closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Dads Old Seiko

Craftsman

My Dads Old Seiko

Out for dinner with the old man tonight and he was wearing his Seiko which I haven’t seen for years, forgot he even had it. Mum bought it for him about 46 years ago apparently, the bracelet felt a bit flimsy but was in pretty good nick for an old timer.

Can anyone shed any information on the watch? It’s an auto but that’s about all I know. Apologies for poor pictures, mood lighting in restaurant was dim lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogue, innit.

Search Seiko Pogue, loadsa info.

One of the "been in space" portfolio.

Happy Christmas to you, your dad, and your families.
    Last edited by unclealec; 25th December 2018 at 10:30.

Yes it is a pogue, really nice watch and there is loads of info on it with a quick search.

Very nice watches, I am lucky to have one too.

Merry Christmas.

Blog Entries
    Next Christmas gift suggestion: have it restored for your dad. Tons of info and addresses for that here on the forum.

Merry Christmas!

Menno

It’s a Seiko 6139, known as the Pogue because Colonel William Pogue took his into space with him in 1973 on NASA’s Skylab 4 mission.

These are much sought after amongst Seiko enthusiasts these days and a restored one would be worth good money.

Your mother has excellent taste!

Simon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dre...139-pogue/amp/

Some info here, decent read on a cool watch.
    J

Craftsman
    Many thanks for the info gents, I’ll do some reading. Seems like a pretty cool piece and it’s 7 years older than I am !!!

The watch is actually in fairly decent condition, just very poor quality photos. I think he had it serviced a few years ago.

He was wearing it because his bi-metal blue face sub keeps stopping and he thinks it needs a service. Turns out he’s never actually wound the watch, he just picks it up and rocks it gently then sticks it on his wrist. Had to show him that the first position of the crown out winds the watch 🤦*♂️😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Many thanks for the info gents, I’ll do some reading. Seems like a pretty cool piece and it’s 7 years older than I am !!!

The watch is actually in fairly decent condition, just very poor quality photos. I think he had it serviced a few years ago.

He was wearing it because his bi-metal blue face sub keeps stopping and he thinks it needs a service. Turns out he’s never actually wound the watch, he just picks it up and rocks it gently then sticks it on his wrist. Had to show him that the first position of the crown out winds the watch 臘*♂️
    May 1974 by the looks of the case back.

Apprentice
    Wow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Master
    Blimey, no offence OP but I can't believe you have been a member of this forum for over two years and never seen or heard of a Pogue before.

Master
    I’ve been around here for a while and although I’ve heard of a pogue but wouldn’t know how to recognise one.
    Now I do. Kind of. It’s not a great picture

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I’ve been around here for a while and although I’ve heard of a pogue but wouldn’t know how to recognise one.
    Now I do. Kind of. It’s not a great picture

You'll know one when you see it. They're pretty distinctive!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Blimey, no offence OP but I can't believe you have been a member of this forum for over two years and never seen or heard of a Pogue before.
    I thought pogues were a band 😂

Master
    I thought pogues were a band 
    That are only heard if at Christmas

Definitely from The Decade That Taste Forgot.

But they are so bad that they are good; I love mine.

The Seiko Pogue that is; I don't own my own rock band.
    Last edited by unclealec; 26th December 2018 at 01:09.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I must admit that surprised me a little, too ...

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I must admit that surprised me a little, too ...

Simon
    Sorry gents, every day’s a learning day. It’s hard finding Seiko threads in amongst all the Rolex threads 😉

He was wearing it because his bi-metal blue face sub keeps stopping and he thinks it needs a service. Turns out he’s never actually wound the watch, he just picks it up and rocks it gently then sticks it on his wrist. Had to show him that the first position of the crown out winds the watch 臘*♂️
    You can do some reading about pogues here.

By the way your dad is correct with just picking the watch up and gently shaking it to start it off, the first position of the crown doesn't wind the watch because the calibre 6139 isn't a hand windable movement!

Craftsman
    Sorry, i meant he was doing this with his submariner so it was never fully charged and would stop a few hours after he took it off

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one of these new on a ferry back to Blighty after a football tourney in France.

Paid either 39.99 or 79.99 and I still have it. Been with me through thick and very thin.

Had it serviced last year and it was brought back to stunning life by Duncan, who kept it all original.

When I see threads such as this it brings back happy memories of times gone by and youthful sporting successes.

KEEP IT. DO NOT SELL IT.

Jim

Was your Dad in the forces by any chance? These were very popular amongst the lads serving abroad in the late 60's through 70's. My Dad got his about the same time as yours, bought it in the Akrotiri NAAFI. He gave it to me when I was a teenager in the 80's and now it belongs to my oldest son, so sentimentally very valuable.

These old seiko chronos are simply amazing. I went through a phase owning 4/5 of them some years ago (though oddly never a Pogue) and love the big bold designs. I'm only left with one - a 6138-3002, the first one that started it all for me.

I don't know why Seiko never made these again - though thinking about it wouldn't be cheap in this market....

Craftsman
    No, he wasn’t in the forces. I’ll have to ask my mum if she can remember why she chose it, doublt she’ll remember after 40+ plus years lol

Uber cool retro piece, great story!

Craftsman
    Love a Pogue.. Treat her to a spa break and get her back looking brand new!