closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Judgemental Watch Statistics Confessional

Non-Judgemental Watch Statistics Confessional

I can't be the only person wasting time on things like this....

....can I?
    Last edited by Der Amf; 19th December 2018 at 15:32. Reason: Hopefully less awful quality image

No, you’re not alone - a fellow stats nerd here.

I go a little bit more high tech with the ‘On My Wrist’ iPhone App, which allows you to input your collection & then a quick swipe & tap notes the watch worn each day thereafter (only room for one daily, mind), and then creates an overall bar chart of cumulative total wearing stats over various time periods.

You can also store handy data like date acquired, price paid, date of last service, price sold for etc.

I don't have colourful graphs, but I do have a spreadsheet listing every watch in my collection (currently 104 and growing too quickly) detailing all the technical stuff, when/where bought, price paid etc. I have similar spreadsheets for my fountain pen collection (over 80) and my aviation/aerospace books (over 1100 at the moment)!

I don't normally admit to these weaknesses in public .... :-)

Ian

I'd not heard of a Nivrel before today.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd not heard of a Nivrel before today.
    I recently cooed over it here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=4968954

Master
    I have a spreadsheet all of the watches I've had since my 'hobby' began in 2013. These are categorised by country of manufacture and maker. So far I am at 155, including 2 Rolex, 11 Omega, 7 of Eddie's and no less than 28 Seiko.

Master
    On evening walks I've started playing: 'who's got the best Christmas tree.' All those lights.....
    Perhaps I should start a chart, by road.
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th December 2018 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    I don't normally admit to these weaknesses in public .... :-)
    Don't worry, you're safe here.

I have a watch collection spreadsheet too. It has the collection database, a spending tracker and a wear tracker.
    Really enjoy filling it in, it’s an integral part of the hobby.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    I have a watch collection spreadsheet too. It has the collection database, a spending tracker and a wear tracker.
    Really enjoy filling it in, it’s an integral part of the hobby.
    I need to start a spreadsheet

Non-Judgemental Watch Statistics Confessional

I have a spreadsheet and this year I have been tracking what I’ve been wearing via a pie chart. Not long to go now and I can reveal the results. My aim was to provide justification for a rationalisation of the collection - identify (with proof) what I don’t wear and then dispose of them.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Interesting... who’s going to be the first to put a Power Point presentation together based on watch ownership!

Craftsman
    Christ I thought I was into this hobby until now.

I don't need to catalogue personally as I only have 3 watches (down from 6 at the peak).

When you need a spreadsheet then that's serious...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have a spreadsheet that captures watch details, price paid, other spending (bracelets etc), servicing and sold price. Periodically I delete the profit/loss column, it’s depressing and could cause arguments.
    I might check out the app you mention; I don’t capture wearing data.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Can`t believe I`m reading this. Drawing graphs and pie-charts to illustrate which watches get worn and which don`t?.........come on guys!

Keeping track of profit/spending could have some merit, but what do you do with the data once its compiled?

I suspect the very act of compiling these figures is cathartic for some folks , I guess its all harmless fun.

Craftsman
    I don't do graphs....yet....but I definitely have a spreadsheet with all the data, serial numbers etc including pics for each watch, plus background story to them. I do it only as information for my wife and children - so that when I get run over by a steam roller, they might finally get to enjoy (selling) Daddy's OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Keeping track of profit/spending could have some merit, but what do you do with the data once its compiled?
    One tiny thing of utility is that it lets me see when a watch really isn't getting worn, and would be better off finding a new home.

But really I just do the same thing with it as I do with my watches: waste time gazing lovingly it at. It just adds another layer of consciousness to the pleasurable experience of owning and wearing watches. I see things coming in to and going out of favour, and that makes me reflect on my changing tastes, and in turn that informs my thoughts as to what I might like to buy next.

Craftsman
    I’d also recommend the OnYourWrist iPhone app (if your that way inclined...)

Grand Master
    Hell would freeze over before I`d mess about with watch-related iphone apps. I avoid phone apps in general, don`t want them, don`t need them.

My collection contains far too many occasional wearers, watches that only get worn on special occasions, that's a fact I`m aware of, but I do enjoy owning them. My tastes have changed, I`ve gone back to the stuff I liked 15 years ago, I don`t think keeping statistics to record wear patterns would really add anything for me.

Master
    Quite a few people on this thread should heed the words of Captain Jack Sparrow, "you need to find yourself a girl mate"

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Quite a few people on this thread should heed the words of Captain Jack Sparrow, "you need to find yourself a girl mate"
    Cracked me up!

Going back to the serious matters at hand...
    I too started to track wear in order to flush out the watches that weren’t getting worn enough and therefore could be sacrificed.

I’ve also developed a “flip rating” system for my collection, giving each watch an A, B or C grade, with C being most likely to flip.
    So if it’s a C, and it isn’t getting worn, you will find it at your nearest SC shortly.

What's the dark green? And the graph shows a steady downward trend in the use of the Nivrel. Interesting. If I did a graph it would be all over the place.

Oh yes, dark green would be the new Seiko

Yeah, the one you didn't like

Grand Master
    Some of my favorite watches, the ones I’ll never sell, hardly get worn. Watch collcting is 100% emotive for me, trying to apply any type of numerical analysis would be pointless.....trying to quantify the unquantifyable.

The concept of applying a flip rating made me smile.

I like the idea of recording watch data etc. I think I should adopt a more detailed approach.

Last year, or the year before I put a simple list together just to keep track of all but G-Shocks and cheaper watches - but I've never added purchase dates or purchase prices, I might find that a little depressive overall. Rolex watches may have gone up, but a good few have a long way to go to break even :)

It's probably no different to keeping a file on each car/vehicle you own with service history and cost of running etc. - at least they record the mileage for you
    It's just a matter of time...

Fair play, I get too bored to do something like this. And the stats would mean nothing - my choice of watch is quite sporadic, no conscious reasoning (to me anyway, maybe David Icke would disagree).

A few observations / comments:
    • Moss/sludge green and deep/fir tree green are missing from the key, any reason?
    • Why is there a gap in the key?
    • I'm surprised that Gold hasn't had a look-in running up to Christmas in Q4
    • Interesting (or not) that you colour the deep green blocks length ways but the others across the way (maybe more about positioning on the page)
    • Glad to see the old felt tip making a come-back
    • I had to look up SNZG
    • I hope you used a backing sheet to avoid colour bleed
    • I'm hungover in bed, which might explain my current interest and reply

I'm looking forward to next years, hopefully similarly scheduled after my work Christmas night out.

I did it in 2017, not bothered this year.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    A few observations / comments:
    [LIST][*]Moss/sludge green and deep/fir tree green are missing from the key, any reason?

Sludge green I forgot - it's a Seiko SBCA001 which in June was used to answer an WTB, (and raise money for charidee)

Christmas green - a Seiko Presage. Again forgot to add to key.

There is a reason for the seemingly weird choice of colours. But that would involve explaining about 2017, and I think I'm pushing my luck as it is
    [*]Why is there a gap in the key?

There isn't a gap - each name is near the middle of the block of colour it's labelling
    [*]I'm surprised that Gold hasn't had a look-in running up to Christmas in Q4

The gold Longines got sold in mid-October, and the money went towards the Seiko Presage. The Longines had got rather strongly associated with something in my professional life that went wrong, and I just needed it gone in a hurry. And then I had this wodge of money desperate to be spent.
    [*]Interesting (or not) that you colour the deep green blocks length ways but the others across the way (maybe more about positioning on the page)

Pure laziness - sideways looks better, but lengthways is quicker
    [*]Glad to see the old felt tip making a come-back

Bloody bliss. Colours easily bleached by sunshine, though, which is annoying.
    [*]I had to look up SNZG

For £108, an absolute marvel. It gets a lot more wear than is shown by those blunt statistics - lots of odd hours here and there
    [*]I hope you used a backing sheet to avoid colour bleed

I didn't, and I paid for my foolishness. I should have asked for advice from the forum before setting out, I can see that now

When you did the graph for December, did you use a crystal ball to see the future or is there a more mundane reason for such predicted statistics?

Master
    I genuinely find this crazy behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I genuinely find this crazy behaviour.
    Ask a normal human how sane joining a watch forum is in the first place. Or how sane repeatedly selling watches you've had for only a few months is. Or how sane owning dozens of watches is. Or how sane joining one watch forum under multiple accounts is. Or how sane buying a branded NATO for over £100 is. Or how sane buying a watch specifically for its robust characteristics and babying it like it's made from spun sugar is.

