closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some help on a sale issue on here please

Master

Question Some help on a sale issue on here please

Just after some advice really as not sure what to do...

Let me preface this by saying I was selling this watch as I needed the money, hence the sale.

Put my Pogue up for sale on the 5th December and within a few hours (early hours of 6th) I’d had a PM saying they’d like to buy the watch.

Took a couple more days but I had a PM from the buyer on the 8th saying they’d transferred the money to my bank account and gave me a postal address.

Now, what’s the issue? Well as I say I needed the money but I have had no sign of the money appear in my bank account so I sent a PM asking the buyer about this on the 11th and have had no reply.

The buyer has also not been online since the 8th Dec after sending the ‘money sent’ PM.

Buyer has been on here 6 years and I assume he’s genuine etc. I’ve double checked the bank details I sent him and all correct.

I can only assume he sent the money but got the details wrong but seems strange he’s not been online since saying he’s paid. You’d think buying a new toy you’d want to know when it was sent?

I can understand an error but an error and the buyer not being online for 7 days.

As I needed the money for this watch I’ve been trying to ponder what to do. Even if the buyer has got it wrong, how long should I wait for him to appear? He’d agreed to buy it 9 days ago and sent payment 2 days later but with no sign of the money or the buyer am I wrong in wanting to put it back up for sale and if/when the buyer reappears cancelling the sale?

I’m not dissing the buyer here at all as I’m hoping it’s just a genuine cock up and if I didn’t need the money (well 1 I wouldn’t be selling my Pogue) I would just wait it out but the idea was the money was going to be for Xmas spending and, well it’s getting on a bit even for my last minute work.

put it back up for sale, would be my advice.

You have to look after YOUR interests, and have been more than patient.

Does the buyer have a nice long record on H and V?

The buyer isn't Soundood, is it?

Jokes aside, I'd put it back up, you're being ignored in the hope you'll go away, he is likely embarrassed and has decided to bury his head in the sand.

Master
    Pm the buyer today stating this and put back up for sale, if the original buyer comes back to you all good, if it sells before they do I can’t see anyone thinking you’re a villain.

Did you have any other buyers interested?

Grand Master
    Strange.

If I’d made payment I’d be asking where the watch had got to by now. Possibly the payment details were wrong, if so the buyer needs to chase that up.

Not sure what I’d do.

Master
    May be worth posting the buyers name in case someone has more contact details for them. Not a name and shame, but an attempt to get in contact before relisting

Master
    I would just put it back up for sale

Master
    Until/if you hear from the buyer you’ll always be second guessing but logic would tell me he/she isn’t going ahead for whatever reason. That logic being that if they had paid for a watch they would have expected to have arrived before now, so would have messaged or called you. Maybe them not logging online is their way of pulling out? Wrong way to do business but it happens. Only other logic is something has happened to them which we all hope won’t be the case.

To me transactions should be agree sale, pay, package and post, receive and confirm. 48 hours should amply cover that unless something else is agreed at the sale.

No need for ‘the dog ate my homework’ stories imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    put it back up for sale, would be my advice.

You have to look after YOUR interests, and have been more than patient.
    I guess so just I know if it was me and I’d thought I’d paid I’d be a bit annoyed but seems strange he’s not been about to check I’ve got the money even.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Does the buyer have a nice long record on H and V?
    I did check and only one h&v record from couple years ago (Hero)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The buyer isn't Soundood, is it?

Jokes aside, I'd put it back up, you're being ignored in the hope you'll go away, he is likely embarrassed and has decided to bury his head in the sand.
    I’m not thinking I’m being ignored really, I genuinely hope it’s just a balls up. If he’d been on and read my pm but it says he’s not been online since the 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Pm the buyer today stating this and put back up for sale, if the original buyer comes back to you all good, if it sells before they do I can’t see anyone thinking you’re a villain.

Did you have any other buyers interested?
    This is what I’m thinking but I just wanted advice really as don’t want to come across like I’m jumping the gun it’s just it seems a long time not to hear from the gent. My main concern is if he believes he’s sent the money and it’s lost in space or something, then what if he contacts his bank and they correct details etc. I suppose it’d just be cancelled first. Not even sure what happens if you send a transfer and the details are wrong, does it bounce back or something?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Strange.

If I’d made payment I’d be asking where the watch had got to by now. Possibly the payment details were wrong, if so the buyer needs to chase that up.

Not sure what I’d do.
    Indeed but I have double checked things my end but like you say you’d think he’d want to know the transaction went ok (I certainly ask people if I’m transferring money if they’ve got it)

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    May be worth posting the buyers name in case someone has more contact details for them. Not a name and shame, but an attempt to get in contact before relisting
    I’ve tried a thread on this alone and had no replies to me asking if anyone had an email for him.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I would just put it back up for sale
    Thanks.

Put it back up but also send one last PM saying that you are doing it and reasons why. All good I think.

I agree, a final PM - give him 24 hours notice - then whack it back up for sale.

Master
    So the the buyer is Longsight. A member for over 6 years with 53 posts and location stated to be Saudi Arabia.

I think I would post it back up for sale now if you do need the cash. If he had paid the money, then I think he would have logged back on to find out where his watch was.

