closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on this CCTV system

Craftsman

Opinions on this CCTV system

I am looking for some advice on which CCTV system to buy.

Over the last week there has been a gang targeting the area where I live stealing high performance cars, three have been stolen (RS3, new Golf GTI & a 330d M sport), they have been breaking in to the homes and stealing the keys. Last week I disturbed them trying to get in our side door after pulling the security light off and damaging the gate, the following night a neighbour disturbed two young lads again hanging around my RS4 so it seems they have their eye on it.

I have no idea on CCTV systems but dont have the biggest budget so the below in terms of spec (5mp, 1080p) seems reasonable?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8MP-5MP-C...r=591604850041

I did call a few local companies and prices varied from £290 - £450 for two cameras supplied and fitted but the lower ones were 2-2.5mp so I am thinking about buying a system my self and getting it installed. I dont want to pay £350+ for a system which is probably just bought from eBay or similar.

Any advice appreciated

Have you tried Cleveland security? They’ve done 3 of my properties and can’t reccomend them enough.

Craftsman
    Let me know how you get on, in after a 3 cam setup. Been looking at the hikvision 6mp cams, supposed to be good. Look a doddle to fit aswell

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know how you get on, in after a 3 cam setup. Been looking at the hikvision 6mp cams, supposed to be good. Look a doddle to fit aswell

Master
    Under those circumstances I'm not sure CCTV would make a difference.

To start with, I'd install a steering wheel lock. It's visual and means that they will physically need to get hold of the keys to the car and lock to make any inroads.

Then clearly store the keys overnight somewhere that is out of range / signal for a signal repeater

At this point chances are they need to get into the house to steal the car and you mention them breaking in elsewhere. If you are on a budget I would spend the money on improving locks to the house or having an alarm installed ahead of CCTV. Ultimately the car is a material object, I would be most concerned about them getting into the house and all the advice I have seen suggests that locks and alarms are more effective than CCTV where they just stick a hood on and ignore it. You can also buy dummy cctv cameras and alarm boxes that flash a light at intervals to appear real.

Internal CCTV cameras are a fair bit cheaper so nothing to stop you using a small part of the budget on a single camera hidden in a spot that covers say the downstairs hall.

Is there an alarm system that when activated sounds like the 'Baskerville hound' with the munchies?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info.

Putting CCTV up is more of a deterrent, I dont think it would put them off but a lot of them have a motion sensor and will alert me if someone is snooping about and I can then check or if they do happen to steal the car at least I have something to show the police.
    I am going to order a steering wheel lock today and look at getting an anti-snap barrel on the rear conservatory doors (others are anti snap) in the hope that will stop them coming in.

The keys are kept hung up in the understairs cupboard so definitely out of reach.?

Its annoying when you work hard for a nice car etc and then have to spend X amount more just to stop people from pinching it!

I would also consider a better alarm system - i know they are after the keys but you can immobilse with the app or maybe a Blackjack. Rubbish I know - i have an old RS4 and the seats are a target but the newer ones it must be the whole car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The keys are kept hung up in the understairs cupboard so definitely out of reach.?
    This is worth a look https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...-blockers-2018

The most reliable way is to simply put the keys in something that acts like a faraday box and stops signals regardless of where you choose to leave your keys at night

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is there an alarm system that when activated sounds like the 'Baskerville hound' with the munchies?
    https://www.cna-electronics.co.uk/se...ducts-52-c.asp

This product is great, especially a stand alone unit fitted to perimeter beams.
    I now a security company who install these with great results.
    As I always say stop the thieves as far away from your house as you can.

Craftsman
    Go Hikvision, 5mp is sufficient. Fit an external mic, these sometimes give you more info than the picture.
    Link perimeter beams either to activate your alarm or just the chime so you know the toe rags are on your property and as many have said improve you home locks etc
    Someone I know has just installed a electric bollard, proper job and no one will be getting his motors off his property!!

