closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

The correct English term would be 'thread' rather than 'tap' but anyway your explanation is in any case very clear!

Thanks you all.

Just tried the 19mm CWC 'Falklands' strap on... very comfortable, looks ok, but probably will go back on the bracelet

Photo from Moto G6+

Received this in from mrwozza70 today. Arrived in perfect shape in under a week to me in the US. Threw it on my Steinhart GMT 39 bracelet using the original TF endlinks as another member here indicated would work. It tapers to 16 and I like it. Very pleased. Have the new TF clasp on my SBIII but prefer this on the Everest. Tally Ho Rabbit Leader!
    36mm is a good size for this.

Last edited by parsig9; 9th February 2019 at 02:19.

Tally Ho Rabbit Leader to you too mate!

(I have no idea what you're on about, but I like the cut of your jib.)

:-)

Superb job with the bracelet; I think you've got that sorted.

Craftsman
    My PRS25 36mm arrived yesterday . It's awesome . Sized the bracelet and wearing now . One comment . The tiny micro adjustments on the clasp at the end (3 little pin holes) are difficult to used because the end link seems too thick . Has anyone else managed to use micro links . I wish I could use those and not need to use the ratchet system in the clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by parsig9 View Post
    Received this in from mrwozza70 today. Arrived in perfect shape in under a week to me in the US. Threw it on my Steinhart GMT 39 bracelet using the original TF endlinks as another member here indicated would work.
    Looks good. Available from Steinhart for €55. It's on the list, pending Eddies version being released.
    Last edited by magirus; 10th February 2019 at 09:42.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Faide View Post
    My PRS25 36mm arrived yesterday . It's awesome . Sized the bracelet and wearing now . One comment . The tiny micro adjustments on the clasp at the end (3 little pin holes) are difficult to used because the end link seems too thick . Has anyone else managed to use micro links . I wish I could use those and not need to use the ratchet system in the clasp.

Tried but failed, but the clasp micro adjustment works well for me. I had to take 4 links out which leaves the clasp fully shut, as the wrist warms up/expands during the day 1 notch out is all the adjustment i need.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Faide View Post

Eddie said they aren't usable due to the clasp design. Or rather the end link design. In any case, it's somewhere in this enormous thread

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The clasp is an off-the-shelf clasp, not bespoke to any particular bracelet. I have it on a BOR bracelet (prototype PRS-45) and it's fine so I had no hesitation specifying it for the PRS-36. Future versions of the clasp will not have the micro-adjustment holes so the problem won't exist. Just ignore the micro-adjustment holes and you'll be fine.

Eddie
    This is what Eddie said about the micro adjustment holes on the clasp, at message #542.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Anybody own this and the Zeno Explorer? Wondered how they compared, apart from different hands. Believe they have same movement.

I have had the Zeno but not the Everest, for the moment.
    The Zeno is nice but the plastic crystal taking all the scratches annoying, WR not really enough to swim with in confidence and I had an issue with the crown. So...

I thought the current Zeno Explorer was fitted with a Swiss NOS movement which has been reported to be problematical?

I believe it used to have a Miyota movement, but I don't think it was a 90** series one as in the Everest.

If I'm right then, in answer to Ogdensnut's message (which I can't actually see in the thread above, otherwise I'd have replied to it) the Zeno has never had the same movement as the Everest.

The current version of the Zeno Explorer uses the AS5206 NOS movement. The first version had the Miyota 82** movement and later, it was also available with ETA2824, both versions available at the same time.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    This is what Eddie said about the micro adjustment holes on the clasp, at message #542.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Eddie said they aren't usable due to the clasp design. Or rather the end link design. In any case, it's somewhere in this enormous thread
    Thanks for the info!

The current version of the Zeno Explorer uses the AS5206 NOS movement. The first version had the Miyota 82** movement and later, it was also available with ETA2824, both versions available at the same time.

Eddie
    Mine was with the AS5206. Was happy to own a watch with a movement with the same name as mine. :-)
    And it was pretty accurate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Looks good. Available from Steinhart for €55. It's on the list, pending Eddies version being released.
    Steinhart doesnt include endlinks. Think one will still need a small piece to connect to the endlinks on Everest.

Most readily available bracelets have links shaped like 'Y', while Everest has more like inverted 'Y'.

Craftsman
    How many of the 36mm's have you sold now Eddie ?

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Steinhart doesnt include endlinks. Think one will still need a small piece to connect to the endlinks on Everest.

Most readily available bracelets have links shaped like 'Y', while Everest has more like inverted 'Y'.

If you read post #706 you'll see that parsig9 used the original endlinks on the Steinhart bracelet in order to fit it. I don't expect to be doing this as it's a rivetted 20>16mm bracelet I'd like, and I'm anticipating Eddie releasing one. I have a list of alternatives in case this doesn't happen.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Yes, in #706, the extra small piece to connect to Everest endlinks comes with the Steinhart watch, so he can swap it.
    On the other end, Steinhart seem to sell the bracelet without endlinks and the small square connecting piece, looking at their pictures.

I am waiting for the riveted bracelet from Eddie too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    How many of the 36mm's have you sold now Eddie ?

Yes Eddie, it could be interesting to know how many 36mm PRS-25 are left now, thanks.

Just over 150.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Just over 150.

Eddie
    Thanks

After wearing mine on various Natos for a couple of months I thought I'd give it a while on leather. It's now on an old Rios Juchten leather which was quite grimy and looking it's age, but functionally perfect and seemingly indestructible. A good scrub, dried out and treated with R.M.Williams leather conditioner . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Just over 150.

Eddie
    Excellent - well done !

I have been alternating between an unbranded oyster style bracelet from eBay (tapered - fits original solid end links perfectly) and a couple of vintage style suede leather straps from Finwatchstraps. The first I bought as part of a batch I ordered to fit various watches wasn't tapered and didn't feel quite right. The second tapers from 20mm to 16mm. These are made from 'Crazy Cow' weathered sued leather sourced from Charles Stead in the UK. Not cheap but beautifully soft and comfortable.

I like handmade / to order straps as I can specify my preferred lengths for each piece - in the case of the strap shown fitted below that's 110/85.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post

The endlinks from the Everest fit on the Steinhart 20-16 bracelet in 2 seocnds. No issue. Perfect fit.

PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

Quote Originally Posted by parsig9 View Post
    The endlinks from the Everest fit on the Steinhart 20-16 bracelet in 2 seocnds. No issue. Perfect fit.
    Did you already own the Steinhart watch or did you buy the bracelet from them separately?

Because this is what you get from Steinhart separately

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...talstraps.html

and this is what you get from Steinhart on the OVM 39

The small piece circled is removable with a screwbar (?) whereas the Smiths piece seems fixed... I can see no way to remove it. It’s a solid Y on the Smiths bracelet

I dislike the Steinhart connector piece because it is so squared off... does not look good on slim wrist ... but maybe it will work better on the smaller 36mm Smiths watch.

Below Smiths connector for comparison

Unfortunately Steinhart’s website only sells separate end links for their 22mm watches... assume those connector bits would be too large.
    Last edited by redhed18; 15th February 2019 at 02:41.

I owned it. It is off my GMT. This is weird. So they sell a different bracelet if you buy it afterwards?

I've had to make a conscious decision to put my 25/36mm back in the box as I've hardly worn anything else since it arrived!
    F.T.F.A.

Another happy customer.

