closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First time buyer

Apprentice

First time buyer

Hi, this is my first day on the site. I’m looking to buy a 14060m 2 line submariner in the best condition possible with original box and papers. It’s for my 21st birthday at the end of March. I’m trying to find the right contacts and help to find this watch.

As I’ve never bought a watch before, I don’t have any contacts and feel uninformed about the process in general. This may be an ignorant question, but do any official AD’s do finance? I can put a large deposit down but can’t afford the watch outright. And if you do know anyone that can help me with this, I would appreciate you putting me in touch.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

If you want a 2liner 14060 on finance then it probably isn’t going to be from an official AD as that model has been replaced by 114060.

Hi Ross and welcome to the forum. Can't help with the Rolex but please tell us a bit about your current collection.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    If you want a 2liner 14060 on finance then it probably isn’t going to be from an official AD as that model has been replaced by 114060.
    Sorry that was probably a stupid question thinking about it. Do most watch dealers do finance?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Hi Ross and welcome to the forum. Can't help with the Rolex but please tell us a bit about your current collection.
    Hi, my first name is Harrison, but don’t worry everyone makes that mistake. I don’t own any watches at the moment. The Rolex I’m looking to buy will be my first watch. I’m a long time admirer of watches and have saved up for a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonRoss View Post
    Hi, my first name is Harrison, but don’t worry everyone makes that mistake. I don’t own any watches at the moment. The Rolex I’m looking to buy will be my first watch. I’m a long time admirer of watches and have saved up for a Rolex.
    I did wonder - mainly because I know a guy called Ross Harrison who is into his watches. I thought perhaps he'd joined the forum!
    Good luck with your search - have a look at Chrono24.com for starters and feel free to ask about any watches/dealers on there that you like the look of. There's about two thousand Rolex geeks/bores on this forum who will probably be glad to help.

Apprentice
    I did wonder - mainly because I know a guy called Ross Harrison who is into his watches. I thought perhaps he'd joined the forum!
    Good luck with your search - have a look at Chrono24.com for starters and feel free to ask about any watches/dealers on there that you like the look of. There's about two thousand Rolex geeks/bores on this forum who will probably be glad to help.
    I looked at chrono24.com but they don’t do finance. Would you recommend I contact the seller individually?

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonRoss View Post
    I looked at chrono24.com but they don’t do finance. Would you recommend I contact the seller individually?
    Chrono24 is just a marketplace for various sellers - mainly dealers. You'd need to contact individual dealers.

Apprentice
    Chrono24 is just a marketplace for various sellers - mainly dealers. You'd need to contact individual dealers.
    Okay. Thanks for the help!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome.
    It might be cheaper to approach your bank for a loan, rather than financing the watch directly.
    This will also give you a greater choice as you can then buy from dealers who don't offer it.

Master
    There’s also the possibility of a zero interest rate credit card, as long as you have the discipline to pay it off.

And you can borrow money very cheaply now too, which may be a possibility.

Welcome, too. You’ll learn plenty here, and you’ve picked an excellent watch as your first purchase.

For another good (rock solid) site to browse and check prices go to miltonaires.com

I don’t think finance is offered, but the watches will be as safe as a row of houses, and the prices competitive.

Well at least you’ve decided on the model. The 4 liner 14060 are a better buy in my opinion, if you can buy at the right price - one of a few shorter production models in Rolex professional range history, and I’m sure the 16610 was a lot more popular - but in those days Rolex wasn’t charging over £700 to add the date feature!

Good luck in your hunt. It’s a great watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Why are you so desperate to buy a Rolex and get into debt on your 21st birthday?

And it’s your first watch?

There are plenty of other decent watches available.

Master
    Watchfinder have a couple in stock and do interest free finance over 12 months

Master
    Welcome to the forum and happy hunting! It’s exciting times!

I would echo some other opinions, at 21 I would aim for something like a tag or maybe even a tudor? Personally I don’t see the point of indebting yourself for a Rolex at this stage, I would slowly build up your collection towards a Rolex.

This is my opinion though, and you’re obviously entitled to do what you feel best !

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why are you so desperate to buy a Rolex and get into debt on your 21st birthday?

And it’s your first watch?

There are plenty of other decent watches available.
    I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking this. Whilst everyone has their own outlook to consumer debt and rightly so, I think the discipline to wait, save, perhaps try a few budget gems along the way, has a lot to be said for it....

