closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Norton - Bremont or Breitling

Master

Norton - Bremont or Breitling

Watching the Henry Cole special on Norton I noticed Stuart Garner wearing a Breitling and a few Breitling logos around.

i know they used to have a tie up with Bremont, as I have a Bremont Norton limited edition issued in conjunction with the VR RR, which was also limited to 200 units.

Have Norton now ditched Bremont?

I noticed this at the motorcycle show at the NEC.
    I’m at Bremont’s HQ this week, I’ll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, just interested to know

Norton no longer have Bremont as a sponsor, it is now Breitling - as you have noticed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Norton doesn’t seem to be able to grow beyond their very small niche. It may be deliberate, but a shame as such a powerful heritage deserves a global brand.

How many people know Norton’s name in the UK? In Europe? In the world?
    Now same publics, but this time the question is: How many people know that Norton is producing modern bikes?

Breitling has that global recognition as well, which may be a way to change that fact.

However B. Is not exactly flying (pun intended) at the moment. In fact, I would think that unless Norton has decided to roll up their sleeves, B. will benefit significantly more from Norton’s name recognition than the reverse.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Norton doesn’t seem to be able to grow beyond their very small niche. It may be deliberate, but a shame as such a powerful heritage deserves a global brand.

How many people know Norton’s name in the UK? In Europe? In the world?
    Now same publics, but this time the question is: How many people know that Norton is producing modern bikes?

Breitling has that global recognition as well, which may be a way to change that fact.

However B. Is not exactly flying (pun intended) at the moment. In fact, I would think that unless Norton has decided to roll up their sleeves, B. will benefit significantly more from Norton’s name recognition than the reverse.
    You’re right, it is deliberate. I have it direct from the factories mouth that they have no intention to become a large scale manufacturer. They are consciously keeping to small production numbers and low builds. They don’t have a robot in their factory, and intend to keep to handbuilt products. They are not flawless, but their factory back up is unparalleled. Can you imagine ringing Honda and getting to speak to the production line for advice.

The norton stand was one of the busiest at the NEC bike show, you could feel the buzz.

I can believe that. I wish they had used a different, more confidential name, be it Ariel or Velocette.
    There is room for a competitor to Triumph, albeit in a slightly different segment and scale, like they were 60 years ago.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I’m not so sure about the very small scale comment after speaking to Stuart and Simon each year - but they are not going to compete with big number cheap model production manufacturers. They are hoping to dramatically increase production and model range:

But - Oh yes they are back in a big way - the planning has been many years in now. New bikes being delivered and a smaller 650cc being put into production to compete with the opposition on and off the track.

This years TT will be the most serious Norton effort to date.

Yes, agreed they are going to to ramp production and I think at a new line? But still it’s only 250 of the atlas and nomad and not sure how many of the super lights...but the numbers as you say are always going to be low and they will keep
    It small. I don’t ever see them being a triumph challenger, I don’t think they want to be playing the same game as them or competing for the same customers. That’s Norton’s USP right?

Absolutely- smaller production, more exclusive, higher quality components - hopefully!

It will be interesting, but I wish them every success; they worked hard for it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Norton no longer have Bremont as a sponsor, it is now Breitling - as you have noticed.
    Maybe Prestjoh will be able to find out why - I bought my Bremont Norton I think in summer 2017, and they were still being promoted by Norton then, and I had an email from Norton promoting it alongside the new V4 which I’d ordered.

Journeyman
    Sat on the sofa at the Norton stand and watched the lap on the island. It was mesmerising.

I revved the nuts out of Trevor Nation's JPS Norton on the Island back in the mid 80's, Barry Symmons the team manager did his nut!

Last edited by wildheart; 17th December 2018 at 15:06.

Both parties have something to gain from the partnership.

Breitling want to disassociate themselves from Bentley and move towards a motor partner less stuffy and more edgy.

Norton will benefit from the wider international exposure that Breitling currently has and Bremont doesn't. You will see Norton bikes on display in many of Breitling's premium boutiques across the wealth capitals in years to come.

It's a shame the 2 British brands couldn't stick together.

Given the relative sizes of the two organisations, this is a genius move on behalf of Norton.
    Breitling are huge by comparison in terms of brand currency, budget, turnover and worldwide advertisement exposure.
    Bremont is probably a better fit with Norton in terms of the position in their respective markets, but I can't see Norton refusing an organisation the size of Breitling.
    I really liked the Norton they built with Bremont written on the tank in the style of Norton.

took this at the FoS in 2010 on the Bremont stand

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Maybe Prestjoh will be able to find out why - I bought my Bremont Norton I think in summer 2017, and they were still being promoted by Norton then, and I had an email from Norton promoting it alongside the new V4 which I’d ordered.

Unfortunately I failed, I did ask (Not Nick or Giles )but there wasn’t a clear answer so I didn’t push it.
    I did suggest they should patner CCM, but maybe I’m a little biased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk