closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's amazing what you can find in an ADs safe

It's amazing what you can find in an ADs safe

A large independent I use on occasions recently let me know that they had located a few watches in their holding safe (used for when customers place a zero value reservation). In this instance the customers never completed the transaction and because of the chaotic systems used in the AD the watches were essentially 'off the radar'.

So a Speedy 60th was one of the watches and the AD knew I'd been interested and so I managed to get it BNIB today with a slight discount.

But there was more. They had some other watches in that safe. Nothing too special apart from one other piece. And yes I got a slight discount too and it's coming home with me. And I'm so lucky......

That other watch was an Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy.

#offtobuyalotteryticket

Good karma, after all the positive stuff you`ve shown on this forum.

Master
    Well done fella. If anyone deserved a tickle it was you given the great offerings you give to the forum. A very happy Xmas present.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If ever a find was deserved, then its you Ryan. Merry Christmas

Steve

Master
    The AD “found” some watches in “the back of the safe” that had been “forgotten”.

If anyone believes that, they are either naive or gullible.

Well done Ryan, that's like a lottery win - the Snoopy is now selling for £20k+ and there are plenty of buyers

Craftsman
    Wow, what a watch (never came across this model before), and an amazing find.. a very nice xmas present.. enjoy!

Nice one Ryan, good karma. Not a bad xmas pressie to yourself. Enjoy.
    J

Craftsman
    That's a great thing to happen. Very happy for you, and just in time for Christmas.

Wow! That is fantastic luck (I know - you make your own luck).
    Well done, it is a lovely watch and from what I have seen in my short time here you deserve it.

Merry Christmas, Ryan - as others have said, it seems like reasonable karmic reward given all you do for forum members.

Merry Xmas

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    The AD “found” some watches in “the back of the safe” that had been “forgotten”.

If anyone believes that, they are either naive or gullible.
    Who cares about the back story, some cracking watches and a great find. Even from my short tenure here I know it couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke. 👍🏻

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Well done Ryan, that's like a lottery win - the Snoopy is now selling for £20k+ and there are plenty of buyers
    Wow, didn’t realise it had got that crazy!

I had to google the ‘silver snoopy’ but what a watch!!

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke, good on you Ryan.

Well done Ryan and well-deserved too, IMO.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Well Done, Pleased for You!

Have a Good One.

Master
    Great news Ryan, congrats :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess Sahara will be pinging you a PM.

Mike

Craftsman
    I was speaking to a dealer recently about a new Ploprof. Turned out it wasn’t quite so ‘new’ having been in and out of their safe over a 5 year period.

Good snag and well done,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using TZ-UK mobile app

Ehm..well done.Why would a dealer let a watch like that(snoopy) go at a discount off the list price? An independent as well so thought they would of known better.Wouldn't want to be around when he finds out the "secondhand" value.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Absolutely awesome.

I checked down the back of my safe, and I found a couple of old first day covers

Happy to swap...

Master
    Just remember not to sell it for anything more than what you paid for it in sales corner or there’ll be a lynchin’ lol.

Seriously though. Superb finds well done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Merry Xmas Ryan 😉

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    With all the favors you’ve done for members, it’s well deserved (as others have mentioned already)

All the best

Rick

Ok, I know this can happen from personal experience.
    It’s 1988, I’ve been working for a year (I wasn’t even 20 at the time) and decide to buy a decent watch with my first commission cheque. Run down to a jewellers near Bank station on a Friday after work and leave with a brand new Omega speedmaster. Can’t remember the exact price but about £700 I think. Anyhow, over the weekend I am disappointed to find the hour hand moving every time I reset the Chrono. Monday evening I’m in the jewellers for an exchange and the other one they have in stock has the same issue. At this point the Manager is all apologetic and mentions ‘we’ve got an old model Rolex in the safe we didn’t know we had, it’s a cheap Submariner with no date and a plastic glass, I’ll sell it for the same £750, do a straight swap’ - I was delighted as I thought a Rolex was well out of my price range and loved that watch to bits. I remember taking it for a service (somewhere near Bond Street before they moved to st James?) And the watchmaker commenting he’d not seen one in such good condition for a 70’s Sub and I told him the story.
    The annoying bit is I’m not sure of the model as this was in my pre-wis days - must have been a 5513 but possibly a 5512? - as I sold it to David Duggan in about 1995 for £5000, which I still regret a little - although it was a down payment on my first flat I bought with my then girlfriend, now wife of 22 years, and £5k seemed a good return on £700! - but still remember leaving with a big handful of cash and a heavy heart!
    I wouldn’t believe it if it hadn’t happened to me, funny thing is I could swear ‘Submariner’ was written in red but as far as I’m aware there aren’t any red 5513’s or 5512’s?
    Anyhow, I replaced it eventually with a 16610 as my wife used to say ‘that watch just makes me think of you’ but I must have flipped about 5 in the years since and none of them were the same as that cheap plastic glass sub with no date and a rattly bracelet - not that I could afford to replace it now anyway

Blog Entries
    Not doubting you Ryan but every AD will know the value of the silver snoopy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post

I imagine Ryan has a good relationship with his AD and is a highly valued customer…. You look after good customers!

