closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Photography - Dealer

Photography - Dealer

... (sorry - wrong forum).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th December 2018 at 16:33.

Really lovely Tony, Im a little surprised your photos are not watermarked heavily on the site?
    Good luck, the pier at Cromer is beautiful.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Really lovely Tony, Im a little surprised your photos are not watermarked heavily on the site?
    Good luck, the pier at Cromer is beautiful.
    Thanks very much, Jase. I've uploaded quite low res images, so you couldn't really do anything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks very much, Jase. I've uploaded quite low res images, so you couldn't really do anything with them.
    ...apart from using them on another website or a blog.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Well done Tony in getting this up! Quite an extensive collection and some lovely photography. A great way to show your work off!

As a suggestion for the shop, would it maybe be an idea to curate your photos even further to start off with? I find the choice a bit overwhelming. I want to see say the top 15/20 max of what you are most proud of and then flesh it out.

Also buyers tend to like it if prints are limited - maybe a suggestion to limit each print and number them?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Well done Tony in getting this up! Quite an extensive collection and some lovely photography. A great way to show your work off!

As a suggestion for the shop, would it maybe be an idea to curate your photos even further to start off with? I find the choice a bit overwhelming. I want to see say the top 15/20 max of what you are most proud of and then flesh it out.

Also buyers tend to like it if prints are limited - maybe a suggestion to limit each print and number them?
    These are all issues that I'm still mulling over, actually. I was originally having everything printed locally, and numbering and signing them. To be honest, it just drives the price up and creates a lot of work, as it precludes me from getting them printed and shipped without personal intervention. With regard to numbers, it is a bit daunting at the moment, but that's only in the shop itself - the individual collections are pretty easy to navigate through. I may rotate them periodically, but i haven't decided on that one yet.

Thanks for the helpful critique, by the way.

These are all issues that I'm still mulling over, actually. I was originally having everything printed locally, and numbering and signing them. To be honest, it just drives the price up and creates a lot of work, as it precludes me from getting them printed and shipped without personal intervention. With regard to numbers, it is a bit daunting at the moment, but that's only in the shop itself - the individual collections are pretty easy to navigate through. I may rotate them periodically, but i haven't decided on that one yet.

Thanks for the helpful critique, by the way.
    Hmm the additional cost is indeed a potential issue and something to monitor. It may be actually worth it if you get the feedback.

I think your individual collections are laid out fine - I would leave that, though the periodic rotation isn't a bad idea at all. I'd maybe add another line in each collection as well advising/suggesting that any image is available for print too.

I was indeed specifically talking about the number in shop. I'm a strong believer in extreme curation to start with - I think it'd represent you better. And then drip feed further images shop, but consumers may want the choice. No real right answer I guess.

Hmm the additional cost is indeed a potential issue and something to monitor. It may be actually worth it if you get the feedback.

I think your individual collections are laid out fine - I would leave that, though the periodic rotation isn't a bad idea at all. I'd maybe add another line in each collection as well advising/suggesting that any image is available for print too.

I was indeed specifically talking about the number in shop. I'm a strong believer in extreme curation to start with - I think it'd represent you better. And then drip feed further images shop, but consumers may want the choice. No real right answer I guess.
    The problem is, the collections show what's available, so I can't really remove images from the shop only (without creating extra steps, contact requirements, etc). It's a conundrum.

I'll have a look at the text for the collections, and give it a tweak. Thanks again.

Good luck with the new venture, my McAfee threw up a "this website status: very risky" when clicked on your link. I'm not techy enough to advise how that could be changed but thought you should know.

The problem is, the collections show what's available, so I can't really remove images from the shop only (without creating extra steps, contact requirements, etc). It's a conundrum.

I'll have a look at the text for the collections, and give it a tweak. Thanks again.
    Ah right I see what you mean. Good luck, I guess no one said any of this would be easy

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Good luck with the new venture, my McAfee threw up a "this website status: very risky" when clicked on your link. I'm not techy enough to advise how that could be changed but thought you should know.
    Damn. It's a false reading for malware, and this isn't the first time it's happened. thanks - I'll take it up with Squarespace straight away.

