closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches that surprised you...

Master

Watches that surprised you...

The reason for this post is that I am really surprised how much I love the BB58. All my watches (not many!) are 41-42 mm in diameter and that is the size I had become ecostomed to on my 7inch wrist. I tried on a friends gmt master 2 to test out the 40mm diameter case size and was surprised how much I liked that. When the BB58 came out I thought it would be too small and I never thought I would buy a watch without a date as a minimum. Ordered one having looked at the closest bb I could find in terms of colour combo and pulled the trigger.

When it arrived I wasn’t sure. It felt small compared to all my other watches with my Pelagos blue being my daily for the last 12 months. After a week on the wrist I was loving it and now one month on it ever comes off. It still has the new watch feeling but more importantly I forced myself to wear my Pelagos for a day and while I still love it, it just felt massive. The BB58 is not noticeable on the wrist and the simplistic styling and colours are just fantastic.

I never thought I would like such a small watch so much but I think 41mm diameter (or lug to lug of 48mm) is now the biggest I would want to go. Anyway enough waffle.

What watches surprised you and why?

Last edited by Stuno1; 26th December 2018 at 16:19.

I did not like the new Air King when it was released. It was a complete mess design wise but slowly over time I started liking it and ended up buying it earlier this year. It looks better in real life.

I really like BB and think it looks really good on the black and gold strap.

I’m wearing the Tudor GMT more and more, absolutely love it! It’s a great size and the bezel colour is fab. Feels real quality.

Rest of my collection are not really getting a look in although i have my LVc on today as it matches my xmas tree jumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Watches that surprised you...

I bought this pre-owned JLC Master Compressor out of boredom one day at work but it turned out to be a total gem.

Sorry I have trouble posting pics.
    Anyway, the seiko turtle.
    It's a freeking blockbuster.
    The biggest watch I wear and I love small watches.
    It does not feel big, wears sooo comfy and... even looks a proper size.
    Fits better than the seamaster gmt.
    Shares wriat time with the bb36.
    Odd couple? Whatever!

0_0 ciao

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seiko MM300. Had three divers over recent weeks. BB58, Tudor sub and the seiko.

Seiko is so under rated

My IWC 1958 rose gold cal. 89, not just some gold watch you never wear but a gem that I really love to put on my wrist.

My latest acquisition, a Halios 3th gen Seaforth with sapphire bezel, a very solid and comfortable watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    My IWC 1958 rose gold cal. 89, not just some gold watch you never wear but a gem that I really love to put on my wrist.
    I’d like to see a picture of this. A rose gold vintage IWC is one that I’ve been considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seamaster 300 - (212.30 the model before the new one) I was so sure I would love that watch but when I saw it in real life and tried it on...it just did not do anything for me, the bezel seemed rattly as well I’m a bit gutted!

The rail master though, way more compelling for some reason and that wasn’t even on the radar...goes to show that as good as it is seeing watches online, you need to have them on your wrist - or they could be short lived purchases (not that that stops any of us!)

Holy Grail

Grail is a term that's bandied about the forums in fairly meaningless fashion, but bear with me, and you'll see that there is some small currant of truth running through tonight's muesli bowl of horological musings.

I first came onto the forums like an amphibious reptile crawling onto dry land about 13 years ago. I was researching what watch to buy for my 40th. I'd never worn a watch before that, but I thought that I was approaching a landmark birthday and thought that since my life had thus far been fairly successful, in that I wasnt either dead or in jail, I should buy myself a traditional timepiece to celebrate. I had a rough idea of what I wanted - something fairly simple, classic and mechanical. I plumped in the end for an ollech and wajs 2801 mp, which I sourced on ebay from Australia for some reason.
    Anyway, my love affair with that watch lasted less than 9 months, and the rest, they say, is history.
    In many ways, my most recent acquisition is the watch that I was originally looking for at that time. Clean, classic and absolutely suitable for daily wear and almost any occasion - possessing a certain timelessness, a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will.

