closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Belstaff Trailmaster - ReWaxing

Belstaff Trailmaster - ReWaxing

OK so I've had my Belstaff a couple of years now, should I get it sent off for a service/rewaxing?

If yes then who should I send it to?

Thanks
    Fish

Craftsman
    If you’re in/near London the shop on Bond Street do this free of charge I believe

Is it leaking?
    If yes you have two options send it back to the maker or do it yourself, it is not a difficult task. Some wax a cloth and a hair dryer and you are sorted.
    If it’s not leaking don’t bother.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 9th December 2018 at 20:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did my own Barbour, just re waxing though not cleaned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    If you’re in/near London the shop on Bond Street do this free of charge I believe
    Yep. Was in there a couple weeks ago and that is what they said.

Craftsman
    i would only wax mine if it was leeking.

My Gamefair is probably older than anyone else's Barbour on here by a factor of several, purely due to my own antiquity. I bought it for myself as a present when I went self-employed in 1980.
    It has been back to base once for a refurb; other than that I keep it supple and waterproof by applying Renapur, a wax preparation designed for treating boots. It really is magic stuff without a jar of which I would not be.
    Particularly for the cheaper end wax jackets, which would not be worth spending on, it is well worth a trial and I commend it.
    This presumes that the free reproof in a Barbour boutique would not be applicable to my Gamefair.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    My Gamefair is probably older than anyone else's Barbour on here by a factor of several, purely due to my own antiquity. I bought it for myself as a present when I went self-employed in 1980.
    It has been back to base once for a refurb; other than that I keep it supple and waterproof by applying Renapur, a wax preparation designed for treating boots. It really is magic stuff without a jar of which I would not be.
    Particularly for the cheaper end wax jackets, which would not be worth spending on, it is well worth a trial and I commend it.
    This presumes that the free reproof in a Barbour boutique would not be applicable to my Gamefair.
    Barbour charge £35 for a reproof. Not sure I can be bothered to do it myself. It sounds like a messy faff. Good to know Belstaff do it for free.

Yeah, if Belstaff did fishing jackets I would consider one. Or at least I would have done 30-odd years ago.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    OK so I've had my Belstaff a couple of years now, should I get it sent off for a service/rewaxing?
    Nope.

And when/if it leaks - wax it yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Fbz3XreZA

Master
    It's not just London, all Belstaff stores are currently offering free waxing I believe. In fact it's been so popular, they're outsourcing it to a secondary company, so they're estimating 6 weeks or so.

I think London has its own in-store service, and Manchester will have this shortly as well. I dropped one of my jackets off recently as it had lost its waxy look. Hoping it'll look as good as the day I bought it when I get it back.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Hoping it'll look as good as the day I bought it when I get it back.
    Mmmmmmmmm.......... That shiny and sticky look, all over again. The one that that female companions won't go hear cos it might stain, and feels sticky!

Personally I think they look so much better kinda worn in; and waxed off. And I never had a problem with waterproofing even when used as intended.

Free or not; one should wax ones jacket ones self. It is ungentlemanly to do otherwise. It is part of the ownership experience. Getting ones batman to do it is caddish.

(BTW - eight years in; used on bikes, in bars and around the World - and aint even close to letting in water!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Mmmmmmmmm.......... That shiny and sticky look, all over again. The one that that female companions won't go hear cos it might stain, and feels sticky!

Personally I think they look so much better kinda worn in; and waxed off. And I never had a problem with waterproofing even when used as intended.

Free or not; one should wax ones jacket ones self. It is ungentlemanly to do otherwise. It is part of the ownership experience. Getting ones batman to do it is caddish.

(BTW - eight years in; used on bikes, in bars and around the World - and aint even close to letting in water!)
    Can’t say my girlfriend has ever had issue with one of my jackets lol. Plus me, waxing a jacket? I’d no doubt do a terrible job. It’s free, so I’ll let an expert do it.

My 1982 Belstaff is due it's second waxing.
    I did it myself in 2002 when the jacket was 20yr old, and it needs doing again.
    Should I lodge a complaint.

If I can't get the staff at Belstaff to do the complimentary refurb, I will see if I can do it myself again.

