closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 126231 - anyone got a 36mm, DJ, jubilee?

Banned
    Blog Entries

126231 - anyone got a 36mm, DJ, jubilee?

In SS and Everose. If so, what are your thoughts? U.K. AD discounts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    In SS and Everose. If so, what are your thoughts? U.K. AD discounts?
    I’m very pleased with mine... paid list but the dealer had previously got me a a Sub Nd, a Pepsi, a BLNR and 43mmSD, so I didn’t even ask for a discount. I did however buy before the price rise..

Last edited by Enoch; 12th December 2018 at 20:55.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Enoch, great. That is the baby.👍
    How does the 36mm wear? A bit smaller than I am used to - blue dial SS Sky D and BP FF - but the alternative, at 41mm, with a medium width bezel, seems too large to me.

Master
    I’ve got a 7.25” wrist and I think it wears great... I tried the 41mm but it didn’t seem right somehow...

Don’t be mislead by the 36mm it seems bigger..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, the visual comparison with the Daytona helps v much.

Master
    Those pics look great and the size just right.
    I always think the gold only looks decent when someone has a bit of a tan on their arm though(like the picture), so might look a bit crap in the winter months.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Those pics look great and the size just right.
    I always think the gold only looks decent when someone has a bit of a tan on their arm though(like the picture), so might look a bit crap in the winter months.
    Fortunately, I spend less than three months a year here, and finding sunny climes is no problem!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’m very pleased with mine... paid list but the dealer had previously got me a a Sub Nd, a Pepsi, a BLNR and 43mmSD, so I didn’t even ask for a discount. I did however buy before the price rise..

That really is a lovely looking watch. A classic

I will probably "treat myself" to a datejust , when I retire in about 18 months time.

My wrist isnt big, its 18cm.........I prefer watches 40mm or bigger........I keep reading though, that the 36 mm datejust "wears" bigger.........judging by Enochs photos.....this looks very true.

I think I really need to try on a 36 mm and also a newer 41 mm. datejust , before I commit to buying.!

Master
    Just to note, when I took the pic next to the Daytona, I was very careful to ensure they were absolutely side by side and that I held the camera straight on... it’s very easy to distort the picture and miss represent the size by being slightly at an angle...

Collection day

I would have preferred the hidden clasp, but the new jubilee bracelet uses the oyster clasp, but it does have the advantage of the easy link

Grand Master
    I’m biased towards smaller watches because I’ve got small 6.75” wrists that are very square, I’m not happy with big watches, but I genuinely think the Datejust and Oyster models look better in the 36mm size.

As a long-standing bimetal fan I’m impressed by Enochs latest aquisition, it’s v. nice, but personally I prefer yellow gold. I briefly owned a bimetal rose gold/steel Omega Aqua Terra in the past and never bonded with it. I wear a yellow gold ring on each hand and the rose gold clashed a bit, I don’t find this a problem with with steel watches or even with a rose gold watch on a black strap, but I was never hapy with the bimetal rose gold. For anyone who wears a white gold or platinum ring (or no rings) the rose gold bimetal will work nicely.

I’ve never been convinced by the skin tone/yellow gold comments, I don’t think it makes any difference.

As for the latest incarnation of the Datejust, I think the new clasp is a plus, because it gives better adjustment and that has to be a good thing. One thing I’d like to see is the cornet logo being recessed, as with the Oyster models, because its far more resistant to wear and its easier to refinish.

I don’t see myself shelling out big money to buy the latest Datejust, but I can definitely see the appeal. I’ll stick with my near-mint 1986 model in yellow gold, a genuine time-warp watch that’s like new, that ticks my ‘bimetal Datejust’ box, but the latest model is definitely a step forward and a very appealing watch.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th December 2018 at 00:11.

36mm is the right size for the Datejust.

Pure class.

