closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the Collection

State of the Collection

I'm finally back at my second home after quite an eventful time - so I've got most of the watches I have over here out, along with a few new arrivals (thank you to forum members), to decide which rotations I want available for Christmas/New Year etc, before I put the rest back in the safe.

I'll probably be looking at some serious consolidation next year, as I didn't do very well on my plans to do that this year! I will take a very critical look and decide if it's appropriate to swap overall numbers for some more special/and or expensive pieces; hopefully that will have a huge effect on overall numbers, as I'm running out of space everywhere with all the bloody boxes!

A few Rolex

Space for a new BB GMT??

Two-Tone & Speedies for us old folks

Some of the Omega Divers - the rest of the SMP300M's are still in the safe

A few favourites - I'm loving the 60th Anniversary Railmaster and Seamaster

Odds & Sods

Some of the quartz
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I can't help thinking how difficult it would be to build that collection from scratch in the current climate.

Is that a Ventura automatic digital in the bottom pic? I've always been intrigued by those.

Craftsman
    Wow! That's an incredible collection.

Craftsman
    Stunning collection. Which was also my thought when I presumed it ended at the Rolex box! Incredibly versatile with all needs covered. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I can't help thinking how difficult it would be to build that collection from scratch in the current climate.

Is that a Ventura automatic digital in the bottom pic? I've always been intrigued by those.
    I wouldn't even contemplate building up a sizeable collection at the moment, but it's been slowly added to or evolved over 25 years, so a little different to starting from scratch over a short period.

Yes, it's a Ventura built (but called the BMW "Z" watch, due to the closing mechanism) I just love it! I have a couple of the non-Z watch versions too. It won a red dot design award.

Craftsman
    Fantastic collection!

What's sitting below the Natilus?

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Stunning collection. Which was also my thought when I presumed it ended at the Rolex box! Incredibly versatile with all needs covered. Awesome.
    I did have a lot more Rolex, around 26 at one stage - but I sold a lot of them off in two stages to clear the mortgage. Probably would have been a better financial move to have kept them - but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Fantastic collection!

What's sitting below the Natilus?

Glashutte Original PanoInverse - thanks to the forum :)

I had a Pano but the XL Moonphase and always wanted the PanoInverse. I've sold all Moonphase watches - I have no need/want for the feature, as nice as it looks on some watches.

Master
    Not sure you have enough watches chap 😂

Mightily impressive, even with the long timeline. Consolidation though could get you some serious haute horologe. If I have a criticism it'd be that the collection is dominated by the usual suspect brands. Maybe consolidation could mean a few unconventional brands or independents?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Not sure you have enough watches chap 
    Most of the “keepers” or unworn watches are on the other side of the world. Worryingly, I’m missing another Ploprof and a Black Bay from what I thought were in the same safes as most of these - but they are hopefully safely locked away with the SMP300’s.

Awesome collection. Should be easy to whittle down though. I’m sure the ones you keep will be more than enough to keep you happy . Thanks for sharing

Craftsman
    I agree with Crazyp. A very impressive collection I love the glashutte. If it were me I'd look at consolidating and getting a high end independent such as Laurent ferrier, FP Journe or Kari Voutilainen or even something completely different like a Sarpaneva.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 7th December 2018 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Mightily impressive, even with the long timeline. Consolidation though could get you some serious haute horologe. If I have a criticism it'd be that the collection is dominated by the usual suspect brands. Maybe consolidation could mean a few unconventional brands or independents?
    That’s true, it is weighted - but I’ve tried out virtually every (most) brands, and come back to the same ones.

I dont want to go too expensive on single watches, but I miss my old 50th anniversary Blancpain - so maybe a Fifty Fathoms at some stage. I like a couple of AP’s, but I’m sticking with Patek for my fill of that “Genta” style.

I’d love a Pepsi and BLNR GMT’s, but not at used prices.

Since one of the local Rolex AD’s closed I have no ongoing relationship - and none of the others seems interested in my ongoing mid/long term business - which I guess is shortsighted of them, but they probably just see another guy/chancer in a pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I agree with Crazyp. A very impressive collection I love the glashutte. If it were me I'd look at consolidating and getting a high end independent such as Laurent ferrier, FP Journe or Kari Voutilanen or even something completely different like a Sarpeneva.
    No thank you. I have no interest in anything like that, with the exception of maybe a Moser. I just have much more simple tastes and likes in watches. Rolex and Omega are part of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    That’s true, it is weighted - but I’ve tried out virtually every (most) brands, and come back to the same ones.

I dont want to go too expensive on single watches, but I miss my old 50th anniversary Blancpain - so maybe a Fifty Fathoms at some stage. I like a couple of AP’s, but I’m sticking with Patek for my fill of that “Genta” style.

I’d love a Pepsi and BLNR GMT’s, but not at used prices.

Since one of the local Rolex AD’s closed I have no ongoing relationship - and none of the others seems interested in my ongoing mid/long term business - which I guess is shortsighted of them, but they probably just see another guy/chancer in a pair of jeans.
    I think this is a fair point. The Nautilus street value would make me wary wearing it - does it get much wrist time?

I also accept your point of 'knowing what you like' - but consolidation would simply mean freeing cash? Though at the moment, better off just keeping the Rolex in a safe with the way things are.

I think I remember you selling a lot off.. seem to have grown again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I thought I had too many!

Nice collection though.

Daytona still on the wrist then? 😉
    Gray

Master

Yes, it's a Ventura built (but called the BMW "Z" watch, due to the closing mechanism) I just love it! I have a couple of the non-Z watch versions too. It won a red dot design award.
    Ah yes I think it was that exact model that got me looking at them - think it had a BMW logo on the rotor? Neat concept. Never seen one in the flesh though.

