closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So broke now… but very pleased! (Rolex content)

So broke now… but very pleased! (Rolex content)

Earlier this year in another thread I mentioned that after 14 years on this forum and having developed what I felt was a fairly carefully put-together collection that I was very happy with (and that contained no Rolexes whatsoever), I had rather surprised myself by realising that I was interested in the possibility of acquiring a Deepsea Sea-Dweller to function as my ‘best black dialled watch’. Those who have read my previous SOTCs will be aware that I like watches exclusively in a comparatively narrow size band between 43mm and 46mm in diameter – so the DSSD was truthfully the only Rolex that had ever grabbed my attention as a possible acquisition (I have family members with both Subs and Daytonas and been distinctly underwhelmed by both).

Buying a Deepsea would necessitate me selling watches off to raise the funds. Having made the decision to go down that path I started off by reluctantly selling my beautiful Panerai ref. PAM00156 because it netted me the most money. Just as that had gone off to it’s new home in the Netherlands and the proceeds were in the bank, life suddenly intervened and for various reasons I won’t go into here, buying a Rolex didn’t seem so important and things stopped at that point.

Some weeks ago, while idly glancing through Sales Corner I saw an ad for a DSSD being sold on a Rubber B strap but with no bracelet. It immediately caught my attention, but I was too late – it had already been sold to another forum member. So, I was surprised and intrigued last week to see that the same watch was back on SC, as the new owner had had a change of circumstances and was looking to recoup his money.

The rest as they say is history, and after a swift exchange of PMs and a trip up the M1 yesterday morning, I am now the owner of a Rolex for the first time in my life…

Here are the compulsory photos…

So, what do I think of it? Well, the decision to buy a Deepsea with no bracelet is not one that would work for everybody, but I’m entirely comfortable with it as I wanted to wear it on rubber anyway. Also, it obviously presented me with the opportunity to access DSSD ownership at a reduced price point.

The watch is in astonishing condition and is a tribute to the long-term owner (the member I actually bought it from never got round to wearing it at all….) There is literally barely a mark on it, yet it’s just over 8 years old.

I obviously don’t know how comfortable they are on bracelet, but I do feel that the bracelet on the 116660 tapers far too much (from a slightly odd 21mm down to a rather weedy 17mm) and so I can imagine that the watch could feel a little top-heavy? There’s no such issue with the Rubber B as it is 27mm wide at the widest point where the strap meets the end of the lugs and it ends up at 22mm wide at the buckle. It’s very stable, perfectly shaped to the wrist and extremely comfortable.

The watch itself doesn’t seem at all over-sized to me in comparison to other 44/45mm dive watches in my collection. Partly I think this is because the crystal and bezel slope gently downwards from the centre of the watch which reduces the height of the side profile, and partly it’s because the dial diameter is fractionally less than either of my Avengers and considerably less than my Field Engineer and my Navitimer. The whole watch is beautifully engineered with a good mix of brushed and polished surfaces, well executed crown and a lovely ceramic bezel with a smooth 120-click action.

As can be seen in the photos it’s a full set, right down to the bezel protector and both tags. I’ve just realised that I’ve not shown the COSC certificate, but it’s there in the back of the wallet.

Overall I’m extremely pleased and the Deepsea fits right into the collection (an updated SOTC will come in due course). The slightly difficult decision I’m going to have to make is whether or not I can justify to myself keeping my black dialled Breitling Avenger Skyland on rubber, since they really occupy the same territory in my collection (yes, before anyone says it, I know one's a chrono and the other isn't...) and I don’t think I can truly defend keeping both…

I hope you’ve enjoyed the brief musings of a Rolex virgin!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 16:28.

Master
    Nice write-up and great catch Simon.

great detailed post and pics

one of the few Rolex steel sports that I think is better on a rubber than the bracelet

intrigued why such a good condition set came to be separated from the steel bracelet

Very nice, and if you wanted to try/wear it on rubber it makes perfect sense. Although I do love the DSSD clasps.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    great detailed post and pics

one of the few Rolex steel sports that I think is better on a rubber than the bracelet

intrigued why such a good condition set came to be separated from the steel bracelet
    The long-term owner wore it on the Rubber B, put the bracelet away for safekeeping, moved house twice and lost it in the process!

