closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex BLNR discontinued?

Rolex BLNR discontinued?

Seems to be quite a few strong rumours floating around the net regarding the demise of the BLNR. Probably makes sense for Rolex to release a new model at Basel to incorporate the newer movement. I mean, my old explorer 2 from 2009 was using the 3186 movement which is also found in the batman. Anyone for a batman on a jubilee with newer movement?

Master
    Well it's still on the Rolex site with the configurator....although chances of getting any GMT II is a feat in itself at the moment, I never realised just how hard it is to get any SS sport Rolex, tried weekend to get my name on a waiting listed and wasn't successful :-(

Quote Originally Posted by adz34 View Post
    Well it's still on the Rolex site with the configurator....although chances of getting any GMT II is a feat in itself at the moment, I never realised just how hard it is to get any SS sport Rolex, tried weekend to get my name on a waiting listed and wasn't successful :-(
    On the website but not in the current catalogue. Spoke to my AD this morning who confirmed only the newer movement gmt models are in the latest catalogue...wonder what that could mean..

Strangely enough, an AD I have bought from sent me an unsolicited copy of a Rolex catalogue and price list, which dropped on the doormat this morning. No BLNR, no Milgauss, nor either Explorer featured. Or SS Skydweller.. I just assumed it was an abridged Christmas special edition as it has quite a lot of blinged up stuff included despite these omissions.

If anyone wants it as a curio, just PM an address to send it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    I just assumed it was an abridged Christmas special edition as it has quite a lot of blinged up stuff included despite these omissions.
    Correct

The BLNR does not feature in the full October 2018 catalogue in either the catalogue itself or the pricelist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adz34 View Post
    ... I never realised just how hard it is to get any SS sport Rolex, tried weekend to get my name on a waiting listed and wasn't successful :-(
    There’s a new thread about that every week; can’t believe you’ve not seen it!

What are you after? Saw an black GMT in Leeds last week along with the obligatory Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Correct
    The oracle has spoken...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    The BLNR does not feature in the full October 2018 catalogue in either the catalogue itself or the pricelist.
    It does appear in the October 2018 Rolex UK master price list.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It does appear in the October 2018 Rolex UK master price list.
    Heard any rumours Haywood?

This is the third thread on the discontinuation of the BLNR - how many more needed before it happens?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Heard any rumours Haywood?
    Nothing that hasn’t already been discussed.

My expectation is that there will simply be a new BLNR - a 126710BLNR ? - with the upgraded movement and that little tell-tale crown at 6. For most this might just mean business as usual.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you think they will be hard to get hold of now, or even command a premium for those available on the used market?
    Last edited by Middo; 10th December 2018 at 22:51.

Master
    Nothing that hasn’t already been discussed.

My expectation is that there will simply be a new BLNR - a 126710BLNR ? - with the upgraded movement and that little tell-tale crown at 6. For most this might just mean business as usual.

H
    This shall now go round watch forums as Rolex expert confirms BLNR to be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    This is the third thread on the discontinuation of the BLNR - how many more needed before it happens?
    Didn’t see the other two...Feel free to ignore if your not interested

What is it they say about broken clocks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Didn’t see the other two...Feel free to ignore if you're not interested
    Don't be so touchy, you've missed my point: these rumours are nothing new, and one day, since eventually everything gets discontinued, they'll be true.

I am still wating for the phone call from my local AD as I have been told, I am next on the list.

I will give him a call tomorrow to see if they have heard owt.

Don't be so touchy, you've missed my point: these rumours are nothing new, and one day, since eventually everything gets discontinued, they'll be true.
    Tbf, I woke up this morning and saw some stuff online which lots of people are claiming could be true. (Rolex passion report). There are now lots of YouTube videos on the back of this claiming the watch to be discontinued. I had a look on here and couldn’t see anything about it so thought I’d start a thread. I have a vested interest in that I recently bought a batman..

Yes the GMT 2 is long overdue to get the newer 32xx movements.
    I’ll gladly wait for one.

