closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mesh Wifi suggestions

Craftsman

Mesh Wifi suggestions

Hi,

Any recommendations for a decent mesh wifi system.

I have read good reviews on the google and orbi brands, however, both quite dear.

Does anyone own either or have suggestions on another brand.

Thanks

I have the Orbi system (RBK50). I went for this a couple of years ago as it was one of the few that had two key features for me: the ability to setup a Guest network and the ability to assign static IP addresses. Would I recommend it - NO! Too many people are having too many problems. I have ongoing issues with Philips Hue lighting routines not working reliably and Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) momentarily disconnecting from the WiFi when connected to the satellite. These problems are also reported by others. A decent mesh system will come at a price. If I was looking now I'd be buying a Ubiquiti Amplifi system.
    Last edited by Skier; 13th December 2018 at 01:15.

Probably just as dear but I have and would recommend the BT whole home system. Very easy to set up and use, as well as being reliable.

Craftsman
    I like eero above the alternatives, the large install base my favorite thing about it. If there is a problem with compatibility with a "smart home" device, I'm not usually the first one to find it. Because these systems are typically self configured, there are very few management options to work with. That makes troubleshooting other automatic systems (like the auto discovery of Apple HomeKit and Hue devices) rather difficult, and we have to rely on the manufacturers to provide fixes for unexpected behavior.

All this being said, the BT system is a bargain at £168.98/3 units. Three eero Pro would be closer to £699.00.

[BTW Skier, The reason these systems often don't work is that the mesh networking gear clamps down on multicast traffic in an effort to protect itself.] One alternative is to install commercial WiFi gear, but that is much more costly.

What issue(s) is mesh mode addressing for you? Is there another way?

Expensive commercial make but I installed 12x Ruckus access points at school 5 years ago and they have been faultless. Their performance, hand off, capacity etc is amazing.

I recently bought a Tenda mesh system off SC, and have to say it works brilliantly in my daughter's huge 5 bedroom barn conversion. She couldn't get a decent wi-fi signal anywhere in the remote rooms and now it's full strength pretty much everywhere.
    3 little discreet cubes almost plug & play.

BT are offering their latest mesh solution free to BT Plus punters.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi/

I put a 3 station tp link deco m5 system in about a month ago.

It’s proved very reliable and WiFi access is now superb. We have a long thin house with lots of brick so previous configuration was ropey.

I can even get good access on the road and right at the end of our garden.

Their app is very good as well we have kids and have set up profiles that restricts the time they can use on all their devices and you can set bedtime limits as well

Plus you can very easily create guest WiFi, again with limits.

Paid about £200 on amazon. Depending on the size of your house you might be ok with two units.

Doesn't sky Q make a wireless mesh network?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Only if you have a sky router/broadband.

I have BT Whole home and it was initially terrible. A few firmware updates and it is very stable now and works without any issues.

I've fitted Ubiquiti stuff at home recently. No mesh, as such, but automatically hands over to whichever access point as a user moves about the house. Very simple to setup (I binned the Cisco stuff I had earlier as too painful to setup a small network easily).

I've been using google mesh for a few months. Easy-peasy set-up and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I know it wasn't cheap, but trouble-free and full-coverage wifi is worth it.

Master
    I bought a 2 unit Google Wifi pack from John Lewis for £169 and it's been faultless. So easy to set up, configure and use. 2 units covers my whole house (140sqm) and I get full signal in every room.

I bought BT whole home mesh with 3 stations. Easy set up, relatively cheap and no issues. Strong coverage all over the house.

Craftsman
    I researched these a few months ago. Shortlisted these 3:
    1. BT whole home - cheapest for a 3 unit set; works just fine
    2. Google wifi - more expensive but again works just fine
    3. Ubiquiti - most expensive of the 3. offers lots of powerful features which i didn't need - scared me off. most reliable but also needs a dedicated pc or their own device to maintain the settings etc

I went for the BT option. It has worked well. I had a few issues last month with devices dropping off but a firmware update fixed that.

