closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steinhart 39mm Explorer - Gnomon Exclusive Edition - New Release

Steinhart 39mm Explorer - Gnomon Exclusive Edition - New Release

A heads up for a new release today from Gnomon - a 39mm Explorer. First time they have done an Explorer.

Like the Military, this will sell out quickly and there is no certainty how many will be made.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...omon-exclusive

I just ordered one (before posting this ) - price is £414.00 plus VAT and couriers fee when it arrives, so £500 give or take a pound or two.

Looks a stunner...

Good spot, that does look very nice indeed

I really like the OVM, but I’ll be honest and say I’m not 100% sure on this one; I think the dial belongs on a field watch, not a diver. Also, I imagine it’s the same case etc as all other Steinhart 39mm models but it’s only 100m water resistant whereas all their other divers are 300m? Seems a bit odd!

Steinhart/Gnomon made the same claims about the exclusivity of the OVM, but at the end of the day they’re in the game to make profit so like the OVM if this sells like hot cakes they’ll keep knocking them out.

Well done on getting in early doors on this one though, hope you like it - be good to see some pics and let us know your thoughts 👍

Interesting points David.

Here's a question - is it an Explorer at all or a homage to the late 50s 3,6,9 Dial Submariner, in which case the Diver set up would be correct.

100m/300ft is good enough for getting caught in the rain or even the odd holiday 6ft pool. I am not sure serious divers would consider any Steinhart as a tool watch.

Will update in due course.

Craftsman
    Looks lovely! But an incoming means I should be sensible......Although I was very tempted by your vintage red and missed it once I had made my mind up!

Have a feeling I will miss the boat on this one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Interesting points David.

Here's a question - is it an Explorer at all or a homage to the late 50s 3,6,9 Dial Submariner, in which case the Diver set up would be correct.

100m/300ft is good enough for getting caught in the rain or even the odd holiday 6ft pool. I am not sure serious divers would consider any Steinhart as a tool watch.

Will update in due course.
    Oh absolutely, I’d happily take that watch swimming, snorkelling and water skiing on holiday. My friends dad does actual diving and he won’t use anything other than Seiko ProSpex! I think I’m right in saying that with the first OVM Steinhart put 100m WR on the dial to be true to the original it was homaging, even though it was actually 300m WR. Doesn’t seem to be the case here, which just had me curious as to why there’s a difference to other dive models as I’d imagined they used a stock case & movement and then inserted different dials/bezels.

Notice from the pics it has drilled lugs which is a nice touch.

Regarding the dial, yeah no doubt a homage to early subs as you say. Nothing wrong with that, just as I say for me that dial design somehow doesn’t fit a dive watch. Maybe just too conditioned to the now more traditional baton style dive faces I guess. Also, I own a Tudor Ranger and an SKX and am so used to looking at them that that dial is a bit like somebody’s merged them into one watch! Prob doesn’t help them referring to it as the Explorer dial either!

I’m currently wrestling between a Squale black maxi dial, or a Steinhart OVM (next due in April I think) so this watch is of interest to me. Really interested to see and hear about it when you get it 👍

(Also I’ll be using Gnomon for my next buy, not used them before but I hear their service is top notch?)

Master
    I like it, looks great :-)

The Explorer is a dive watch with a 60 minute elapsed time bezel?

100m/300ft is good enough for getting caught in the rain or even the odd holiday 6ft pool.
    On Gnomon's Instagram page someone asked about the reduced WR - the answer back from Gnomon is that this text is in keeping with the vintage WR of the time/style. The watch IS in fact the same WR as the usual models.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomon Insta
    The WR on the dial is due to keeping the vintage theme. Definitely it can go more deep than that.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 13th December 2018 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    On Gnomon's Instagram page someone asked about the reduced WR - the answer back from Gnomon is that this text is in keeping with the vintage WR of the time/style. The watch IS in fact the same WR as the usual models.
    Yeah I mentioned that in my post as that’s what they did with the first run of OVM’s, but on the Gnomon page in the specs section it’s listed as 100m WR.

Master
    I think it really works, especially at 39mm, and so after a particularly challenging year, I have ordered one for Christmas. I'll let you know what I think in the New Year.

Just to update: just been asked by DHL to pay £26.00 - so clearly Gnomon are still under valuing parcels.

Therefore total cost to your door is £440.00 delivered.

Just to update: just been asked by DHL to pay £26.00 - so clearly Gnomon are still under valuing parcels.

Therefore total cost to your door is £440.00 delivered.
    Nice, I recently had to pay DHL £45 for an SKX007J from Creation, a watch that cost at less than half of your Steiny!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Nice, I recently had to pay DHL £45 for an SKX007J from Creation, a watch that cost at less than half of your Steiny!
    Creation used to put $20 on everything and there were no charges at this end. I think they were rumbled and the authorities put an end to it. I think Gnomon put $200 on everything, which is less obvious and incurs a charge, but it is much better than £80 to £90 - so thank you boys
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 18th December 2018 at 08:14.

Creation charge £7 or so as a delivery option, to receive via Royal Mail. Dispatched from the UK. Got a skx007 a couple of weeks ago for around £150 all in.

Master
    Nice but not as nice as Eddies Everest

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Nice but not as nice as Eddies Everest

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've had a few of Eddie's Smiths Everest, admittedly the one now referred to as the old one. Just couldn't get along with bracelet. It was only when I popped it on a Black Brady Sailcloth that it clicked - that is a wonderful combination. Still sold it though.

Waiting to see a few real life pics on the Friday thread. The new 36mm version would be too small for me.

Personally, I wished Steinhart had offered this in a 42mm version as well.

I've had a few of Eddie's Smiths Everest, admittedly the one now referred to as the old one. Just couldn't get along with bracelet. It was only when I popped it on a Black Brady Sailcloth that it clicked - that is a wonderful combination. Still sold it though.

Waiting to see a few real life pics on the Friday thread. The new 36mm version would be too small for me.

Personally, I wished Steinhart had offered this in a 42mm version as well.
    Are you a Steinhart veteran WR? What are your thoughts on the cases? They often seem to get panned for the long flat lugs. That’s one of a few reasons I’m edging toward a Squale 1545 (maxi dial or Militaire) over a Steinhart dive model (O1, OVM or GMT).

Are you a Steinhart veteran WR? What are your thoughts on the cases? They often seem to get panned for the long flat lugs. That’s one of a few reasons I’m edging toward a Squale 1545 (maxi dial or Militaire) over a Steinhart dive model (O1, OVM or GMT).
    I have seen comments from others about the flatness of the case and crystal and the length of the lugs and I think to some degree this drove the level of enthusiasm for the introduction of the 39mm model. Personally I have always been very happy with the 42mm models on my 7.25" relatively flat wrist. Example shot below.

I think it is horses for courses and of course brand loyalty. As a kid it was either Wranglers or Levi's - never both. Hope this makes sense. Plenty of people on here appear to adopt a brand and will stay with it. Let's exclude the Rolex crowd from this conversation for now, but plenty of Seiko, Squale even Orient etc etc.

Personally, I like Steinhart, the build quality is superb and the watches are clear and comfortable to wear and timing is always "spot on" as they say...

I have owned well over a dozen different models and several of some including my PB which is 7, yes 7 Mark 1 Vintage Reds. Often wondered what the record is on here for owning the same watch over and over.

I have tried other brands, I like Orient, but shy away from Seiko after taking a bath on every one that I have ever sold. I have now imposed a lifetime ban on that brand.

People will argue endlessly about this is better than that and the build quality of this is better etc, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what you like visually will differ from someone else and no number of stats will make a blind bit of difference to that.

I have owned three of the Military Mark 1 and three of the Gnomon limited edition Military with the superdome acrylic crystal, but being honest the hour hand is just too big for my liking and that is probably why I end up selling them. I always think the Military looks better in pictures than on the wrist.

Picked this up this week, didn't know it existed until I was offered it.

Brutal assessment is that it is probably too big and more of a collectors piece that deserves to sit in a collection with other rare pieces rather than being an everyday wearer. A watch for special occasions me thinks.

Yeah makes sense. I’ve always wondered if the Steinhart case thing was being overstated. I used to have a TAG of similar proportions that looked fine on. That vintage red looks great on. My wrist is 6.75” and flat, I’d have no issue wearing a watch of that size.

I think I’ve talked myself into getting the Squale black maxi dial for now. I’m not territorial about brands myself, I’ve got Seiko, Tudor, Casio, have had Heuer, Orient, Timex etc. Thing is I’ve no experience of either Steinhart or Squale and you can’t just go into a shop and try one on. You can end up reading and looking at things to death online, going through a a cycle pro’s and cons for every watch! I also like the Steinhart GMT 39 Pepsi on the jubilee, reckon there’s room for that and the Squale in my collection!

As an aside I’ve noticed Gnomon are doing more and more offers with Steinhart. They’re now making a black Ocean One ceramic with no cyclops too.

Picked this up this week, didn't know it existed until I was offered it.

Brutal assessment is that it is probably too big and more of a collectors piece that deserves to sit in a collection with other rare pieces rather than being an everyday wearer. A watch for special occasions me thinks.
    Er... wow. I say this as a Steinhart fan, veteran of the brand and current owner of probably the most controversial watch they have ever produced... and because I know it'll be like water off a duck's back with you Ken, but my GOD, that is bloody ugly! I've seen a few of the Russian forum specials and to be honest some are ok, but I am really struggling to find any merit in the design of that one at all!

Edit: I have one, I really like the markers at 12.

Edit again: what's the number 42 in red for?
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 14th December 2018 at 19:20.

I like the gilt hands and drilled lugs; don't like the lume colour. Nevertheless, another decent entry into the Steinhart canon. Hope you enjoy it Ken. (For as long as you keep it! )

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Er... wow. I say this as a Steinhart fan, veteran of the brand and current owner of probably the most controversial watch they have ever produced... and because I know it'll be like water off a duck's back with you Ken, but my GOD, that is bloody ugly! I've seen a few of the Russian forum specials and to be honest some are ok, but I am really struggling to find any merit in the design of that one at all!

Edit: I have one, I really like the markers at 12.

Edit again: what's the number 42 in red for?
    The dreaded skull I assume (well know actually). Are you saying you have one of these Lepro's?

Yes, I agree with you about the beauty or lack of - but then again the Russian race generally are a bunch of ugly ba**ards, so probably fitting really. Put it in a Watch box and you can imagine it annexing the Watch next door.

Just like your skull, this is a rare watch and wouldn't be difficult to move on.

The dreaded skull I assume (well know actually). Are you saying you have one of these Lepro's?

Just like your skull, this is a rare watch and wouldn't be difficult to move on.
    Sorry, that wasn't clear, I meant I've found something I liked about the Lepro; the markers at 12.

Yeah, the dreaded skull! I regularly strap that bad boy on when I look in the box and everything else just feels boring. And I guess that's the appeal of the Lepro too, it is for those days when you want to tell the world to go f**k itself with its boring forum darlings!

Sorry, that wasn't clear, I meant I've found something I liked about the Lepro; the markers at 12.

Yeah, the dreaded skull! I regularly strap that bad boy on when I look in the box and everything else just feels boring. And I guess that's the appeal of the Lepro too, it is for those days when you want to tell the world to go f**k itself with its boring forum darlings!
    Paul, here is a lume shot. Not exactly going to win lume of the year award, but a great watch quiz question - here is the lume, name that watch

The 12 is the best - two dots.

Here's the Barrique Skull, almost Seiko-like...

Looks good, shame it’s not a 42mm though... Just can’t gel with my 39mm Ocean.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yeah makes sense. I’ve always wondered if the Steinhart case thing was being overstated. I used to have a TAG of similar proportions that looked fine on. That vintage red looks great on. My wrist is 6.75” and flat, I’d have no issue wearing a watch of that size.

I think I’ve talked myself into getting the Squale black maxi dial for now. I’m not territorial about brands myself, I’ve got Seiko, Tudor, Casio, have had Heuer, Orient, Timex etc. Thing is I’ve no experience of either Steinhart or Squale and you can’t just go into a shop and try one on. You can end up reading and looking at things to death online, going through a a cycle pro’s and cons for every watch! I also like the Steinhart GMT 39 Pepsi on the jubilee, reckon there’s room for that and the Squale in my collection!

As an aside I’ve noticed Gnomon are doing more and more offers with Steinhart. They’re now making a black Ocean One ceramic with no cyclops too.
    The concern with the 42mm case and the 22mm bracelet for that matter, in my opinion, is not overstated. My wrists are marginally bigger than yours and the 42mm was just uncomfortable, and I had two. The 39mm is perfect and you don't even notice you are wearing it. The only really poor part of the Steinhart is the dreadful and almost redundant cyclops. I find it almost impossible to read. The Squale looks nice but I would plumb for a Davosa Ternos 40mm if I was after a Sub homage. This one looks awesome but it costs a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Nw16byHv4

Master
    Watch arrived today as promised by Gnomon. Excellent service, packaged well and a free Nato and polishing cloth also included.

A quick shot before wrapping it up for the 25th. The richness of the lume and hands is much stronger in person. Love the domed crystal as well:

^^^^^

Looks very nice.

Looks super. Just checked on mine, landed at Frankfurt this morning - due to be delivered on Tuesday.

Master
    Looks super. Just checked on mine, landed at Frankfurt this morning - due to be delivered on Tuesday.
    I think you'll love it.

I must just ad though that my bezel is very tight but does spin when you apply pressure from the top and so I am confident it will give. I'm not the type to send it back just yet as I am very happy with it and willing to see how it goes. My Pepsi is perfect and so I know it's not the norm. It happens.

It's not that easy wrapping it back up though

Just arrived.

Just got back from lunch and a few beers, so I will leave it in its box and have a play tomorrow, but at least it's arrived.

Grand Master
    Just got back from lunch and a few beers, so I will leave it in its box and have a play tomorrow, but at least it's arrived.
    Good decision, don`t try adjusting bracelets whilst under the influence.......unless you're 'skilled in the art'

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I think you'll love it.

I must just ad though that my bezel is very tight but does spin when you apply pressure from the top and so I am confident it will give. I'm not the type to send it back just yet as I am very happy with it and willing to see how it goes. My Pepsi is perfect and so I know it's not the norm. It happens.

It's not that easy wrapping it back up though
    It's possible to lubricate the bezel if you're careful. Get a dropper and some WD40 or GT 85 lubricant, squirt some into a jar then drop a few drops into the gap between bezel and case. Hold the watch upside down and the lubricant should work its way in. Rotate the bezel a few times then wipe off any excess oil as it creeps out. I prefer GT 85, it's got PTFE in and it behaves almost like a dry lubricant.

Wipe any oil off the bezel insert immediately....better still, don`t get any on! It shouldn`t do harm but I don`t take chances.

I was up until stupid o'clock last night, or this morning, and delirious with fatigue I nearly bought another Ocean Vintage.

Then I decided to wait until I was something approaching human and gladly today I decided not to purchase... so today I purchased the 39 Explorer instead. I've always bought directly from Steinhart, resisting paying extra for Gnomon.
    Making the break to Gnomon could be an expensive move, they have a lot of sexy stuff there from a decent range of brands.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you Ken.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It's possible to lubricate the bezel if you're careful. Get a dropper and some WD40 or GT 85 lubricant, squirt some into a jar then drop a few drops into the gap between bezel and case. Hold the watch upside down and the lubricant should work its way in. Rotate the bezel a few times then wipe off any excess oil as it creeps out. I prefer GT 85, it's got PTFE in and it behaves almost like a dry lubricant.

Wipe any oil off the bezel insert immediately....better still, don`t get any on! It shouldn`t do harm but I don`t take chances.
    Thanks for the advice and it did cross my mind briefly. I'll see what you can get here as I don't think they sell GT85. Cheers.
    Last edited by stix; 18th December 2018 at 00:48.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    The concern with the 42mm case and the 22mm bracelet for that matter, in my opinion, is not overstated. My wrists are marginally bigger than yours and the 42mm was just uncomfortable, and I had two. The 39mm is perfect and you don't even notice you are wearing it. The only really poor part of the Steinhart is the dreadful and almost redundant cyclops. I find it almost impossible to read. The Squale looks nice but I would plumb for a Davosa Ternos 40mm if I was after a Sub homage. This one looks awesome but it costs a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Nw16byHv4
    That is very tempting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by miff View Post
    That is very tempting
    Ha, yes, it is

Equally good vid of the blue version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNgPjLk9bmU
    Last edited by stix; 18th December 2018 at 03:33.