Master
    Could be a hacked account, it’s happened before, some twerp hoping you would post the watch straight out before money has cleared. I would readvertise it.

Master
    Thanks again all, I’ve redone the sales thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Could be a hacked account, it’s happened before, some twerp hoping you would post the watch straight out before money has cleared. I would readvertise it.
    I did consider that but the name is right (unless they searched old threads and found his name via someone else’s post in h&v)

But what is odd is the last post I can see he made was nearly two years ago so it could well be a hacked account.

Not sure what the purpose is though as I’ve got a name and address of his son (so I was told) in the UK and I wouldn’t have posted until I’d had payment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Thanks again all, I’ve redone the sales thread.

I did consider that but the name is right (unless they searched old threads and found his name via someone else’s post in h&v)

But what is odd is the last post I can see he made was nearly two years ago so it could well be a hacked account.

Not sure what the purpose is though as I’ve got a name and address of his son (so I was told) in the UK and I wouldn’t have posted until I’d had payment.
    Could well be hacked they pick on accounts that have laid dormant for some time and pretend to be that member. I know it’s happened before but tend to go for want to buys hoping to get the cash sent to them. You could well have had a lucky escape and serves as a reminder to others to only trust people they know.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Could well be hacked they pick on accounts that have laid dormant for some time and pretend to be that member. I know it’s happened before but tend to go for want to buys hoping to get the cash sent to them. You could well have had a lucky escape and serves as a reminder to others to only trust people they know.
    That scenario hadn’t crossed my mind. Thanks.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Lots of members will send stuff on approval, asking to be paid afterwards, or take it at face value that when you say you’ve paid, you actually have!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    My main concern is if he believes he’s sent the money and it’s lost in space or something, then what if he contacts his bank and they correct details etc. I suppose it’d just be cancelled first. Not even sure what happens if you send a transfer and the details are wrong, does it bounce back or something?
    I had this experience earlier in the year, as I inadvertently provided the wrong sort code to a buyer on SC.

There were a few nervous days before the funds returned to his account; fortunately the account # I had “made up” did not exist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I had this experience earlier in the year, as I inadvertently provided the wrong sort code to a buyer on SC.

There were a few nervous days before the funds returned to his account; fortunately the account # I had “made up” did not exist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    FYI. On one transfer I did put the money to the wrong account. The money ended upnin some strangers account. Luckily my bank was able to retrieve the money. Sometimes it’s good to have a decent bank who can sort stuff like this out. It was a bit heart stopping when I realised what happened.

To the OP. I was going to suggest there had been a personal issue meaning the buyer was offline , but perhaps it was a hacked account from the description. Good luck with your sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Lots of members will send stuff on approval, asking to be paid afterwards, or take it at face value that when you say you’ve paid, you actually have!
    I’d only do that to ‘trusted buyers’ - people I know or I trust to sell to on that basis, which is the majority here (I do have a blacklist though!)

Journeyman
    It does sound like this was a hacked account fraud. Thankfully, by following good and sensible practice, you avoided being ripped off.

I must admit that, when on the other side of the transaction, I am very cautious about Bank Transfers - perhaps over-cautious. I transfer £1, wait for the vendor to confirm that is in their account, then transfer the balance. It's more work all round, but at least if there is a mistake with the account details, it's cheaply identified.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’d only do that to ‘trusted buyers’ - people I know or I trust to sell to on that basis, which is the majority here (I do have a blacklist though!)
    Problem with this is how do you know it’s the person you trust?

If the account is hacked and they search and find the real account holders name in h&v then they’re PM’ing you as Dave who you’ve dealt with for years. You’ve had 3 deals with Dave and he’s all friendly in the PM’s and you get “I’m travelling up to Coventry to stay there as we’re burying my Mum Thursday, I’m staying with Dad for the week so I’ve attached my son-in-laws address for you to send the watch to”. Would you question it? Maybe, but also maybe he’s ‘moved’ since the last address you used? Do you keep a list of addresses of trusted buyers?

It’s not really feasible to just deal with people you know personally on here if you want to sell anything.

It’s totally changed my concerns on here really and I sold the watch again straight away but even then I’m paranoid and was initially worried as the gent sent too much money (which is a classic scam ie can you refund me the extra). Before you know it you’ve sent the watch, you’ve paid the scammer for your trouble and the bank take back the transfer that was sent from someone’s hacked account.

In this case I’m happy he’s legit as the bank account name is right, had he asked for it to go somewhere else then that’d be the tell of something dodgy.

Master
    Happened to a friend on another forum, he had a WTB for a Rolex 5513 and was contacted by a supposed member. He exchanged messages and the guy e-mailed pics of the watch, my friend e-mailed them to me for an opinion and I responded that it was a beauty.
    This was about 3 years ago and I was reading a warning on here about a scammer operating on the forum and they listed the e- mails he was using, sure enough it was the same guy that had contacted my friend. He doesn’t come on here so he was shocked when I let him know, he had already sent his address for delivery of the watch and was about to send a significant amount of money for it. These guys are very good at what they do and normal decent people are not used to their trickery.