Master
    I will confess to a slight bias having just purchased an older Datejust, but after many years of wearing 40mm + watches, about 6 months back I picked up an old JLC WWW from a charity shop which has spent quite a lot of time on the wrist since then.
    So much so, that upon strapping back on my usual daily wearer ceramic GMT, the size of the thing seemed quite bloated, and almost too lumpy on the wrist in some way.
    Bring in the recent purchase - and the smaller case size and for that matter profile, seems to be just where I’m at at the moment. It may all change in the future, but for now 36mm seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have a SS and Everose but do have an early 80's classic SS and yellow gold. It doesn't get very much wrist time, if any at all due to a very worn bracelet but I find it the perfect size at 36mm. In fact since getting my 36mm Royal Oak I find anything bigger too big, even to the point where my Aquanaut is playing second fiddle to the AP!

I think the Everose/ rose gold is very fashionable at the moment but do like it's hue and lustre and combined with SS it's a winning combination.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    36mm is the right size for the Datejust.

Pure class.
    It really is. I tried a 41mm on a few months ago and it was comedy big such that my girlfriend said it looked 'rediculous'. I have 7.25 inch wrists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It really is. I tried a 41mm on a few months ago and it was comedy big such that my girlfriend said it looked 'rediculous'. I have 7.25 inch wrists.
    I’m so glad that I actually went and sat down at the dealers and tried both sizes.

On my way there I was convinced I’d end up buying the 41, but on trying them it was immediately obvious that it would be a mistake for me, and I also have a 7.25” wrist.

Another thing to note, not that it makes much difference in the real world but it might matter to some, just in case anyone isn’t aware. The new 36mm TT Datejust uses the new 3235 movement, whereas the steel is still using the older 3135.
    I suspect it won’t be long before all DJ’s will get the newer movement.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for the contributions, in particular those from Enoch as an owner. An AD has got one in for me to view in a week’s time, although I think my decision has already been made!

Master
    Many thanks for the contributions, in particular those from Enoch as an owner. An AD has got one in for me to view in a week’s time, although I think my decision has already been made!
    Which combo?? There are many to choose from👍

Grand Master
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the lugs are a bit slimmer on the new model, almost a return to the old-style Oyster case that I prefer. Can’t say the idea of a new movement with longer power reserve and marginally better precision (potentially) would attract me, but the aesthetic improvements might. Seems logical and obvious that the rest of the range will be updated along the same lines in the near future.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Which combo?? There are many to choose from👍
    The exact same as your beauty!

Master
    The exact same as your beauty!
    Obviously a man of great taste👍🤪😈

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Obviously a man of great taste浪
    The Everose/SS blend looks superb, and with the rhodium dial, what a great combo.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Collection tomorrow.

Master

126231 - anyone got a 36mm, DJ, jubilee?

Happy Christmas to you! I’m in the market for a DJ come April (I hope!), and having tried both 36 & 41 on recently whilst awaiting a flight at Heathrow, I came to the same conclusions as above. For me at least, the 41’s just too shouty. 36 is a classic.

Last edited by S Works; 23rd December 2018 at 12:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Happy Christmas to you! I’m in the market for a DJ come April (I hope!), and having tried both 36 & 41 on recently whilst awaiting a flight at Heathrow, I came to the same conclusions as above. For me at least, the 41’s just too shouty. 36 is a classic.

Looks great mate, especially in Blue. In my opinion the flat bezelled version is so versatile it could be your only watch. I have 36mm DJ and compared to my Ceramic Sub it is dainty but still wears fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Looks great mate, especially in Blue. In my opinion the flat bezelled version is so versatile it could be your only watch. I have 36mm DJ and compared to my Ceramic Sub it is dainty but still wears fine.

Since that was taken (end Sept) I’ve wavered between the two bezel types, Jubilee or Oyster, DJ or OP, Exp1, blue dial, white dial, rhodium dial... gaah. Middle class problems!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Since that was taken (end Sept) I’ve wavered between the two bezel types, Jubilee or Oyster, DJ or OP, Exp1, blue dial, white dial, rhodium dial... gaah. Middle class problems!
    I don’t think there is a wrong choice...

My approach was to look at what I’d already got in my collection and try to add a bit of variety.

Most of my watches have an Oyster bracelet so I chose the Jubilee, all of my watches are steel so I chose two tone, most have a black or white dial so I chose grey and all are 40mm or above so I went for the 36mm.

Try not to match what you already own, it might just work for you..👍

Master
    Agree completely.