closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Level of car warranty cover

Level of car warranty cover

Just keen to tap into views and experience with warranties here. Big bimmer with 60k, and the AUC warranty is now coming to an end. Looking at options, do I want:

1. Comprehensive @ £915
    2. Named component @ £765; or
    3. Driveline @ £585?

Many thanks!

Also - any reason to prefer BMW (priced above) over warrantydirect (cheaper)?

I have had BMW extended warranty in the past on M5's underwritten by Mondial (I think). For peace of mind I would only consider the cover through BMW as I claimed twice with no haggling, not sure the same would have applied if 3rd party. What is the model? If it is a model with potential for big bills I would be considering the top cover.

Master
    Definitely 1 which should come with recovery.

Craftsman
    go for the manufacturer one with all the bells and whistles if you can , i did with the audi rs4 which iirc was handled by mondial or the like . The warranty wise type thing when i looked at it was not as good and you dont have many issues when sticking with the manufacturers

That’s interesting all - many thanks for the replies. It’s a 530d; have heard some shockers about variable vane turbos, timing chains etc. My own car is running great, but I do like the peace of mind.

No fans of the driveline option?

Craftsman
    I’m just in the same boat with my F Type, it runs out next week, similar packages... have already had a Diff replaced under dealer warrantee, so fear is making me look at the extended warrantee.

So as well as Bimmer, any advice on Jag also welcome!

Master
    Do NOT buy an annual policy.

When you come to renew and the mileage has gone over 60k the premium can often double.

Take out the monthly policy and at worst the premiums will go up about 5% annually for as long as you own the car. It is a well known anomaly with Mondial policies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

If memory serves me right I think there is a £5k max. claim with driveline. If you are keeping the car for some time I would pay monthly as the payments will stay the same, with yearly they are prone to increasing it at year end. I would also go for max. excess which I believe is £250 and will substantially decrease the payments.

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    I’m just in the same boat with my F Type, it runs out next week, similar packages... have already had a Diff replaced under dealer warrantee, so fear is making me look at the extended warrantee.

So as well as Bimmer, any advice on Jag also welcome!
    Anecdotally, chap I work with just had warranty repair will into the five figures on his f...

Master
    Also - any reason to prefer BMW (priced above) over warrantydirect (cheaper)?
    You may wish to read this thread over on PH before deciding on using Warranty Direct:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1773988&i=0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    You may wish to read this thread over on PH before deciding on using Warranty Direct:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1773988&i=0
    You beat me to it......a tale of woe and WD wriggling.... I shall never put business their way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You beat me to it......a tale of woe and WD wriggling.... I shall never put business their way.
    yup ......i read similar before and thought stuff that and stayed with the manufacturer jobby for the sake of a few quid

That’s interesting all - many thanks for the replies. It’s a 530d; have heard some shockers about variable vane turbos, timing chains etc. My own car is running great, but I do like the peace of mind.

Yes some potential big bills there. I recall now that what GreatDogwood says about monthly warranty payments through BMW is correct, that is the way to go

Good work everyone - I think the message is clear then!

in terms of level a warranty is a minor term in a contract as opposed to a condition which is a major term, hence why most warranties have earned a reputation for not being worth the paper they are written on. If a warranty is in breach the contract is likely to carry on and you are likely to be liable for payments without remedy. Go for breach of condition if the car is no good...Implied terms. Simple

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Do NOT buy an annual policy.

When you come to renew and the mileage has gone over 60k the premium can often double.

Take out the monthly policy and at worst the premiums will go up about 5% annually for as long as you own the car. It is a well known anomaly with Mondial policies.

Was about to take this advice... they seem to have got wise to this though... £915 for comprehensive, vs £97 for the rolling monthly cover. The latter annualises out to £1164, which is 30% more....

I take it I wouldn't expect such a massive uplift next year as that, and would be better with the annual product?

Right, all done. I've gone with the all singing all dancing official BMW warranty - it seems to be the universal wisdom that the manufacturer warranty is always best. Thanks to everyone for the useful comments above, greatly appreciated.

Good decision, have fun, now you can drive it like a rental car!

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Good decision, have fun, now you can drive it like a rental car!
    Many thanks. Your input on this thread was spookily similar to my brother’s advice... without both of which, I’d probably have gone for driveline or third party. But I think you’ve got me to the right place 🏎

Master
    Was about to take this advice... they seem to have got wise to this though... £915 for comprehensive, vs £97 for the rolling monthly cover. The latter annualises out to £1164, which is 30% more....

I take it I wouldn't expect such a massive uplift next year as that, and would be better with the annual product?
    I had a 650 which literally doubled when it went over 60k on an annual policy.

My X5 monthly payments only started to creep up once I got it over 100k and I ran it for 4 years and put 156k miles on it!.

I've read numerous reports on Pistonheads where the premium has doubled at 60k miles, but no personal experience in the past 12 months or so. The warranty sales advisors are pretty helpful and would tell you what each payment method would be for sub 60k and over 60k miles if you asked.

Craftsman
    Anecdotally, chap I work with just had warranty repair will into the five figures on his f...
    Yikes! I’m not surprised though, the service guys showed me the bill for my diff and extra bits and it was £5k in parts alone.... I’m paranoid about burning oil smells now, which is how i discovered it.... Albeit that I left it far too long before diagnosis as having owned old MGs and old motorbikes, burning oil is a standard smell!

Master
    Currently in the same boat, my disco sport is 3 in march, and I am deffo going to buy the manufacturers warranty. Worth it for the peace of mind, and no bollixing about with having to pay for a repair and then claim from an insurer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk