closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrink the collection...get better watches

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I’m now back up to 15 (although one is with a friend on long-term loan) and I’ve just agreed to buy my first Rolex (which will completely clean me out!).
    If that’s the one I think it is, Congrats! A great watch.

I'm doing the opposite: increasing collection to perhaps 5 or 6, while reducing overall value significantly. Why? Because I do like a bit of variety, but mainly because the law of diminishing returns sets in remarkably quickly, especially with so many unremarkable watches now making as much as a decent used car. There are, quite simply, plenty of watches in the £50-200 range that I'm very happy to own and wear.

I also think that there's a big bubble, and that trading higher value watches, here or elsewhere, is just too risky/too much hassle for me these days. So it's strictly pocket money deals for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    If that’s the one I think it is, Congrats! A great watch.

Master
    Well, this has concentrated my mind; I've set myself the goal of having one watch by January First, 2020. Which gives me just over twelve months to decide on which one I keep. I think I can do this.....
    And I think I can still retain as much interest in watches as a hobby. That's the theory. Anyone out there already done this?
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th December 2018 at 10:30.

Shrink the collection...get better watches

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Getting down to a single watch is still a noble aim; it forces you to choose what really matters. You can still enjoy other watches, just no need to own them.
    After all, quite a few of us enjoy great sports cars, without ever even driving one.
    I hear you Peter, but surely there’s a difference between appreciation and enjoyment. I can appreciate something with no experience of it, but I need first hand experience if something before I can say I’ve enjoyed it.

Getting a bit metaphysical here, aren’t I?! Where’s Bob Frazier when you need him...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 12th December 2018 at 10:41.

Master
    Well, this has concentrated my mind; I've set myself the goal of having one watch by January First, 2020. Which gives me just over twelve months to decide on which one I keep. I think I can do this.....
    And I think I can still retain as much interest in watches as a hobby. That's the theory. Anyone out there already done this?
    What do you currently still own? Did you sell your Daytona a couple of months back?

Oh and what do you see being the only one remaining?

Master

Shrink the collection...get better watches

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    What do you currently still own? Did you sell your Daytona a couple of months back?

Oh and what do you see being the only one remaining?
    For complicated reasons, I still own the 116509 Daytona...although a dealer has offered £1500 more than I asked on SC.
    I also own a DD40, also in white gold. And a Glashutte Original, which I'm already trying to sell.

So ......

I find your rationale bizarre from my own perspective. As a WIS I enjoy choice and having a variety of different watches (even if my tastes seems to veer towards simple 2-3 handers with no dates). This week for example, I dug out my Dreadnought Voyager, having not worn it for months and it hasn't left my wrist all week.

I firmly believe it's worthwhile having a cap on the amount spent, but why one actively wants to set a goal to reduce to one I have no idea. Good luck in your quest - from your posts, you've tried even getting down to 2 and failed to maintain it, so 1 is just pure folly

Master
    I got down to three from twelve....and have maintained that. The only reason for three watches is that it takes time to sell.
    Enjoying a hobby can't be based on how many things you own. I'm interested in modern art, but all I own are some prints.....
    Tim Mosso, of Watchbox, is a true expert. But he sold all his watches except one Sinn. He still loves the hobby.
    So will I.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th December 2018 at 13:50.

If you really wanted to do this, why not 1 January 2019. You have already had the Go and Daytona on SC, leaving the one as the DD....

Would the one really mean “one”, or do you still intend to have a quartz or two as well, on the basis that you have, IIRC, mentioned not counting quartz as part of overall numbers in a collection?

To me having one watch is as strange a concept as only having one pair of shoes!

Master
    Why is the hobby dependent on how many watches you own? Does owning ten watches make you twice as keen as someone with five? And is someone with a single watch automatically not interested in the hobby?
    Is someone with a single car disqualified from being a car enthusiast?
    Anyone interested in the hobby is surely part of the 'community', regardless of ownership,or money spent. It's all about attitude......not possessions. Nice as they are.

