closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Rolex or New Tudor - decisions decisions

Old Rolex or New Tudor - decisions decisions

It’s a bit of a turd question, but am wrestling with buying an older Sub date or a new Tudor black bay Chrono.
    The cost is not the biggest factor, but I am thinking to hang on to it whichever I go for (he says, for the 50th time in his life!) and it will be worn almost every day.

I like them both. I can’t but both (without the other half going bonkers).

I know the Tudor is a bit if an odd fish but I tried one on and it sat well, I like the style - I might have the snowflake hand modded for a straight, but apart from that I am really taken with it.
    The Rolex is a classic, older, with trit dial and drilled lugs. I have had a few before so know what I am getting. Wears perfectly for me, size-wise. It’s also about £1500 more.... but I have a very soft spot for them.

Any thoughts, and reasoning? (“Rolex because I don’t like the Tudor” is not overly helpful - but it’s an open forum, say what you will!)

I’m just waffling. I think my interior monologue is broken.

Cheers - N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 13th December 2018 at 11:08.

You definitely sound like you prefer one of them

As with most things, it’s not a decision - if we are honest we usually make them immediately - it’s acceptance of your decision and fear of regret.
    The only answers you find at the top of the mountain are the ones you take there with you....

But still, I can’t bloody decide!
    I have cons for both....

I’d go for the Rolex. Mainly because eventually if you like both, you should get both. And it might get harder and more expensive to get the Role in the future. While that may not be true for the Tudor. So start with the sub!

Master
    head says Sub because the price is only going up in price. if you can afford both get the Sub then cool off for a while and then start looking for a Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I’d go for the Rolex. Mainly because eventually if you like both, you should get both. And it might get harder and more expensive to get the Role in the future. While that may not be true for the Tudor. So start with the sub!
    This would be my logical decision if I liked both.

Journeyman
    Personally, I'd go for the Rolex for the same reasons posted above.

Master
    You say you're looking for a keeper but have already had the Rolex a few times, in which case it doesn't sound like a good place to start ;)

Master
    They’re both quite different though ? Have you thought about a black bay 58 and black bay Chrono? Both for the price of one Rolex sub :)

Although I echo the rest, buy the sub, cool off then get the black bay chrono

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You definitely sound like you prefer one of them
    That's right fats
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Reading this, it seems the decision is made already the sub. I prefer the older subs, they are lovely to wear and hit the spot comfort wise. The Tudor is easily available and will be so for the future. The subs are growing in price and getting harder to come by in complete sets.

Master
    I’m assuming it’ll be an applied marker sub at that money so for me it’d be the Tudor as I only like the older ‘lume on dial’ subs. The fact you want to mod the Tudor with straight hands I’d say for you, go for the Sub!

Modding the Tudor is a bad idea, if you don’t like the hands don’t buy it. I’ve never seen a watch that looks better with swapped hands. Plus your warranty would be out the window and when you sell it (51st time?) it’ll be a sticking point.

To some of us the snowflake hands are what sets Tudor apart from the rest. I totally get if people’s dont like them but buying one if you don’t like it seems silly.

A Tudor big block would seem to be a watch that meets many of your criteria, vintage, increasing in price and its a Tudor Chrono. Great old things!

IMG_20181208_093948b by Simon Gee, on Flickr

I prefer the Tudor but the fact you want to mod it already suggests it’s not ideal for you.

Ooooh - The Big Block tudors are really what I want, but just a tad expensive right now for a good-un. I’ve been lusting after one of them for ages!

Am undecided on the mod, I know it is a rash thing to do to a new watch. I’d live with it first and see. I photoshopped a non-snowflake hand into one and it looked tidy, but more in keeping with their chrono history hence the idea.

Also, I wear mine for everything, and not sure if the Chrono would end up being a bit heavy/clunky?

(I know where I am leaning..... I just get a bit funny about the ubiquity of the Sub, dunno why. Some latent snobbery and I don’t like that of myself)

Craftsman
    As others have said, the scarcity of the Rolex would lead me to buy that first. Eventually you can secure the Tudor much easier down the line.

If it has to be one and only one, it sounds like the Rolex is the choice, simply due to the fact you know what you are getting into.

I also agree on the Tudor front about the hands, the snowflake makes it, would be a shame to loose that uniqueness.

Good luck with the purchase.

Pro tip - toss a coin, while it's in the air you'll find yourself hoping which side it comes down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What about an old Tudor submariner instead

Master
    I honestly think a modern Tudor has a higher quality feel than older sub. Especially the bracelet and clasp. *puts tin hat on*

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I honestly think a modern Tudor has a higher quality feel than older sub. Especially the bracelet and clasp. *puts tin hat on*
    Doesn’t need a clasp lol but I have to say the build quality on this modern Tudor is sublime.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I'd take a vintage (ish) Rolex every time. I assume it's a 16800?

Craftsman
    Get the Rolex now and save for the Tudor. Simples

For me, a tritium sub beats most things hands down. Slim, gorgeous and it’ll sell all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Ooooh - The Big Block tudors are really what I want, but just a tad expensive right now for a good-un. I’ve been lusting after one of them for ages!

Am undecided on the mod, I know it is a rash thing to do to a new watch. I’d live with it first and see. I photoshopped a non-snowflake hand into one and it looked tidy, but more in keeping with their chrono history hence the idea.

Also, I wear mine for everything, and not sure if the Chrono would end up being a bit heavy/clunky?

