closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An unexpected emotional watch reunion

An unexpected emotional watch reunion

I’ve had one of my / the nicest incoming watch moments and thought I would share it here.

I have had in my possession a 1927 Benson Half Hunter for approximately 20 years now, for me it is a really special piece. It belonged to my Grandad and as a young boy it was promised to me as an heirloom, it used to fascinate me when he wore it, unlike anything else I had seen, nobody else wore them and to me it seemed something very special.

When I got married at the age of 27 he was quite ill but managed to make the wedding and wore the watch that day and he and my Nan joined us for our first dance, unfortunately he passed away 6 months later and never got to see my son who was born 5 months after he died, we did however name my son after him. I lived with my grandparents between the ages of 16 - 23 and he was a huge influence on me, he served in the Navy during the war and worked at the same firm for 37 years after that, he marched in the Lord Mayors show and at the Cenotaph as an older gentleman, he had 4 daughters and joked that even the dogs they had were female, so as his first fellow male in the house we became even closer when I lived with him.

I was honoured to have inherited his watch but the watch was looking sorry for itself with dents to the case and it didn’t run well. I had enquired about repairs in the past but nobody really seemed up to the job. I was 28 when he passed away and I am 48 now, so it had been a long time coming

Step up Mr Brendan Hoey...

Brendan took this watch from me, had the case repaired, had the hinge pin that had been put in the wrong way round corrected, fettled the movement and had this beauty looking lovely again and running like a dream.

I do love an incoming, as my watch box will testify... but this is a connection on another level, I expected to be pleased but it really came on top when I got into it. Yes it’s only a watch, not so special or expensive but to me it’s priceless.

Thanks Brendan... this will pass down to my son and I hope it will mean just as much to him when his old man is no more.

I’m sure there are loads of similar watch stories here... that’s mine, apologies for the ramble!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely looking watch.

Nice story behind it too!
    Enjoy it for a good few years yet!

Craftsman
    Valleywatch took the words out of my mouth. Nice to read these kind of stories from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely story and an amazing restoration.

Thank you for sharing, lovely watch and a splendid heirloom.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    It's a super watch in excellent condition, a nice piece to own regardless of the sentimental value. Obviously, the fact that it belonged to your grandad take the ownership to another level completely.

Enjoy!

Master
    That's a beautiful heirloom and a beautiful watch.

My brother has my grandfather's gold Benson (wristwatch) which was passed to my father before being passed to my brother - alas we never knew our grandfather.

Thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Great story and thank you for sharing. Was the watch put away for nearly 20 years then?

Beautiful timepiece and story. May it stay with you for years to come

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Great story and thank you for sharing. Was the watch put away for nearly 20 years then?
    Pretty much yes... but I did actually wear it on the odd occasion, even though it didn’t work! Mostly been sat in the safe though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Objects that have that human touch become so much more alive, as they keep with them such fond and loving memories, which makes them so important to pass on.

Particularly touching story for me as I possess the same watch owned by my great grandfather. Now I know where to send her for some much needed tlc.

Thank you for your story.

Beautiful watch and priceless for what it means to you.

Nice job by Brendan as well.

Beautiful story.
    That is what having a watch and passing it down to the next generation is all about.
    The watch looks in a stunning condition.

Journeyman
    Lovely looking watch and a charming story. Thank you for sharing both.
    Would you be in a position to wear it often? I think, if I owned something as gorgeous and meaning filled as this, I would wear a three piece suit regularly. Of course, it all depends on circumstances and what is appropriate for your normal daily life.

Craftsman
    A beautiful timepiece that’s made all the more special due to it’s personal significance. May you enjoy it for years to come.

Craftsman
    What a delightful, and heart-warming way to start the day.

It is obvious that the watch meant a great deal to you, even without restoration, but looking at it now, having received Brendan’s touch, takes it to another level.

I hope you can find occasion to proudly wear the watch from time to time, but if not, you can just get it out and look at it, rekindling happy memories.

A closing thought for you - now the watch looks stunning again, have you considered acquiring a domed glass (or otherwise!) display case to allow you to display it somewhere prominent?

That way you can enjoy looking at it all the time, occasionally removing to handle, and wind up?

I’m sure there were some suggestion of examples here a while back.

Enjoy the memories this will invoke, and well done to Brendan for a delightful job.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely. Just lovely.

Thanks for for making the day that little brighter.

Thanks all... it’s funny but up until a few months ago I could easily have worn the watch almost daily if I wanted to as I mostly wore a suit in my then role at work. I spent years climbing the corporate ladder, only to realise that I wanted something more or ‘different’... so I quit this summer and set up my own business, so I now do my own ‘spanner work’ so to speak, so it will now be worn on high days and holidays.

Master
    Wow fantastic story!

Can you elaborate further on the engraving? If I read correctly it says ‘to H.M. The Queen’ ?

Master
    what a fantastic looking timepiece - just the title 'Half-hunter' is to me evocative. It has to go on a nice fob/chain now

Grand Master
    If you search google for ‘pocket watch display dome’ there are several suppliers. Basically its a stand with a glass dome and hook to display a pocket watch, thus allowing it to be used as a clock.

This would be an ideal way to keep the watch in use and in view, it would look nice on a desk.

I will definitely look for a display dome, I have a couple of watch chains / fobs but always use the one my mum gave me, on reflection this is such an emotive watch as she is no longer with us either!

Master
    Lovely story and beautiful watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I will definitely look for a display dome, I have a couple of watch chains / fobs but always use the one my mum gave me, on reflection this is such an emotive watch as she is no longer with us either!

I think if it was mine I’d have it in a display dome, I really can’t see myself using a pocket watch on a chain and I’d be worried about losing it. One point to consider is the loud ‘tick’ from a pocket watch, I’ve just had a cheap Ingersoll pin-pallet on my bench and it was very noticable, not sure I’d want a loud ticking watch on a desk, but I’m sure this will be quieter and the glass done should damp the sound a little, well worth a try in my view. It also means the watch would serve its primary function, a quick glance when you want to know the time, so you’d be getting some genuine use out of it.

My grandad’s gold pocket watch ended up elsewhere in the family with one of my cousins........I could give it a far better home but that isn’t going to happen.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing OP - that watch is indeed a beauty. It's always wonderful to hear the history from other forum members on their collection, and this was a particularly lovely story. Congratulations on rediscovering something so special.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The Late Queen .......? It is a lovely item .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

An unexpected emotional watch reunion

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    The Late Queen .......? It is a lovely item .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think it is a Royal Warrant. Benson were watchmakers to Her Majesty the Late Queen (Victoria).
    Last edited by alfat33; 13th December 2018 at 15:20.

Master
    That is a lovely watch and a heart warming story behind it.

It's meaning to you transcends any monetary figure which is great.

I would love to own such a watch with that amount of sentimental value.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Very touching story with a genuine heirloom that can be passed down the generations.

Another great restoration by Webwatchmaker.

Enjoy and get that dome to show it off.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Thank you for your post Craizeehair.
    Much appreciated and it's always a great pleasure to restore watches with family connections.
    On a lighter note, I had a Benson wristwatch with a Longines movement which was signed 'By appointment to Her Majesty the late Queen Victoria'.
    My Japanese customer asked 'Why was she late ? Did the watch not keep good time ?'.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    That is a great story, with a happy ending. Thank you for posting.

I inherited my grandfather's watch, a wristwatch, and think of him fondly every time I wear it.

Enjoy owning and using your very fine Benson Half Hunter!

Craftsman
    What a fantastic restoration job and a lovely story to go with it 👍🏻

You are fortunate to have a lovely heirloom that happens to be a cracking design too.
    Gray