Photography - Dealer

Your meta descriptions are not very good, probably left empty for Google to fill in.
    Website is clear and simple, a rare quality.
    It works well on mobile too.
    You should open up the copyright with a limited use with attribution, at least for some examples: getting a few bloggers to use them is a great way to get your work and your name around, and this from people who would not buy anyway, thus no impact on your sales.
    This is also why you may want to have watermarks, so you can more easily track and claim if non legitimate use.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Your meta descriptions are not very good, probably left empty for Google to fill in.
    You should open up the copyright with a limited use with attribution, at least for some examples: getting a few bloggers to use them is a great way to get your work and your name around, and this from people who would not buy anyway, thus no impact on your sales.
    This is also why you may want to have watermarks, so you can more easily track and claim if non legitimate use.
    Glad you like the site style/layout, thanks!

I only realised yesterday that there's a way to add metadata to each image. It will be a huge task, so something for the future.

Still thinking abut the watermark issue

With watermarks - I'd make them within the frame, small and in the corner, not splashed across the middle. That is horrible and I think would detract a sale.

Metadata are one thing. I was thinking of meta description, the text that appears under your page title in a SERP, a Search Engine Result Page.
    Go to Google, type site:tonyangelimages.com and you値l see them

With watermarks - I'd make them within the frame, small and in the corner, not splashed across the middle. That is horrible and I think would detract a sale.
    Agreed. Even invisible is fine.

Tony, have a look at imatag (imatag.com)
    Review here: https://petapixel.com/2017/12/22/ima...rotect-photos/

Agreed. Even invisible is fine.

Tony, have a look at imatag (imatag.com)
    Review here: https://petapixel.com/2017/12/22/ima...rotect-photos/
    Oooh, I'll have a proper look at that, thank you!

I知 going to put this thread where it was meant to have been (SC)!

Looking good Tony.

You are probably aware of me making my site with the aim of offering prints. I don't watermark either. I am also struggling with how to/will i sign a print. I think it is important to have a name on there somewhere, i have played with doing it digitally but have now settled on a silver pen and a discrete signature in the corner.

With limited prints, it can and should add value but what if one in particular really takes off? Some will also simply not believe if you did say they were limited.

Can't please everybody and i've been wrestling with all these things and more for months

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Looking good Tony.

You are probably aware of me making my site with the aim of offering prints. I don't watermark either. I am also struggling with how to/will i sign a print. I think it is important to have a name on there somewhere, i have played with doing it digitally but have now settled on a silver pen and a discrete signature in the corner.

With limited prints, it can and should add value but what if one in particular really takes off? Some will also simply not believe if you did say they were limited.

Can't please everybody and i've been wrestling with all these things and more for months
    Really enjoying your work at the moment, Mike.

Up to this point in time, all the prints I致e sold have been signed and limited. Aside from a gallery in NY that most of them went to, I知 not convinced that it matters much, though. I still don稚 know what I知 going to do going forward but for now I知 keeping it as simple as possible.

Good luck with yours.

I don't watermark as it usually looks hideous and is easy enough to remove anyway. I have copyright info in the exif and upload low-res to my site. If someone decides to screen grab it, then I'm relying on Pixsy to find it and tell me (it's pretty good so far).

As for signing on ltd edition prints, I sign and number on the border in the bottom right corner with a fine pen - that way if the client wants to display it as such they can, or they can hide it behind a matte in the frame if they don't want it displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I don't watermark as it usually looks hideous and is easy enough to remove anyway. I have copyright info in the exif and upload low-res to my site. If someone decides to screen grab it, then I'm relying on Pixsy to find it and tell me (it's pretty good so far).
    Precisely what I do, save for Pixsy. I値l look into that straight away though, Ash.