Master
    Thanks for sharing sir. What a collection and great you're sticking to what you like.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think this is a fair point. The Nautilus street value would make me wary wearing it - does it get much wrist time?

I also accept your point of 'knowing what you like' - but consolidation would simply mean freeing cash? Though at the moment, better off just keeping the Rolex in a safe with the way things are.
    The Patek I wear it quite a lot, especially when I’m travelling. I’m waiting for my place in the 5167 que, which should be sometime in 2019 :)

Consolidation would probably be selling 2-3 watches of 2-3k and buying 1. I’m not sure there are any Rolex I’d want to sell, Ive done that before and regretted it - I miss having all my different dial 16600’s, the other 16610LV’s and 14060’s for example.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I think I remember you selling a lot off.. seem to have grown again!

I started talking about the sell off for the mortgage in 2012, and managed to do most of it from the following year I think from memory, so it’s been slowly building back up for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Daytona still on the wrist then? 
    Oh yes, just brought it back over with me as I was missing wearing it, and like the Patek it doesn’t get worn at the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Ah yes I think it was that exact model that got me looking at them - think it had a BMW logo on the rotor? Neat concept. Never seen one in the flesh though.
    Yes, BMW on the rotor. I was after one for a long time. It’s one of the very few watches I’ve been bought - an ex managed to track one down; she is still a good friend and I’ll catch up with her in town for a cuppa over the weekend - she will be wearing either a Seamaster Bond, or an Explorer :)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Thanks for sharing sir. What a collection and great you're sticking to what you like.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    Cheers - have a great weekend!

Master
    Super collection and nice to see some diversity.

Blog Entries
    How do you wear them all? Do you have a rota?

Very impressive, congrats and enjoy it in good health.

What a great collection! Very similar in taste to me. But I too would love to know how many you wear and how you set a rota or choose?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    How do you wear them all? Do you have a rota?
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    What a great collection! Very similar in taste to me. But I too would love to know how many you wear and how you set a rota or choose?

I set aside 11 in two boxes and 1 on my wrist, so around 12 watches at a time - but maybe 6 of those will never change and will always be in any rotation.

but... I generally just grab whatever watch of those I have out depending on how I feel on a particular day. Some months I just end up wearing one watch a lot more than others.

Id love to get down to around 10-12 really nice watches.

Journeyman
    I wouldn't mind an 'odds n sods' box like that. , outstanding collection. Thank you

Journeyman
    Great and varied collection of some lovely watches.

Sent from my Mi A1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Jesus Christ, i'm speechless (apologies for my blasphemy to those who follow the word of the lord).

Your watch boxes probably cost more than my whole collection.

Good to see a couple of G Shocks in there though.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 7th December 2018 at 19:29.

Some collection, indeed!

In an ideal (thief-free) world - worthy of a display case.

(actually - looks like Laing’s window)
    Last edited by blackal; 7th December 2018 at 19:30.

Craftsman
    P.s. you have a space in your Tudor box for something. Maybe a GMT?

Master
    Most of the “keepers” or unworn watches are on the other side of the world. Worryingly, I’m missing another Ploprof and a Black Bay from what I thought were in the same safes as most of these - but they are hopefully safely locked away with the SMP300’s.
    There are more! My wife moans at me having 4!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Incredible collection.

I started to add it up but gave up after a couple of scroll downs ....

Hope you have a good safe.

Master
    Wow stunning collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Incredible collection.

Me too.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 8th December 2018 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Incredible collection.

Very good safes, and more importantly not onsite.

- I'm sure they are all fake anyway ;)

Master
    Thanks for posting. I thought that my collection was excessive, I now feel much better about it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What a fantastic collection!

Wow great collection! No doubt there will be a queue of buys should you look at consolidating next year.

Fantastic. Any chance you use a watchwinder when on rota?

Love the WG Daytona!!

Craftsman
    That is just phenomenal!

And I’m in the wrong job! Lol

Let me know if you ever decide to let the Ploprof go!

very impressive- like others, i thought the first box was the whole thing!

Craftsman
    Wow, what a fabulous collection

Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Fantastic. Any chance you use a watchwinder when on rota?

Love the WG Daytona!!
    Watchwinder? No, never - I don’t own a perpetual calendar, so there is no need/point imho.

I love the WG Daytona. I’ve had a few steel Daytona’s over the years, but they never stayed that long; the WG just feels and looks right to me. It was a huge commitment at the time and, prior to the Patek, the most if ever spent on a watch. I’ve worn it to the gym, mountain biking, travelling (including Brasil - which I probably wouldn’t do again now I’m older and slower lol). It would make a very good only watch imo.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 8th December 2018 at 07:32.

Journeyman
    WOW! What an amazing collection and really great to see that you wear them all too, good on you, enjoy in good health.. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading through this thread on a cold raining Saturday morning👍

Craftsman
    Watchwinder? No, never - I don’t own a perpetual calendar, so there is no need/point imho.
    Amazing collection, wear in good health.

Maybe a perpetual calendar could be purchased after the consolidation?

Blimey - some lovely stuff there, Scott. I look forward to seeing it in the metal

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Amazing collection, wear in good health.

Maybe a perpetual calendar could be purchased after the consolidation?
    I still doubt I'd buy a perpetual or a winder. A Rolex or Omega Annual calendar would be a nice edition though :)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Blimey - some lovely stuff there, Scott. I look forward to seeing it in the metal
    Like I said, Tony - look forward to seeing you over here and showing you a few of the roads. There are a few places for cooked breakfasts too :)

Good work there Scott. I like your taste. I can see why you might want to offload a few though :)) :

What's the funny square round thing, top left, bottom picture?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.