Reminds me of the interminable threads about the demise of the 16610LV which rumbled on for years. Not only did they make that for quite a few more years - right up to the demise of the whole 16610 series - they made a ceramic LV follow-up too, even though the LV was supposed to be a one-off 50th anniversary special model.
    Oh, and give it a few years - there’ll be windows full of GMT’s, it’s all part of the ‘circle of marketing’ - I think I’m getting old, it’s just rinse and repeat in regard to Rolex news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How will any of us sleep tonight?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Reminds me of the interminable threads about the demise of the 16610LV which rumbled on for years. Not only did they make that for quite a few more years - right up to the demise of the whole 16610 series - they made a ceramic LV follow-up too, even though the LV was supposed to be a one-off 50th anniversary special model.
    Oh, and give it a few years - there’ll be windows full of GMT’s, it’s all part of the ‘circle of marketing’ - I think I’m getting old, it’s just rinse and repeat in regard to Rolex news!!
    Are there windows full of LVs, or any other discontinued professional models from the past anywhere (other than at the Burlington Arcade tourist cash-trap)?

Master
    [QUOTE=David_D;4963318]There’s a new thread about that every week; can’t believe you’ve not seen it!

What are you after? Saw an black GMT in Leeds last week along with the obligatory Explorer.[/QUOTE

Hi, not been on watch talk for a while to be honest, i walked into my local AD a few years back I just bought a Rolex Sub, regret selling so called in last week to ask about a sub or GMT and to be told no joy at all....was a bit miffed as I’ve easily spent over 15k over the years. Anyway I’m going to two other dealers weekend on the hunt for a sub or GMT Pepsi lol. Did try a nice Datejust 41 steel with blue dial and jubilee though

Blog Entries

I heard we are leaving Europe... (sorry I'll get my coat)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I heard we are leaving Europe... (sorry I'll get my coat)
    Well, at least that's untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I flicked through the full catalogue when I was at st James sq this week and this is right, it’s neither in the full 215 page catalogue or in the price list. It has disappeared for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I flicked through the full catalogue when I was at st James sq this week and this is right, it’s neither in the full 215 page catalogue or in the price list. It has disappeared for sure.

From that picture the standard black bezel version is also missing. "Disappeared" or just "about to be upgraded"?

A year ago there were similar rumours and similar evidence of the Deep Sea being discontinued, but it was merely the prelude to getting the upgraded movement.

From that picture the standard black bezel version is also missing. "Disappeared" or just "about to be upgraded"?

A year ago there were similar rumours and similar evidence of the Deep Sea being discontinued, but it was merely the prelude to getting the upgraded movement.
    I'm going to go with getting upgraded movement.
    Just guessing based on the the old movement models that are stay are BI/Metal PM and relatively slow sellers so there's probably a back log of stock that needs shifted before they get the movement upgrade.
    Although with that logic, it's weird that the 2018 blue dial 116719 BLRO uses a 3186 currently, unlesss its going to get a stealth swap in the next year or so.

Yes, LN has gone from the catalogue too. I’m sure it means the current models are gone but what will replace them is pure speculation. Coronet to dial yes, movement yes, but bezels, cases, bracelets etc is anyone’s guess. They’ve been above Rrp for a good year now so if Youre in the camp of wanting one, i’d get on with it. It’s Chriiiiissssttmaaaasss!

I'm not a gambling man, but I wager one puff of hot air that the black bezel will be replaced with a black bezel.

Master
    The wonderful thing is with Rolex you just don't know what they are going to do. It is all part of the fun.

Although yes, logic would dictate both the black bezel and the black blue will be back with the new movement.
    Or...a coke anyone!??

For what it's worth, both the UK AD I bought my BLNR from and an AD in Budapest that I visited recently both suggested that Rolex were unlikely to run two coloured bezel ss gmt models concurrently.

That said, the BLNR is a good seller plus it's reported that Rolex spent much r&d on getting the blue black bezel right so I'd say BLNR will get the new movement soon.

Spoke with my local AD today, as I am supposed to be next to get one. He was currently off today so asked to speak with someone else, when I asked if the rumors where correct she quickly said I will get your advisor to call you tomorrow when hes back in.

