closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car dashcam conundrum

Car dashcam conundrum

New car ordered and because my wife is a named driver and has only been driving for 11 months the insurers are adamant a dashcam is mandatory (car is a RR Velar).

Best option to reduce insurance premiums is for a hard wired system but LR are saying this may invalidate the warranty.

Has anyone heard of this work invalidating warranty? Would hate to ruin a sleek interior with wires dangling everywhere

You’ve got the perfect excuse to keep your wife’s hands off the wheel of your new car. You’re only pretending to look for a solution, aren’t you?

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    New car ordered and because my wife is a named driver and has only been driving for 11 months the insurers are adamant a dashcam is mandatory (car is a RR Velar).

Best option to reduce insurance premiums is for a hard wired system but LR are saying this may invalidate the warranty.

Has anyone heard of this work invalidating warranty? Would hate to ruin a sleek interior with wires dangling everywhere
    Load of rubbish.
    If it's professionally installed, it will take it's feed from a standard non canbus 12v spur.
    Should have no effect on the on the electrical reliability whatsoever.
    Make sure you have a power supply monitor too, to make sure your battery never gets drained.
    A properly installed system has no wires dangling, they're all routed safely out of sight.
    I paid £320 for a twin camera, £80 for the voltage monitor and £130 for a perfect installation into a BM 4 series.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Would the dealer you are buying the car from not be prepared to supply and fit a dash cam for you and ensure that the warranty is retained?

Master
    Is it the dealer suggesting it will invalidate the warranty or LR UK?
    If it’s the dealership, contact LR UK for further clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is it the dealer suggesting it will invalidate the warranty or LR UK?
    If it’s the dealership, contact LR UK for further clarity.
    Good point, it's the dealer. Will contact LR to be sure

We have the BMW system fitted - done by dealer, no warranty issues and bespoke fitment into car wiring harness.

LRR are notoriously bad at this type of thing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I had an XF and it was very sensitive to battery drain. Jaguar officially took the same stance as Land Rover are saying to you. I had a power magic pro fitted so I could use the parking mode feature but this would only cut the power to the camera at 12v which was too low. It really needed to be 12.5v, I think the newer versions have changed the voltage setting.
    The stop start system would not work as the battery was always too low and it took a really long run to fully charge. To be honest that wasn't a bad thing because it used to drive me mad.
    As the insurance company are asking for the camera it will have to be professionally installed, if you were thinking of doing it yourself. (I guess you already knew that).
    When I installed the camera into the Audi I bought a Cellink B battery pack to take care of the parking mode feature, so the battery discharge is no longer a problem. I think they have stopped making these but there are alternatives.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Wiring faults at JLR ????

Master
    I’ve got the “Thinkware F800 Pro” front and rear cameras in my car.. excellent piece of kit, and only 3 wires to connect..

Earth
    Permanent live
    Switched live

And then there is a cable that goes from front to rear to join the cameras together.

It’s a clever piece of kit with parking mode, battery saver where it detects voltage drop and switches off.
    You can set the switch off voltage in the app, I have mine set at 12.5v
    All sensitivities can be adjusted.

Great night vision, and a very useful free download of speed cameras and red light cameras...

One of the features I like best, is that it will warn you of a camera area and also remind you what the speed limit is..

“ mobile speed camera area, speed limit 40mph” very useful. Not the cheapest out there, but IMO it’s worth the price..

https://youtu.be/wiMRW1Bv8zw
    Last edited by Enoch; 18th December 2018 at 17:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ve got the “Thinkware F800 Pro” front and rear cameras in my car.. excellent piece of kit, and only 3 wires to connect..

Earth
    Permanent live
    Switched live

And then there is a cable that goes from front to rear to join the cameras together.

It’s a clever piece of kit with parking mode, battery saver where it detects voltage drop and switches off.
    You can set the switch off voltage in the app, I have mine set at 12.5v
    All sensitivities can be adjusted.

Great night vision, and a very useful free download of speed cameras and red light cameras...

One of the features I like best, is that it will warn you of a camera area and also remind you what the speed limit is..

“ mobile speed camera area, speed limit 40mph” very useful. Not the cheapest out there, but IMO it’s worth the price..

https://youtu.be/wiMRW1Bv8zw
    I would definitely go for the Thinkware if I hadn't already bought a blackvue. They seem to get good right ups and include, as standard, things that blackvue charge extra for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I would definitely go for the Thinkware if I hadn't already bought a blackvue. They seem to get good right ups and include, as standard, things that blackvue charge extra for.

It’s a close call between the 2 brands... I think the Blackview is a neater looking camera, but the Thinkware offers a few more features. I’d be happy with either.

But when I was looking the TW was a good £50 quid cheaper so that swung it..

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I had a power magic pro fitted so I could use the parking mode feature but this would only cut the power to the camera at 12v which was too low. It really needed to be 12.5v, I think the newer versions have changed the voltage setting.
    The Power Magic Pro allows you to set a cut-off voltage of 12 or 12.5v using the 5 two-way switches on the unit. I also have mine set at 12.5v and it works well.

Craftsman
    Why don't car manufacturers cater for this? There's a demand that they can earn from.
    I'd like them to offer either:

a. A power port/USB socket in the rear-view mirror mounting, so that after market cams can be easily connected by Joe Public; or

b. Factory-fitted dashcam to be made available on the options list (or even made a standard feature - take back cupholders and give us something useful). Everything else is on that list, why not a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    Why don't car manufacturers cater for this? There's a demand that they can earn from.
    I'd like them to offer either:

a. A power port/USB socket in the rear-view mirror mounting, so that after market cams can be easily connected by Joe Public; or

b. Factory-fitted dashcam to be made available on the options list (or even made a standard feature - take back cupholders and give us something useful). Everything else is on that list, why not a camera?

a. Would probably be a £500 option.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    a. Would probably be a £500 option.
    I'd be happy with that.