closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Oh well, lets see what happens!
    But 40gbp and 50usd isnt a very big difference is it?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLeo View Post
    But 40gbp and 50usd isnt a very big difference is it?

Perhaps not, but the £39.99 and £69.99 that I saw are a little apart. Also, despite the claim that the cheaper one was out of stock I was able to put it in the basket and proceed to the payment page.
    F.T.F.A.

I really really like the watch and I think the proportions are pretty perfect.... but the bracelet just had to go, to wide and the clasp to tall for the slim and small watch. Put it on a racing leather and it looks pretty good but since I am a bracelet guy I emailed Eddie to ask about the new 20-16 bracelet and it will be available as a separate purchase option for the black dialed version :) Just hope that it will be reasonable price or maybe an exchange option for the old bracelet. The 20-18 bracelet must be more expensive to make than the 20-16 bracelet.

Great news FreakyLeo ! So the 20->16 bracelet will be available for separate purchase (or directly as option) for the black dial Everest !!

Did Eddie write you when this rivet 20 ->16 oyster bracelt will be available ? Any hint or previw of its new clasp ? I hope it will be like the Meraud one or, better, like the Baltic one.

Last edited by Engi; 27th December 2018 at 21:01.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFixer View Post
    I doubt the date wheel will be fitted but all the rest will, listen for the click of the change over.
    Mine changes over at 8.20.

And yes the first setting is still there but not needed.

I doubt this is an issue as no one will be trying to advance the date just the time.
    Thank you for the reply, Fixer.

I guess you are right about adjustingh time and not date probably might not be a problem, but I'd still avoid turning the time backwards, in case the movement doesn't like moving over a date change backwards.

Apprentice
    A general observation about all the posts about the hand length, bracelet width and tapering, clasp size etc:

Aren't we a picky bunch!

I gladly admit that I do find myself agreeing with some of what is said, but apparently we really aren't easily pleased...

As the 36mm Everest is, I'd like to thank Eddie for making this beautiful watch available, even if enthusiasts like us might disagree on some details of the execution. I for one am not remotely wealthy enough that I would feel comfortable wearing an original 1016 Explorer around town or at work, even if I in theory eventually might be able to afford one by making enough financial sacrifices elsewhere.

Would we really be more comfortable with a perfect 1016 Explorer copy marked "Smiths", or is it nicer to have something inspired by, but still a bit different?

Regards,
    Operabuff

I emailed Eddie to ask about the new 20-16 bracelet and it will be available as a separate purchase option for the black dialed version :)

This is very good news

Quote Originally Posted by Operabuff View Post
    A general observation about all the posts about the hand length, bracelet width and tapering, clasp size etc:

Aren't we a picky bunch!

I gladly admit that I do find myself agreeing with some of what is said, but apparently we really aren't easily pleased...

As the 36mm Everest is, I'd like to thank Eddie for making this beautiful watch available, even if enthusiasts like us might disagree on some details of the execution. I for one am not remotely wealthy enough that I would feel comfortable wearing an original 1016 Explorer around town or at work, even if I in theory eventually might be able to afford one by making enough financial sacrifices elsewhere.

Would we really be more comfortable with a perfect 1016 Explorer copy marked "Smiths", or is it nicer to have something inspired by, but still a bit different?

Regards,
    Operabuff
    A camel is a horse designed by a committee

I for one am not bothered by Rolex this, Rolex that, let's recreate an iconic design.

I just like nice watches. I'm not saddled by the history

prs18 is one of my all time favorite tf watches. I'm aware it's a direct homage. Doesn't swing things either way for me.

The 36mm everest is one of Eddie's best to date in my opinion. These watches are bought about through some sort of symbiosis between the man himself and forum input. I find all that process interesting, and it's nice to watch and observe and take part in, but it's the products that have to speak for themselves at the end of the day
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Anyone got a side by side pic of a 36mm prs -25 and a ZEX.? I’ve got a newer version Zeno with the AS movement which I like , but drawn to the Smiths. Tanatalisingly , I remember seeing a brief post before Christmas where someone had spent a lot of time putting a review together of these 2 , then he lost it somewhere on upload !

