closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Rolex should i buy?

Journeyman

Which Rolex should i buy?

Hi

Just need some advice on what rolex to buy, a bit about me, im 35yrs old office worker and would like something quite versatile (jeans+shirts) plus have a small wrist!

My current watches are: Tudor BB58, Rado dress watch, Speedy and a few mid-range ones not worth mentioning

I have always thought my first one would be a Rolex ND sub as i love the clean look but i also like the DJ41 Oyster bracelet fluted Rhodium. The sub is impossible to get in the UK, DJ41 not as much

Which should be my FIRST watch (i will buy both at some point over next 2-3yrs) , i realise the BB58 is similar to a sub (but with Gold dials), but happy to keep that as a casual/not to draw attention to myself - or sell it in future

Are there other Rolex models i should consider, GMT II black oyster - does this sit bugger than the sub ? Or SD..

Finally any tips on how to get the above in the UK, ad’s appear to have no stocks. Or should i travel to Europe?

Thanks

Craftsman
    Buy the one you like, everyone's taste is subjective

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchingyou View Post
    Just need some advice on what rolex to buy, a bit about me, im 35yrs old office worker and would like something quite versatile (jeans+shirts) plus have a small wrist!
    I've got small wrists for a male and I've been quite happy wearing a DSSD.

You need to try a watch on to have a good idea how it feels and looks. As you say, little chance of seeing any let alone a choice in an AD so maybe have a look at grey dealers (even if you don't plan to pay their prices).

I saw a black GMT in an AD window last week and reports on here suggest a ND Sub, if not a Sub Date, are actually available from ADs if you are prepared for a short wait.

There are numerous Rolex availability threads so have a search and a read.

Or should i travel to Europe?
    As far as I am aware, the shortage is world wide.

As you are in London maybe go into one of the WF stores where you will have the chance to try on even difficult to obtain models.

Master
    I'm not sure the Sub is as hard to get as folk make out.

I told my cousin the same thing a few weeks ago ("never in a million years.... two year waiting list.... no sports models in the UK etc etc etc). A fortnight later he had a brand new one on his wrist, UK bought but I'm not sure where, North West anyway, presumably Manchester centre.

Anyway, buy what you want. I'm not sure how a forum of strangers can help you choose between two vastly different watches. If the question was pro's and con's of Sub Date V's Sub None Date you would probably get a page of replies, but Datejust V's Sub is something only you can decide.

If you want the Sub just phone your three closest Rolex AD's (or better still, visit in person) and stick your name on a list. Chances are you'll get a call sooner rather than later.

Master
    Are you wedded to new? You might find what you want secondhand, or something completely different. Try some of the secondhand stockists and try loads of things on, something you hadn't thought of might just bite you!

Craftsman
    Sub ND’s can be had within a few weeks/months if your outside of London.

When it comes to what to buy first, you need to visit shops and try them on and go from there. I tried a colleagues BLNR and knew I wanted one so when I got the call I brought it. I looked at the Air King in the summer, really liked it in photos and in the window but when i tried it on I knew right away it wasn’t for me.

When your able to, visit a shop/AD and try some on. Word of warning is that you may find something you like and buy it there and then!

Master
    Have you considered an Explorer or Explorer II?

Master
    I put my name down for a Rolex Sub date in October and got the call 5 weeks later.
    Not that hard to get.

Blog Entries
    The DJ41 with fluted dial would be my recommendation - timeless and not too difficult to obtain

Craftsman
    ND sub for me. Great looking watch and very versatile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    GMT master 2. Lovey watch and great dimensions.

Master
    36 mm Datejust imo

OP 39, black dial. Goes with anything, and easily the best value proposition in the entire lineup. Super-smart and no bling.

Have a look at the Oyster Perpetual 36mm range. If I didn't have an explorer I would be thinking about one of those. I like the white dial.
    I think the case shape and size is really hitting the sweet spot with this range.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been visiting the london ad’s in person (about 8, 3 put me on list rest were closed lists), but not yet had time to go up north. Most london ones have been rude/long waiting lists.

I have tried the ND sub on and liked it, need to try a gmt 11 - great suggestion about WF i work just round corner so will go in tomorrow hope they have GMT.

The suggestions of DJ36, i just find it too small. I have tried on the dj41 and love it for size, just not tried fluted bezel. Somethingg like this.

https://www.chrono24.com/uk/rolex/oy...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Master
    On SC now is a Sub ND, above RRP and no warranty card for 12 months but new.
    Last edited by adz34; 18th December 2018 at 19:51.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Have you considered an Explorer or Explorer II?
    Explorer ii black dial looks nice, but the extra 2mm size might make it too big..i guess its another i need to try on

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adz34 View Post
    Would be surprised to see it sell for over retail with no card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’d look at the black modern GMT. I’d keep the BB over a modern sub but a 14060m would be a test.

