closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT master 11 on ebay. Any advice before jumping in please.

Journeyman

GMT master 11 on ebay. Any advice before jumping in please.

Hi item no 273613644373 Rolex for auction on ebay. 2018 model advertised as new by private seller. Looks all fine to me but I am not knowledgeable
    About this brand. 12 bids currently at £6100.00 with 5 days to go. Any questions I should be asking ?.
    Many thanks Paul.

If it’s a GMT-Master 11, then run away. It should be a GMT-Master II.

If you’re not familiar with the brand and what to look for in avoiding fakes, I would not venture into eBay to buy a Rolex. Stick with reputable dealers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    If it’s a GMT-Master 11, then run away. It should be a GMT-Master II.

If you’re not familiar with the brand and what to look for in avoiding fakes, I would not venture into eBay to buy a Rolex. Stick with reputable dealers.
    Very smart. Just the sort of comment I was hoping for !.
    Previously purchased 4 watches from chrono 24 and 4 from ebay with no problems so far.
    Missed a master 11 that was on sale on here a few weeks ago as I was unable to view
    The for sale section .
    Many thanks Paul.
    P.S. Oh did I make a mistake again.

GMT master 11 on ebay. Any advice before jumping in please.

Clearly I’ve misjudged your prowess as an online watch buyer, and my snarky remark was misplaced. Please accept my apologies.

But my advice stands. You asked for advice before jumping in, and I provided some. You don’t have to like it.

Here’s more: on my iPad the seller’s pics aren’t sufficiently detailed to identify the authenticity of the watch. Perhaps another member has sharper eyes and can see something.

P.S. Have you ever posted a pic of one of your watches? Sounds like you have a lovely collection….
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 18th December 2018 at 19:58.

Master
    On the principle of “ buy the seller” I would make two observations for a £6.5k item

1 One line description
    2 No feedback as a seller in the last 12 months

Steve

Anyone buying anything purporting to be a Rolex on eBay wants their head examined.

How do you know that the watch wasn't on a Turkish beach a few weeks back at £25.

If it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason and we don't need an 'I think I've been ripped off' thread over Xmas.

Buy from a trusted bricks and mortar Rolex dealer for gods sake.

Master
    It does look good, but you don't know what you would actually receive.

The issues pointed out would flag red to me- short description and no recent feedback.

I'd be really interested as to how the seller got hold of this...

Master
    I'd just buy new, you can get one from goldsmiths in a week.

I put my name down about 5 months ago and they harass me over them coming in.

They told me 6 months to a year but rang me after 48 hours then have rang me virtually every week since saying they have another in.

Craftsman
    You’re in Bradford and the seller is in Rochdale, so near enough for you to view. The seller doesn’t mention the warranty card and it can’t be seen in any of the pictures, it might be worth a message to ask if he/she has the card.
    Ask them if they can send you any more pictures, preferably of the engraved serial number on the rehaut and see if the number matches the number on the white swing tag.
    As above though, this model isn’t to hard to get hold of from an AD, although with the rumour of it being discontinued maybe they have become harder to source.

Grand Master
    Good advice, go and see the the watch for yourself.....and meet the seller. If you’re not confident to judge it for yourself with it in your hand you really shouldn’t consider buying privately and you’re better off buying from a trusted dealer.

Opinions from the forum won’t help you decide, someone might come along and say its fake, but you’re never going to be 100% convinced based on forum replies. Suggest you rethink the logic and buy elsewhere, if it’s all about saving a few £££ you can’t really afford to be buying. Maybe that’s harsh, but with an expensuve watch like this its folly to take risks when buying.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th December 2018 at 20:55.