Quote Originally Posted by Operabuff View Post

Aren't we a picky bunch!

Regards,
    Operabuff
    This is why the original Everest was sized/styled as it was. Hold one next to the 36mm and they have quite a different look and feel. I thought I might prefer one over the other and sell one, but I think I'll keep both now.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    It's all been a bit negative on the clasp in the thread so far, but after nearly a week on the wrist it has proven to be a delight to use, very smooth and solid in the opening and closing action, and in the extension adjustment.

Still totally smitten with this watch ... nothing else has had a look in since it arrived :)

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Congratulations again to Eddie, who's done a fantastic job with this watch, but I do think the above picture shows how the hands could so easily have been better. The elongated minute hand actually works OK, I think, as the metal tip is often barely noticeable so the length appears shorter than it really is. Having chosen a longer minute hand though, it was crying out to keep the hour hand proportionate and, as minimum should have been 8, rather than 7, mm. I think 9mm might even have worked better yet. The bigger (relative, I should stress!) letdown is the second hand - on the Explorer, the position of the lollipop as well as the far more elegant and better proportioned counterbalanace just work so perfectly. Frustrating, as presumably the easier option would simply have been to copy the original.
    I do agree with your design points, but wouldn't that make it effectively a replica under a different brand? I don't have a problem with that given that the original is unattainable at anything close to this price and not available new any more, but a lot of people wouldn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This is why the original Everest was sized/styled as it was. Hold one next to the 36mm and they have quite a different look and feel. I thought I might prefer one over the other and sell one, but I think I'll keep both now.
    I have both the 36 and the 40 mark II. I can’t decide to sell one. I had meant to. They’re totally different but equally desirable. Does this dilemma make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I have both the 36 and the 40 mark II. I can’t decide to sell one. I had meant to. They’re totally different but equally desirable. Does this dilemma make sense?

It makes perfect sense, keep both. Your dilemma then becomes a rational decision.
    F.T.F.A.

What's the problem? Horological bigamy is not only condoned on tz, it is encouraged.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I do think the above picture shows how the hands could so easily have been better. The elongated minute hand actually works OK, I think, as the metal tip is often barely noticeable so the length appears shorter than it really is. Having chosen a longer minute hand though, it was crying out to keep the hour hand proportionate and, as minimum should have been 8, rather than 7, mm. I think 9mm might even have worked better yet. The bigger (relative, I should stress!) letdown is the second hand - on the Explorer, the position of the lollipop as well as the far more elegant and better proportioned counterbalanace just work so perfectly. Frustrating, as presumably the easier option would simply have been to copy the original.
    i discovered this thread only recently, marveled at the near-1016 i was seeing, but registered to say the same (though i would have been far less eloquent).

i'm torn: if i knew there was another 36mm gen coming w/ more "standard" hand lengths and the tapered bracelet, i'd be all over it. as it is, i'm unsure.

either way, i'm really pleased to see such a good-looking watch available at such a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by zimv20ca View Post
    i'm torn: if i knew there was another 36mm gen coming w/ more "standard" hand lengths and the tapered bracelet, i'd be all over it. as it is, i'm unsure.

either way, i'm really pleased to see such a good-looking watch available at such a reasonable price.
    I’m glad it has its own unique handset lengths. I hate clones, which tell the world that I can’t or won’t buy the original.

PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

The only thing I dislike about the new 36mm Everest is:

Simply the amount of money I’ve wasted on other watches before buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i discovered this thread only recently, marveled at the near-1016 i was seeing, but registered to say the same (though i would have been far less eloquent).

What's a gen?
    F.T.F.A.

What's a gen?
    Talking bout my...

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Talking bout my...

Sub...stitute ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I do agree with your design points, but wouldn't that make it effectively a replica under a different brand? I don't have a problem with that given that the original is unattainable at anything close to this price and not available new any more, but a lot of people wouldn't like that.
    You're right, in this case, it would. That said, my preference here wasn't to replicate the original simply for the sake of doing so; it's just that, where the Smiths has deviated, imo the result is worse. I'd have been happy to see tweaks that improved on the original.