Journeyman
    nice one!

Still battling with the size. This was my first 39mm Steinhart and compared to the 42mm on my wrist at present it's looks too small for my wrist. I thought it unwise to remove the stickers and size the bracelet just in case it gets moved on.

I have put it on SC and if anyone wants it at cost price you are welcome, but otherwise I might wait until they sell out and put it on e-bay, these things always sell well over there.

It is a lovely watch and I really would like to unpack it and have a play, but best not at present.

Ken, how long does Gnomon take to stick in the post? Or do they even bother sending a confirmation of postage email?

I bought mine exactly (to the minute!) two days ago, the money has gone and I received an email confirming the order but there's been nothing since.

Ken, how long does Gnomon take to stick in the post? Or do they even bother sending a confirmation of postage email?

I bought mine exactly (to the minute!) two days ago, the money has gone and I received an email confirming the order but there's been nothing since.
    Paul, I got a confirmation e-mail, it might even have been from PayPal saying your item has been dispatched. Mine only took a few days to get here and travelled over the weekend. Keep an eye on any phone numbers that you may have given them, mobile or land line etc. DHL have a habit of leaving messages saying parcel fees need paying and they give an automated waybill number. Once you have that you can log on and pay and from that point on tracking is fairly easy.

I was talking to Rusty earlier today and the Customs were checking into his to establish the value to make sure the correct fees are paid.

Makes mine on SC more attractive to anyone reading this who can't be bothered with all the hassle

Ok, I'll try and be more patient, but two days seems very long these days.

Ok, I'll try and be more patient, but two days seems very long these days.
    Have you logged in on their website and checked your order. Might be worth a try.

Hope they haven't shut down for Xmas / New Year holidays

Ah, good idea, ill have a look.

My order history says this:

Order Status
    Paypal - Completed

I guess that means they have sent it, I eagerly await DHL asking for their pound of flesh.

Edit: checked my spam folder, shipping confirmation email in there. It took an entire TWELVE minutes for Gnomon to have it en route, complete with tracking number... so much for my worries about slow shipping, it arrived in LHR at 5am this morning.
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 19th December 2018 at 19:06.

Steinhart 39mm Explorer - Gnomon Exclusive Edition - New Release

Ah, good idea, ill have a look.

My order history says this:

Order Status
    Paypal - Completed

I guess that means they have sent it, I eagerly await DHL asking for their pound of flesh.
    My Paypal says complete too but the tracking link provides an error page. On dhl tracking site it said delivery expected by close of play on 18th, but now it says “unable to provide expected delivery date”. Emailed gnomon and dhl and have had no reply 12 hours later. Tbh I had no idea they were stating a £200 value and if that’s causing a delay in me getting my watch I’m rather pi55ed off about it. It would be on my wrist now if they hadn’t done this.

Also I have had no voicemail, email or missed call from dhl.

Excellent Paul. The dreaded Spam Mail. Nearly had a purchase collapse last week due to Spam. Both sides thought the other had lost interest and gone quiet, when in fact there were a stack of e-mails sitting unread in Spam.

A heads up for a new release today from Gnomon - a 39mm Explorer. First time they have done an Explorer.

Nice, but not original. I still love my Mk II Nassau 3-6-9 from 2015. :)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My Paypal says complete too but the tracking link provides an error page. On dhl tracking site it said delivery expected by close of play on 18th, but now it says “unable to provide expected delivery date”. Emailed gnomon and dhl and have had no reply 12 hours later. Tbh I had no idea they were stating a £200 value and if that’s causing a delay in me getting my watch I’m rather pi55ed off about it. It would be on my wrist now if they hadn’t done this.

Also I have had no voicemail, email or missed call from dhl.
    I don't want to jinx it, but mine has passed through customs and is now in East Midlands, I have yet to hear from DHL. I don't know if I'm being lucky and avoiding charges on this occasion.