closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Pelagos V Omega Seamaster 300m

Master

Tudor Pelagos V Omega Seamaster 300m

Having recently developed an interest in Omega since buying a speedmaster moonwatch I had a look at the newly released seamaster 300m on a rubber strap and was very impressed...so much so I want one. Goldsmiths offered me 13% off without me asking but I’ll probably wait a bit and pick one up second hand. The issue however is I already have a blue Tudor pelagos which I wear on a rubber strap. Are the two watches too similar? Both on rubber, ceramic bezel, helium escape valve equipped dive watch.

What are people’s view on these models? Does one trump the other in terms of quality or they both the same level. I wouldn’t sell my pelagos so if I got a seamaster 300m would they be fighting each other for wrist time?

For reference a pic of my Pelagos and and web pic of the omega.

Master
    I think they’re quite different for watches in the same sector.

The Pelagos is chunky and toolie, the seamaster is soft and more dressy in a 90’s ‘gift for your son’ kind of way.

I have a Pelagos but not the seamaster, they really don’t appeal to me but if they did I’d think they were different enough to own for sure.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Auto over manual HEV any day of the week for me.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I think they’re quite different for watches in the same sector.

The Pelagos is chunky and toolie, the seamaster is soft and more dressy in a 90’s ‘gift for your son’ kind of way.

I have a Pelagos but not the seamaster, they really don’t appeal to me but if they did I’d think they were different enough to own for sure.

My view is also that they are different enough for the same collection...for a start they will be different colours!

How much have people been picking these up for...I was actually shocked that they offered me 13% off without me even trying. 5mins earlier they were telling me how rare they were being a brand new model.

I think they are different enough to be in the same collection
    The Pelagos is matte chunky, toolish and has a fantastic bracelet. (Cr@p rubber though, I think it’s worse than the old style Seiko rubber in the comfort stakes)
    The SM300 is a bit more bling (but not too much), is slimmer and looks a bit more refined, it has an awful looking bracelet IMO but looks great on rubber. I really need to try a SM300 one day. But it’s a bit too similar to my SM300M.

Journeyman
    I've owned a Seamster but not the Pelegos. If I had to chose between the two I would definitely pick the Omega again. It's a much more integrated, and now, classic, instantly recognisable design. The Pelegos just doesn't look anything special to me and the snowflake hands have never appealed to me. But, each to their own. They are certainly different enough to have both however.
    Last edited by Robert189598; 9th December 2018 at 14:22.

Grand Master
    I would never buy on a rubber strap, always buy on the bracelet and pay a little more, better value in the long run. Thats always been the case.

As for the current icarnation of the Seamaster Pro, it’ll gave its fans but pricewise its getting expensive. The designs OK but now looking a bit bloated and clunky compared to the pre-ceramic versions.

Tudor’s OK apart from the snowflake hands, but I guess some folks like them. Can’t see a problem having both in a collection if you like divers.

I’ve had a couple of Pelagos, and still have the COSC version - but I have at least 10 assorted SMP300m’s

They are very different.

For me the SMP, like a Submariner could be worn with anything.

Unlike some, I love the bracelet! In a world of Oyster wannabes I think it’s fantastic and very very comfortable for me.

So SMP no contest, but I’d personally have an older version, as I don’t like or understand the decision to move the date position on what must be their most iconic watch after the Speedy!!!

To add, my biggest issue with the Tudor is the weight - WTF were they thinking, it’s heavier than a 16610 Submariner or 16600 SD and it’s Ti! That just doesn’t add up to me and is a huge fail in the overall execution - I still like the watch though.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 9th December 2018 at 14:43.

Blog Entries
    I am also amazed (stund?) they offered 13% off a new release model. I think they are different enough to be in the same collection. For the seamaster I would get the bracelet which has also been updated with slider clasp. Personally I have one of the seamasters bought when it came to pre-market - being over 50 I bought the two tone which really appealed to me.

The TT bracelet was extortionate so may be getting the steel bracelet later though the black rubber works very well.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th December 2018 at 18:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I am also amazed (stund?) they offered 13% off a new release model. I think they are different enough to be in the same collection. For the seamaster I would get the bracelet which has also been updated with slider clasp. Personally I have one of the seamasters bought when it came to pre-market - being over 50 I bought the two tone which really appealed to me.

The TT bracelet was extortionate so may be getting the steel bracelet later though the black rubber works very well.
    I do quite like your TT one, could be tempted by that too. Think I’d have to try the bracelet on as I didn’t know it had a clasp with the sliding adjustment. How much are the rubber straps to buy?

Yeah, if the are doing 13% discount now then think they will be well below £3k (SS) in a few months in the secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    I do quite like your TT one, could be tempted by that too. Think I’d have to try the bracelet on as I didn’t know it had a clasp with the sliding adjustment. How much are the rubber straps to buy?

Yeah, if the are doing 13% discount now then think they will be well below £3k (SS) in a few months in the secondary market.

Cant really help with that michael. But the clasp works really well as the slots are a angled for safety. I’ll take a punt at £80-£100 for the strap and £60-£80 for the clasp? It’s not deployant.