(I know where I am leaning..... I just get a bit funny about the ubiquity of the Sub, dunno why. Some latent snobbery and I don’t like that of myself)

Master

Different

I’ve had many Rolex Subs of various ages and variants but never really cling on to them and although I miss them I have missed other watches more so for me they can lack something?!? I think working in London and attending boring meetings all the time my mind wonders on to what watches people wear and usually it’s a Rolex Sub but when I see a Tudor it’s an oddity that gets me excited!
    I absolutely love the new Chronos they do and will have one at some point?! I do like the idea of spending £1500 less and using that money to buy another watch that can be flipped in the future rather than the Tudor Chrono!!

It’s a vote for Tudor here for rarity in the real world and looks because Chronos are my weak spot!!

Chris

RustyBin5 - that photo is not helping! I still think it’s one of the nicest looking watches you can buy new.

subchris - this is my issue. I see loads of Subs everywhere. Does not mean they aren’t excellent, but they aren’t overly exciting (much as I like them).

Chinnock - I bloody went and tried a Pelagos left-hander as a result of your post this week!!!! It’s a lovely thing, that is true. All of the tudors I tried (again, today! Pelagos on Rubber, Lefty Pelagos, Black Bay Steel, and the Black Bay Chrono) feel incredibly well put together.

Cracking watches and for once, good value for money I feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I am now leaning toward the Tudor.... but need to haggle with Goldsmiths first to see where that leads

Craftsman

I like them both. I can’t buy both (without the other half going bonkers).

How much on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being a bit stroppy, to 8 being divorce and 10 being bumped off and buried under the patio)? Get both if you can afford it (and you can avoid a score of 5 or above).

I can see why many default to the Rollie as it's clearly the best investment vehicle, but if you've had loads of subs before maybe you'll end up selling this one on for the same reasons. Also there are plenty of them around (probably one of the most produced luxury watches in Europe?) it's just that the prices are nudging up, but maybe due to flatten out soon (god forbid, how dare i say that!?). Saying that i'm no expert but aren't the tritium dial subs super rare?

Also Tudor may whack their new prices up at any time, especially given their current popularity.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 15th December 2018 at 20:13.

I've recently acquired a BB GMT new, it was that or an ExplorerII about 15 years old. I have a lovely old Rolex Red Sub but wanted an every day watch as its been valued at £18,000. While I would agree that you should always get the watch that takes your fancy I do think there are advantages to having a "new" watch. The movement is less likely to drift accuracy and will not need a service for some years. The newer steel bracelets are a great improvement to older bracelets and of course you have a guarantee.
    Cheers

It’s a bit of a turd question, but am wrestling with buying an older Sub date or a new Tudor black bay Chrono.
    The cost is not the biggest factor, but I am thinking to hang on to it whichever I go for (he says, for the 50th time in his life!) and it will be worn almost every day.

I like them both. I can’t but both (without the other half going bonkers).

I know the Tudor is a bit if an odd fish but I tried one on and it sat well, I like the style - I might have the snowflake hand modded for a straight, but apart from that I am really taken with it.
    The Rolex is a classic, older, with trit dial and drilled lugs. I have had a few before so know what I am getting. Wears perfectly for me, size-wise. It’s also about £1500 more.... but I have a very soft spot for them.

Any thoughts, and reasoning? (“Rolex because I don’t like the Tudor” is not overly helpful - but it’s an open forum, say what you will!)

I’m just waffling. I think my interior monologue is broken.

Cheers - N

I vote for tritum Rolex.

I buy a watch based on what it does for me. Couldn't care less whether they're ten to the dozen in London. If it floats my boat its on the shortlist. And I'm rather partial to my old school 40mm Sub, so this would be my vote, but I'm hoping you'll ignore everything myself and others here vote for, and just go with your gut instinct. Nice predicament to be in btw, enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    A Tudor big block would seem to be a watch that meets many of your criteria, vintage, increasing in price and its a Tudor Chrono. Great old things!

IMG_20181208_093948b by Simon Gee, on Flickr
    take these every day of the week,top watch and flies under the radar

If you buy Tudor, you will regret not getting the Rolex.

So a Rolex Sub would be the obvious choice, however rather than a Sub, why not a 16700 GMT (with a black insert if you want) or a 16600 SD - proper tool watch which should see you out.

Dont get me wrong Tudor make fine watches, but they don't have a full blown Rolex Movement. A bit like buying a bog standard Mercedes rather than going AMG.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Go with your head and buy the Rolex. Go with your heart and it might be the Tudor.

Went for the right thing.....

Master
    Went for the right thing.....

...and you got??

Well played - enjoy it!

I think you made an emotional rather than financial choice and that’s refreshing. I think also it was the right choice purely because you have owned so many subs already and sold them all.

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I wish I had the wrists for one of these, lovely piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I wish I had the wrists for one of these, lovely piece!
    Wears a bit smaller or more flush on leather

Craftsman
    The snowflake doesn’t look as intrusive as other photos have made out. Real pictures can often tell the truth.

I like it a lot...

If you want to mod the tudor, get the rolex

0_0 ciao

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    If you want to mod the tudor, get the rolex

0_0 ciao
    And then sell the Rolex again like all the others he has got rid of. Think......

Is there enough data to build up an accurate picture of how easy it is to sell a modded Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is there enough data to build up an accurate picture of how easy it is to sell a modded Tudor?
    Doubt it

Now that I have it, it does not need the mod - I was getting a little ahead of myself. It’s totally legible even when the hands obscure the chrono dials, I’d read too much into it with reviews and hearsay.

In the same vein as Chinnock, I am really impressed with the Tudor. It’s exceptionally well put together - for the price, I’ve not found anything really on par

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 25th December 2018 at 00:54.

Very Merry Christmas all! (Very nearly anyway....)