closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Reason and or cure for a hazy sapphire

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,205

    Reason and or cure for a hazy sapphire

    Old omega f300, straight on it looks absolutely fine, but at an sharp angle the dial becomes almost I visible. Just a cloudy haze.


  2. #2
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,278
    Condensation?

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Condensation?
    Possible although doesn't look like condensation I've experienced in the past on watches, and it's permanently like this regardless of temperature etc.

  4. #4
    If it's on the outside, application of something like wax polish should minimise the effect.

  5. #5
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die FuchsrŲhre
    Posts
    12,898
    I had it on the inside of one of my watches, I think it was oil rather than water but I may well be wrong.
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

  6. #6
    Master Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,081
    If it's on the inside it could be oil vapour - a watchperson worth his salt will clean that for a tenner - it's a quick wipe around after the movement is de cased.

    More seriously though, it could flag up need for service and oil change. Some oils give off vapour as they age.

    B

  7. #7
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,389
    I’ve worked on lots of watches over the past few years, some of which were grossly over-oiled, and I’ve never seen anything like this. Oil wouldn’t vapourise and condense like this inside a watch, I can’t see how this is feasible. Lets be clear, the oil used in a watch consists of very small drops applied to the pivots of wheels, it remains in the bearing, it doesn’t float about. When a watch is over-oiled the oil spreads away from where it was applied, but that wouldn’t give rise to generation of oil mist.

    Its a strange one, assuming the haze is on the inner surface and it isn’t water I don’t know what its caused by.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Iíve worked on lots of watches over the past few years, some of which were grossly over-oiled, and Iíve never seen anything like this. Oil wouldnít vapourise and condense like this inside a watch, I canít see how this is feasible. Lets be clear, the oil used in a watch consists of very small drops applied to the pivots of wheels, it remains in the bearing, it doesnít float about. When a watch is over-oiled the oil spreads away from where it was applied, but that wouldnít give rise to generation of oil mist.

    Its a strange one, assuming the haze is on the inner surface and it isnít water I donít know what its caused by.
    It is most certainly something to do with the inner surface (given the cleaning I've done on the exterior). It is due a service anyway if i can find someone who'll get back to me, but i' just rather intrigued. Certainly wasn't this way when I bought it a couple of years ago, and it's neverbeen submerged etc, in fact only worn a handful of times in that period due to it not quite fitting my slim wrist. Love the thing, but have just noticed another reason that makes me want to wear it less :(

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    44
    Would love to see a follow up when it's sorted.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,203
    My guess is that battery acid vapour has etched the underside of the glass at some stage.

    Looking through it straight on doesnít cause enough refraction to be noticeable but looking through at an angle does.

    If that is the card then itíll take a polish with polywatch or similar to remove rather than just a clean.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My guess is that battery acid vapour has etched the underside of the glass at some stage.

    Looking through it straight on doesnít cause enough refraction to be noticeable but looking through at an angle does.

    If that is the card then itíll take a polish with polywatch or similar to remove rather than just a clean.
    Does polywatch work on sapphire?

  12. #12
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Does polywatch work on sapphire?
    Itís an old Omega f300, probably from the seventies so Iím assuming that itís not sapphire. I could be wrong though.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s an old Omega f300, probably from the seventies so I’m assuming that it’s not sapphire. I could be wrong though.
    Okay, I've no knowledge of what it is, just going by thread title!

    Acid etching is a good call though.

  14. #14
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Okay, I've no knowledge of what it is, just going by thread title!
    Whatever it is, my suggestion is that itíll need more than a wipe over with a cloth.

  15. #15
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    2,293
    I have had this on several older quartz models, crown out, movement and dial removed and clean inside film off the crystal, very easy to remove as itís just a cloudy residue that wipes off, not sure why it happens though?

    One of my Tag Heuerís when I first bought it, donít look too bad until you turn it sideways or remove the dial/movement-



    See the misty inner glass after I touched it.



    All cleaned up.


  16. #16
    Master Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,081
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve worked on lots of watches over the past few years, some of which were grossly over-oiled, and I’ve never seen anything like this. Oil wouldn’t vapourise and condense like this inside a watch, I can’t see how this is feasible. Lets be clear, the oil used in a watch consists of very small drops applied to the pivots of wheels, it remains in the bearing, it doesn’t float about. When a watch is over-oiled the oil spreads away from where it was applied, but that wouldn’t give rise to generation of oil mist.

    Its a strange one, assuming the haze is on the inner surface and it isn’t water I don’t know what its caused by.
    It has happened, but not as bad, to two of my seikos that I had serviced in the far east which my UK watchman assured me was due to crap oil being used or that the oil was old.

    Looking at the face straight on there was just a hint of mistiness but side on it was more pronounced.

    I didn't suggest over oiling.

    Of course oil vaporises under specific conditions; with animal/vegetable oil, the lubricant eventually gums up due to natural occurring substances.

    On the other hand synthetic oil literally dries up and evaporates.

    Evaporates - there's the clue.

    B
    Last edited by Brian; Yesterday at 11:38.

  17. #17
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have had this on several older quartz models, crown out, movement and dial removed and clean inside film off the crystal, very easy to remove as itís just a cloudy residue that wipes off, not sure why it happens though?

    One of my Tag Heuerís when I first bought it, donít look too bad until you turn it sideways or remove the dial/movement-



    See the misty inner glass after I touched it.



    All cleaned up.

    Exactly my experience with a couple of my vintage quartz divers, i never found out the cause, but a simple wipe off removed the residue.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s an old Omega f300, probably from the seventies so I’m assuming that it’s not sapphire. I could be wrong though.
    My mistake. It would appear it is mineral glass not sapphire.

    Thanks murkeywaters

  19. #19
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,203
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    My mistake. It would appear it is mineral glass not sapphire.

    Thanks murkeywaters
    Iím glad I appear to be wrong about the vapour etching it too!

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Iím glad I appear to be wrong about the vapour etching it too!
    Now I just have to work out how to take it apart..

  21. #21
    Master IAmATeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    3,412
    I had something similar on my Seiko 5, thought it was pretty strange but you could see the dial perfectly straight on. Back in September I opened it up and gave the inside a clean which sorted it out but until this thread never even thought what it might be. It wasnít moisture or anything like that as I left the watch in an airing cupboard to see if it was moisture related.

  22. #22
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Now I just have to work out how to take it apart..
    I think the back case movement and bezel come out of the main case as a sort of module if I remember correctly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  23. #23
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,389
    One possible cause with quartz watches is a leaking battery.

    As for synthetic oils evaporating the condensing on the inside of the glass, Iíve never seen this happen and I have a couple of watches that havenít been opened up for 10 years.

    If I could turn the clock back 9 yrs to the time when I worked as a devlopment chemist I would have the equipment to test this Ďsynthetic oil evaporationí theory and see what really happens, itís an intriguing question.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •