closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex serial numbers - dating a vintage watch

Craftsman

Rolex serial numbers - dating a vintage watch

I have a Rolex that I am trying to get a date of manufacture for before I offer for sale. It was always my impression that it is a 1966 vintage but now after looking at various sites offering data I'm not so sure, it could be older. (There is nothing to help on the Rolex.com site) Which website can I trust to give me a definitive answer? Thanks

Master
    What's the number?
    There are loads of sites giving Rolex serial numbers. I usually use BobsWatches which is one of the first hits on Google and usually has the right answer.

1966 looks like it should be an early 1 million number (from 1,200,000 to 1,538,435).

Master
    Sweepinghand aka Jason Graham, I find it very accurate. 1966 should be in the 1.3m ballpark.

Master
    Would you be so daring as to confirm that it is a seven digit case number --- and share the first three digits, please?

Thankyou,

H

Craftsman
    13406** Thanks

Master
    Looks like a 66 to me but HM will confirm, dare I ask what it is, you are in gilt territory there.

Master
    I have multiple reasons to support 1966 manufacture, but it is not possible to be definitive. Cases and backs were not always drawn off for assembly consecutively. However, one will most commonly find case numbers in this range bear case-backs internally marked with a " .66" date code and the case number itself falls right in the middle of what I believe to be the 1966 range.

I've a number of 5513 Submariners on record with numbers around there...

H

If it's possible to remove the case back you'll likely see a quarter and year code stamped in the back, for example II.66 meaning second quarter of 66.
    I've personally seen a IV.66 with a serial of 1549*** so this yours would perhaps be 65ish if that helps.
    Phil
    Last edited by Wolfman; 19th December 2018 at 13:37. Reason: sorry missed a digit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    If it's possible to remove the case back you'll likely see a quarter and year code stamped in the back, for example II.66 meaning second quarter of 66.
    I've personally seen a IV.66 with a serial of 1549** so this yours would perhaps be 65ish if that helps.
    Phil
    Oh no you haven't, and get back to work!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    13406** Thanks

You're absolutely safe to offer that for sale as a 1966 watch. Maybe stick a disclaimer somewhere at the bottom to suggest there is an outside shot of late 1965, but 99% of buyers will be happy that the serial number tallies up to most online serial number records.

How about some pics? I love 1960s Rollies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    How about some pics? I love 1960s Rollies.
    I will do soon when I post it for sale. Need to investigate what would be a fair price to ask first.