closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster bracelet: half link?

Master

Omega Speedmaster bracelet: half link?

I have a new Omega speedmaster pro moon watch that I love, problem is I can’t get the right fit on the bracelet. It is either too tight or loose...can’t believe there is only 2 micro adjustment holes in the clasp, how did Omega think that would work?! Is it possible to buy a half link for it?? I’ve heard other talking about buying another clasp, what clasp is this and how much does it does. Not wanting really to splash out too much so if any cheap fixes please let me know. If I could adjust by a few more mm it would be a perfect fit.

Cheers
    Mike

Master
    The only downside to the speedy !

Virtually everyone is in the same boat with it, either too loose or too tight.

No half links for the newer bracelets at all. ( Crazy )

You can buy the SMP adjustable clasp and two half links for that but they will set you back a good couple of hundred.

Master
    Thanks Ivan, I’ve done a bit of googling...is the clasp I need the 117STZ001154? Annoying but it will be money well spent as I currently can’t wear it on the bracelet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just eyeballing it, the adjustment on the clasp appears to be pretty much the same as a half link. In contrast, I've half links on my seamaster, and it's the same case on never being quite perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Thanks Ivan, I’ve done a bit of googling...is the clasp I need the 117STZ001154? Annoying but it will be money well spent as I currently can’t wear it on the bracelet!

Yes you can use that. The clasp is quite long and has 6 micro adjustment positions. There is also a similar clasp (117stz004666), which is shorter and has 4 micro adjustment positions.

https://www.swisswatchspares.com/pro...er-steel-clasp

Craftsman
    Just buy the micro adjustment clasp Mike. I'm about to do it on my SM 2254 (when I get paid) as it's a well known mod for the 1610/930 bracelet.

Contact John at Swiss Watch Spares he knows all there is to know on this and he'll sort you out.

Won't be cheap though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks Mark and Will, will check out swisswatchspares.

Master
    Apart from the size any other considerations I should be making between the 4 or 6 position adjustable clasp? On the wrist do they feel the same? I’m thinking of going for the larger size, would be nice so when fitted and sized it’s everyday/normal position would still allow adjustment smaller or larger...with the smaller one I risk buying and its normal/everyday position is at the end of its adjustable range, or would 4 clasp positions be enough? On my Tudor Pelagos the clasp has 4 position settings (if include the spring loaded one) and it is worn on the spring loaded one or the very smallest one if I add a link back in, hence my thinking that the 4 position clasp for the omega may not be enough.

Craftsman
    Apart from the size any other considerations I should be making between the 4 or 6 position adjustable clasp? On the wrist do they feel the same? I’m thinking of going for the larger size, would be nice so when fitted and sized it’s everyday/normal position would still allow adjustment smaller or larger...with the smaller one I risk buying and its normal/everyday position is at the end of its adjustable range, or would 4 clasp positions be enough? On my Tudor Pelagos the clasp has 4 position settings (if include the spring loaded one) and it is worn on the spring loaded one or the very smallest one if I add a link back in, hence my thinking that the 4 position clasp for the omega may not be enough.
    Not sure on that Mike tbh, however there seems to be a big price difference for some reason (i.e. the *4666 is cheaper). Also i think it's a 6 or 3 position and these threads from another forum may shed some light. I'd be interested in the outcome as i will be doing this in the new year (although with my SMP with practically the same bracelet).

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/11...a-4492833.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/wh...609002-11.html

P.s. just to make it more complicated i think you can chose between a couple of different end links although yours may be screwed rather than pinned like on mine depending on year (with screwed links i think it's more straightforward from memory). Also one of the main complaints is that it does away with the 'Speedmaster Professional' and 'Seamaster Professional' text on the clasp but that doesn't bother me personally.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 23rd December 2018 at 09:41.

Master
    Cheers Will, having a think I’ll go for the 6 position one. The clasp size seems like it will be similar to my Pelagos and comfort wise that is fine. Re the clasp text, ditto, not overly bothered...much rather a bracelet that is comfortable to wear. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    Mike

Craftsman
    No worries Mike i'll be interested to hear how you get on. I still think it's nuts that Omega don't include them on all their steel sports watches, but apparently that's finally changing as they are now on the new SMPc's (about time).

When i was looking into this a few months back the thing i found really difficult wasn't the part numbers themselves, but finding someone that would actually sell them to me. Swatch Group wouldn't, and neither would any of their AD's as they won't allow any deviation from standard specs on their watches. John @ Swiss Watch Spares seems to be pretty much the last man standing as the only other one i knew of was Ofrei in the US and theirs have dried up. I wonder if John will eventually which will be a shame.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 23rd December 2018 at 09:59.

