closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another TZ profiteer!

Craftsman
    Asking price versus what it sells for are never the same..hopefully what it originally sold for is more realistic price... poor show, but impossible to stop..

Shouldn’t this be in H&V ?

If you feel mad, you should have asked what it was worth in the first place, you sold it too cheap, the new owner doesn't have to, if he doesn't like it and wants to sell, he is free to ask what its worth, given the new price, it seems ok. GLWTS.

Why is this an issue? Someone bought it, now they're selling it... So what?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

This thread looks like it'll be worth keeping tabs on, ze list awaits,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It was 18 months ago the SC sale, I have watches from 12-18 months ago that have gone up in market value, perhaps the current price is correct and the original sale price was a little low..

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    If you feel mad, you should have asked what it was worth in the first place, you sold it too cheap, the new owner doesn't have to, if he doesn't like it and wants to sell, he is free to ask what its worth, given the new price, it seems ok. GLWTS.
    This. It was sold too cheaply. The new owner owns it and can ask £10k for it if he likes.

For me there’s no problem at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches View Post
    Will be sad to see it go apparently......
    I’d be delighted to see it go. That is one fugly watch!

Predatory actions are distasteful.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

To the OP: I’m not sure why you feel you have the right to pass judgement on another members morals.

He bought the watch at an absurdly cheap price imo (and I know something about s/hand Doxa values), so selling it on eBay for the same price would have been equally absurd.

Simon

I think after 18 months it's fair game. If it was 18 hours it would be a different story. At least he's worn the thing for a year and a half.

But as someone else pointed out, it's fecking hideous anyway so good luck getting the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think after 18 months it's fair game. If it was 18 hours it would be a different story. At least he's worn the thing for a year and a half.
    That.

There is little to be outraged about. This is a million miles away from snapping up a bargain on SC (or a limited edition Omega or a difficult to get steel Rolex) and flipping for a profit.

If it has risen that much in 18 months then good luck to the guy.

Apprentice
    Absurd to flame someone for offering to sell any watch for any price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why was it on Ebay and not offered back here?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg75 View Post

That's the spirit Greg. We're glad you're here

Wow, how did I miss that ridiculous low priced Doxa originally, that was way too cheap.
    I’m against profiteering, but on this occasion it was always going to happen, so fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg75 View Post
    There is much history here Greg you probably need to bone up on?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It’s a shame it wasnt offered back, as that’s what the original seller in the thread has done in the past, but 18 months later is not quite the same as hoovering up with the intention of selling on quickly for a profit imho.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    There’s people dying in the world and you’re getting your knickers in a twist about the price of a watch on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    There’s people dying in the world and you’re getting your knickers in a twist about the price of a watch on eBay.
    Just stop all watch threads now - there's people dying in the world!
    I've always been of the opinion that if you buy something at market rate on the forum you should feel free to sell it at any time for whatever you want. This Doxa obviously wasn't bought at market rate though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Just stop all watch threads now - there's people dying in the world!
    I've always been of the opinion that if you buy something at market rate on the forum you should feel free to sell it at any time for whatever you want. This Doxa obviously wasn't bought at market rate though.
    Well said that man!

Master
    What's the big deal ?

Peoole need to chill out on here.

Peoole want to sell, someone buys. The new owner can then decide to sell.......they own it.

There seems to be a belief amongst some members that once a watch has been sold through SC it somehow then ‘belongs’ to the forum forever. I would totally agree that it is good manners for a ‘catch & release’ to be put back up on Sales Corner, but the idea that 18 months can pass and the owner of the watch still cannot sell their own property on the open market for current market value seems unreasonable. Labelling that person publicly on Watch Talk as a profiteer is just wrong.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    There seems to be a belief amongst some members that once a watch has been sold through SC it somehow then ‘belongs’ to the forum forever. I would totally agree that it is good manners for a ‘catch & release’ to be put back up on Sales Corner, but the idea that 18 months can pass and the owner of the watch still cannot sell their own property on the open market for current market value seems unreasonable. Labelling that person publicly on Watch Talk as a profiteer is just wrong.

Simon
    Absolutely agree. While everyone will have their own cut-off point at which a watch can be sold on at a meaningful profit, I don't think any reasonable person should name and shame the guy as a profiteer after he has held on to a watch for a year and a half.