Paul, you admit that you arent familiar with the brand and if you do a search you will find threads about fake Rolex that will fool most dealers so even experts get fooled. I have succesfully bought Rolex and other high end brands from Ebay on multiple occasions with only one piece of trouble, 12 years ago when I was knew to a particular brand) and I have always gone out of my way since to find out if the seller was trustworthy (one off badun...lookily I recovered my loss). The advice given is sound and if I was in your shoes I would follow it, stick with a dealer.
    Good luck
    Keith

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be a high risk purchase. The photos look ok but they could have been stolen from anywhere. Description is poor. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Craftsman
    Just go and put your name down at an AD for one. I don't think its confirmed as discontinued yet.

Or try a Chrono24 dealer with good feedback.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    On the principle of “ buy the seller” I would make two observations for a £6.5k item

1 One line description
    2 No feedback as a seller in the last 12 months

Steve
    Hi .did notice that although he has been on ebay for a number of years with good feedback as a buyer.
    But yes you are correct.
    Many thanks.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    You’re in Bradford and the seller is in Rochdale, so near enough for you to view. The seller doesn’t mention the warranty card and it can’t be seen in any of the pictures, it might be worth a message to ask if he/she has the card.
    Ask them if they can send you any more pictures, preferably of the engraved serial number on the rehaut and see if the number matches the number on the white swing tag.
    As above though, this model isn’t to hard to get hold of from an AD, although with the rumour of it being discontinued maybe they have become harder to source.
    Many thanks. Will do this in the morning.
    Regards Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Anyone buying anything purporting to be a Rolex on eBay wants their head examined.
    You could be right . I have purchased 2 limited edition seamasters l x boxed set speedmaster moon watch and a seiko with no issues.
    So far I have never paid more than £3500.00 for any watch. At between 6-7K ebay could be a bad idea after all
    Regards Paul
    Last edited by paul staines; 18th December 2018 at 23:05.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Just go and put your name down at an AD for one. I don't think its confirmed as discontinued yet.

Used chrono 24 to buy 4 watches in the last 12 months.
    Think this may be the way to go.
    Cheers Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    Hi item no 273613644373 Rolex for auction on ebay. 2018 model advertised as new by private seller. Looks all fine to me but I am not knowledgeable
    About this brand. 12 bids currently at £6100.00 with 5 days to go. Any questions I should be asking ?.
    Many thanks Paul.

Was one in the window of Goldsmiths Leeds last week.

Master
    Seller says “This model is no longer available as the movement was changed which is why this model keeps rising in price.”

That kind of BS is enough to put me off.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post

AD in Harrogate advised it is no longer available .
    Chrono 24 is my next port of call.
    Many thanks Paul

AD in Harrogate advised it is no longer available .
    Chrono 24 is my next port of call.
    Many thanks Paul
    Ad in Harrogate do not know their @rse from their elbow TBH, they may be correct but it will be a first.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Just the sort of comment I was hoping for. Previously purchased 4 watches from chrono 24 and 4 from ebay with no problems so far.
    Given that you recently wrote "I have no real Knowledge of Rolex watches and have never owned one" I don't think that advice was necessarily sub-par.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I think it would be a high risk purchase. The photos look ok but they could have been stolen from anywhere. Description is poor. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
    Thanks. I was going to contact the seller and suggest meeting at an autherised dealers before parting with the hard earned.
    Think I may go back to checking chrono 24 or wait until one crops up on here. It's not like I am short of watches to wear.
    Many thanks Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Was one in the window of Goldsmiths Leeds last week.
    Will ring Goldsmiths Leeds in the morning to check price and availability.
    Many thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Given that you recently wrote "I have no real Knowledge of Rolex watches and have never owned one" I don't think that advice was necessarily sub-par.
    Thx. ,)

This is not a dig at you Paul but it's not going to be too long before someone pipes up on a thread like this and say that they think it's fine. Fast forward a few weeks and a solicitors letter lands on that persons door stating that due to their negligent advice, their client is out of pocket by £6.5k. Cough up please.

Steve

Master
    Just get yourself on the list. It’s the normal black gmt so should be reasonable do able. Why rush and get from fleabay