I checked their website after, and yes its been removed from their site to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

I checked their website after, and yes its been removed from their site to.
    Your AD website? BLNR is stil on the Rolex UK website.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The frustrating Rolex SS shortage becomes um.. shorter?

Im in the camp it will just be updated

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    For what it's worth, both the UK AD I bought my BLNR from and an AD in Budapest that I visited recently both suggested that Rolex were unlikely to run two coloured bezel ss gmt models concurrently.

That said, the BLNR is a good seller plus it's reported that Rolex spent much r&d on getting the blue black bezel right so I'd say BLNR will get the new movement soon.

I thought the moniker ‘BLNR’ only refered to a colour choice of bezel on a GMT-Master? The way everyone is talking - it’s as if it is an actual model?

If Rolex wheel out a new movement in GMT-Master guise - Who knows if it is available with a two-tone bezel?

(Although maybe they think it is too ‘garish for their future image’ - who knows)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I thought the moniker ‘BLNR’ only refered to a colour choice of bezel on a GMT-Master? The way everyone is talking - it’s as if it is an actual model?

If Rolex wheel out a new movement in GMT-Master guise - Who knows if it is available with a two-tone bezel?
    It already is: the BLNR is a 116710 with the old 3186 movement. The *steel* BLRO is a 126710 with the new 3285 movement

(The white gold BLRO is still the 116719 it was before, despite the change of dial colour, so still has the 3186 movement)

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Do you think they will be hard to get hold of now, or even command a premium for those available on the used market?
    We have received more BLNR's for stock this year than for two or three years.

As Haywood says this conversation has been had a few times before. They are not shown in the consumer catalogue, doubtless to allow more space for the BLRO, but they are in the Master Catalogue and online, so "Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring!!"

Master
    Another vote for just the movement upgrade in both the Blnr and Ln with the possibility of a coke release or possibly another bezel variation. A Blueberry combo would kill the Pepsi stone dead though.

Master
    I love how the debate is as if there are thousands of BLNRs lying around in AD windows !

Will make jack all difference to us average souls trying to buy a SS Rolex !
    Last edited by gaurav_tzuk; 11th December 2018 at 18:21.

Craftsman
    Discontinuation of the BLNR in 116710 guise is an inevitablily, would have thought Basel 2019 would see it gone. Whether or not it will be replaced with a 126710BLNR is yet to be seen.

I don’t think Rolex will do a direct replacement, please note this is not based on any info/data that I have available but rather a gut feeling.

Master
    It could be the BLNR moving to precious metal.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think updated movements also, can't see there being any radical releases in 2019 after the Daytona and Pepsi in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Your AD website? BLNR is stil on the Rolex UK website.
    David M Robinsons website.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Are there windows full of LVs, or any other discontinued professional models from the past anywhere (other than at the Burlington Arcade tourist cash-trap)?
    I’m not talking about anything discontinued, just how today’s ‘hot watch’ was always easy to buy in the older iteration - Pepsi gmt masters on a jubilee were hardly rare and neither were LV’s. They stop making them and they’re ‘legendary’ and worth a fortune. But I stepped off the Rolex bus a long time ago so don’t really understand all the hoopla tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The 2018 Pepsi came with upgraded movement and a slightly slimmer case.

For me it’s fairly clear a new Black and either a new Batman or perhaps instead a new Coke, will come with the upgraded movement and slimmer case, both with oyster bracelet. My vote is that a Coke is too similar to a Pepsi and historically has always been second fiddle to the Pepsi, so I would guess they stick with blue black on oyster and with Pepsi on jubilee.

How would the slightly fey shade of red they achieved on the BLRO ceramic bezel look combined with black? Not good enough to make ditching the Batman worthwhile, I reckon.

Craftsman
    Generally speaking would Rolex release a new model outside of Baselworld? My assumption is that everything is released there?

I’ve got one in my personal collection ( not stock) market value is irrelevant, It’s a nice piece.

Hoping/preying it will be discontinued to make money is a bit silly imo.