closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Platinum Rolex for £13k?

Platinum Rolex for £13k?

Is this good value, seems it to me? We’re these ever sold on leather by rolex?

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...15/item/126845

Im not an expert but it appears to be missing its original bracelet and now sports an aftermarket strap and buckle. i could be wrong. For someone who wants a cheap platinum day date, this looks like it could tick some boxes!

Would have been on a bracelet.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    At about £10k I could see that might make sense to a private buyer, but it’s going to be a pig to move on in the future if ever you want to.

Yes, would have been on a President originally, an 83206 from memory.

H

One has to wonder how such an expensive watch loses its bracelet. Questionable history for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    One has to wonder how such an expensive watch loses its bracelet. Questionable history for sure.
    What are you suggesting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    At about £10k I could see that might make sense to a private buyer, but it’s going to be a pig to move on in the future if ever you want to.

Yes, would have been on a President originally, an 83206 from memory.

H

Right, so not the headline bargain it would appear. I just thought these models were in the £40k bracket and therefore even sans bracelet it looked pretty good.

Would Rolex supply a replacement bracelet when servicing it? And if so, for how much? And would it be worth it in terms of future resale?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    What are you suggesting ?
    What do you think I’m suggesting? A £30k plus watch when new has lost its bracelet over the course of its life. I dare say not a common occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Would Rolex supply a replacement bracelet when servicing it? And if so, for how much? And would it be worth it in terms of future resale?

They do supply bracelets even out of service routines. It’s going to be quite a lump of platinum. I’d guess £8k?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I enquired about a new platinum link at Rolex a few years back as I was potentially purchasing a platinum day date. The cost was over £1k per link! I would dread to think how much a full bracelet would cost!

I enquired about a new platinum link at Rolex a few years back as I was potentially purchasing a platinum day date. The cost was over £1k per link! I would dread to think how much a full bracelet would cost!
    Wow, so with a clasp we’re looking at £toomuch.

The cost was over £1k per link! I would dread to think how much a full bracelet would cost!
    Perhaps they do an offer of 24 for the price of 25?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I just thought these models were in the £40k bracket and therefore even sans bracelet it looked pretty good.
    Secondhand is not new.

Generally, the greater the precious metal / gemstone content and new price, the greater the discount which must be offered to tempt buyers to choose secondhand.

A strikingly handsome dealer I know has had a full set platinum one with diamond kit, stickered from Rolex service, on offer for six months without a nibble at £25k. Consider that without the diamond kit....then without the bracelet (ugh!) and what are you left with?

Don’t buy it.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    A yellow gold clasp is about £3.5K so probably double that for platinum.

Who volunteers to phone St James forca quote?!

Master
    It’s going to be around £20,000 for an 83206 bracelet without the old one to exchange.

Typically Rolex U.K. would not supply it directly, but request that you purchase through a main agent.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It’s going to be around £20,000 for an 83206 bracelet without the old one to exchange.
    Wow ... almost makes Patek steel seem like good value.

Journeyman
    I saw one with its bracelet in Burlington arcade about 3 months ago. As far as I remember, 17K. The wonderful platinum bracelet makes the watch.

But you are unlikely to recoup your money on this watch unless you find an absolute steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Wow ... almost makes Patek steel seem like good value.
    LOLz
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

83206 bracelet is £27,500 brand new from an A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by crunchypirate View Post
    83206 bracelet is £27,500 brand new from an A.D.
    That is quite incredible.

Master
    Looking elsewhere the same model on its bracelet can be had for £21k used

Buy one at £13k and spend £27,500 on a bracelet...

What company was it that were keeping Rolex links and selling them?

Wonder with these expensive models if there’s any better money to be made removing the bracelets and selling head and bracelet separately.

Either way it seems a whole lot of money to me for just a watch head.

Anyone do a calculation on platinum price vs cost of the watch? Had a quick google and that watch weighs 293g. Working roughly it’s around £6k of platinum (and that’s being very generous as that’s the total watch weight) and would weigh in for about £4K!

I have a Rolex price list and that watch’s RRP is £45,900! No wonder rolex can offer discounts on them and like to sell them lol.

So you could buy a steel datejust for £5400 new but a DD is £40k more because it’s composition is £6k (retail) of platinum.

Master
    There was a thread on platinum DDs here this week with someone claiming he is aware of a nos 182xx (previous model) for £17k. Blowers had a DD for 23k from 2011 but the bracelet is the thing about these watches. Go to the thread and look at the pics. If you are in the market for this watch you want it right and it wont be cheap.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-expensive-but
    Last edited by mrushton; 15th December 2018 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Looking elsewhere the same model on its bracelet can be had for £21k used

Buy one at £13k and spend £27,500 on a bracelet...

What company was it that were keeping Rolex links and selling them?

Wonder with these expensive models if there’s any better money to be made removing the bracelets and selling head and bracelet separately.

Either way it seems a whole lot of money to me for just a watch head.

Anyone do a calculation on platinum price vs cost of the watch? Had a quick google and that watch weighs 293g. Working roughly it’s around £6k of platinum (and that’s being very generous as that’s the total watch weight) and would weigh in for about £4K!

I have a Rolex price list and that watch’s RRP is £45,900! No wonder rolex can offer discounts on them and like to sell them lol.

So you could buy a steel datejust for £5400 new but a DD is £40k more because it’s composition is £6k (retail) of platinum.
    You can buy sheets of steel quite cheap too, but if you want X car brand chassis made out of the stuff then they want a lot more - raw material prices are irrelevant.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You can buy sheets of steel quite cheap too, but if you want X car brand chassis made out of the stuff then they want a lot more - raw material prices are irrelevant.
    I was expecting that reply which is why I put reference to the steel datejust in there as a baseline price for the actual watch build. I didn’t say it should be worth the price of the raw materials at all but it’s way OTT at £45k rrp for the extra over the cost of steel. And I know they don’t do steel DD but that’s no doubt why!

£40k is a lot extra over a steel Rolex for a few a few grand in Platinum. And considering the discounts available on a new platinum Rolex even the dealers think so too.

Look at the price of a bracelet, £27,500. How much is a steel bracelet? £2k at the most for the same design and engineering but want one in £4k’s worth of platinum... even £10k would be a tidy earner for them and yet, £27,500.

I’d never really thought too much about it before but was just sat there looking at the price list I’ve got here and did a bit of googling.

Good luck to them if they can get them sold but jeez, no wonder the stories of people having to buy precious metal variants to get a steel sports model are so plentiful on TRF. There’s some huge margins in some of them no doubt.

You make it sound like the five grand for the DJ isn't a lot of hot air itself

Master
    Platinum watches are aimed at a v.niche market. The brand knows what they can charge. It's that simple. The question asked was does this look right? No, it didnt was the answer. But a search around will find some lovely ones that do look right at a not crazy price - £20k instead of £40k+
    These are never going to be a 'cheap' watch