Simon

Master
    Very nice Simon! Wear it in good health.

Looks fab on the rubber!

Master
    You were clearly destined to get that watch , and by the sounds of the write up, really pleased with it.

Well done

My favourite Rolex too and I personally think they look far better on a RubberB which makes the dial really pop.

The Rubber B straps are excellent, and for any Panerai owners out there they feel very similar to the Panerai OEM rubber straps.

Mind you, they should be good considering the price...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 19:44.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    You were clearly destined to get that watch , and by the sounds of the write up, really pleased with it.
    I certainly am!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 19:45.

Well done on picking up a great watch! Pm sent btw.

Very nice indeed. Really liking it on the Rubber B too. Interesting to see that it came from Brufords in Eastbourne, that's where my Speedmaster came from in 1965. Good to see a local jeweller like that still in business and not swallowed up by one of the high street chains.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Well done on picking up a great watch! Pm sent btw.
    ...and replied to...

Cheers, Simon

Craftsman
    Looks like a keeper to me!!

Craftsman
    looks lovely - and I really like it on Rubber.

In fact, I think I may do the same to my D-Blue, and try that on a black rubber strap -
    Is there a strap that may fit (is it the same one as above?)

Craftsman
    Congratulations, I wondered who beat me to it! Just as I got the ok from HID it was marked as sold. Enjoy it and if you ever want to sell please let me know👍

Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post

In fact, I think I may do the same to my D-Blue, and try that on a black rubber strap -
    They are made by Rubber B, and available from their website in various colours. Take a look at one of their images on the website with a blue strap fitted to a D-Blue where the blue matches the top half of the dial - it looks amazing!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexstu View Post
    Congratulations, I wondered who beat me to it! Just as I got the ok from HID it was marked as sold. Enjoy it and if you ever want to sell please let me know
    Sorry mate - I certainly didn’t hang around...!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 19:46.

Shameless plug.... i’m Just about to list a bunch of these straps for sale! Got black, black with stripes, blue, and red, and a black one that uses the original clasp.

Shameless plug.... i’m Just about to list a bunch of these straps for sale! Got black, black with stripes, blue, and red, and a black one that uses the original clasp.
    Let’s just say I like a deepsea on rubber!

Craftsman
    oooh - good timing - sorry to hijack - drop me a pm, interested - thanks!

Master
    Congratulations a great watch, it's good to own at least one Rolex.

Master
    Congratulations simon, great write up and the watch looks stupendous, I’m sure I’ll get another sometime soon or if you fancy shifting it 😉 which I doubt

Craftsman
    Lovely looking watch and strap.

It was 10 years after buying my first Submariner that I realised it was the weight of the bracelet I no longer wanted, rubber or nato works for me too and takes away some of the bling.
    Always good to hear a happy ending.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Enjoy it in good health

Congratulations on the DSSD, looks fabulous on the rubber, although I would recommend purchasing the bracelet at a later date as they are excellent, well worth it.
    Pity you didn’t advertise the Pam 156 GMT Regatta Limited Edition on here though as I would have been very interested, stunning looking Panerai.

oooh - good timing - sorry to hijack - drop me a pm, interested - thanks!
    Buy the blue one, siysiy!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 14th December 2018 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Congratulations simon, great write up and the watch looks stupendous, I’m sure I’ll get another sometime soon or if you fancy shifting it which I doubt
    You might have trouble prising it out of my hands now, Dave!

Simon

So broke now… but very pleased! (Rolex content)

@tz-uk73: I’ve now made some space in my Inbox!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 15th December 2018 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Congratulations on the DSSD, looks fabulous on the rubber, although I would recommend purchasing the bracelet at a later date as they are excellent, well worth it.
    Pity you didn’t advertise the Pam 156 GMT Regatta Limited Edition on here though as I would have been very interested, stunning looking Panerai.
    Yes, it would have been nice to keep the 156 within the forum but I’d already promised someone I know first refusal on it... You’re right, a stunning watch and if I ever buy another PAM I’d probably look at an 88.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Congratulations a great watch, it's good to own at least one Rolex.
    I think it will be my only one, alpha...

