closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage dress watches 38+ mm sizes ?

Vintage dress watches 38+ mm sizes ?

Odd question perhaps.
    I know there has been a drift towards larger wristwatches over the decades.
    While I’ve not got huge wrists, 34mm is just too small for my wrists.

A Rolex explorer I is the smallest I’m happy with (?38mm) and perhaps 39-40mm is my ideal.

Since delivery of my JLC, I was surprised how long it’s taken to adjust to a 39mm case, but I’m warming to it. Obviously the case thickness, crystal/bezel ratio all make these Watches wear so differently.

I love these posts on vintage watches, so wondered if any of the usual manufacturers made 38+ mm cases in the 50’s 60’s 70’s ?

Please post piccies up....

...and if the answer is a resolute ‘no’ I’m going to feel embarrassed and this will possibly be the shortest thread on TZ

They did make 38mm models occasionally, but they were fairly rare. Rare + desirable to modern tastes = big fat premium now.

I believe the most useful search term for such watches is "oversize" but I might be misremembering.

Grand Master
    Until the last 15 years people were happy with 34-36mm watches, with 38-42mm for sports/divers etc.

Many vintage watches have narrow bezels and long lugs, so they tend to wear bigger.

If you must wear big watches forget vintage dress watches, it ain't going to happen. You might find the odd one at 37mm but they're very rare.

Paul

i've seen older omega dress watches (38mm i believe), but as said above, they are v expensive these days

The old Tudor “Jumbo” is 38mm.

Craftsman
    How about a nice classic Seiko they are about 38mm and there’s some nice ones around :)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    They did make 38mm models occasionally, but they were fairly rare. Rare + desirable to modern tastes = big fat premium now.

I believe the most useful search term for such watches is "oversize" but I might be misremembering.
    Here for an example is a 1940s 38mm steel Omega being sold by Austin Kaye: https://www.austinkaye.co.uk/vintage...birthday?back=

Edit: Just thought, it's worth pointing out a gold case wears bigger than the same in steel - it's aura seems to worth an extra couple of millimetres
    Last edited by Der Amf; 19th December 2018 at 09:11.

Master
    The Cyma WWW is obviously not a dress watch, but at 38mm then if it fits the bill for you style-wise that might be one to consider?

Craftsman
    Vintage JlC memovoxes crop up regularly in 38mm..
    Vintage GS is a shade under at 36mm - mine thus:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    hi op,i have a collection of gold dress watches,most wear bigger due to being almost all dial.my wife wears the gold rolex precision i bought due to it being 33mm with a wide bezel .this did look too small on me.my favorite is this longines,which is the biggest at 36mm on my 8inch wrist.never seen a bigger vintage true dress watch but there might be some out there..

This is 41mm - but not exactly 50s/60s/70s!

Journeyman
    Tudor jumbo 38mm got my vote!