closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small tripod substitute

Small tripod substitute

I have a small dilemma with regard to a video-conferencing setup I'm trying to finish. We use a Logitech Group system and the (very cheap) AV trolley has the camera shelf at the wrong height (it's not adjustable). Photos below

I need something to raise the camera between 12-15cm (there's a bit of leeway here as I can lower or raise the height of the monitor. The camera has a standard tripod female thread and articulates which means that a conventional mini-tripod is not steady enough (the fact that they are normally designed for static shots with small point-and-shoot cameras doesn't help in this regard). Ideally a small, nice and heavy MDF cube with a bolt sticking out of the top might fit the bill but I don't have either the time or facility to make one. Can anybody offer an example of some kind of mount that would raise the camera by the desired amount and be absolutely solid?
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

Journeyman
    We do something very similar at work. We’ve found that most small tripods are too unstable but GorillaPods are better. Because the legs don’t extend they seem to be inherently stable and about the right height for your needs. Hope that helps.

Master
    I think this might be designed for the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LX4G2..._kUJcCb19Y5QWC

Failing that, I find one of these can do the trick.

I'd also suggest a GorillaPod. You can bend and splay the legs to whatever height you need, I often attach mine (with a DSLR attached) to railings, street signs etc. They aren't expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I think this might be designed for the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LX4G2..._kUJcCb19Y5QWC

Failing that, I find one of these can do the trick.

Thanks - I have one of those but it's not high enough (although I will have another play with it later). We're using a cardboard box at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'd also suggest a GorillaPod. You can bend and splay the legs to whatever height you need, I often attach mine (with a DSLR attached) to railings, street signs etc. They aren't expensive.
    I've got one of those - it's too wobbly.

Thanks for the answers so far.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 7th December 2018 at 11:07.

Telephone books. Mind you, you might have to travel back in time to get the right ones.
    “All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.”

Surprised your Gorillapod is wobbly. Mine’s @ 250mm folded up and for the height you need makes an equilateral base triangle of @ 300mm, wobble free. You could always blutac the feet. I think Joby, who make the Gorillapod make a range of supports, could be worth a look.

Master
    I think the problem is that the camera is quite a heavy moving mass as it pans around.

How about one of those rigid camera mounts that clamps onto a car roll bar? Could that clamp to one of the vertical bars?

Problem solved. You're welcome.

Serious answer, I think that a small rostrum/copy stand will be much more stable than a tripod, provided that the base will fit onto your existing shelf. It might need a bit of bracket modification to allow a horizontal rather than vertical mount, but I'm thinking along the lines of something like this:

https://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/cs-320...ax-height.html

Hide clamp

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/opticr...iABEgIX3_D_BwE

Manfrotto also make one

dunk
    "… but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Thank you all for the helpful contributions. I've gone with this for the time being:

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I've reduced the height of the monitor and I'll see what the feedback is - I have a feeling that it might be a bit low but there's nowt as queer as users. If we need to go higher then a hide clamp is the preferred alternative.