closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Japanese Knife Handedness

Japanese Knife Handedness

I’m going to buy some decent Japanese knives. The ones I’d like are asymmetric (right-handed). Okay for me but Mrs K is left-handed.
    Anyone got any such knives and know whether they’ll be really awkward for her? Or even work well if bevel on wrong side?
    Alternative is to not buy ‘set’ from one maker but pick and choose from different makers. Some ‘handed’, some not. Not as aesthetically pleasing and can’t afford duplicates!

They will not be awkward to handle but they will be disappointing her and probably berate you for spending the money.
    The asymmetrical blade allows you precise cutting while pushing the cut piece away. Used with the other hand, the ‘pushing’ action is against the piece you’re holding, resulting in a less precise cut.
    No discomfort as the handle is usually round so makes no difference in either hand.

Oh, and they don’t ‘do’ dishwasher well
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The one’s I’m looking at do have an asymmetric handle.
    TBH it is me who will be using them the most, and hopefully Mrs K won’t realise their cost! Appreciate not dish-washer safe and she’ll need to be educated.

In your situation the best options are to buy one 50/50 beveled knife or buy two asymmetric chefs knives. Probably a 240 to 300mm for you and a 240 or less for your wife. I suppose you could also get a nice asymmetric gyuto and a 50/50 chef's knife which she can call hers.

Most knives in sets are not used and are for decoration. I'd rather have a good chef's knife, a good bread knife and a small knife than a mediocre set. A long slicer would be the next priority, followed by a nakiri.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    In your situation the best options are to buy one 50/50 beveled knife or buy two asymmetric chefs knives. Probably a 240 to 300mm for you and a 240 or less for your wife. I suppose you could also get a nice asymmetric gyuto and a 50/50 chef's knife which she can call hers.

Most knives in sets are not used and are for decoration. I'd rather have a good chef's knife, a good bread knife and a small knife than a mediocre set. A long slicer would be the next priority, followed by a nakiri.
    Thanks. By 'set' I meant matching knives from a range so I would only be buying the ones needed.

Thinking about this though, buying mixed range does have the attraction of having different types (Damascus, hammered etc) in a 'collection' so think I'll do that. Initially we need a carving knife (sujihiki) for Christmas duties. I'll mainly be using that so buy right-handed version and get a few more in New Year as budget allows.