closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster st176.0012

Apprentice

Omega Speedmaster st176.0012

Hello from a newbie. I have had my speedmaster for about 10 years now, but it has just come back from a service at Omega and the day/date does not seem to change over till much later than midnight.In the morning at 7am the day is still not dead in line in the window, even now as i write at 19.50 the day has not lined up exactly.My question is, is there a way of setting the watch so that they change over about midnight as my Seiko does, does it have to be adjusted at a certain time of day? Also is there a PDF download for a manual for the MK 4.5 Speedmaster. Cheers

Master
    Send it back under warranty, doesn’t sound right

Master

Omega Speedmaster st176.0012

They are great watches using the legendary Lemania 5100 movement.
    Better send it back. It shouldn’t behave like the way you are describing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ar.parask; 18th December 2018 at 22:42.

That certainly isn't acceptable after a service. Mine starts at 22:40 and snaps over fully at 00:05.
    As the man said, send it back.

Grand Master
    Regardless of the exact time it snaps forward, it should move with a definite snap. Suspect there's a problem here, but I`m amazed they didn't pick it out. You're supposed to check every function on a watch, and double check, before it goes to a customer!

Fortunately the watch was serviced by Omega; there's a large Perspex plate that supports the day/date mechanism and it can crack with age. It's expensive to replace and hard to get hold of thesedays owing to Omega not supplying parts. If that's faulty they'll have to replace it, but if it is at fault I`m surprised it wasn`t spotted. There are two weaknesses with the Lemania 5001, this is one of them. Whoever decided to make that part in plastic needed their head examining, I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time and it saved costs.

I concur with Paul above.
    The calendar works are a known weakness on the 5100 (I know as I have looked for parts due to the same issue)
    It sounds as if the only real option is sending it back an hoping they can get the part. If not learn to live with it as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Fortunately the watch was serviced by Omega; there's a large Perspex plate that supports the day/date mechanism and it can crack with age. It's expensive to replace and hard to get hold of thesedays owing to Omega not supplying parts.
    Hi Paul, with apologies to the OP can I ask you about this? I’m interested in a different 5100 watch.

Is there something about this plate that is specific to Omega? Or are all Lemania 5100 movements the same, with interchangeable parts? I know you don’t rate them, but are they easy (meaning ‘relatively cheap!’) to service?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi Paul, with apologies to the OP can I ask you about this? I’m interested in a different 5100 watch.

Is there something about this plate that is specific to Omega? Or are all Lemania 5100 movements the same, with interchangeable parts? I know you don’t rate them, but are they easy (meaning ‘relatively cheap!’) to service?
    It is the same, you can take it from any one (and in fact, with the right parts you can even convert a day only 5100 to a day-date one, I have had it done).
    Never heard of the whole plate needing replacement, the most common issue is mechanism failure due to forced date changing when the gears are engaged (8pm to about 2am usually). Those parts certainly used to be much easier to find than the main plates. Symptoms of this issue are exactly as the OP described, late changing and lazy, incomplete changing.
    The cynics would suggest that the only real function of the 24hr-subdial at 12 is the ability to avoid mashing gears by actually seeing the watch is near mid-day, and not midnight.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It is the same, you can take it from any one (and in fact, with the right parts you can even convert a day only 5100 to a day-date one, I have had it done).
    Thanks Dave, that’s very helpful. It’s actually a Stratoliner that I am after, and I noticed you commented on Cirotti’s thread so I appreciate your expertise.

Reassuring that parts are generally around.

Grand Master
    They're OK if everything works OK, a quick check will confirm that. When everything's right they're good, I've worked on a couple of decent ones and one absolute nightmare.

Parts supply is now restricted to the chosen few, stocks at wholesalers are dwindling. It's a shame, but that's the way things are going.......with the exception of TAG and Zenith, who are happy to sell parts to independent repairers. Just rang up and ordered some Zenith El Primero movement parts this afternoon, provided you can quote part numbers they're easy to deal with and v. helpful. If only they were all like this!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They're OK if everything works OK, a quick check will confirm that. When everything's right they're good, I've worked on a couple of decent ones and one absolute nightmare.
    Cheers Walter ;).

Apprentice

Update

Have sent watch back to Omega to sort out under warranty, and very apologetic they were too, watch this space

Apprentice

Update

Very apologetic phone call from Omega today, saying that it will have a full service (foc) as the watch is faulty, and will be back with me in about 3 weeks.

Apprentice

Smile Update again

Have sent back to Omega for the 2nd time as was still right when it was returned to me, at this rate I will b e asking them to send me a 42mm Moonwatch FOC lol