Explorer 1s are great too

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adz34 View Post
    Shouldnt be allowed plus no warranty (held back i guess) how can you ensure you get it? Wouldnt touch such a deal, especially as its possible to buy new as mentioned in thread

great suggestion about WF i work just round corner so will go in tomorrow hope they have GMT.
    I am fairly sure you can check what each store has in stock on the WF website.

Craftsman
    ...My current watches are: Tudor BB58, Rado dress watch, Speedy and a few mid-range ones not worth mentioning....
    I may be wrong but I thought that Tudor BB58, Rado dress watch and a Speedy are mid-range watches as well aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    Have a look at the Oyster Perpetual 36mm range. If I didn't have an explorer I would be thinking about one of those. I like the white dial.
    I think the case shape and size is really hitting the sweet spot with this range.
    I have the 39 mm blue dial. Would buy the black now, but it hadn't been released at the time. The blue is absolutely stunning, however. All shades from sky-blue to almost black midnight blue are possible with the sunburst dial. It's a really well-made thing.

Craftsman
    With smaller wrists, the maxi case of the Sub may not sit right or be comfortable. The bracelet is sublime though.

The fluted DJ41 is on my want list too.

The bb58 you have already is a great watch. It has that classic vintage look. If you could not find a suitable vintage Sub, then this would be the one to fill the gap.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been visiting the london ad’s in person (about 8, 3 put me on list rest were closed lists)
    you're going to buy the first one of those - that comes up, I suspect ........................

Admit it - you'll take any of them.

Grand Master
    Seems a daft question to me. Maybe I`m missing a trick, but I thought it was normal to buy what YOU actually like yourself?

I`m genuinely confused by questions like this. OP says he's got small wrists but he's looking at buying a big watch?.........I don`t get it.

Craftsman
    SubC ND all the time. It is very versatile watch, can be worn with anything. The DJ is a nice watch, but too common.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    SubC ND all the time. It is very versatile watch, can be worn with anything. The DJ is a nice watch, but too common.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    HA, ha, ha, and a Sub isn't common?

Journeyman
    If you have small wrists, I would advice you to try a submariner on first. The lugs are very straight, which causes the lugs to hang over small wrists. You could try it at a grey dealer and, if you like the watch, buy it there or put your name on the AD waiting list.

Journeyman
    Explorer 1 or DJ 36 might work....

Have you considered a SD40? Wears smaller than a Submariner and will make a sound purchase.

Of course, you will have to search for one on the used market

Master
    Explorer ii 40 polar is quite slim and wears well on smaller wrist. That will bring something different to your current collection of Speedy and bb58 plus it’s under the radar both in terms of unwanted attention and good value

When you do go into WF try on a SD 16600 and in an AD try on the OP39 in black. Both very very good options.

I have big wrists with a modern GMT and Sub but if I had normal or small wrists I would have the 16600 in a heartbeat. I had one but sold one due it to looking silly on me.

I have small’ish wrists, 6,7” and have just bought my first Rolex, pre ceramic sport was always my only choice (5 digit model number watches) as I have never really been drawn to the later 6 digit watches..

I really like the 16600 Seadweller, but went for a lovely 14060 Submariner with original Tritium dial, hands, and bezel with everything and more there could be in a full set.

Super clean dial due to no date and 2 lines, sits and wears so comfortable and just a classic watch design.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 26th December 2018 at 09:45.

I'm with murkeywaters. I have owned 9 Rolexes.

My advice is: Buy the 40mm Submariner / SeaDweller 16610, 16600 or 14060.

It's the most versatile model ever made, beautiful classic and perfect size. Kinda like Jaguar E-Type/Porsche 911 of watches.

I actually prefer my 16600 over my 16610 because of thicker case and cleaner lines without cyclops... but it doesn't really matter. The differences between these models are minimal.

Craftsman
    Try a 16570 Explorer II on. It's a very nice watch for thinner wrists.

However, you say you are going to buy both anyway so jut buy which ever one you can source quickest?

ND sub is my next purchase, I am in the minority that like the maxi case but I love the GMT II on wrist and the ceramic bezel is a thing of beauty (imo).

Enjoy.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the suggestions i did go into WF and tried on a gmt, sub and sd40, tbh i liked the sub nd the best so put down a deposit at an ad who said i am 1st in line. Loved the SD flat glass but it sat quite high on the wrist compared to the sub

Now im already thinking about the next purchase which will definately be a date purchase, something like the Hulk or Red dial Tudor. Explorer ii white dial also looks interesting!

Craftsman
    I was a bit disappointed with my red BB, I still have a black bezel BB on leather but the red just didnt sit right with me, just looked a bit off. The explorer is a great watch however.

Oh, and congrats on making the decision, ND subs are very nice :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was a bit disappointed with my red BB, I still have a black bezel BB on leather but the red just didnt sit right with me, just looked a bit off. The explorer is a great watch however.

Oh, and congrats on making the decision, ND subs are very nice :)