closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are you Gold Blooded?

Are you Gold Blooded?

Just wondering if there are any other active blood platelet donors on the forum? I've been going in Southampton for a few years now, and have now notched up just over 120 units of platelets (on top of 19 units of whole blood before that!). I'm looking forward to exceeding 150 donations during 2019, as I donate every month.

If you are a blood donor, but have never heard of platelet donation, then take a look at http://platelets.blood.co.uk/ for more information. Not everyone can do it, and there are only around 14,000 or us in the UK, but it's an essential resource to help support the NHS in dealing with trauma in A&E, or providing support for cancer patients, or other chronic conditions.

Ask about it at your next blood donation, and they'll be able to check your veins and take a sample of blood to see if you are eligible. There are, unfortunately, only 22 platelet donation centres in the UK, so you probably need to be relatively close to one of them to minimise the time required to do it. Donation normally takes about 2 hours in total, and the donor carers are fantsatic and really look after you (plenty of free tea/coffee and biscuits/crisps whilst you are on the machine!). They also positively encourage you to drink red wine, which is a great excuse...

Phil

No longer active because of my medications following a heart attack. I was, however, a regular platelet donor before that happened.

It's very worthwhile to donate, especially if you find you're in one of the more unusual categories, eg I found out that I was CMV negative.

I don't know if it's still the case, but donors could give platelets 15 times a year with a minimum of 14 days between donations. It does take a bit longer than whole blood donation (which is also very worthwhile) but there's a lot less hanging around as you are expected for a timed appointment.

It's now 24 times a year, with a minimum of 14 days between each. Given that they typically take two units of platelets at a time (and sometimes three), that can be a fair few donations.

I am B-, which is around 2% of the population, so certainly one of the rarer groups. They really like A- donors for platelets, as these are used in A&E to help anyone (a bit like O- whole blood).

Phil

I give blood on a regular basis and am A- so they keep asking me to donate platelets as well and I keep asking them if I could do it at my local Hospital I would but they don't offer it there despite it being a large Hospital

If you were to see a platelet centre I think that you would understand why there are not more of them. I believe that they're co-located with other NHSBT establisments around the country (link).

This page has a video on How are platelets donated?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    If you were to see a platelet centre I think that you would understand why there are not more of them. I believe that they're co-located with other NHSBT establisments around the country (link).

This page has a video on How are platelets donated?

Fair comment I expect, is it the equipment there that makes them rare?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Fair comment I expect, is it the equipment there that makes them rare?
    I don't think the machines are amenable to being moved to various locations. They're large and require backup power supplies etc that they could get at a major hospital, but the infrastructure needed to support such a unit will be balanced against the success, or otherwise, of their program. We know that the NHS is stretched and that there are probably potential donors within the catchment of the existing centres, so that's where their recruitment effort is directed.

Master
    Hi Phil - thank you for starting this thread. I used to work for a company that needed blood donations for their work (big pharma) so I always used to oblige. I no longer do.. so this is the perfect kick up the arse to start donations again and I will certainly look into this as a potential extra donation. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I don't think the machines are amenable to being moved to various locations. They're large and require backup power supplies etc that they could get at a major hospital, but the infrastructure needed to support such a unit will be balanced against the success, or otherwise, of their program. We know that the NHS is stretched and that there are probably potential donors within the catchment of the existing centres, so that's where their recruitment effort is directed.
    I have no idea how much the machines are, but I know that the disposable pipework that they use for each donation costs over £100! That's a one-use item, and so they only load them onto the machines when they know that a donor has been screened and ready to donate. Southampton General Hospital has about 10 machines that are often all in use when I donate. They can also be used to extract plasma, even at the same time as platelets.

For info, the platelet donation itself can make you feel a bit odd at first. They use an anti-coagulent in your blood (otherwise it would clot before they can put it back in!). This can make you feel a bit light headed or tingly, and ultimately a little faint if you don't get on with it. They can reduce the dose that you receive to help this, and it just means that the donation takes a little longer. I am normally on the machine for about 70 minutes for a double-donation, but have done one triple, which took almost all of the maximum 90 minutes that they allow. I was getting a little bored by that time, but the free snacks and drinks helped...

Phil

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hi Phil - thank you for starting this thread. I used to work for a company that needed blood donations for their work (big pharma) so I always used to oblige. I no longer do.. so this is the perfect kick up the arse to start donations again and I will certainly look into this as a potential extra donation. Cheers
    Glad to be of service!!

Phil

Master
    Nobody would want my blood.... but as a frequent recipient, I’d like to say a personal THANK YOU to all those that donate whole blood, platelets and Plasma, and in fact any other type of extraction from blood.

I’m well aware of the time and effort it takes to get off ones backside drive to a donor centre and have a needle stuck in your arm.

I and plenty of others are very grateful..👍👍

Master
    Not a platelet donor as Leeds or Sheffield would be my nearest both around 90 mins away

recently clocked up 51 regular blood donations though

the whole process has improved over the years and I'm now usually in and out within an hour which is no hassle at all.