closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone 7 Plus vs iPhone Xs max

iPhone 7 Plus vs iPhone Xs max

Hi
    I currently have an iPhone 7 but would like to try one of the larger ones. My son has just picked up an iPhone Xs max and it is nice but bloody expensive and heavy. Maybe a bit overkill for me.
    I’m toying with picking up a iPhone 7 Plus which is about half price of the Xs. They are lighter and slimmer than the x.
    Any experiences making the jump?
    Thanks
    Andy

Due to a billing fiasco I had an unmatchable price for either phone a year ago. I chose the 7plus as I didn't fancy the glass back of the XS, which it needs for wireless charging, which I don't need. I plan to get 4 years out of the phone and preferred the robustness of the alloy body, even though either would go straight in a Spigen Tough Armour. Going from a 6, the larger screen is most welcome for these old eyes, and the battery lasts a lot longer, not twice as long but for my use I'd estimate 1.75x. After @ 15 months the battery is still at 97% "health".
    F.T.F.A.

I’m having to use an 8 while my X is being replaced/repaired - it feels tiny. I’d like to try the XS Max, plus the dual Sim would be good for travelling for me. I’m finding it harder and harder to read small phone screens.

I have a couple of friends who have stopped using their iPads after going to the larger phones, so it could be money saver lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Made the move from a 6S to a 7+ just over a year ago. I had hoped that the bigger screen would make typing easier but it hasn't (stupid fat thumbs) however using the phone as a satnav is great because it's just that little bit bigger and clearer. Watching YouTube on the go is a better experience too. The increased battery capacity is great, but with my usage (especially Words With Friends games while getting the little one to sleep) I still charge overnight, every night. The extra bulk in the front pocket was noticeable to start with but easily accustomed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have had a 6+ and a 7. The 6+ was perfect (and is the same size as a 7+ I believe), but it depends on the case you put it in.

I had an Otterbox which made it way too bulky for my front pocket. Changed to the slimmer apple leather case and made a lot of difference and size became no issue

Have you thought about the plain XS? I moved from a 7 to the XS and although it is heavier, it isn't much bigger, but has significantly more screen real estate. With the A12 chip it should be future proofed for some time too.

Blog Entries
    Let me throw the iPhone XR into the ring... bought one about a month ago and I'm very happy with the size (bit bigger than the XS and a bit smaller then the XS Max).
    Before I also had an iPhone 7 (never bought a "Plus" because I found it was too big) but now I must admit that the bigger display is a definite advantage.

Grand Master
    Ill buy your XS Plus if you decide to sell it
    RIAC

I went from a 7 plus to a Xs Max. Have to say, it’s the most difference I’ve seen in any iPhone model I’ve had.
    Saying that, I’d echo what bricktop said. I didn’t see a XR till after I’d bought my Xs Max, as the XR’s were in short supply in my neck of the woods. My other half got a XR several weeks after I’d got the Xs.

I really was surprised in just how close they are. Am I that bothered with the OLED scree, nope. I do like the 512gb vs 256gb though, and I do seem to use the zoom lenses a lot. I like the lighter aluminium and battery life of the XR though too. If I’d had had both to hand at the time though, Personally I’d struggle to justify the extra. Is the Xs/Xs Max that much of a better phone than the XR? I don’t think so as to justify the price difference.

If you can get the XR for not much more than the 7 plus, I’d say personally that’s the one to go for. Your mileage may vary...

I would concur with the XR. I moved from an X to the XR and haven’t been disappointed. Slightly bigger screen, better battery and my middle aged eyes cannot discern any downsides in display or camera. And it’s cheaper. Much. What’s not to like?

Craftsman
    I also concur, shoot straight down the middle and try the XR. I was also surprised, the screen is a lot more usable than the 7+.

I find the interface with Face ID sooo much of a difference that I couldn’t go back to the finger print of the 7+ without a lot of grumpiness. Being able to unlock with gloves on is a winner in this weather. #grimupnorth.

Craftsman
    *X/XR/XS interface hint*

turn off ‘attention’ in the Face ID settings for even faster unlock, and unlock when it’s on the table and you aren’t hovering over it like it’s a magnifying glass.

Thanks everyone it's down to the 7 plus which I can get for £470 or the XR which I can get for £625.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thanks everyone it's down to the 7 plus which I can get for £470 or the XR which I can get for £625.
    IMHO the XR is definitely worth the (not too much) higher price. You'll get the same "interior" as the XS (Max), a great camera with an extremely nice portrait mode and a bigger display as the 7+
    Plus, FaceID is incredibly handy - and this comes from a guy who was VERY sceptical just because I never thought it'd be more practical than a fingerprint sensor.

https://www.apple.com/at/iphone/compare/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bricktop View Post
    FaceID is incredibly handy - and this comes from a guy who was VERY sceptical just because I never thought it'd be more practical than a fingerprint sensor.
    Yes! That!

Blog Entries
    Excellent thread, cheers.

I have been running a 6S+ for a couple of years and it is perfect for me, the bigger screen is good. Question is for me 8+ or XR, has anyone gone from a 6/7/8+ to an XR.???

Pitch

John Lewis has all the models next to each other. The 8 plus screen felt better proportioned than the XR which seemed taller but not as wide

Blog Entries
    Compared these yesterday and I am really liking the XR. One concern is the camera seems not to be so great but I am sure it will be a step up from my 6S.

Be good to hear more from XR owners.

Sorry to go OT OP

Ta
    Pitch

Camera on XR is a significant step up from 6S/7/8, only downsides versus XS/X is portrait mode isn’t as flexible i.e. you can only use with humans, not pets or objects, and the optical zoom isn’t quite as good. I moved to XR from an X (cheaper on contract) and haven’t noticed any downside with camera at all. Mind you I don’t have a dog and/or take lots of zoom shots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Camera on XR is a significant step up from 6S/7/8, only downsides versus XS/X is portrait mode isn’t as flexible i.e. you can only use with humans, not pets or objects, and the optical zoom isn’t quite as good. I moved to XR from an X (cheaper on contract) and haven’t noticed any downside with camera at all. Mind you I don’t have a dog and/or take lots of zoom shots.
    cheers fella and with you on both points..

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    One concern is the camera seems not to be so great but I am sure it will be a step up from my 6S.
    The camera is excellent, I can assure you of that. Same cam as the main one in the XS. Sure, portrait mode is a little less flexible but for me it‘s absolutely fine the way it works.