And you think that in comparison with all that, my keeping an eye on which watch I've worn when and then presenting that information in a comprehensible visualisation is crazy? Are you mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    When you did the graph for December, did you use a crystal ball to see the future or is there a more mundane reason for such predicted statistics?
    You need a crystal ball to predict your own actions? I know that on my two remaining days of work I'll be wearing the Presage; on my two remaining days of loafing around, I'll be wearing the Nivrel; when I'm travelling back to my homeland for Christmas I'll be wearing the Seiko 5; and when I'm with my family I'll be wearing the silver watch my mum gave me for Christmas 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You need a crystal ball to predict your own actions? I know that on my two remaining days of work I'll be wearing the Presage; on my two remaining days of loafing around, I'll be wearing the Nivrel; when I'm travelling back to my homeland for Christmas I'll be wearing the Seiko 5; and when I'm with my family I'll be wearing the silver watch my mum gave me for Christmas 25 years ago.
    There is no way on God's earth that I will be able to predict what I'm wearing in 2 or 3 days. Sometimes, unless I've got a specific job to do which requires the use of the G-Shock, I look at my meagre selection of watches and just pick one at random.

Master
    Good to see that you’re using felt tips to colour in the graphs.

When they only allow you crayons you’ll know it’s gone too far...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Ask a normal human how sane joining a watch forum is in the first place. Or how sane repeatedly selling watches you've had for only a few months is. Or how sane owning dozens of watches is. Or how sane joining one watch forum under multiple accounts is. Or how sane buying a branded NATO for over £100 is. Or how sane buying a watch specifically for its robust characteristics and babying it like it's made from spun sugar is.

And you think that in comparison with all that, my keeping an eye on which watch I've worn when and then presenting that information in a comprehensible visualisation is crazy? Are you mad?
    To confirm ; yes drawing a little coloured graph to show how often you wear for watches is crazy behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    To confirm ; yes drawing a little coloured graph to show how often you wear for watches is crazy behaviour.
    Which are you more proud of: your mollusc-like level of self-awareness, or your unblemished inability to detect humour?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't do graphs....yet....but I definitely have a spreadsheet with all the data, serial numbers etc including pics for each watch, plus background story to them. I do it only as information for my wife and children - so that when I get run over by a steam roller, they might finally get to enjoy (selling) Daddy's OCD.
    I have up until now relied on memory to keep track of them, but now I realise I need a spreadsheet, is there a way to put pictures of the watches in the database? If nothing else at least it will make disposing of them easier when my slipper toes have curled up.. ;-)

This next glorious waste of time is now sadly out of date, and tracks where all my watches had come from and gone to.

It took 4 drafts to detangle. I think in a previous life I must have had an especially absorbing desk job.

Master
    Has this all gone over my head and it's a wind up ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    is there a way to put pictures of the watches in the database?
    I use Excel but sure this works for other spreadsheet programmes. Just use the insert menu, then ‘insert image’. You can then resize by dragging image corners to the size that suits....this of course assumes that you have a photo saved on your computer in the first place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I have a spreadsheet all of the watches I've had since my 'hobby' began in 2013. These are categorised by country of manufacture and maker. So far I am at 155, including 2 Rolex, 11 Omega, 7 of Eddie's and no less than 28 Seiko.
    But do you track the time you wear each of them?

I decided that 2019 needed less colouring in

But now I wonder if I'm just being lazy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You're being lazy and thats well untidy.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You're being lazy and thats well untidy.
    That's me told.
    I know, I'll treat this as the draft, and do a nice properly coloured in version when I get sent down am on holiday.

Craftsman
    Bizarre

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The Nivrel continues on it's downward trend

I have a spreadsheet with details of the watches I've owned since owning more than a couple.

I did record which watch I wore every day for a year a couple of years back, but one year was enough of that level of analysis (especially as it revealed few surprises in terms of which watches I wore most often, which was the aim).

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Too many sodding spreadsheets at work to have them in my private life as well, but I get the necessity!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The Nivrel continues on it's downward trend
    It was always my intention that it should devolve of a lot of its attention onto the more practical Presage. It gets the quality time, though.

But there's no downward trend: it's been as good as the same for the last four months.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 3rd March 2019 at 11:10.