closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daytona thread

Daytona thread

Hi all. Thought I’d post a few pics of my 116520
    I’ve owned it from new in 2009. Had it serviced last year and kept it pretty mint
    Went out last sat on a Xmas piss up and ended up scratching it quite bad down one side
    Never mind. Hope you like the average pictures
    Andy
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/2p6a1idr0/

She’ll be fine
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Meant to be worn and a few battle scars means it won't be so precious anyway.
    Sign of a good night in my book- too many folks are slaves to their possessions.

Unlucky. Now it’s probably only worth £15k...

Master
    Gutting! I tend to leave bracelet watches at home when on a heavy session for this reason.

Is better now -it'll remind you of a top night out. Your history is there to see

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I remember getting tackled into a massive pile of snow after a Christmas pissup. I’d a Tag 2000 on, and landed oddly and the watch cut my wrist. Nasty business, and I still have the scar on my wrist till this day. Strange thing is, the Tag didn’t have a blemish on it.

I still have that watch, and I have to say they don’t make em like that any more!

Someone was selling a G-Shock for £20 on SC - that is an ideal companion for a Daytona. Wear the Daytona daily and wear the G-Shock when you are out to get wasted.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 16th December 2018 at 00:45.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Unlucky. Now it’s probably only worth £15k...
    With prices as they are for 116520, I’m half thinking whether to trade my one in with a bit of cash for a latest 116500. Tempting.

Master
    Looks pretty normal to me. Watches get marked. And the next Rolex service can deal with that, no problem.

Master
    Blog Entries

Daytona thread

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    With prices as they are for 116520, I’m half thinking whether to trade my one in with a bit of cash for a latest 116500. Tempting.
    Sold my minty 116520 for 9k - I see its jumped a hell of a lot more since!!!

I dont baby my Rolex too much but must admit I enjoy wearing the 116500 a hell of a lot more now that the bezel is ceramic. Not just because its less of a scratch magnet, but in my opinion looks slightly bigger and less (dare I say it) feminine. I think I prefer the 116520 in black but at the time could not decide and went white!

In fact the 116500 has now become my daily over the last few months - stunning!!

I really had a love / hate relationship with the 116520

Last edited by kultschar; 16th December 2018 at 01:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I’ve owned it from new in 2009. Had it serviced last year and kept it pretty mint
    Went out last sat on a Xmas piss up and ended up scratching it quite bad down one side
    Andy
    Ah well better the bracelet then the head!!!!

I remember the first Rolex I ever had (Sub). Went out on the town and had no idea that each time I was putting my hands into my coat pocket that I was scraping the zipper teeth on it! It was dark so was none the wiser until I got home and put the light on - was absolutely gutted since only a few days old!! Live and learn :)
    Last edited by kultschar; 16th December 2018 at 08:56.

Craftsman
    Looks fine to me to after a years wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Sold my minty 116520 for 9k - I see its jumped a hell of a lot more since!!!

I dont baby my Rolex too much but must admit I enjoy wearing the 116500 a hell of a lot more now that the bezel is ceramic. Not just because its less of a scratch magnet, but in my opinion looks slightly bigger and less (dare I say it) feminine. I think I prefer the 116520 in black but at the time could not decide and went white!

In fact the 116500 has now become my daily over the last few months - stunning!!

I really had a love / hate relationship with the 116520

Very nice. The new one does look better imho

Saying that the day I collected it after the service I noticed a couple of marks on the bracelet
    https://postimg.cc/30mc6YJG

Master
    Anyone thinking of 'upgrading' might care to consider a gold model. Because of the bizarre price inflation of steel models, you can get a nice 18k gold version for not a lot more. And, to me, they feel an awful lot better on the wrist than the steel versions. I sold my 116500 because it just didn't have the magic of the gold version. Wouldn't ever go back. But the inflation is beginning to hit the gold models, so worth acting now.
    Markets change and this situation will not last. So if you get a chance to try a gold model, why not see how you feel.....it's a very personal thing.
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th December 2018 at 10:31.

Master
    I do love the white dial ceramic Daytona. Shame I’ll probably never own due to the situation with them which is a shame.