I give you ladies and gentlemen, the Smith's Everest 36mm.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk re
    Last edited by seikopath; 24th December 2018 at 01:35.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I ordered Invicta Sub just to make my homage article (which was posted here too).

I was surprised how much Invicta has improved. Sure there's that annoying overly green lume and questionable dial print but the end links fit nicely, gold looks amazingly authentic, Seiko movement is well known workhorse and overall quality is more than OK for a $100 watch.

Baume & Mercier Capeland XXL.
    Great quality, titanium case, steel bezel, kevlar dial. Very interesting rubber strap. This piece is hard to find, but definitely worth of trying :-)

Blog Entries
    This ...

Taken in trade - & fully expecting not to like it - as I don’t like the bracelet.

But I popped it on one of Eddie’s NATOs - and it’s so much improved (imho).

z

Journeyman
    I have a very small wrist size. I was surprised that the Seiko SBDX017 (mm300) fitted me better than a Rolex Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    Baume & Mercier Capeland XXL.
    Great quality, titanium case, steel bezel, kevlar dial. Very interesting rubber strap. This piece is hard to find, but definitely worth of trying :-)
    That’s a good shout. In real life the markers look like they’re floating on the dial. Pics don’t do it justice. Lovely watch

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    That’s a good shout. In real life the markers look like they’re floating on the dial. Pics don’t do it justice. Lovely watch
    Great attention to details - look at this lume dot near the date. Other things are the crown, domed crystal, even the caseback looks pretty designed. The movement isn't that sophisticated - ETA, but overall the watch looks much better than you can expect for B&M price level.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    This ...

Taken in trade - & fully expecting not to like it - as I don’t like the bracelet.

But I popped it on one of Eddie’s NATOs - and it’s so much improved (imho).

z
    Icon, I often think about trying one. Great pic

The SPB079 which I got for my birthday from my wife surprised me a lot. I've admired it from afar for a while but didn't have the confidence it would be worth the money compared to the SRP777 I still have the the SBDX017 I let go last year. I also wasn't 100% sure on the hands compared to the SRP and SBDX. But I absolutely love it.

It isn't just another cheap Seiko and it isn't so expensive that it has an undecorated GS movement while still not being a GS. I bought a Submariner the same week (by chance, three weeks ago) and I've only worn it twice. It seems to capture what - imo at least - Seiko is all about.

I saw the black bezel version on bracelet in John Lewis yesterday by chance and this for Just over £600 in the blue on rubber is twice the looker.

Two photos just to try and show the blue in the bezel. It isn't always there.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Sorry I have trouble posting pics.
    Anyway, the seiko turtle.
    It's a freeking blockbuster.
    The biggest watch I wear and I love small watches.
    It does not feel big, wears sooo comfy and... even looks a proper size.
    Fits better than the seamaster gmt.
    Shares wriat time with the bb36.
    Odd couple? Whatever!

0_0 ciao
    Ta dah!

BUBI 0_0

Master
    This surprised me....because I found I didn’t really like it, although it does have a lovely clear dial.

Just goes to show, you never can tell. Cured me of Patek. The market takes the opposite view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th December 2018 at 15:48.

Still this cheeky little puppy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    5167a. Easily the comfiest watch I have owned, sometimes I forget I even have it on.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Still this cheeky little puppy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    I do want to like this, but 22mm lugs is a killer for me on almost all watches.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I do want to like this, but 22mm lugs is a killer for me on almost all watches.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the PRS-25 36mm Everest has 20mm lugs.... ?

Journeyman
    One acquisition which surprised me in 2018 was a vintage Seiko Yachtman or UFO. Made in 1977, and at 44mm I was worried it would be unwearable in my 6.5 inch wrist. Not at all. It’s one of the most comfortable watches I’ve owned and feels modern due to the size, the hacking and the hand-winding automatic 6138 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but the PRS-25 36mm Everest has 20mm lugs.... ?
    Quite correct. This watch also surprised me, such quality and presence, yet so inexpensive and (comparatively) small.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I had one for a few years and gave up trying to take a photo that did it justice, it’s not possible. Superb watches.
    Cheers..
    Jase