Why is the hobby dependent on how many watches you own? Does owning ten watches make you twice as keen as someone with five? And is someone with a single watch automatically not interested in the hobby?
    Anyone interested in the hobby is surely part of the 'community', regardless of ownership,or money spent. It's all about attitude......not possessions. Nice as they are.
    It doesn't matter how many watches you have. You want to cut your collection to one? OK, sell both your PM Rolexes, and get one really properly-good (drop the mic) watch. Maybe a PP perpetual calendar or chronograph. Even better, look at the top-end independents like Roger Smith, FP Journe, Laurent Ferrier, Voutilainen, et al. and own something truly special that you will never ever see in the wild.

Having a couple of mass-produced Rolexes pales by comparison, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    To me having one watch is as strange a concept as only having one pair of shoes!
    That's the best way to explain it, for me. I have a friend who's head of a department at the County Council. He's in charge of at least 15 direct reports, in a department of over 100. He has nice suits, good shoes, shirts, ties etc. but wears a massive Garmin GPS watch with a bright green rubber strap with everything. I cannot convince him that it looks ridiculous. It's like wearing one of his bespoke suits with white trainers. But he won't listen.

I'm sure I could reduce the size of the collection a tad (and I should), but I like having a watch for every outfit and every occasion.

Your initial justification for 'one watch' (or a minimal collection) was to allow you to 'upgrade'. That is wholly independent of what you mention about being an enthusiast/part of a community and you are now muddling through two completely different things. All members here buy what they can afford and no one has ever suggested they are lesser parts of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    It doesn't matter how many watches you have. You want to cut your collection to one? OK, sell both your PM Rolexes, and get one really properly-good (drop the mic) watch. Maybe a PP perpetual calendar or chronograph. Even better, look at the top-end independents like Roger Smith, FP Journe, Laurent Ferrier, Voutilainen, et al. and own something truly special that you will never ever see in the wild.

Having a couple of mass-produced Rolexes pales by comparison, IMO.
    I think you've hot the nail on the head on the whole point. I revert to what a previous poster said about it being like having just 'one pair' of shoes as being my issue with going down this route.

Master
    Storing watches in boxes locked up somewhere holds absolutely zero attraction for me. My definition of appreciating a watch involves wearing it on the wrist, so the question is how many can I own where they would each get sufficient wrist time. For me, that puts a limit of 3* since I'd want to wear them all at least a couple of times each week.

I'm sure you can retain as much interest in watches only owning one, but I think you would have more fun owning a couple more!

* excluding my G Shock :)

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Storing watches in boxes locked up somewhere holds absolutely zero attraction for me. My definition of appreciating a watch involves wearing it on the wrist, so the question is how many can I own where they would each get sufficient wrist time. For me, that puts a limit of 3* since I'd want to wear them all at least a couple of times each week.

I'm sure you can retain as much interest in watches only owning one, but I think you would have more fun owning a couple more!

* excluding my G Shock :)
    That sounds very sensible - I’m just stuck on which watches I would have to give up to achieve something close. The devil on one shoulder always ask why limit yourself to X number though.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm happy to wear a watch a couple of times a year if it gives me pleasure when I do.

I'd agree that, for the most part, people who are welcomed for their interest, not the number or value of watches they own.

One oddball, cheapy can be far more interesting than a dozen platinum Daytonas.

If someone really aspires to own one really expensive watch at the cost of any other, good luck to them, but it's not noble or worthy, it's simply their preference.

I can appreciate beautiful yachts, but I don't one or even desire to do so...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Question is WHY do you want to go down to just one watch. What is your real motivation?

I understand reducing the collection to a manageable number that you can reasonably rotate through, and already said I have too many, but I couldn’t go down to one, as sometimes get a bit bored and want a change.

Blog Entries
    Why stop at one? You could sell all your watches and still have an appreciation of them without ownership. There is no need to own a watch to tell the time these days. We are anachronistic.

M

What drives watch prices? desirability

If you sell all the watches you have chosen for yourself because they appealed to you, and buy one "better" watch, then you have traded in your own tastes for the market's average of everyone else's tastes.

As a route to happiness, this looks like rubbish.