Ditto. I have thought about trading my 116520 for the ceramic but I just can’t get my head around paying so much over list for one. Perhaps if I sit tight I will get lucky like my 116520 and get one at list.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I do love the white dial ceramic Daytona. Shame I’ll probably never own due to the situation with them which is a shame.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Ditto. I have thought about trading my 116520 for the ceramic but I just can’t get my head around paying so much over list for one. Perhaps if I sit tight I will get lucky like my 116520 and get one at list.
    Indeed. It’s even more frustrating seeing thy are available on many sites so it’s not a lack of watches just the nature of folk hoarding and lack of supply. I never imagined when I had th money to drop on a watch at this price I wouldn’t be able to get it. Hey ho. I’ll put my name down when the time comes and just see what comes if it.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Anyone thinking of 'upgrading' might care to consider a gold model. Because of the bizarre price inflation of steel models, you can get a nice 18k gold version for not a lot more. And, to me, they feel an awful lot better on the wrist than the steel versions. I sold my 116500 because it just didn't have the magic of the gold version. Wouldn't ever go back. But the inflation is beginning to hit the gold models, so worth acting now.
    Markets change and this situation will not last. So if you get a chance to try a gold model, why not see how you feel.....it's a very personal thing.
    Interesting point - though looking at watch finder the (relative) pricing seems to place the newer gold models a fair bit now above the steel ones.

Or, dare I say, the steel and gold... beautiful things, and by far the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Or, dare I say, the steel and gold... beautiful things, and by far the best value.
    The colour combination is fantastic on this, it's a great example of how to do two tone well. The bezel, indices, chrono rings all marry together.

I'd also agree it's the best 'value' if buying a Daytona now. The ceramic Daytona was only released in April ish 2016 - barely 3 years ago and the value of everything has gone bonkers. I bought my 116520 in June 2016 for £7k, it has now doubled.

Watchfinder now lists at nearly £20k for a 116500 which is now double retail. I can't see it ending either, it seems ludicrous to say, but even buying on the secondary at £14k seems a 'bargain'.

Master
    Very nice watch. I strongly suspect the trauma to the bracelet would all disappear at a service, or if you had the bracelet refinished. But for a watch that's a regular wearer I don't think a few minor scars are unbecoming.

Must admit my own Rolex, IWC and Omegas don't get out much.

And readily available in most ADs too at £13k retail.

Perhaps a small discount may be possible too

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And readily available in most ADs too at £13k retail.

Perhaps a small discount may be possible too
    I think this is a Zenith Daytona ;)

It is - picked up very easily at around the £10k mark (still expensive, but less ridiculously so).

It was the steel/gold that I was referring to rather than the particular model.

It is - picked up very easily at around the £10k mark (still expensive, but less ridiculously so).
    That seems to me to be an amazing price for a Zenith Daytona, it just shows how undervalued TT is compared to steel. I’m certainly coming round to TT watches, it’s probably my age!

That seems to me to be an amazing price for a Zenith Daytona, it just shows how undervalued TT is compared to steel. I’m certainly coming round to TT watches, it’s probably my age!
    Ditto, mate

Hehe fair enough! Maybe when all these younger collectors get a bit older, they'll also start getting the taste of TT and drive prices up. Get in ahead of the curve

Master
    Yet another derivative - worth grabbing before prices go silly!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post

Which model Is this ? Stunning

Hehe, that’s just trolling

Outrageous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'll just stick with maybe buying one of Eddie's Smiths instead of this old tat

Just remembered I’ve got this old one somewhere. Probably not worth much though because it hasn’t got any red writing on it. Looks alright though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Thinner bezel looks so much better than the current ceramic version.

I’m hoping to get a new white dial Daytona from my AD within a year. If this happens, il sell my 2008 black dial 116520 to fund it with cash coming my way as well I’d imagine. I paid £6500 for my Daytona about 5 years ago so hoping to get into the newer model and come out in front cash wise..just have to be patient now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Andy
    Nice to see someone wearing and enjoying their watch in the 'drive it like you stole it' fashion. I no longer keep things mint for the next owner, just enjoy the use of them. (although mainly they do stay pretty good and a service normally sorts most cuts and bruises!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I’m hoping to get a new white dial Daytona from my AD within a year. If this happens, il sell my 2008 black dial 116520 to fund it with cash coming my way as well I’d imagine. I paid £6500 for my Daytona about 5 years ago so hoping to get into the newer model and come out in front cash wise..just have to be patient now!
    You will def be quids in mate! Hope you pull it off!!