Craftsman
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183051377288

This or the 6mp version was what I was looking at

Blog Entries
    If all the cctv does is record images, then it won't deter them. The guy caught on my cctv trying to break into my garage simply pulls up his hood and scarf, then carries on. What stopped him was the doors being secured and jemmy proof. The camera also notified me what was going on to my I-phone and I missed him by seconds but was able to call the police straightaway. We have two different camera systems, both notify and stream any motion picked up. (in addition to an alarm which does the same).
    I reckon being notified something is going on is best. Also one camera system allows two way conversation, so you can tell them you can see them!

Craftsman
    We have a Hikvision set up and works great, not the cheapest but quality is excellent. Also use the mobile pp to check property at any time.

There’s a load of vids doing the rounds at the mo and one thing is clear, these guys are not deterred by CCTV. As said above get a visual deterrent on the car and check all your doors and windows to ensure that it’ll make it difficult should they decide to break in.

If getting CCTV do it properly, no point getting it if everything looks like a smudge.

My wife has been bugging me about getting CCTV for the last few years and with recently there being a break in in the house across the road at 11:30 in the morning I think I’ll finally have to listen. But for me it’s more to do with capturing evidence to catch the scrotes.

Craftsman
    That system is garbage, but the same seller does offer Hikvison. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...N6ug:rk:3:pf:0

I think you might also want to consider really good lighting for your parking area, and a camera that is capable of recording plate numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    I am looking for some advice on which CCTV system to buy.

Over the last week there has been a gang targeting the area where I live stealing high performance cars, three have been stolen (RS3, new Golf GTI & a 330d M sport), they have been breaking in to the homes and stealing the keys. Last week I disturbed them trying to get in our side door after pulling the security light off and damaging the gate, the following night a neighbour disturbed two young lads again hanging around my RS4 so it seems they have their eye on it.

I have no idea on CCTV systems but dont have the biggest budget so the below in terms of spec (5mp, 1080p) seems reasonable?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8MP-5MP-C...r=591604850041

I did call a few local companies and prices varied from £290 - £450 for two cameras supplied and fitted but the lower ones were 2-2.5mp so I am thinking about buying a system my self and getting it installed. I dont want to pay £350+ for a system which is probably just bought from eBay or similar.

Any advice appreciated

Blog Entries
    I had a Hikvision 4 camera 8mp system installed at home a couple of months ago and I have to say that I am really pleased with it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I had a Hikvision 4 camera 8mp system installed at home a couple of months ago and I have to say that I am really pleased with it!
    Can I ask what the bill came to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I'm interested too as was quoted £1k for a 3 camera Hikvision system a year ago and politely declined as felt expensive.

Craftsman
    Ring do a great hard wired camera with lots of features and settings for around £250. Well worth looking at 👍 Runs with WiFi and a great app.

Journeyman
    Fitted my own 2 camera Hikvision Cctv for £350 and its really impressive. Miles better than the Arlo it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A friend had his house broken into a couple of years ago while on holiday. He hadn't set the house alarm & they simply broke a bedroom window to gain entry. He has since paid for a pro camera set up to cover the outside of the property.
    Last Sunday a guy walks up the drive with his hood up drills the garage lock and walks away with 2 road bikes worth 4K all while he was asleep at 3.30am

Locks cameras lights every little helps. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    £1,200 all in which included a 2TB recorder and a Samsung monitor. I thought it was pretty good value for a wired 8mp system.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Fitted my own 2 camera Hikvision Cctv for £350 and its really impressive. Miles better than the Arlo it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same as I've done, had it up a few years now and works well.
    Easy enough to fit, trickiest problem is hiding the cables so it so looks tidy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    £1,200 all in which included a 2TB recorder and a Samsung monitor. I thought it was pretty good value for a wired 8mp system.
    Was it a local company as I am not too far from you?

Master
    Telescopic or lay flat security posts at the end of the drive.

I'd also be pestering my mp to find out why the police are letting this continue.