As for being too close a copy, I'm at one end of the spectrum in that, as long as it's legal (i.e. no false branding), all's fair as far as I'm concerned. Many disagree with me, I know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    The only thing I dislike about the new 36mm Everest is:

Simply the amount of money I’ve wasted on other watches before buying it.

Been having similar thoughts

Craftsman
    Out at the driving range with my boy today - he is likely to get this lovely thing when he's old enough to appreciate it (and I can bear to let it go)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psediqmw7h.jpg

Now I've been wearing it about a week, I can say the bracelet is comfortable for the clasp is pretty big. I can live with it happily, but going to switch to a Nato and try that out in the next few weeks. The clasp functionality is excellent - I've loosened and tightened with relative frequency whilst doing various activities. The only issue is the link feeding into the non-extendable end of the clasp seems to get stuck at an angle fairly regularly - probably because I have taken out so many links and it is now rather small. This does help with overall comfort/bulk.

The hands for me are absolutely awesome and the lume is brilliantly done. I am enjoying the this watch a lot!

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    The only issue is the link feeding into the non-extendable end of the clasp seems to get stuck at an angle fairly regularly - probably because I have taken out so many links and it is now rather small.
    I've had the exact same experience. After the first day though, I just decided to leave it "popped out" and find it perfectly comfortable that way even if it's "wrong".

Apprentice
    What's a gen?
    sorry, "generation." i.e. if there's another generation of 36mm PRS-25's.

i enjoyed both The Who references, to be sure.

Craftsman
    Can someone please tell me what the 'trick' with the crown is - I can't reliably get the threads to engage and screw down (I'm left handed but have tried it right handed with no improvement).

For reference my wife has a similar size Rolex 79173 and I can easily manage the crown on that.

Looks like I'll have to move it on before I mangle the threads completely, so frustrating.

Apprentice
    I’m glad it has its own unique handset lengths. I hate clones, which tell the world that I can’t or won’t buy the original.
    i wouldn't mind having some variation in the hands vs the 1016 *if* i thought they worked ok with the dial. here, 2 of them look kind of "lanky", while one looks "stubby". imho, they don't all work together.

but it's easily fixable, or so it would seem to me.

if i may...

i was examining the hands on my 16570. admittedly, not the same as a 1016, but i found it informative to see the relationship between the seconds hand and hour hand. when the seconds hand passes over the hour hand, the lollipop neatly obscures its pointer. when the seconds hand is 30 seconds opposite the hour hand, the small circle on the "butt" of the seconds hand lands neatly in the center of the mercedes logo.

this tells me that the 16570 designers designed the hands and their lengths as a *set*, whereas those on the PRS-25 feel like they were done individually.

so i'd conclude by suggesting Eddie do something similar, treat them as a set. i reckon the end result would be what i'm looking for:
    - shorter minute hand
    - longer hour hand
    - the seconds hand lollipop moved away from edge

i attempted some photos; apologies for the parallax not fully illustrating what i'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

but it's easily fixable, or so it would seem to me.
    Recall all the watches and with the unsold stock send them all back to the manufacturer to have them rebuilt to your specs? How much is that going to cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post
    Can someone please tell me what the 'trick' with the crown is - I can't reliably get the threads to engage and screw down (I'm left handed but have tried it right handed with no improvement).

For reference my wife has a similar size Rolex 79173 and I can easily manage the crown on that.