I’m sure your AD could tell you the MRP for them.

Martyn

Would be the Seamaster for me.

The Pelagos is one of those watches that sound great on paper, but just don't appeal to me in the metal...

That said, I agree with those that say they're quite hard to compare directly, if you do like both.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Apprentice

Red face

Having recently developed an interest in Omega since buying a speedmaster moonwatch I had a look at the newly released seamaster 300m on a rubber strap and was very impressed...so much so I want one. Goldsmiths offered me 13% off without me asking but I’ll probably wait a bit and pick one up second hand. The issue however is I already have a blue Tudor pelagos which I wear on a rubber strap. Are the two watches too similar? Both on rubber, ceramic bezel, helium escape valve equipped dive watch.

What are people’s view on these models? Does one trump the other in terms of quality or they both the same level. I wouldn’t sell my pelagos so if I got a seamaster 300m would they be fighting each other for wrist time?

Like you I have a blue Pelagos (but I keep mine on titanium bracelet) and I picked up my Black Dial Stainless SMP300 last week.

They are both totally different look, so no worries about the similarities!

Not sure how much the rubber strap is from Omega UK but in HK, it's $2000 for the strap and $400 for the buckle, so around £240.

I purchased mine on metal bracelet and will wear it on the rubber when I pick the strap up at xmas time. Why you may ask, well..... the watches at retail are £80 difference but I can assure you a metal strap will cost more than £80 over a rubber from Omega spares!

As to the SMP metal bracelet, I cant say I like it. Doesn't wear as 'light' as a Tudor or Rolex metal, I guess not helped by the sheer width of SMP bracelet. I don't think this is a comment on the SMP but more on Omega.... My 2004 Broad Arrow is just as heavy when on the bracelet.

I did consider the two tone on rubber as well, looks real nice in pics. But until you see them side by side, you don't realise how much more pop the black dial has with the red text and polished stainless details. The two tone just doesn't pop with the gold details.

But as I have always said to my friends just getting started into watches, buy what you like, not what you think others would like!

Last edited by ninjin; 10th December 2018 at 12:53.

Master
    Thanks Ninjin for your comments. I originally was only looking at the SS version, but the two tone version also looks great. Will have to take a closer look to see what it looks like in the flesh. I also get what you are saying about the cost of a stainless steel bracelet v the rubber strap but I know I won’t wear it on the bracelet at all, so can’t see the point in paying the extra for the bracelet and then more £££ for an extra rubber strap. I have the bracelet of my speedy pro sitting in the draw being unused...would this fit on a seamaster?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ninjin for your comments. I originally was only looking at the SS version, but the two tone version also looks great. Will have to take a closer look to see what it looks like in the flesh. I also get what you are saying about the cost of a stainless steel bracelet v the rubber strap but I know I won’t wear it on the bracelet at all, so can’t see the point in paying the extra for the bracelet and then more £££ for an extra rubber strap. I have the bracelet of my speedy pro sitting in the draw being unused...would this fit on a seamaster?

I think the lugs are somewhat different on the new 300m so probably won’t fit. Isn’t the speedy 19mm - the 300m is (I think) 20mm so won’t fit but perhaps worth a try (carefully).

something a bit left-field but you may want to consider this version. Actually looks pretty cool in person

I am sure there will be a LE Bond version out any day soon!

martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th December 2018 at 19:43.

I thought the Speedy Pro was 20mm and FOIS 19mm
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I think the lugs are somewhat different on the new 300m so probably won’t fit. Isn’t the speedy 19mm - the 300m is (I think) 20mm so won’t fit but perhaps worth a try (carefully).

something a bit left-field but you may want to consider this version. Actually looks pretty cool in person

I am sure there will be a LE Bond version out any day soon!

martyn
    That’s a bit out there for me. Your TT is right up my street though, wouldn’t mind seeing a few more pics please.

Apprentice

Not sure about the lug width, I think others will have more input on this.

BUT.... if you are going to get an curved watch strap, it may not fit if its not the one for the model...

My own experience: Wanted to save some money, so bought a replica omega rubber strap from aliexpress, all of US$17 incl del. 20mm and its a rep of the Planet ocean style with deployant clasp.

Watch strap is very nice quality, way beyond the $17 cost.... But it doesn't fit. Because its meant to butt tight up to the case, there is no room for manoeuver and the spring bar holes don't tally up on the strap with the case. I'm confident the problem lies with the different models having different measurements rather than the strap being a cheap knock off!

Blog Entries
    Your TT is right up my street though, wouldn’t mind seeing a few more pics please.

Here you go!

Martyn

Master
    New seamaster all day for me.

Question to anyone that has one can the speedy bracelet be used on the new seamaster ??? ( I hate the seamaster bracelet ).

Master
    Here you go!

Martyn

Managed to have a proper look at this today alongside the black dial SS version. Was very interesting to have them side by side. Overall very impressed with the the TT just edging in front...just has a little something about it. I think for the money it’s decent value, especially when you compare it to a Rolex Sub. Now to move something on from the collection and try and hunt down the omega with a decent discount!!

TTs a belter!