closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mail Boxes Etc

Craftsman

Mail Boxes Etc

I'm looking at shipping a watch using MBE. I can't find a lot of feedback about them online - has anyone here any experience using them?

Craftsman
    I used them to send a watch to Japan, very efficient but not particularly cheap. One benefit of using MBE is that they insist on seeing the item being sent and will photograph it then pack it whilst you watch. If the buyer subsequently claims they received a brick MBE will back you up in contesting any spurious claim.

Blog Entries
    I have used them. They provide independent insurance for valuable items. Not the cheapest but are efficient. As said - will insist on photo of items being sent before packing so don’t turn up with your watch all double packed and taped up as you will have to open the package again.

I can recommend than.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    Used them once.Expensive.I didn’t have much choice as auctioneer would not pack and post items themselves .

They're a franchise. My local MBE guy is brilliant. They also offer Royal Mail services without having to queue for hours behind addled pensioners being flogged broadband and travel insurance.

Journeyman
    Used them in the US when we were travelling. We even registered a car we bought to a mailboxes etc box in San Diego. Found them.to be very efficient and secure.

Master
    I used them before to insure and deliver a Rolex Hulk within the UK. It wasn't particularly cheap, but was reassuring given the value of the watch and the price was competitive at the time. They packed it in the shop themselves and I don't think there was any choice in this.

Last week I asked for a quote to send a lower value (£2k) watch overseas they were the most expensive quote I received:

Packaging £7
    Courier £70
    Compensation up to (2000) - £60
    Total - £137 (additional £15 if collection is required)

DHL charge 1.5% for insurance so £30 in my case, and about £55 for shipping including all the bubble wrap I needed to secure the watch box in the DHL packaging. Initially they wanted to use the next box size up which was way more money, but I did turn up with the watch already packed up in another box - I undid my packaging and re-packed in theirs. I booked the collection online, took the watch to Office Outlet and helped them wrap it up before it was sent off.

Always compare the service and cost according to the watch value and destination is my experience.

Ant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I used them before to insure and deliver a Rolex Hulk within the UK. It wasn't particularly cheap, but was reassuring given the value of the watch and the price was competitive at the time. They packed it in the shop themselves and I don't think there was any choice in this.

Last week I asked for a quote to send a lower value (£2k) watch overseas they were the most expensive quote I received:

Packaging £7
    Courier £70
    Compensation up to (2000) - £60
    Total - £137 (additional £15 if collection is required)

DHL charge 1.5% for insurance so £30 in my case, and about £55 for shipping including all the bubble wrap I needed to secure the watch box in the DHL packaging. Initially they wanted to use the next box size up which was way more money, but I did turn up with the watch already packed up in another box - I undid my packaging and re-packed in theirs. I booked the collection online, took the watch to Office Outlet and helped them wrap it up before it was sent off.

Always compare the service and cost according to the watch value and destination is my experience.

Ant
    £2K for a Hulk. Those were the days!! Can I ask why you didn’t use RMSD or was their upper limit less in those days?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    £2K for a Hulk. Those were the days!! Can I ask why you didn’t use RMSD or was their upper limit less in those days?
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear... I used MBE to deliver the Hulk (green ceramic Sub, not the earlier green Sub with aluminium bezel often referred to as a Kermit) which sold for just under £6k within the last few years. LAST WEEK I asked for a quote for a different watch valued at £2k. If I remember right, the Hulk cost c.£100 to send via MBE but it was insured for the full value. I didn't want to take the risk using RMSD. I couldn't use RMSD for the sale recently as it was going overseas and wanted full insurance. Many couriers were quoting £90+ just for the insurance on a £2k watch.

Ant

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    They're a franchise. My local MBE guy is brilliant.
    The franchise bit is important. My local MBE is somewhat random.... Nice people but I honestly couldn't steer a valuable package in their direction based on past experience.

I’ve used them a few times sending items to the USA. like others have said not cheap but if that’s not an issue I’d recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear... I used MBE to deliver the Hulk (green ceramic Sub, not the earlier green Sub with aluminium bezel often referred to as a Kermit) which sold for just under £6k within the last few years. LAST WEEK I asked for a quote for a different watch valued at £2k. If I remember right, the Hulk cost c.£100 to send via MBE but it was insured for the full value. I didn't want to take the risk using RMSD. I couldn't use RMSD for the sale recently as it was going overseas and wanted full insurance. Many couriers were quoting £90+ just for the insurance on a £2k watch.

Ant
    Ah - got you! I do apologies for the mis-interpretation. I think MBE are ok for us mortals who cannot get independent watch insurance - £100 is not that too much for a £10K watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Ah - got you! I do apologies for the mis-interpretation. I think MBE are ok for us mortals who cannot get independent watch insurance - £100 is not that too much for a £10K watch.
    Its 3% of value so £300 on 10K watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Its 3% of value so £300 on 10K watch
    £100 insurance makes the watch value £3,300 @ 3% - I guess the Hulk was worth less back then. . . if the Hulk was £6000 that would make it £200 approx. for insurance + shipping

Yeh - MBE works out at 3% of value of item for insurance - so £2K watch would be around the £60 mark then + shipping.

MBE is still my preferred - only - option, for items over £2500, as I don't have many other options being a private seller and no Parcel Pro account. And comes recommended as mentioned above.

Small print of DHL says they don't cover watches above a certain value - looks like £2,000 is within limits for non-account holders though :

https://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shi...ccount_holders

The following items will NOT be accepted for carriage by DHL. This list includes items which are prohibited for carriage by any law, regulation or statute of any federal, state or local government of any country from, to or through which the items may be carried. For international carriage there may be additional prohibited items specified by the country of destination. DHL may at its sole discretion refuse to carry other items not listed below.

• Jewellery, costume jewellery, watches and objects constructed of precious metal and/or stones with a value in excess of £4,000 per waybill

Martyn

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2018 at 09:50.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the info chaps. I'm based in Ireland and and no courier (including DHL) will ship a watch from here, so I'm left with MBE as the only option. The input is very much appreciated.

They're very good. I also had a very easy and successful claim when a watch went astray en route to NZ; they self-insure, and settled in full within a couple pf weeks.

Master
    Another in the thumbs-up camp. There are so-many ambiguities with some of the big couriers that like Martyn I'm too nervous of them with more expensive watches. MBE take pics, pack it, and as has been underlined self-insure, and for me the peace of mind is worth paying for.