closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running headphones - suggestions please !

Blog Entries

Running headphones - suggestions please !

My trusty AKG headphones have finally given up the ghost after coping with much bumping, jostling and sweating 😓

A couple of questions…

AirPods are tempting, but, I would like some form of in line control - volume and skip track…. Quick googling suggests this has to be done through Siri which sounds a bit rubbish - any thoughts?

I prefer over ear (stability) and not too fussed regarding corded v Bluetooth (Bluetooth can bounce a bit when running I’ve found)

Budget…. Prefer to spend less, but, will go >£100 for the right thing…

Ben

Craftsman

Running headphones - suggestions please !

I run with the Bose Soundsport free.

They are in ear but are not fully isolating, so you can hear things around you and you don’t get a huge “dumpf” reverberating in your ear every time your feet hit the ground.

They have controls for all functions. I was sceptical about them to start, they do look a bit stupid..... but they have proven to be very reliable in connection, very stable in ear even when moving fast.
    Last edited by tobetobes; 20th December 2018 at 17:10.

I use AirPods.
    you can get cheap ear clips or neoprene in ear fittings for running, they hold up to sweat and have a haptic 'double tap' function on each side which can be configured how you want. You don't need Siri, I never use it.
    For example I have a double tap on the right pod for skip track and a double tap on the left for pause/start.
    They are bluetooth and I have never, ever had any signal drop out with them.
    I use them with my Apple Watch 3 which has over 1000 songs stored on it so I'm well chuffed and can't believe I held out so long trying to work with other makes and types.
    Im wire free, sound is decent enough unless you want audiophile quality whilst running and they have great battery performance, I get a few hours from a full charge and several charge ups from the storage box which in itself acts as a charger.
    Hope that helps?

Craftsman
    Beats Powerbeats3 for outdoor running and gym. Very comfortable over longer periods, easy to use in-line control, and good sound quality.

Master
    I just use ordinary ones with either a lightweight running beanie or buff.

Blog Entries
    Give these ago, think they are really you, will fit your face nicely mate.

Craftsman
    I use the Trekz titanium bone conduction as it means you can still hear everything around you. I find this incredibly useful when running where I do which has a lot of traffic

They are also one of the only types approved to wear during races - some races can all types but some only allow none conduction because you can still hear around you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    I run with the Bose Soundsport free.

They are in ear but are not fully isolating, so you can hear things around you and you don’t get a huge “dumpf” reverberating in your ear every time your feet hit the ground.

They have controls for all functions. I was sceptical about them to start, they do look a bit stupid..... but they have proven to be very reliable in connection, very stable in ear even when moving fast.
    You’ve got it…. Needs to be loaded with anti ‘dumpf’ technology…. Will have a look

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    I use AirPods.
    you can get cheap ear clips or neoprene in ear fittings for running, they hold up to sweat and have a haptic 'double tap' function on each side which can be configured how you want. You don't need Siri, I never use it.
    For example I have a double tap on the right pod for skip track and a double tap on the left for pause/start.
    They are bluetooth and I have never, ever had any signal drop out with them.
    I use them with my Apple Watch 3 which has over 1000 songs stored on it so I'm well chuffed and can't believe I held out so long trying to work with other makes and types.
    Im wire free, sound is decent enough unless you want audiophile quality whilst running and they have great battery performance, I get a few hours from a full charge and several charge ups from the storage box which in itself acts as a charger.
    Hope that helps?
    Ah good to know…. How do you change the volume though? As I occasionally want to pump it up / or down

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Beats Powerbeats3 for outdoor running and gym. Very comfortable over longer periods, easy to use in-line control, and good sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Give these ago, think they are really you, will fit your face nicely mate.

They do things differently your way! Gimme 6!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I use the Trekz titanium bone conduction as it means you can still hear everything around you. I find this incredibly useful when running where I do which has a lot of traffic

They are also one of the only types approved to wear during races - some races can all types but some only allow none conduction because you can still hear around you
    Ah…. That’s good…. I don’t want sound completely drowned out…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 20th December 2018 at 22:00.

Master

I use these for cycling off-road and they are excellent IMHO. I usually find in-ear phones uncomfortable after an hour or so making these a godsend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I use these for cycling off-road and they are excellent IMHO. I usually find in-ear phones uncomfortable after an hour or so making these a godsend.
    Yep…. I have been researching the suggestions and these look just the job…

Can’t seem to get a deal on them though!

Master
    Yeah, I looked around a fair bit but there weren’t any decent discounts. Evans Cycles were cheapest when I purchased mine.

Master
    I have TomTom Bluetooth and they've been good. In line control and don't bounce around as they can be tightened.