Master
    For the screw link bracelet fitted to the latest model Speedmater Pro bracelet there is indeed no half link available, but for the earlier 3570 model, which was current from 1997 to around 2012, there is a half link option for the 1998/840 bracelet those used. The half link from the 1610 bracelet fitted to the sword hands SMP fits perfectly and is available from ADs and boutiques for around £30. This is common knowledge in Omega circles but thought I would post it in case it helps someone with a 3570 out as they made them for a long period.

Any AD or boutique can supply bracelet parts with no restriction if they so choose. If you are getting push back because you are altering the standard spec, the trick is to know your part number and the watch the part is std spec for and ask for that. They have had their fingers burnt with people ordering modding parts which don't work then returning them so just don't tell them it is for a mod. I have had no issues with ordering from my local boutique at all.

ps regarding SWS mentioned above, some patience may be needed if dealing with him at present as he has suffered a tragedy and may not be fully up and running.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd December 2018 at 12:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    some patience may be needed if dealing with him at present as he has suffered a tragedy and may not be fully up and running.
    Didn't know that.

Sorry to hear.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 23rd December 2018 at 17:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    No worries Mike i'll be interested to hear how you get on. I still think it's nuts that Omega don't include them on all their steel sports watches, but apparently that's finally changing as they are now on the new SMPc's (about time).

When i was looking into this a few months back the thing i found really difficult wasn't the part numbers themselves, but finding someone that would actually sell them to me. Swatch Group wouldn't, and neither would any of their AD's as they won't allow any deviation from standard specs on their watches. John @ Swiss Watch Spares seems to be pretty much the last man standing as the only other one i knew of was Ofrei in the US and theirs have dried up. I wonder if John will eventually which will be a shame.
    Swiss watch spares has what I need but didn’t realise the end links were so expensive...looking at £300 odd all in...think I’ll wait and see if someone responds to my WTB first before buying new as I only wear the watch 1 day a week max.

Master
    I ordered mine from Goldsmiths and it cost £190 all-in. That was 3 months ago so unless there's been a massive price hike I imagine you'll find cheaper than what you've been quoted by SWS. Still not cheap I know, but slightly better!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I ordered mine from Goldsmiths and it cost £190 all-in. That was 3 months ago so unless there's been a massive price hike I imagine you'll find cheaper than what you've been quoted by SWS. Still not cheap I know, but slightly better!
    Exactly. Always better to go direct to an Omega dealer for these kind of parts these days, no one else is as cheap. As I mentioned above, don't advertise that it is for a mod and you should be fine. If not find a boutique or AD who will help.

Craftsman
    As I mentioned above, don't advertise that it is for a mod and you should be fine.
    That must be where i went wrong Padders. I was naively honest and i was knocked back by everyone i asked other that SWS.

Master
    Exactly. Always better to go direct to an Omega dealer for these kind of parts these days, no one else is as cheap. As I mentioned above, don't advertise that it is for a mod and you should be fine. If not find a boutique or AD who will help.
    Oh I was completely honest about why I wanted it and their in-store technician was even going to fit it for me (although I ended up selling the watch before getting around to that!)

For the screw link bracelet fitted to the latest model Speedmater Pro bracelet there is indeed no half link available, but for the earlier 3570 model, which was current from 1997 to around 2012, there is a half link option for the 1998/840 bracelet those used. The half link from the 1610 bracelet fitted to the sword hands SMP fits perfectly and is available from ADs and boutiques for around £30. This is common knowledge in Omega circles but thought I would post it in case it helps someone with a 3570 out as they made them for a long period.

Any AD or boutique can supply bracelet parts with no restriction if they so choose. If you are getting push back because you are altering the standard spec, the trick is to know your part number and the watch the part is std spec for and ask for that. They have had their fingers burnt with people ordering modding parts which don't work then returning them so just don't tell them it is for a mod. I have had no issues with ordering from my local boutique at all.

ps regarding SWS mentioned above, some patience may be needed if dealing with him at present as he has suffered a tragedy and may not be fully up and running.
    Just to add to Padders post, here are shots of the packaging and fitting when I added a half-link to my 3570. It made a world of difference. Having said that, I now have my Speedy on a 1171/1 which although rattly is much more comfortable than the heavy 1998.

I fitted it one link in to "conceal" it underneath, which I think at the time I originally posted this, set off the OCD alarm bells of a few members. :)

Master

Good to know, will try ordering via an AD or omega direct. I’m going for 6 position clasp 117STZ001154, can anyone let me know the product code of the end links I need.

Cheers
    Mike

Master
    Good to know, will try ordering via an AD or omega direct. I’m going for 6 position clasp 117STZ001154, can anyone let me know the product code of the end links I need.

Cheers
    Mike

End links: 118ST1589 (x2)
    Clasp: 117STZ001154

Master
    End links: 118ST1589 (x2)
    Clasp: 117STZ001154
    Great, thanks. And these are the end links for the new speedy pro bracelet?