Master
    Just two watches - a GO ‘cos it looks nice and easy to read and a DJ for all weather.Don’t need a sports as I don’t do any.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Just two watches - a GO ‘cos it looks nice and easy to read and a DJ for all weather.Don’t need a sports as I don’t do any.
    That's a good combination.......and the DJ is , in fact, more than able to handle 'sports' stuff, if you got a rush of blood to the head.

That's a good combination.......and the DJ is , in fact, more than able to handle 'sports' stuff, if you got a rush of blood to the head.
    I have a Seiko SKX013 as a beater/work watch, and a DateJust 116234 silver dial for weekends/evenings etc. That pair does me fine. Thinking about a Tudor BB58 or GMT for some variety but can’t summon the desire to spent the money tbh.

Grail is a Day-Date 118238 or Lange 1815 Up/Down, but they’re a long way off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I have a Seiko SKX013 as a beater/work watch, and a DateJust 116234 silver dial for weekends/evenings etc. That pair does me fine. Thinking about a Tudor BB58 or GMT for some variety but can’t summon the desire to spent the money tbh.

Weren’t you up for PP’s at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Weren’t you up for PP’s at one time?
    On the lower slopes of PP, yes. But a change of priorities - life and other hobbies - means I’m not going to that level with watches again unless I can easily afford to.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post

Very similar tastes to mine apart from I have a Casio gw5000 as well. Ideally I’m aiming for 5 so a chronograph and a dress watch to be added. But a day-date or Langematik would be an amazing addition if I won the lottery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I've been a long term lurker here but this thread has piqued my interest.

I've been collecting watches for several years and bought and sold many (some with major regret). I started to work to a one in one out policy but soon found that it was hard to let go of the few that I really treasured. Right now I think I have about 8-9 from a Seiko SKX007 to a A Lange Sohne Lange 1 so they really do vary. In my eyes there's no such thing as better as its a personal opinion but I found myself appreciating the incredible finishing on some of the likes of ALS, AP, Patek etc. The Lange 1 is a work of art and I worked up to buying one.

Recently I've also started to consider whether I should consolidate and have 2-3 pieces that I really admire or whether to just keep collecting with no regrets. There are certainly watches I don't wear often enough and I think that suggests its time to go, but for those with real purpose they will be there forever I imagine.

'Life's too short, eat dessert'

Craftsman
    I plan to consolidate next year but it’s going to be tough to decide which watches to move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I plan to consolidate next year but it’s going to be tough to decide which watches to move on!
    I contributed earlier to this thread because my inclination was to challenge the basic premise behind the OP’s initial post.

I have realised, though, that my own collection has crept up in numbers this year to the point where several of my watches may now be superfluous. If I don’t wear them I don’t want to keep them, and in consequence I too may be due to start something of a cull shortly.

No-one will ever agree on the ‘ideal number’, simply because we all have our own unique thought processes. I know that 9-12 suits me very well, but 16 (where I am now) is too many.

Bluntly, I’m also aware that two days ago I spent my entire reserves on a single watch, and I’m uncomfortable being quite so financially exposed - so that’s a further reason to do something!

Simon

Master
    You clearly love your new Deepsea; that's perhaps the ideal 'core' piece of a smaller collection. Who knows, you might enjoy it. As an architect once famously remarked :'less is more.'

Craftsman
    I recently did just this, cleared out a few lower end pieces as I wasn't really wearing them and put the money toward something else. I am happy with this decision but I can't shake the feeling the collection will end up swelling again - I'm kind of missing an SKX which is something I never thought I'd say!

Craftsman
    I've been a one watch man for 18 months now. Tudor Black Bay 41. I still think it has a perfect dial. I might buy another next year, but it's hard to beat.

It might have to wait until I can afford a VC Overseas or GP Laureato

Journeyman
    That's my way of looking at it. Reducing a big collection down to two or three watches, can be good for the soul. What's more, you can afford (arguably) better models. But most important of all....
    You have to decide what aspects of a watch you really care about. So, three watch maximum. Two is better.
    And there will be a few brave souls who decide to shrink to one watch. My heroes.
    totally agree here. I have been shrinking my collection and tried to focus more on more serious pieces. At the same though, you want some variety, as even the best rolex will wear boring after a while...