On the other hand: prices may rise more than the price of the debt, so this might be terrible terrible advice and you should get stuck in :)

Welcome to the forum, you’ve come to a good place.

Also - do give us a fuller introduction. What do you have, what do you like and what do you not? What makes you want this particular watch?

Craftsman
    Hi Harrison, and welcome!

As a relatively new watch collector myself, I can see where you are coming from (although my 21st birthday is long gone unfortunately!).

First, I won't bother asking why you've selected the watch you have. We all start our journey in different ways and if that is what you want, go for it. That said, obviously with the caveat that you are not over-stretching yourself financially as no watch is worth it.

As for finance, I'd recommend a credit card option if you're buying from a private sale or trading platform like eBay - for example Barclays do a Platinum card with 27 months interest free credit, many others offer similar. I also know that Fraser Hart do 24 months interest free credit for a 15% deposit, although I don't think they are a Rolex AD (I've purchased a Tudor GMT from FH on interest free). As far as I have found out in the course of my own research, almost all the big chains have interest free options - however these tend to be somewhat restricted when you are buying used - something to be aware of.

My best advice would be to hold on a little longer - you've said you already have the money for a large deposit, plus the ability to sacrifice a monthly payment for credit terms, so then presumably you're in a position to save more? Waiting a while gives you the chance to look wider afield at other models and brands, find out more about where/who you could buy from, and ultimately not immediately spending the cash will leave you in no worse a position.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

My advice would be if you have your heart set on a sub then go for it. I personally would not buy other brands if they are not what you want as you will no doubt lose money on them when it comes to move them on.

The sub is a fairly good place to have your money as you should not lose much if anything if you decided to move it on.

I appreciate WF are not the cheapest but this seems ok for the price and looks like it has had a service at some point from Rolex.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...35/item/125779
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 16th December 2018 at 13:08.

As mentioned above, watchfinder do finance on used watches and they have what you’re after. They have a great reputation and you don’t need to stress about their trustworthiness. They scrutinise all the watches that come in to check they are not fakes/ using fake parts. Blowers in Mayfair also have a good reputation but I don’t know if they offer finance.

These dealers often have higher prices, but I would suggest spending a bit more to ensure quality/ authenticity would be wise if this is your first foray into watches.

Box and papers go some way to proving legitimacy (but are easily forged), but nothing is better than buying from a reputable business. Unless you are a ‘completist’ I would consider watches without papers and look for the very best example you can from a trusted dealer, especially if you aren’t likely to sell the watch.

Master
    Watchfinder are known to remove links and other items from full sets, in my opinion to maximise value from each piece, so if you use them or another dealer make sure you are clear what a full set is in comparison to what’s being offered.

Also apologies if I’ve missed this but why not go for a bank loan or 0% cc it should open up a range of pre-owned vendors rather than just those with finance available?

Beaverbrooks website has a pre-owned section which is always mainly Rolex......and does 4 years interest free credit. They don't currently have the model you're after but might be worth keeping your eye on stock.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Taking on debt at 21 for a watch you can't afford?

Nope.

Debt for essential modes of travel, education, maybe even experiences - then yes. If you must.

But a trinket that people will assume is fake; or think you are an idiot for getting in debt for?

Nope.

And I speak as a Father whose oldest is about to piss another "Submariners" worth of beer vouchers up the wall to go travelling. Again.

Money well spent!

Craftsman
    Doing a simile journey to yourself when I was younger, I financed a Tag Heier and unfortunately lost my job shortly after so my advice is to stay well clear of finance and go for something you can buy outright. Maybe a Steinhart and then save for the Rolex and buy preowned

Master
    Sound advice here but I think we’ve scared the poor lad !

So what do you think Harrison? Harrison? Hello… Harrison?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    Doing a simile journey to yourself when I was younger, I financed a Tag Heier and unfortunately lost my job shortly after so my advice is to stay well clear of finance and go for something you can buy outright. Maybe a Steinhart and then save for the Rolex and buy preowned
    A Steinhart, perhaps second hand, is a good place to start.
    Wear it, see if you like the style, the automatic movement, and when you think you are ready to move on and fully appreciate a rolex, go for it. Of course non Rolexes will never be Rolexes.
    Definitely debt to buy luxury is wrong. If you pay 5-6% a year for a personal loan, odds are not in your favour. The timepiece will have to appreciate massively (i.e. 10% per year) so that the operation actually makes sense.

In other words, you can be probably indifferent between buying now on debt and wait a few years until you have the cash.