Think they were £40 or so but came free with a TomTom sports watch (that is annoying as it can't maintain the Bluetooth connection consistently when you're running - TomTom couldn't fix it despite trying and they've stopped making them I believe but that's another story!).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Yep…. I have been researching the suggestions and these look just the job…

Can’t seem to get a deal on them though!
    Yeah they don’t seem to get discounted - I actually bought mine on here in as new condition.

Blog Entries
    Yeah they don’t seem to get discounted - I actually bought mine on here in as new condition.
    Off to WTB!!!

Craftsman
    Used mine again this morning (see Strava running group I know you are on). They really are great and much safer than normal earphones when running

Stefan

Used mine again this morning (see Strava running group I know you are on). They really are great and much safer than normal earphones when running

Stefan
    How do you find the fit and volume? Do they stay put as you run? Also what’s the sound like? I tried a pair in a running shop and the demo source sounded amazing but as soon as you put your own source to them the volume sounded a little low and it felt like they’d be difficult to listen to?

Master
    The headphones have volume control which is independent to the input device volume. If you put both the headphones and input volume on max they would be too loud for comfort even when exercising. I tend to have the ‘phones set on two steps down from max and my Apple Watch set on about 2/3 and it’s plenty loud enough - for me anyway.

Master
    AirPods are epic! Since I have purchased have never looked back!

Grand Master
    Jabra Elite Active 65T

Just superb, never fall out, and have a listen through feature so you can hear warnings plus a background noise facility that allows you to block out annoying twats on the train with waves or waterfalls sounds as you read.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    How do you find the fit and volume? Do they stay put as you run? Also what’s the sound like? I tried a pair in a running shop and the demo source sounded amazing but as soon as you put your own source to them the volume sounded a little low and it felt like they’d be difficult to listen to?
    For me fit is great and they stay put perfectly

I’m not an audiophile but volume is fine for me. Actual quality isn’t as good as my Bose QC35 but I wouldn’t expect it to be and to be honest this isn’t a huge thing to me when running

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Jabra Elite Active 65T

Just superb, never fall out, and have a listen through feature so you can hear warnings plus a background noise facility that allows you to block out annoying twats on the train with waves or waterfalls sounds as you read.
    I have these, great in ear phones. Sound cancelling for the gym and listen through when running outdoors. Might be a bit more than you want to spend but just read the reviews.

Blog Entries
    Jabra Elite Active 65T

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I have these, great in ear phones. Sound cancelling for the gym and listen through when running outdoors. Might be a bit more than you want to spend but just read the reviews.
    Also look good… v AirPods…. Better?

I bought a pair of MPOW Bluetooth headphones a couple of months back from Amazon and really like them. They are in ear type with a ear hook, with the units linked by a wire with a volume control and pause/stop/start button plus microphone integrated . 16h rechargeable life claimed - I run about 5-6h per week in them and charge every couple of weeks. They cost £20 and sound pretty good when the road noise isn’t interfering too much. By far the best running headphone I’ve had (super stable while running) and I’ve tried many. Might be worth a try? they could be a back up pair at the price...

Master
    Jabra Elite Active 65T

Is the correct answer.

The best wireless and sports earphones available.

(He says having tried and killed multiple earphones before finally getting the Jabras which work brilliantly)

Grand Master
    AirPods are superb and easy. The Jabra are a deeper better sound and have many nicer features. They don’t sit quite as nice in the ear but equally they don’t fall out. AirPods are easier to pop in and out.

There’s pros and cons in both depends on what you want them for. Me personally I swopped from AirPods as I wanted stability when training. I absolutely loved my AirPods and I absolutely love my Jabra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    AirPods are superb and easy. The Jabra are a deeper better sound and have many nicer features. They don’t sit quite as nice in the ear but equally they don’t fall out. AirPods are easier to pop in and out.

There’s pros and cons in both depends on what you want them for. Me personally I swopped from AirPods as I wanted stability when training. I absolutely loved my AirPods and I absolutely love my Jabra.

Thanks for that…. Time to have a think 🤔!

Master
    According to all the reviews I read the Jabra were coming out in top but I've never owned air pods so personally can't comment. The Jabra are excellent though, the best I've had and I've owned a few including the BOSE Soundsports.

I like to be able to hear what’s going on when I run, so use the aftershokz bone conductor headphones. Work fine, and can hear everything that’s going on around me.

Personally, not after the highest quality audio, can save that for home so as long as it’s clear and volume is decent, then I’m happy.

Malc

Blog Entries
    After much deliberation (thank you for all the recommendations) I went for the Jabra Elite 65t headphones 🎧

I felt they ticked a couple of other boxes, so went for them…

I’ve just road tested them on a 10km run and they stayed in, nice and snug, for the duration of the run and sounded great!

Add to the fact that My wife got them for me though eBay with 15% off (was <£95) and I’m very happy…

A strong recommendation from me!

Master
    Great price for the Jabra, you wont be disappointed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Great price for the Jabra, you wont be disappointed.
    Nope…. Really recommend them…. Work really nicely