Looks like I'll have to move it on before I mangle the threads completely, so frustrating.
    Unless it’s faulty I don’t think there’s a trick.
    It's on a spring - push it in a couple of millimetres and turn it clockwise whilst holding it “in”. (I expect that’s what you’re doing.)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Recall all the watches and with the unsold stock send them all back to the manufacturer to have them rebuilt to your specs? How much is that going to cost you?
    i meant in the next offering, certainly not halting sales of what's in hand.

i recall reading either earlier in this thread or another here, that Eddie had asked the manufacturer to make the seconds hand so the lollipop just touched the hour markers. from the photos, i can see that the lollipop goes over the markers by a fair amount, and does *not* do what Eddie instructed.

i'll be the first to admit that i know very little about manufacturing. regardless, this implied to me that there exists a certain amount of casualness in the ordering process that further implied a somewhat low barrier for future spec changes.

i'm happy to hear from Eddie if i'm off the mark here, or if nothing is as straightforward as i'm making it seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Far, far easier to just buy a 1016 and have a dial and handset made to ones exact specification and have them fitted.
    F.T.F.A.

i meant in the next offering, certainly not halting sales of what's in hand.

i recall reading either earlier in this thread or another here, that Eddie had asked the manufacturer to make the seconds hand so the lollipop just touched the hour markers. from the photos, i can see that the lollipop goes over the markers by a fair amount, and does *not* do what Eddie instructed.

i'll be the first to admit that i know very little about manufacturing. regardless, this implied to me that there exists a certain amount of casualness in the ordering process that further implied a somewhat low barrier for future spec changes.

i'm happy to hear from Eddie if i'm off the mark here, or if nothing is as straightforward as i'm making it seem.
    You could always buy a zex?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    You could always buy a zex?
    thank you, i didn't know that existed. i like the dial better on the Smith, but i'll go read up and consider it. thanks again.

Nothing wrong with the handset in my eyes.

It is what it is, if you don’t like it, simply don’t buy it and move on... And stop whining and whinging.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Nothing wrong with the handset in my eyes.

It is what it is, if you don’t like it, simply don’t buy it and move on... And stop whining and whinging.

Exactly!

The handset looks fine to me too - prior to release I foolishly became a little anxious about the second hand for a few minutes but then pulled myself back together and got everything back into perspective.

Is it perfect? Well no, but then what is.

I'm wearing it right now and don't even mind the massive clasp any longer.

Its the best TF watch to date in my opinion.

Journeyman

Nice to see such great suggestions

Hi

I'm new to this forum and to timefactor watches. I think that it's great to see that Eddie listens to suggestions from his customers, you suggested a 36 mm version and he made one. I think that the suggestions being made about the hands and the buckle are absolutely right, and I hope that Eddie will once again listen and keep making new versions off the watch. I also think that the suggestions about the hands have made me look more, at the hands of other watches, and notice if I like the way the hands fits the dial more.

/Mads Gorm

Master
    Here’s a new wrinkle on the ever-controversial clasp.

Background: I was on the wrong side of the Atlantic when the PRS-25 36mm was released. I’d asked my (nominally) grown-up son to buy one for me, which he bravely (getting out of bed at 7.15 a.m.!) tried to do. But his bank suddenly insisted on all sorts of security checks, and by the time the code came through the shop was closed. So when andy100 put one up for sale yesterday, I grabbed it. Andy—always a hero—kindly put it in the post right away, and it arrived today.

The issue: with four links out, the bracelet was slightly too loose. So I tightened it using the conventional micro-adjustment method--moving the clasp-side end-link (coming into the clasp below the Smiths logo) one hole in, so the end-link sits in the centre hole. But there's no way to get it there without the end-link then sitting at a bit of an angle, and the clasp--though it closes with a click--doesn't hold, popping open.

Do you all think this is a defective bracelet, or a design flaw? Has anyone else noticed this?

I suspect it is in fact a design flaw and thus would be this way had I managed to order one a few weeks ago. And I would have kept it anyway. It's now sitting happily on a Staib mesh, and I'll pick up the new, tapered bracelet when it's available. But I’d be interested in your perspectives.

Having contributed at least once to the clasp discussion I ought to probably shut up. And I won't be so rude as to speak for the boss.

BUT why do we need to constantly compare the minute details of this lovely little homage to the 'perfection' of Rolex.

If you want a perfect 1016 clone then you are at the wrong place!

There is already an indication that a different bracelet will be available to buy separately. BUT those of us that bought the 36mm already new the measurements and saw the clasp. We made a choice to buy presumably because we could see the beauty in the watch and that it wears well on so many different bands and straps.