Every once in a while I feel like writing more. It’s day 16 of ownership of the Smiths Everest 36mm. Currently -10 seconds... since setting the time at unboxing 😳... talk about getting lucky with an unregulated Miyota 9015! I’ve worn this watch at least some of everyday since I got it, whether all day, in the gym, or just once I get home for the evening. I’ve even worn it to bed twice, which I never do. And I didn’t have to make myself. I wanted to. For one, to keep it wound while I observed it’s accuracy over time, and two, it’s just that comfortable and handsome. Upon receiving, the size was a slight shock and adjustment (just because pictures always look larger) even though I have some vintage at 30mm. The bracelet and clasp were abnormally beefier than I was expecting, especially for a watch this size and style.. but now, I’m so glad, and wouldn’t want them any less so. It makes the whole thing feel as if no part of its circumference is heavier than another. Perfect balance with the watch head. The sharp edges of the new bracelet have already calmed down, and the signed, ratchet clasp makes me giddy every time I operate it. The smooth polished case and slippery domed sapphire crystal are a joy to run your hand over (and wipe with the bottom of your t-shirt) as it feels very “dehorned” (a gun talk term meaning less things to get snagged on). The simple but familiar dial is just perfection from lume strength to minimal text. The subtlety of glossy charcoal EVEREST is a touch that you appreciate when it catches the light just right in contrast to the matte black dial, then disappears just as quick. But you know it’s there 😏... the drilled lugs beg you to try every other strap you can think of, snap a pic, and get right back to that bracelet because it’s just THAT good. The signed, screw down crown is sturdy and perfectly proportioned for this sized case. This watch instantly felt like a top 3 favorite of all time in my own collection, completely regardless of price.. and at $460usd shipped, you feel like you just got away with something. You feel lucky to have it and start adventuring with it immediately, if not sooner. I personally choose to judge a watch on its own merits, as if I had no idea who else makes (or has made) what. How does it look and perform. How does it feel, like REALLY feel. On wrist all day, and when you take it off and hold it. It’s heft, it’s edges, it’s sexy curves. I’ve owned (and either kept or sold) enough to know EXACTLY what I like and don’t like about a watch. And I don’t like the SMITHS EVEREST... I love it.
    Eddie

Apprentice
    I've asked for a prototype of the rivet bracelet with more conventional clasp before proceeding. The pictures look good but pictures can lie. If it's acceptable, I'll go ahead with the white dial Everest (both versions) and order extra bracelets.

Eddie
    Will the buyers of the gen1 36mm Everest get a heads up email when the new bracelets arrive? I would really like to buy one :) Any idea of pricing on the bracelet? I think the new riveted 20-16 version with friction clasp looks spot on.

I liked the white dial version but not enough to buy it.... but the type-c version with white sector dial and syringe hands...... it is really pretty :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I have been alternating between an unbranded oyster style bracelet from eBay (tapered - fits original solid end links perfectly) and a couple of vintage style suede leather straps from Finwatchstraps. The first I bought as part of a batch I ordered to fit various watches wasn't tapered and didn't feel quite right. The second tapers from 20mm to 16mm. These are made from 'Crazy Cow' weathered sued leather sourced from Charles Stead in the UK. Not cheap but beautifully soft and comfortable.

I like handmade / to order straps as I can specify my preferred lengths for each piece - in the case of the strap shown fitted below that's 110/85.

Nice photos !!

Apprentice
    How’s the lume on this 36mm, does it last for quite some time?
    Really tempted as I love the Explorer 1016 style more than 14270.
    Have owned the Zex and felt too small, especially the dial.
    Have a Tiger 1016 but there’s barely any lume.

Hoping to put an order this Tuesday morning (midnight here from Canada)

PRS-25 Everest 36mm update

Quote Originally Posted by earldieta View Post
    How’s the lume on this 36mm, does it last for quite some time?...
    Yeah the lume is good, I blast mine with UV before heading off to sleep and it’s good for like 5-6-7 hours...

I’m gonna do that now! Zzzzzz.

Last edited by redhed18; 2nd March 2019 at 06:38.

I have an original Everest and also a 36mm version. I never "charge" the lume, and they are both perfectly readable if I wake during the night.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    thanks for the replies! Ive put an alarm to wake up at midnight on tuesday so that I can make an order!

thanks for the replies! Ive put an alarm to wake up at midnight on tuesday so that I can make an order!

Good luck!
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Sorry for my ignorance. I have been following closely but may have missed something important. What’s happening Tuesday? Is that about the white dial?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance. I have been following closely but may have missed something important. What’s happening Tuesday? Is that about the white dial?

Eddie opens his online shop on a Tuesday morning and usually shuts it again a couple of hours later.

If you want to buy something then you have to be quick, hence the alarm for this living in different time zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Eddie opens his online shop on a Tuesday morning and usually shuts it again a couple of hours later.

If you want to buy something then you have to be quick, hence the alarm for this living in different time zones.

Things have calmed down a bit, I ordered a Nato in each of the last two weeks and was able to do so mid morning and early afternoon on Tuesdays. However the store was closed on Weds & Thurs. Eddie's normally open Tues, Weds and Thurs, but once he reaches the max number of orders that he can process in the remainder of the week then he shuts up shop until the following Tuesday. I expect things will take off when the next range of 36mm white dials and (hopefully) bracelets become available.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    The lume is C3 Superluminova and the hands, indices and arabic numerals are generously and evenly applied with it. The lume is as legible and long lasting as any of my divers.

Apprentice
    Hi all,

I'm new here and just spotted this watch, I've wanted a Rolex Explorer for a while but don't have the money. My next watch should be a Tudor BB58, when it's eventually available. Now this has caught my eye, what is the quality like? Are they made in the UK? Would it be comparable to something from Tissot?

Thanks

Quality excellent. Incredible value for money really.

Designed and commissioned in the UK, produced in the Far East.

Significantly better than Tissot in my view, but admittedly my experience of Tissot is very limited.

If you have time, read this whole thread from the beginning (and there's a previous one if you're a glutton for punishment) and you'll find answers to more questions than you could have imagined ..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Quality excellent. Incredible value for money really.

Designed and commissioned in the UK, produced in the Far East.

Significantly better than Tissot in my view, but admittedly my experience of Tissot is very limited.

If you have time, read this whole thread from the beginning (and there's a previous one if you're a glutton for punishment) and you'll find answers to more questions than you could have imagined ..
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any info about the history behind them, I see that Smiths was around many years ago. Is this a new design that just uses the name? I don't know Time Factors either, I assume they are good to deal with though as there seems to be lots of happy customers.

I will try to do some reading.

Not sure if it's possible to see one before buying, I'm near Coventry if it helps.

As an afterthought, Rev-O wrote up rather a good review here last month. Well worth a read. Just scroll down a few threads and you'll see it.

Previous messages crossed.

Smiths were the last mass market watch manufacturer in this country, but sadly found it difficult to compete as the 60s progressed. There are quite a few enthusiasts interested in Smiths vintage watches. Eddie (our host) bought the rights to the name some years ago and has produced quite a few good quality modern models in the Smiths line. If only they were still made in Cheltenham!

There are quite a few collectors of the modern Smiths watches as well, actually.

This is an internet-based microbrand situation so no showrooms - the price would be rather different if a dealer network were involved I think!
    Last edited by TF23; 8th March 2019 at 22:31.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the reply and the information. I read the review and it does sound great. It's climbing my wanted list already. Tempted to just order one as it's the best way to find out if I really like it. Though I'd like to clear out some of my current collection, I have 8 watches at the moment and most of those don't get worn.

Tried a grey perlon on the 36mm. Very comfortable I'll leave it on for a while but more than likely will go back to the bracelet

Eagerly waiting developments after your end of year review Eddie; the moment the grey face one is available with that new bracelet I’m snapping it up

Just to clarify, the dial is black. The anti-reflective coating is good enough for it actually to look black from any angle too.

My understanding re the new, rivetted bracelet is that the planned off-white dialled models will come on that and there'll also be a limited number of separate bracelets to buy for those who have the current black faced model and want to replace the original bracelet on it. It might be a very long wait if you want the black dial actually supplied on the rivetted bracelet as the existing stock would need to sell out first, though obviously you could just buy the bracelet separately (in which case you may as well buy the watch right now and see how you get on with the current bracelet).

I had mine on a vintage style leather strap for a while but I've never looked back after returning it to the bracelet. I've actually got used to the clasp and although I will be picking up the rivetted and more heavily tapered bracelet when available, the way I feel now I wouldn't be devastated if it didn't happen.