Really pleased for you Ryan…. Lovely pick up…

Make sure you wear it Xmas day!

Ding, Dong! What a deal!
    Can I go half and half on your lottery ticket Ryan?!

Merry Christmas everyone

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post

Every Rolex AD also knows the grey market value of a SS Daytona but will not sell at that price.

As it turns out it is being turned into a SS white dial Daytona in a trade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A large independent I use on occasions recently let me know that they had located a few watches in their holding safe (used for when customers place a zero value reservation). In this instance the customers never completed the transaction and because of the chaotic systems used in the AD the watches were essentially 'off the radar'.

So a Speedy 60th was one of the watches and the AD knew I'd been interested and so I managed to get it BNIB today with a slight discount.

But there was more. They had some other watches in that safe. Nothing too special apart from one other piece. And yes I got a slight discount too and it's coming home with me. And I'm so lucky......

That other watch was an Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy.

#offtobuyalotteryticket
    Boom! Nice one Ryan, what a result. Well deserved. Xmas came a couple of days early

Fantastic, what a great way to close out the year. A very desirable watch, well done!

Craftsman
    Every Rolex AD also knows the grey market value of a SS Daytona but will not sell at that price.

As it turns out it is being turned into a SS white dial Daytona in a trade deal.
    Nice trade! Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Am I understanding this, it’s now worthy of congratulations to be buying rare watches just to turn in for big profits ?

TZ has changed.

It's amazing what you can find in an ADs safe

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Am I understanding this, it’s now worthy of congratulations to be buying rare watches just to turn in for big profits ?

TZ has changed.
    No it’s worthy of congratulations for a member that has given countless watches at or below RRP to get a sweet pick up like this one. There’s not one member here wouldn’t have loved that moment (had it happened to them). The trade for a Daytona is irrelevant. But then I think you know that. Stop stirring.

TZ has changed.
    Yep and no it's not changed

TZ has changed.
    To be fair Ally, this is a Watch that retailed at £4.6k and was selling for £8.5k within months and since has taken off and is now selling for in excess of £20k, it is complete madness. For Ryan to get one not only at RRP but with discount is incredible by any standards and most people think he is very deserving given the amount of money that he has saved people on here over the years.

I don't think it's about the money, more about the karma coming round and rewarding Ryan for his deeds.

Think about it logically, if Ryan can turn a £4K purchase into a SS Daytona that is a victory that most of us on a watch forum can only applaud.

We all moan about the secondary markets and the madness of the premiums being asked for the hot watches by greedy dealers and this is very much a case of the little guy winning.

That's the point of all this, a moral victory more than a financial one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    To be fair Ally, this is a Watch that retailed at £4.6k and was selling for £8.5k within months and since has taken off and is now selling for in excess of £20k, it is complete madness. For Ryan to get one not only at RRP but with discount is incredible by any standards and most people think he is very deserving given the amount of money that he has saved people on here over the years.

I don't think it's about the money, more about the karma coming round and rewarding Ryan for his deeds.

Think about it logically, if Ryan can turn a £4K purchase into a SS Daytona that is a victory that most of us on a watch forum can only applaud.

We all moan about the secondary markets and the madness of the premiums being asked for the hot watches by greedy dealers and this is very much a case of the little guy winning.

That's the point of all this, a moral victory more than a financial one.
    Top post!!

Cannot wait to see the pictures

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Great trade. To be honest I cannot stand the “failure is not an option” text on the snoopy dial. That quote was made up for the Tom Hanks movie and was never said by anyone in NASA. Detracts from what is a lovely watch in my opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Snoopys will keep rising! Don’t turn it into a Daytona! Keep it!

Pretty sure I’ve read from the OP that he isn’t fond of the Daytona ? Why not skip a step and trade the Snoopy in for cold hard cash ?

A boastful episode this one.

Again.

Master
    Pretty sure I’ve read from the OP that he isn’t fond of the Daytona ? Why not skip a step and trade the Snoopy in for cold hard cash ?

Again.
    You really do suck the joy out of any conversation you pollute. Jealous perchance? At least his profit was honest and not at another's expense eh?
    Last edited by Padders; 24th December 2018 at 07:18.

Again.
    And you're being an ar$e.

Again.

Good on you OP, as has already been said your luck is deserved.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice find,what comes around goes around you deserve it.

Blog Entries
    Ryan. Well done! Well deserved. Merry Christmas!

Martyn.

Again.
    Resentful, disrespectful, argumentative same old junk coming from you each post. Grow up get a grip and for once how nice it is that karma comes back and rewards the deserving. Top pick up and well deserved! Merry Christmas!

It does make you think out of the entire release how many are actually in the wild and the amount ‘lost’ like in this situation.

Congrats on a great pick up and the trade. Enjoy the Daytona!

Master
    Ryan,
    Congratulations mate, you deserve it. The watch is a beauty, but fair play on getting a daytona at trade, as long as it is what you want:) I would personally have kept the snoopy! I was going too say there are no more, but clearly your past shows otherwise.