will take the turkey in then. I add to the agony by wondering aloud if rodents might be summoned from far and wide in a reverse Pied Piper stylee, brought into town to munch the Pothecary turkey.

The morning arrives. The turkey had survived unmolested by either the rodents or the felines of the neighbourhood. They weren’t interested in the turkey. It also turns out that neither of Monica’s sons now interested in eating turkey. I feel that I am excused as I said positively no turkey for me prior to the xmas festivities. My opinions on the bird being made loud and clear. Monica, who hates waste, eats a turkey sandwich every two hours, and feeds her resident son turkey sandwiches as often as she can get away with it. On the 30th of December the non-resident son turns up as a surprise and gets a surprise turkey sandwich. There is now no turkey left.

The moral of this story is that the turkey lesson has been learnt, and allegedly, there will be no turkey at the partner's residence next year, in fact there will be no grown-ups at the partner's residence next year as they will be avoiding the stress by booking into a hotel for the big day.

Canapés and fizz at 1:30, sat down for main at 3:30, followed by present opening.

Just about to have pudding.

Master

Merry Christmas.
    Nice one mate👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    turkey, mopping up unwanted spills, such is its potential for absorbency, both meats, severe molesting, lump of turkey crown, ice crystals form in the milk, packed so full, thoughts turn to the turkey, semi, pork, rested for 20 minutes, the turkey crown, slid into the breast from above, goes in nicely, dessert is eaten, well prodded over the past couple of hours, turkey crown, help retain the old bird’s moisture, licking their lips, lay in the spoons position with her worrying about the turkey, survived unmolested, interested in eating turkey, no turkey for me, eats a turkey sandwich every two hours and feeds her resident son turkey sandwiches as often as she can, son turns up as a surprise and gets a surprise turkey sandwich, there will be no turkey at the partner's residence next year.
    These words should never be included in the same post ever again...
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 26th December 2018 at 16:51.

Master

Merry Christmas.
    Well done, unfortunately you’ve set the bar now hope you’re having a well deserved rest.

Master
    Sat down to roast sirloin at 4pm today, just about to hit the Christmas pudding and mince pies.

Master
    Went to the pub...got a taste. Dinner will now be tomorrow as a result! Hic.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Went to the pub...got a taste. Dinner will now be tomorrow as a result! Hic.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

I like your style!

Blog Entries
    God knows I love my family…. After preparing and cooking a huge feast, I was looking forward to a bond film , or whatever, but, appearberky they want to play games…. Whoppeee

Thomas Reid
    We had ours last night. Not much of a fan of turkey. So, I made a venison stew with wild mushrooms, accompanied by rice and a simple salad. I made a bread pudding for pudding.

No buses today, so walked 3 miles (each way) to some friends' for a midday visit. Left-over stew for dinner. And more bread pudding!

Happy Christmas all!

Bob

Craftsman
    9.30 mass. Usually do kids mass evening before but my mum can't concentrate with all the kids so we did morning mass. Not many kids present.

I do the cooking so we had roast chicken and roast lamb. Being from goa/Indian origins both roast are marinated in an Indian masala mix. We do all the normal trimmings.

Unfortunately our sons freinds from schools mum passed away from a 5 year battle of cancer about 2 weeks ago. Only 45. So I had invited the dad and two kids over. After refusing to come I call them at 11am to come over and he says they would prefer to stay at home. 15mins later there is a knock on the door and all 3 are there. The kids begged him to bring them. We welcome them in and I chuck more pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings in the oven. Everyone eats at about 1pm and my son is happy playing with his freind and the daughter is happy having a nice meal with us as is their father. They leave after having dessert.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    These words should never be included in the same post ever again...
    Very good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    9.30 mass. Usually do kids mass evening before but my mum can't concentrate with all the kids so we did morning mass. Not many kids present.

I do the cooking so we had roast chicken and roast lamb. Being from goa/Indian origins both roast are marinated in an Indian masala mix. We do all the normal trimmings.

Unfortunately our sons freinds from schools mum passed away from a 5 year battle of cancer about 2 weeks ago. Only 45. So I had invited the dad and two kids over. After refusing to come I call them at 11am to come over and he says they would prefer to stay at home. 15mins later there is a knock on the door and all 3 are there. The kids begged him to bring them. We welcome them in and I chuck more pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings in the oven. Everyone eats at about 1pm and my son is happy playing with his freind and the daughter is happy having a nice meal with us as is their father. They leave after having dessert.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The true spirit of Christmas. I applaud you and your family.

I don’t want to talk about it.

We went out for grub this year, hopefully never again.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    We went out for grub this year, hopefully never again.
    We stayed at home, hopefully next year we'll have lunch out, though I'm plugging for a 'beach Christmas' somewhere.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Christmas is overshadowed by the fact that my 94 year-old father is in a nursing home, and mother (90) is unwell. Consequently, everything has to be arranged around them, and it's not easy for any of us.

Still. A two-bird roast, despite initial concerns that the birds involved might have been a sparrow and a chaffinch turned out to be turkey and duck, and jolly nice they were too.

Today's Plan A involving taking mother to spend the day with dad at the home has already become Plan C, which involves nothing of the sort, and everyone staying put. There's a bottle of something fizzy in the fridge, and the leftovers from yesterday, plus an assortment of cheeses, so that's today sorted.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Good luck Ian, I know what that's like. All the best. Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Good luck Ian, I know what that's like. All the best. Dave

Thanks, Dave. My sister and I share the burden. It's not easy.

Hope all is well with you.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.