closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This watch never ceases to amaze me

This watch never ceases to amaze me

These were originally about €6K but I bought this for around €2K about a year ago, mint condition. A watch that has an inhouse movement and crazy detailing (I'd say it equals my ex-Breguet XX).

I love it.

Didn't you do this thread a few days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Not really. I opened a general thread about the brand itself. This is a new pic which I think came out well.

Maybe I should have thought twice before posting a watch pic to a watch forum though. My bad. ;)

Master
    A nice watch and a later iteration of those with the el primero movement!
    Worth its own thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    A nice watch and a later iteration of those with the el primero movement!
    Worth its own thread!
    Thanks.

Not an El Primero though. Rick Denney describes it:

"The movement started life as a Lemania 1340 (aka Omega 1040), which descends to some extent from the Lemania 1873 (aka Omega 1861). They are lever-action chronographs that nevertheless have very smooth pusher action and operation. Breguet uses the same movement, finished to about the same level, in the Type XX and XXI, with the additional of a flyback function. When Ebel started developing their version of this movement, they bought exclusive rights to the movement design from Lemania, with rights given to Ulysse Nardin for the base plate (which UN used in their calendar watches) and to Breguet for use in the Type XX."

Great value watches, with a very nice finish - I’m not sure I’d like to pay RRP for one though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Great value watches, with a very nice finish - I’m not sure I’d like to pay RRP for one though.
    Yes that was the problem in the first place. In that €6K price category it competed against Rolex and Breitling. The quality and design equals them any day but the the brand power was not there.

That's why these are such great buys now. You can get a €6K watch for third of the price.

I'm sure there are other just as good examples from other brands (like UN) though.
    Last edited by JPE; 10th December 2018 at 11:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Thanks.

Not an El Primero though. Rick Denney describes it:

"The movement started life as a Lemania 1340 (aka Omega 1040), which descends to some extent from the Lemania 1873 (aka Omega 1861). They are lever-action chronographs that nevertheless have very smooth pusher action and operation. Breguet uses the same movement, finished to about the same level, in the Type XX and XXI, with the additional of a flyback function. When Ebel started developing their version of this movement, they bought exclusive rights to the movement design from Lemania, with rights given to Ulysse Nardin for the base plate (which UN used in their calendar watches) and to Breguet for use in the Type XX."
    That is what I said. It superseded the el primero movement edition...

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    That is what I said. It superseded the el primero movement edition...
    Exactly. I read it sloppily. Sorry.

Great photo and the dial detail looks incredible. Unusual case design with the smoothed curves instead of usual sharp angles you see on other brands. Good that Ebel have a distinctive style in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You mean 16 months: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=404538

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    No I actually opened another thread of Ebel brand just two days ago.

He had a point. I could have posted this to that thread and not open another. But I was so happy about well executed wrist shot, haha.

Here's another nice wrist shot. The watch is big but it doesn't wear big because of that case shape. That's quite nice design.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Here's the other one...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-so-underrated

They are a nice watch, do these have standard lugs or their typically annoying special fitting ones?

Master
    I can confirm, I am amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post

They are a nice watch, do these have standard lugs or their typically annoying special fitting ones?
    I'm afraid it's the latter... if you're referring to the screw bracelet/strap attachment.

I see that it was mentioned in one of the other threads, but those exposed screw heads are not aesthetically pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I see that it was mentioned in one of the other threads, but those exposed screw heads are not aesthetically pleasing.
    Yeah... they're not for everyone. I love them... they've always been like that on the 1911 line.

Hublot and Ebel have the non-symmetrical screws but AP has them placed symmetrical.

Gorgeous watch, one of the very few models I'd still add to my collection anytime.

Yeah... they're not for everyone. I love them... they've always been like that on the 1911 line.

Hublot and Ebel have the non-symmetrical screws but AP has them placed symmetrical.
    Those aren't screws in the AP though - that's how they can be hexagonal!

Master
    Excellent wrist shot

Master
    I do like these and have been close to buying one a couple of times, but never quite got there. I guess the design polarises opinion, but I find it pleasing and would gladly own one. Nice wrist shot by the way!