Forgot to mention we have Sky Q with 3 mini boxes and their mesh is pretty poor. In the end I turned it off and used powerline adaptors and ethernet for these and put in Deco for all other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

Master
    Another deco user here around 12-18 months now and we’ve been very pleased with it, Barn conversion with very thick walls and an odd shape was proving a bit of a nightmare even with Apple router scattered about the place.
    I’d happily buy the deco again it’s proved very reliable and simple to use WiFi throughout the house is now superb.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    I've fitted Ubiquiti stuff at home recently. No mesh, as such, but automatically hands over to whichever access point as a user moves about the house. Very simple to setup (I binned the Cisco stuff I had earlier as too painful to setup a small network easily).
    This is what I have as well, also not mesh. I set it up about 2 1/2 years ago. Two AP AC lites for wifi, and an Edgerouter X router. WIFI coverage and handoff is geat. As important, they have been very good at providing security updates for the APs and router.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I researched these a few months ago. Shortlisted these 3:
    1. BT whole home - cheapest for a 3 unit set; works just fine
    2. Google wifi - more expensive but again works just fine
    3. Ubiquiti - most expensive of the 3. offers lots of powerful features which i didn't need - scared me off. most reliable but also needs a dedicated pc or their own device to maintain the settings etc

I went for the BT option. It has worked well. I had a few issues last month with devices dropping off but a firmware update fixed that.
    You don't need a dedicated PC, etc., for the Ubiquiti. The controller program does run on a PC and is accessed via a browser, but it doesn't need to be running unless you are changing the settings of the APs or updating their firmware.

Also, the Ubiquiti AP AC Lite does mesh (wireless upline), but wired also.

RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 15th December 2018 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I have the Orbi system (RBK50). I went for this a couple of years ago as it was one of the few that had two key features for me: the ability to setup a Guest network and the ability to assign static IP addresses. Would I recommend it - NO! Too many people are having too many problems. I have ongoing issues with Philips Hue lighting routines not working reliably and Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) momentarily disconnecting from the WiFi when connected to the satellite. These problems are also reported by others. A decent mesh system will come at a price. If I was looking now I'd be buying a Ubiquiti Amplifi system.
    I have the same system but I haven’t experienced any of the issues you mention above with Hue or my Apple devices!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice/opinions.

May just get the BT whole house system - just need to boost the wifi signal.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I have the same system but I haven’t experienced any of the issues you mention above with Hue or my Apple devices!
    Neither did I until the last two firmware updates. Up until then the system had been rock solid.

Blog Entries
    After years of poor coverage and even more so with last years extensions, this thread, and the purchase of a BT Whole House system, ours lives have changed for the better.

Amazing system, we have WiFi round the house like never before.

I salute you TZ

Pitch

I have had a few of these for various reason, with the exception of the Orbi.

Most work well the one exception was the HUAWEI it was the only one we had real problems with. Constant complete crashes.

BT good solid performer and an easy choice. Does need the occasional reboot and check firmware reviews before upgrading, twice on upgrades lost the connection to the app. Maybe cause by the fact I always changed the Wi-fi name to something different. Also make sure all the default passwords are changed.

Tenda sold to Rod on here good system better distance coverage than BT but again prone to needing reboots especially after firmware upgrades.

Linksys Velop has been the choice there are a few versions, but is by far the most stable and whilst more expensive is almost bullet proof and has the most features. Copes with the bidirectional speed that require in the most expensive version. The cheaper one is very good, but the range is not so strong. No restarts after upgrades.

Orbi two friends have and love and rate it highly.

Mesh is better than extenders and you will really notice the difference, speed and reliability.

Sky Q are a mesh in them selves but often clash with the Wi-fi and changing the channel so they use different frequencies is important for both to perform well in the same house. Also not sitting the mesh transmitters too close to the Sky Qs really helps.

I've got the Orbi 50 - it's rock solid and I never needed to do anything with it.

Based on this thread just bought a 3 pack BT wholehome on ebay

Orbi seems v expensive and other than parental restrictions I don't need bells and whistles, and wouldn't understand them anyway

S

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nothing to add other than I am considering medical help as I've just read that title at a glance as 'Welsh Milf Suggestions' 😐

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I put a 3 station tp link deco m5 system in about a month ago.

It’s proved very reliable and WiFi access is now superb. We have a long thin house with lots of brick so previous configuration was ropey.

I can even get good access on the road and right at the end of our garden.

Their app is very good as well we have kids and have set up profiles that restricts the time they can use on all their devices and you can set bedtime limits as well

Plus you can very easily create guest WiFi, again with limits.

Paid about £200 on amazon. Depending on the size of your house you might be ok with two units.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Another deco user here around 12-18 months now and we’ve been very pleased with it, Barn conversion with very thick walls and an odd shape was proving a bit of a nightmare even with Apple router scattered about the place.
    I’d happily buy the deco again it’s proved very reliable and simple to use WiFi throughout the house is now superb.
    Yet another Deco user with 3 units, installed about 2 months ago and really improved my coverage, easy to use app. Using it as a router connected to my Virgin Superhub in modem mode.
    Last edited by wjkerfoot; 17th December 2018 at 21:31.