closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera for overhead videoing

Master

Camera for overhead videoing

You may have seen from my recent piano thread that I have been experimenting with using a Gopro for taking overhead video shots. In this case it is connected to the music desk and has not worked fantastically well - the camera tends to wobble a little with the movement of the piano and the perspective is not quite as I want. I'm starting to think that a camera mounted to the ceiling would work better using a standard tripod mount but I'm not sure what camera might work well, it would need to:

- be relatively light
    - have a tripod mount
    - be of high quality
    - have zoom to adjust the perspective
    - have live video viewable with zoom and record controllable via phone

I'm using a Canon G16 for the standard videoing and I'm really happy with the quality. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    How about a ceiling mount for the GoPro?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Ceil...+ceiling+mount
    Thanks Phil, while this is an option it will be too high-up and there is no zoom. I'm also not convinced by the quality of the GoPro compared to the Canon - the difference is noticeable.

Master
    Is the Canon G16 camera suitable? If so look at long arms you can attach to a tripod. This is an example but there are lots of others:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZZ2K2YN

As you can see many of then have counterweights to offset the weight of the camera.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Is the Canon G16 camera suitable? If so look at long arms you can attach to a tripod. This is an example but there are lots of others:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZZ2K2YN

As you can see many of then have counterweights to offset the weight of the camera.
    Thanks. I have explored going this route but there is not enough space - particularly with the microphone stands and the camera on the other tripod. I think a ceiling mount of some description is the way forward.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Consider using the GoPro on a Gimbal. I have one for mine and they work superbly, I even bought another to use with my IPhone I was that impressed with the stability.

Stuart

Master
    Lots of you tubers use the Panasonic GH5 as the video camera. Then something like a Neewer Boom Stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Adju.../dp/B01GUQUBEW. You can get weights to counter balance the arm if required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Lots of you tubers use the Panasonic GH5 as the video camera. Then something like a Neewer Boom Stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Adju.../dp/B01GUQUBEW. You can get weights to counter balance the arm if required.
    Thanks. The GH5 is well out of my price range but perhaps a used GH4 or indeed a GH3 would fit the bill (assuming that the latter does smartphone based control). I'll create a wanted ad!

Master
    How wide is the room at ceiling height? There might be an expanding pole type arrangement where it holds itself up against the walls.

Master
    To circle back on this thread - in the end I have gone the route of putting a DLSR mount on the ceiling and it works rather well. Here is a video of my son putting the piano through its paces!

Craftsman
    Get an insta360 one x , absolutely awesome. You can mount it on the piano and get the same effect

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Get an insta360 one x , absolutely awesome. You can mount it on the piano and get the same effect
    I had a look and, while it seems impressive, I'm not sure it addresses the challenge I've been working through which is how to mount the camera over the piano. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I had a look and, while it seems impressive, I'm not sure it addresses the challenge I've been working through which is how to mount the camera over the piano. Perhaps I'm missing something?
    You would mount the camera onto the selfie stick that comes with it, it is just over a meter long and becomes invisible when you watch the video back as there is overlap on the 2 lenses so they use software to make it disappear.

Looking at you footage I would mount it to either the piano just out of the shot using a GoPro style clamp or use a tripod behind your son (again out of shot) and just mount the selfie stick horizontally to that, the camera and stick are both very light so this would not be a problem.

Ben Claremont on YouTube does some good write ups on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAUnNeY5QDQ

don't worry about all the fancy 360 views, it works just like an action camera too.

Craftsman
    BTW your footage is very good so if you are happy I would keep with your current set up, also the sound quality is not that great on the insta360 which I am guessing is important here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    You would mount the camera onto the selfie stick that comes with it, it is just over a meter long and becomes invisible when you watch the video back as there is overlap on the 2 lenses so they use software to make it disappear.

Looking at you footage I would mount it to either the piano just out of the shot using a GoPro style clamp or use a tripod behind your son (again out of shot) and just mount the selfie stick horizontally to that, the camera and stick are both very light so this would not be a problem.

Ben Claremont on YouTube does some good write ups on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAUnNeY5QDQ

don't worry about all the fancy 360 views, it works just like an action camera too.
    Interesting but the challenge was not so much the camera but how to mount it for overhead shooting. As you will see in the video I originally linked to at the beginning of the the thread, a GoPro mounted to the piano moved too much (and the quality wasn't great either). I don't think the system you linked to solves this problem - which I have now done through the ceiling mount. Also note that I record the sound separately using (inexpensive) studio microphones and then mix this audio into the video. Thanks anyhow - the system you link to is interesting for other activities.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    To circle back on this thread - in the end I have gone the route of putting a DLSR mount on the ceiling and it works rather well. Here is a video of my son putting the piano through its paces!

I should add that the camera being used here is a Lumix GH3 which I am very impressed with (and bought off this forum!)