These are a bargain at current prices. They won't be making any more of them though, as Ebel is focusing it's efforts on quartz powered, mainly ladies watches and has sold off the rights to the calibre 137 to Ulysee Nardin I believe, as it it doesn't need a mechanical chronograph movement any more.

Here's some old news from 2012:
    https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...h-caliber-137/

It's s coincidence that I was looking at Ebel chronographs the other day on eBay.
    Last edited by AKM; 10th December 2018 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    These are a bargain at current prices. They won't be making any more of them though, as Ebel is focusing it's efforts on quartz powered, mainly ladies watches and has sold off the rights to the calibre 137 to Ulysee Nardin I believe, as it it doesn't need a mechanical chronograph movement any more.

Here's some old news from 2012:
    https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...h-caliber-137/

It's s coincidence that I was looking at Ebel chronographs the other day on eBay.
    I think they put a lot of financial effort to the BTR lineup and although it got very positive reviews from the WIS the brand recognition just wasn't enough to compete in that price category.

That might have forced them financially to abandon the high end offerings.

They still sell automatic watches though but not with their own caliber anymore (I guess). That's too bad. I'm not too crazy about their current lineup, either. The ladies models are nice though.

Banned
    Makes a change from the "Look at my Rolex" threads. Nice to see something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Makes a change from the "Look at my Rolex" threads. Nice to see something a bit different.
    Yeah most people when they become interested in watches they all want a Rolex. Or at least Breitling or Omega. Brands like UN, Bell & Ross and Ebel are real watch guy's watches. :)

Not usually a fan of Ebel but that is nice.

Master
    I've often thought about the BTR perpetual. Ignore the price of this one, I've seen them available through official sources in US outlets (Movado outlets) at less than $7k before and that's a lot of watch for the money

https://www.chrono24.com/ebel/1911-b...16674.htm#gref
    Last edited by thegreatdogwood; 11th December 2018 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've often thought about the BTR perpetual. Ignore the price of this one, I've seen them available through official sources in US outlets at less than $7k before and that's a lot of watch for the money

https://www.chrono24.com/ebel/1911-b...16674.htm#gref
    Yes indeed. Considering the current prices these are all a lot of watch for the money.

I'm not a gold watch guy but I wouldn't mind having this, either.

Master
    Ridiculously undervalued and overlooked watches. The brand has never really cracked it in the UK and is better known in Europe. Shame as they are extremely well finished and as mentioned previously have some superb movements.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Ridiculously undervalued and overlooked watches. The brand has never really cracked it in the UK and is better known in Europe. Shame as they are extremely well finished and as mentioned previously have some superb movements.

Exactly this, mine gets more wrist time than any other. I think I paid about 30% of retail which made it a bargain, though not so good for those who had paid RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinon View Post
    Exactly this, mine gets more wrist time than any other. I think I paid about 30% of retail which made it a bargain, though not so good for those who had paid RRP.
    When the BTR line originally came (I think 2006 or so) the whole watch community loved it. I remember thinking that if they can't sell this model they can never sell anything... it was so good looking.

Well it didn't sell... not enough anyway. And the dealers were selling rest of the remaining stock cheap. They were sold "as new" but in fact many of these had been sitting on the shelves for years. I used the opportunity and bought one. One of the best watch purchases I've made.

Have you seen the GMT version? You actually operate the 24h hand and date from the chrono push buttons. That's an interesting solution. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJjjp2xQwM

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinon View Post
    Fabulous looking watch with a cracking movement that you rarely see in the wild, unlike other brands which certainly carries some appeal. Accuracy is generally good too and 30% is most definitely an attractive discount to entice one to take the plunge and give the brand a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes indeed. Considering the current prices these are all a lot of watch for the money.

I'm not a gold watch guy but I wouldn't mind having this, either.

Stunning.

I found the predecessor of my watch. This might be 41mm.

Picture credit: @handwoundenthusiast / Instagram