Totally disagree! This is precisely why one has a Batman, for these type of jobs. Next you’ll be telling me to polish my own shoes!! Might as well send the poor chap off on gardening leave.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Can’t say my girlfriend has ever had issue with one of my jackets lol. Plus me, waxing a jacket? I’d no doubt do a terrible job. It’s free, so I’ll let an expert do it.
    Did mine a few weeks ago, it looked a right mess, until I went over it with a hair drier and a new shoe brush to work the wax in further.

Craftsman
    I have done a Barbour twice over the last 5 years. It is very easy and I can do a jacket in 30 minutes. Hot hairdryer after application is the trick.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Yeah, if Belstaff did fishing jackets I would consider one. Or at least I would have done 30-odd years ago.
    The modern belstaff's are not as sturdy as they used to be, nor worth the premium these days.

Thanks for all the replies. No it's not leaking, but just thought like we service our watches I should do the same for this jacket. It's the first wax I've had so looking and finding advice. :)

thanks
    Fish

It's free at any Belstaff store. Just got one of mine done. Took about four weeks and they did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    It's free at any Belstaff store. Just got one of mine done. Took about four weeks and they did a decent job.
    I didn’t know it was a free service, but will use this for my Roadmaster and Circuitmaster when the times comes.

Hopefully the Panther is wearing well

Have done my Barbour International 4 times over last 12 years. It’s fairly easy if you melt the wax in the tin in a saucepan of boiling water. Plenty of YouTube videos for guidance and using a hairdryer at the end really helps.

It’s not just about keeping the jacket waterproof as if the waxed cotton dries out, it will crack or breakdown along crease lines.

Craftsman

Belstaff Trailmaster - ReWaxing

My Barbour has worn in nicely in 15 years and leaks a little... but i think it looks so much better... however I’ve split something on it and it’s marked really badly..... Does anyone have experience of how well they can clean at Barbour HQ?

Craftsman
    It is so easy and such a joy to do the waxing yourself. Place jacket on the old garden table, open the wax tin, shoe brush in right hand, hair dryer in left hand, (or hot air gun if you are in a hurry). Melt the top layer of the wax in the tin with the hair dryer, apply with brush and follow the brush with the hairdryer. Apply small amount of wax if you are afraid of the sticky stuff. I usually drown the jacket and pants, as I use them soley for riding my vintage BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I didn’t know it was a free service, but will use this for my Roadmaster and Circuitmaster when the times comes.

Hopefully the Panther is wearing well
    Yeah I was surprised - I got an email and it explained it all. They were happy to replace a zip on my Roadmaster because the ring had come off - they don't have brass zips anymore so I choose to stick with the brass ring I bought off eBay!

The Panther fairs well thanks :)

Journeyman
    Interesting that it includes free repairs.

They were pretty useless when I contacted them about a broken zip 3 years ago saying.......

".....if through one of our authorized resellers you will need to contact the original vendor to see what services they offer as each store offering Belstaff products have their own return and repair policies......"

So I never chased it up. Looks like I'll be getting it done free in the Spring.

Interesting that it includes free repairs.

They were pretty useless when I contacted them about a broken zip 3 years ago saying.......

".....if through one of our authorized resellers you will need to contact the original vendor to see what services they offer as each store offering Belstaff products have their own return and repair policies......"

So I never chased it up. Looks like I'll be getting it done free in the Spring.
    I took mine in for a replacement zip a couple of years ago and they charged me...over £100!

Master
    I don't get wax cotton jackets, I had a Belstaff motorbike jacket in the 80s before they became a fashion brand and that wasn't brilliant at keeping me warm and dry back then.

I did my trusty old (1985) Trialmaster back in the summer .... the usual method, done in the garden in the sunshine with a couple of cold Strongbows to see me through ..... quite an enjoyable, relaxing afternoon :)

A bath first to clean off years of scooter riding and general grubbyness .... more than that really, it was stinking dirty!

Laid out and ready to go

Same with the back

The finished job

A sense of achievement and a nice way to spend a sunny afternoon ....... probably drop it into Belstaff to be done next time though :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I don't get wax cotton jackets, I had a Belstaff motorbike jacket in the 80s before they became a fashion brand and that wasn't brilliant at keeping me warm and dry back then.
    You are correct. They have been superseded and bettered by a country mile. Dunno why anyone would want one......... Obsolete.

Bit like mechanical, watches, funnily enough. No one needs, em.

;-)