Soap box moment over... I should just move on and not visit this thread. Which is a shame as love to hear people enjoying the watch and showing off the latest photos.

Now that's a post I 'like'
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Out at the driving range with my boy today - he is likely to get this lovely thing when he's old enough to appreciate it (and I can bear to let it go)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psediqmw7h.jpg

Now I've been wearing it about a week, I can say the bracelet is comfortable for the clasp is pretty big. I can live with it happily, but going to switch to a Nato and try that out in the next few weeks. The clasp functionality is excellent - I've loosened and tightened with relative frequency whilst doing various activities. The only issue is the link feeding into the non-extendable end of the clasp seems to get stuck at an angle fairly regularly - probably because I have taken out so many links and it is now rather small. This does help with overall comfort/bulk.

The hands for me are absolutely awesome and the lume is brilliantly done. I am enjoying the this watch a lot!

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond View Post
    Here’s a new wrinkle on the ever-controversial clasp.

Background: I was on the wrong side of the Atlantic when the PRS-25 36mm was released. I’d asked my (nominally) grown-up son to buy one for me, which he bravely (getting out of bed at 7.15 a.m.!) tried to do. But his bank suddenly insisted on all sorts of security checks, and by the time the code came through the shop was closed. So when andy100 put one up for sale yesterday, I grabbed it. Andy—always a hero—kindly put it in the post right away, and it arrived today.

The issue: with four links out, the bracelet was slightly too loose. So I tightened it using the conventional micro-adjustment method--moving the clasp-side end-link (coming into the clasp below the Smiths logo) one hole in, so the end-link sits in the centre hole. But there's no way to get it there without the end-link then sitting at a bit of an angle, and the clasp--though it closes with a click--doesn't hold, popping open.

Do you all think this is a defective bracelet, or a design flaw? Has anyone else noticed this?

I suspect it is in fact a design flaw and thus would be this way had I managed to order one a few weeks ago. And I would have kept it anyway. It's now sitting happily on a Staib mesh, and I'll pick up the new, tapered bracelet when it's available. But I’d be interested in your perspectives.
    The clasp is an off-the-shelf clasp, not bespoke to any particular bracelet. I have it on a BOR bracelet (prototype PRS-45) and it's fine so I had no hesitation specifying it for the PRS-36. Future versions of the clasp will not have the micro-adjustment holes so the problem won't exist. Just ignore the micro-adjustment holes and you'll be fine.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I am enjoying owning and wearing it far more that the Explorer 14270 that I owned and also a load of other pieces that were personal grails to me such as the Speedmaster Pro.

I love it!

The handset looks fine to me too - prior to release I foolishly became a little anxious about the second hand for a few minutes but then pulled myself back together and got everything back into perspective.

Even better than the new 29a?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Even better than the new 29a?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just

To me:

Buying and wearing the Everest 36 is remarkably similar to me buying and consuming my favourite comfort food.

It really does gives me that overwhelming feeling of satisfaction.

The empty slot awaits the white dial version

Last edited by Velorum; 29th December 2018 at 17:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post
    This has been the only thing that’s bothered me a little - when I screw the crown down, it feels like I still have the resistance of winding the watch which makes tightening the last bit harder.

I’ve only two other screw down crowns and they don’t do this (ie only resistance is from the thread tightening when pushed in), but assume it is just down to the movement and nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    This has been the only thing that’s bothered me a little - when I screw the crown down, it feels like I still have the resistance of winding the watch which makes tightening the last bit harder.

I’ve only two other screw down crowns and they don’t do this (ie only resistance is from the thread tightening when pushed in), but assume it is just down to the movement and nothing to worry about.
    Agreed. I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same on this, and there's nothing to worry about.

Nowt wrong with the hands. I have 4 of Eddie's creations, all different, even the two Everests have a different feel and character when compared side by side, and I wouldn't label any as best.

F.T.F.A.

Excellent picture magirus, you can really see the refinement of the 36 Everest against it's chunkier sibling.