Simon

Lovely, Simon - and cherry popped! I must admit I've been very tempted by these of late.

Excellent work Simon - as I'm not a big bracelet fan, I think this is a great look. My instinct is a NATO, but knowing the watch not sure it'd work...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely, Simon - and cherry popped! I must admit I've been very tempted by these of late.
    Thanks Tony. You would certainly get better photos of it than me!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Excellent work Simon - as I'm not a big bracelet fan, I think this is a great look. My instinct is a NATO, but knowing the watch not sure it'd work...
    I don’t think it would work, but then I freely confess that I dislike NATOs intensely!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I don’t think it would work, but then I freely confess that I dislike NATOs intensely!

Simon
    haha fair enough! I was never a fan until I tried the Haveston NATOs and their 'floating keeper' and now I'm sold on them!

Check this one - http://www.haveston.com/hav017.html

I have it for my Dreadnaught Voyager which is also a chunky beast. This fortress strap is an older and heavier weave and balances it well. Maybe worth trying at some point :)

haha fair enough!

Check this one - http://www.haveston.com/hav017.html

Maybe worth trying at some point :)
    I think I’ll pass, mate .

Simon

Congratulations- looks great on the rubber strap. I had always thought these used the original clasp but when you said the bracelet dimensions a buckle makes far more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Fantastic post.

The DSSD certainly generates lots of negative comments generally on TZ and it’s great to read such a love filled thread. I have two and the Black is probably the most worn watch of my collection, I absolutely adore it and the whole OTT engineering excercise appeals.

I don’t find the watch too much in terms of weight and size and the bracelet is a work of art but I see the whole appeal of the rubber, having a sudo RB I pop on my 14060 and a Panerai is just so right on a rubber.

So, well done buddy and enjoy and I think you have just cost me a few guid.....

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats OP

Deepsea was a fave of mine old Rolex collection.

Loved looking at that big chunk side on - an engineering marvel!

Would love to try a JC version at some point

Master
    I did try my DSSD on a NATO and it was not a good look or feel. And I am a big NATO fan.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Congratulations- looks great on the rubber strap. I had always thought these used the original clasp but when you said the bracelet dimensions a buckle makes far more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thank you.

As I understand it there are 3 versions of the basic strap that Rubber B sell - one with their own buckle like mine, one with different dimensions to which the original Glidelock clasp can be attached and a third with a velcro closure on the end...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Fantastic post.

The DSSD certainly generates lots of negative comments generally on TZ and it’s great to read such a love filled thread. I have two and the Black is probably the most worn watch of my collection, I absolutely adore it and the whole OTT engineering excercise appeals.

I don’t find the watch too much in terms of weight and size and the bracelet is a work of art but I see the whole appeal of the rubber, having a sudo RB I pop on my 14060 and a Panerai is just so right on a rubber.

So, well done buddy and enjoy and I think you have just cost me a few guid.....

Pitch
    Thanks Pitch. I am thrilled with it and I guess that shows .

I’ve never really understood some of the negative comments to which you refer - yes it’s over-engineered and yes it’s going to be too big for some people, but neither of those points make it a ‘bad watch’, do they?!

If you’ve never tried the DSSD on a Rubber B you really ought to think about it - I happen to know there are some nice ones on SC right now .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I did try my DSSD on a NATO and it was not a good look or feel. And I am a big NATO fan.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Aha! Vindicated .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Congrats OP

Deepsea was a fave of mine old Rolex collection.

Loved looking at that big chunk side on - an engineering marvel!

Would love to try a JC version at some point
    Thank you.

I’m a little conflicted about the Cameron to be honest - whilst I do like the look of it, I think the substantial differential in second hand values is completely absurd...

Simon

Craftsman
    Congratulations...a great purchase!

That Deepsea looks so right on a Rubber B.

You now have me looking at one for my SD43 .. look what you've started now!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    That Deepsea looks so right on a Rubber B.

You now have me looking at one for my SD43 .. look what you've started now!
    You know it makes sense

Simon