Master
    Great, thanks. And these are the end links for the new speedy pro bracelet?
    Yes, they're the right ones.

Master
    Yes, they're the right ones.
    Thanks. Just ordered via a boutique for £162.34 for clasp and 2 x endlinks. Not too bad. Will update once received and fitted to my watch.

Cheers
    Mike

Master
    The speedy moon pro has seen a price rise of 4.5% as per Omega website. Rumour has it the price increase reflects the addition of a new adjustable clasp. The Omega boutique at this stage couldn’t confirm this though (they didn’t even know about the price rise), should know more in the new year. They did say however that if it was due a new clasp that the clasp on its own wouldn’t be available to purchase for about 6 months, not sure how true this is given I basically told them of the price rise.

Anyways, if there is a new speedy adjustable clasp that is being rolled dilemma is do I wait for that or just buy what I have just ordered (but not paid for) from the Omega boutique. Perhaps the new clasp (if there is one) will be a straight swap so no need to to buy endlinks, so potentially cheaper. Hopefully the boutique can advise further in the new year.

Craftsman
    I had the same issue. Take a look.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks. Just ordered via a boutique for £162.34 for clasp and 2 x endlinks. Not too bad. Will update once received and fitted to my watch.

Cheers
    Mike
    Sounds like a good price if you do go down this route. Interesting though to hear that Omega might finally be wising up and updating to an adjustable clasp as standard!

Master
    There was a price rise around 12 months ago on the speedy and now another. I wonder if they will keep pushing it right up to the 5k mark ?

The adjustable bracelet if true will be a massive upgrade for the speedy. Every single person I've ever spoken to can never get the right fight on the bracelet and that includes myself.

Master
    Its worth remembering that the half link isn't half the size of the full link -it's around 6mm vs 9mm - so various combinations of half and full links will get you 3mm increments - eg:

1 half link = 6mm
    1 full link = 9mm
    2 half links =12mm
    1 half + 1 full = 15mm
    2 full links - 18mm
    2 half + 1 full = 21mm

I've had a Speedy Pro and still have a Seamaster 2264 and managed, with a bit of trial and error and a patient watchmaker, to get a comfortable fit for both watches.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    The only downside to the speedy !

Virtually everyone is in the same boat with it, either too loose or too tight.

No half links for the newer bracelets at all. ( Crazy )

You can buy the SMP adjustable clasp and two half links for that but they will set you back a good couple of hundred.
    I returned mine after a week because I just couldn't get the thing to fit properly. Loved the watch, terrible shame about the bracelet but I wasn't prepared to pay more cash, as a point of principle because they didn't design the thing properly.

Am I right in thinking the previous bracelet design had better adjustability?

Master

Omega Speedmaster bracelet: half link?

Just to update that i sourced a clasp and endlinks direct from an Omega boutique (£162) and fitted to my speedy pro last night.

A massive improvement. For the first time since buying the watch in August I can now wear on the bracelet in comfort. I actually prefer the look and feel of the new clasp which is bigger, with larger clasp release buttons and bevelled edges.

For anyone on the fence on whether to do this i would say go for it. It’s great having on the fly adjustment too. Luckily too for normal wear the micro adjustment is in its middle setting so have a few adjustments either up or down depending how my wrists swells/shrinks following changes in the temperature.

Quick pic for now...will post more later next to the original speedy clasp

Craftsman
    Just to update that i sourced a clasp and endlinks direct from an Omega boutique (£162) and fitted to my speedy pro last night.

A massive improvement. For the first time since buying the watch in August I can now wear on the bracelet in comfort. I actually prefer the look and feel of the new clasp which is bigger, with larger clasp release buttons and bevelled edges.

For anyone on the fence on whether to do this i would say go for it. It’s great having on the fly adjustment too. Luckily too for normal wear the micro adjustment is in its middle setting so have a few adjustments either up or down depending how my wrists swells/shrinks following changes in the temperature.

Quick pic for now...will post more later next to the original speedy clasp

Looks great Mike, and more importantly solves the issue. I'm planning to do this on my SMP300 2254 one day (when I get around to it).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Ive just had mine fitted and if it tap the clasp from underneath it makes a clacking sort of noise? Is this normal?

Apprentice

Just Ordered: BRAND NEW Omega Speedmaster Bracelet with Adjustable Clasp (Speedy Pro)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    Ive just had mine fitted and if it tap the clasp from underneath it makes a clacking sort of noise? Is this normal?
    Hi I've just ordered through the Service Centre a BRAND NEW Speedy bracelet with adjustable clasp, to address this fitment problem with the Speedmaster Professional.
    It costs SGD S$1,055, once the bracelet is procured and fitted, I'll share the pictures and findings with all.