Let's look at the watch though, it's not an Omega limited edition or highly sought-after Rolex, it's an interesting curio at best and at worst could be described as a seriously undesirable munter... It'd be a brave dealer/profiteer who takes a punt on one of those rising significantly in value in a year and a half.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Probably because its easier then selling here.

Master
    How the heck someone can track sales made 18 months ago is beyond me
    I there some sort of computer programme Raffe and folks use for this.
    Pretty impressive but a wee bit sad at the same time.

I see that 12manywatches and blackal have also posted the eBay link on the original sales post. Out of order imo.

Simon

Master
    Everything, be it a 50 story building down to a condom is worth precisely what someone else is prepared to pay for it. The price that someone paid for it yesterday is neither here nor there. That is the basic rule of buying and selling since the year dot and the SC is no exception.

I purchased a watch from this forum 9 years ago. Can I get everyone's permission to sell it for a profit or is that considered bad form?

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If the buyer has a track record for hoovering up watches and reselling at a profit then fair enough, but if it’s one watch a year and a half down the road, then what point is the OP trying to prove by this?

I think the OP’s absence since starting it says everything. This thread has not gone well.

Utterly ludicrous thread, and borderline hysterical behaviour. Things get bought and sold at a profit all the time - it's how the economy works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Everything, be it a 50 story building down to a condom is worth precisely what someone else is prepared to pay for it. The price that someone paid for it yesterday is neither here nor there. That is the basic rule of buying and selling since the year dot and the SC is no exception.
    Glad you've cleared this up Mick.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

But as someone else pointed out, it's fecking hideous anyway so good luck getting the asking price.
    brutal but true.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Glad you've cleared this up Mick.
    Glad to have been of service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I purchased a watch from this forum 9 years ago. Can I get everyone's permission to sell it for a profit or is that considered bad form?

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you bought it off me, I want it back at what you paid🤡🤡

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Because then many more had whining as usual.

I do not understand why people have problems with this type of business.
    It would have been another matter if it was something deceptive. We all
    earn money in different ways and this is one way.

Sometimes nobody wants to buy your watch on here, even if you bought it here previously. A few times I've had to resort to ebay because my watch wasn't in fashion here at the time I decided to sell. It's no big deal, so if it goes to ebay or elsewhere, it's going for the full market value. It's not a crime.

Simon
    Spot on, Simon.

Excellent post ! I know how he feels - I sold an old Vw and it’s now worth several thousand more - than when I sold it, for what I wanted to sell it for, all that time ago.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Here's the thing.

Rolex. Quite popular here. Does anyone think that any modern Rolex, once all the costs are covered, isn't being sold at a much greater markup than being complained about here? Surely, to be consistent...

Master
    Like others have said. I really don’t see the problem. The guy bought something at a great price and now is selling at a price he wants to, it’s his, he can sell it for 10k or a potato if he wants to.

In fact, I really would not see the problem in him buying on TZ for £800 and then selling it for £1200 on TZ the next day.

Absolutely,

I concur, willing buyer willing seller.

You guys that protest would hate my work. It's is brutal how our industry trades.

JFW
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Spot on, Simon.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Like others have said. I really don’t see the problem. The guy bought something at a great price and now is selling at a price he wants to, it’s his, he can sell it for 10k or a potato if he wants to.

In fact, I really would not see the problem in him buying on TZ for £800 and then selling it for £1200 on TZ the next day.
    Yes I totally agree and it would be nice if the self appointed forum police could now accept the fact that SC is no longer a self contained mini market.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Spot on, Simon.
    Cheers Tony.

Simon

Master

Simon

Totally agree with you there Simon

Craftsman
    In my book, if I sell (or give) something to another person, that object becomes theirs to do with as they wish.

Ergo, I fail to understand the point of this thread. Sorry.

Simon
    Very well put. Too many self appointed forum prefects here these days. Their life seems to be the forum and how it's run and policed.
    F.T.F.A.

Not a very gratifying read. 18 months?

Here’s an interesting thought experiment: if a member were to sell a watch, but to much later disparage the buyer when he did as he wished with his own property, would that make the seller a villain?

Would a disinterested commentator be any less a villain?