closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New HW GS models at Basel

New HW GS models at Basel

Looks like Seiko has listened to the fans, as the watches got quite a bit thinner (about 10mm, with the now sweet point 38,5,mm diameter) and the power reserve moved to the back. There are 4 new models, out of which the SBGY003 is the only one in a somewhat reasonable pricing category, 7600 USD. Hand-winding, with 72 hours power reserve.

Here's a pic, I rather like it:

There'll be only 700 of it.

Cheers,
    Christian

That is all kinds of lovely. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7600 bit eye watering

Master
    That’s lovely, HAS to come with a bracelet though IMO

That's a very fine looking watch, I suspect in real life it will look even better as it catches the light in different ways. Excellent news on the stupid power reserve. Were it not for that I'd have had a Snowflake a long time ago.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That's a very fine looking watch, I suspect in real life it will look even better as it catches the light in different ways. Excellent news on the stupid power reserve. Were it not for that I'd have had a Snowflake a long time ago.
    Agreed, only thing wrong is the price.

100% on the real life look. GS seem to try to make them look as dead as possible in photos!

Is this the first time that hand wind Spring Drives have been available on regular GS models? I can only think of the huge PM 8 day model and the Credors previously
    Last edited by Der Amf; 21st March 2019 at 11:29. Reason: Confused

Master
    38.5mm and 10-ish thick is pretty much perfect in my book. Popular ‘cocktail time’ style dial, and power reserve on the back too. A brand that listens, who knew? A simple and effective solution to the overly thick autos to offer hand wound movements, and with a quick turnaround. I look forward to more watches in exactly this size, regardless of movement, though it wouldn’t hurt if they were something a touch more affordable in mechanical or quartz.

That is quite a stunner!

Shame about the eye watering price.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is this the first time that hand wind Spring Drives have been available on regular GS models? I can only think of the huge PM 8 day model and the Credors previously
    Usually on Platinum or the 'studio' based models. More importantly, this is the first 'normal GS spring drive' without the power reserve on the dial (as far as i can tell).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    7600 bit eye watering
    Jesus.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    At last a spring drive without a power reserve indicator

Looks lovely. Price is certainly on the high side.

Cor (apart from the price):

https://www.watchtime.com/blog/basel...selworld-2019/

At least Seiko are heading in the right direction with more simple and elegant GS designs.

Master
    Cor (apart from the price):

https://www.watchtime.com/blog/basel...selworld-2019/

At least Seiko are heading in the right direction with more simple and elegant GS designs.
    TBH I’m not sure they needed to ‘snowflake’ the whole case, but given the price and limited edition it doesn’t matter too much what I think. It does make me dream about a stainless steel version with normal case and white snowflake dial though, in this size, with mechanical or 9F movement and a price tag that I could live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    TBH I’m not sure they needed to ‘snowflake’ the whole case, but given the price and limited edition it doesn’t matter too much what I think. It does make me dream about a stainless steel version with normal case and white snowflake dial though, in this size, with mechanical or 9F movement and a price tag that I could live with.
    They do have some history with this sort of thing, check out the 6145-8030 and 6146-8040. There are some similar vintage GS with the textured dial and case.

Craftsman
    Beautiful. Steep price, but its GS, as high quality as can be found with a spring drive. Worth the cost to a lucky few.
    Infinitely better than the monster sized spring drive tool watches that have been released this year.

I like the functionality of the SBGC231. All in one Chrono, GMT and 200m WR. Cased in best titanium alloy. But too big and too expensive.

Master
    Going in the right direction by removing the power gauge from the dial. But looking at the design....don’t the classic quartz models already cover this base? Because, in the end, the spring-drives are quartz regulated. Much as I admire spring-drive, the quartz models seem more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Going in the right direction by removing the power gauge from the dial. But looking at the design....don’t the classic quartz models already cover this base? Because, in the end, the spring-drives are quartz regulated. Much as I admire spring-drive, the quartz models seem more sensible.
    Spring Drive is a very distinct movement from their Quartz movements - I can't see what base is shared by them? One is mechanical, the other battery powered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Jesus.
    That’s US$. GBP tbc according to Jura.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Spring Drive is a very distinct movement from their Quartz movements - I can't see what base is shared by them? One is mechanical, the other battery powered.
    Well, I’ve owned and enjoyed both. One is powered by a spring, the other a battery. Both get their precision from quartz regulation. My point, assuming I have one, is that the elegance of this type of design is more easily achieved with quartz. And if you’re a romantic, why not go the whole way with a full mechanical design.
    Anyway, an old debate with no clear answer. Well done Seiko for being bold enough to offer such designs.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, I’ve owned and enjoyed both. One is powered by a spring, the other a battery. Both get their precision from quartz regulation. My point, assuming I have one, is that the elegance of this type of design is more easily achieved with quartz. And if you’re a romantic, why not go the whole way with a full mechanical design.
    Anyway, an old debate with no clear answer. Well done Seiko for being bold enough to offer such designs.
    I very much get what you mean, I guess we just think of elegance differently as I think the dead jump of a quartz hand (and indeed of JLC's True Seconds mechanical!) removes any elegance the design of the watch itself may have. But of course this is only noticeable upon close inspection.

The elegance of a Spring Drive piece is - to me - so inherently interlinked with the pure sweep of the seconds hand, that no Quartz battery piece with a seconds hand can compare.

Different strokes for different folks, as always. I'm just pleased GS are getting so much more coverage these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    power reserve on the back
    Is there a pic of that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Is there a pic of that?
    Pictures of the movements with power reserves here, not actually the whole back of the watch: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...ve-introducing

One huge difference between the Spring Drive and a standard quartz is that the Spring Drive is dependent on the owner keeping it going, whereas the quartz does what it does regardless. These being manuals rather than autos heightens the owners awareness of that reliance.

10mm height is certainly a step in the right direction, though it’s far from thin for a manual wind... I would dearly love to see sub-10mm autos from GS, would be nigh-on perfect

Looks fantastic. I'd happily wear that, if it wasn't lost on my wrist - so will have to try one!
    It's just a matter of time...