closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Datejust Advice - Second Hand Potential Purchase

Craftsman

Rolex Datejust Advice - Second Hand Potential Purchase

Hi guys,

Could those of you who know a thing or two about Rolexes give me your opinion on the watch in the link below please?

My dad owns the same watch and I’d like one for myself now. I’m no expert and even less so when it comes to a second hand purchase so any advice on the company/price/condition/anything else to consider would be much appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.sandersonandson.com/52419.shtml
    Last edited by MTM84; 7th December 2018 at 18:18.

Pretty sure if it has holes in the lug it shouldn’t have a sapphire crystal it should be acrylic. Also £4K with no box and papers is a bit steep.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I did wonder about the price but most I’ve looked at online are around a similar price point for the condition.

I was unsure about the crystal - not sure if it’s something to be concerned about though?

Grand Master
    I’ve dealt with Gary Sanderson before, he’s absolutely sound and I wouldn’t question the quality of what he sells.....but he certainly doesn’t underprice his stock!

As for this watch, it’s a model I like, but not with the diamond dial! Best dial combination for this is either silver dial or white, I’m not a fan of the champagne/gold combination.

Also suggest contacting Haywood Milton if you’re looking for one of these.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    Pretty sure if it has holes in the lug it shouldn’t have a sapphire crystal it should be acrylic.
    This is incorrect. The sapphire glass 16233 was produced with pierced lugs until the late 1990s.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 7th December 2018 at 00:18.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    This is incorrect. The sapphire glass 16233 was produce with pierced lugs until the late 1990s.
    Note to OP: Haywood knows what he’s talking about re. Rolex.........maybe Jamie should stick to cutting hair!

This highlights one of the weaknesses of the internet, people come out with statements without being certain of the facts.

Master
    It would be useful to see a photo of the bracelet stretch ...

(NOT Sanderson's watch.)
    Last edited by Tinker; 7th December 2018 at 00:46.

Master
    For me, the watch is much too over-restored:

(Sanderson's image.)

Craftsman
    Seems expensive, I would rather be looking for a new model at this price . As already mentioned, the bracelet quality is key here, as he mentions some stretch in the add, I would be fearing the worse.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    For me, the watch is much too over-restored:

(Sanderson's image.)
    ???????The watch has been carefully repolished, can`t see a problem with this myself! What do you expect to see, a scratched battered example?

The amount of metal removed when a watch is repolished properly is miniscule, I speak as one who's refinished these cases myself!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback guys...food for thought!

Master
    "serviced by ourselves" means factor in a potential service done properly at Rolex within a year or two...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    "serviced by ourselves" means factor in a potential service done properly at Rolex within a year or two...
    +1......there’s a good reason why I won’t work on Rolex, I can sum it up in 4 words: lack of parts availability.

I would strongly advise you to buy this instead. A brand-new OP39, utterly superb watch and I can't recommend it strongly enough. Way better than a shagged-out DateJust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6Yp7FV_6o

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I would strongly advise you to buy this instead. A brand-new OP39, utterly superb watch and I can't recommend it strongly enough. Way better than a shagged-out DateJust.

You may well be right but I’m not keen on the looks if I’m being honest.

Yep. The OP39 in black would be the one for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep. The OP39 in black would be the one for me.
    I absolutely love the new black dial version in the video. Incredible bang for the buck, and I love the blue one I own as well, it's certainly the most accurate watch I have, within a second a day.

The black could well be an "only watch" - if such a thing is your thing. Simple, no BS Rolex. Very hard to argue with, as long as you like the the classic Rolex Oyster shape. In many ways a very unassuming watch for people who dislike some of the new direction Rolex have taken with the fat cases, and who wouldn't dream of paying ludicrous premiums for an unotainium and oddly-bloated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    This is incorrect. The sapphire glass 16233 was produced with pierced lugs until the late 1990s.
    I stand corrected! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Note to OP: Haywood knows what he’s talking about re. Rolex.........maybe Jamie should stick to cutting hair!

This highlights one of the weaknesses of the internet, people come out with statements without being certain of the facts.
    Hey, I stand corrected! Everyday is a school day..

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Also £4K with no box and papers is a bit steep.

Evidently not. Just clicked on and it’s sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    There’s always an idiot who will over pay 🤷🏼*♂️

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    There’s always an idiot who will over pay 路*♂️

There’s probably lots of people who think that it’s a fair price when a new one is £9000. Most laymen don’t know the difference in movements, case shape, diamonds and bracelets. They just see a watch they like, and compared to a new one see a bargain.

This doesn’t make them an idiot.

Master
    ???????The watch has been carefully repolished, can`t see a problem with this myself! What do you expect to see, a scratched battered example?

The amount of metal removed when a watch is repolished properly is miniscule, I speak as one who's refinished these cases myself!
    I'm sure your work is excellent. On a gold IWC I went to Sanderson's to see, however, repolishing had removed most of one hallmark and part of another.

Last edited by Tinker; 17th December 2018 at 23:53.

Craftsman

But it’s great to have a good laugh at their ill researched statements and or advice while they put themselves up for ridicule ..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I'm sure your work is excellent. On a gold IWC I went to Sanderson's to see, however, repolishing had removed most of one hallmark and part of another.

Refinishing/polishing is often a compromise, sometimes detail /sharpness has to be lost in order to get rid of damage. Over the past few years it’s almost becoming fashionable to have scratched battered watches because they’re ‘original’, but a watch thats coveted in scratches and marks looks nothing like it did originally!

Depending where a hallmark is placed, it could end up being unreadable after polishing, but who’s to say it was legible before the work? Gold is soft, and some parts of the case will wear over many years, particularly if rubbing against a cuff.

The ideal watch for me is one that’s only ever picked up light scratches that have been carefully removed by light careful refinishing, meaning the watch looks essentially like it did when originally sold.

The problem with Rolex Oyster cases is the fact they’re relatively easy to refinish.......badly! The end result may look OK at a glance but careful inspection shows the edges to have become ‘soft’ and the lugs to be noticably thinner. Usually such a watch will have the peaks polished off the fluted bezel too. Comparing such a watch to a good one is like comparing ordinary TV to HD........at a glance you can tell thst everything’s much sharper on the good one.

The obly way to get better at evaluating watches is by evaluating watches, you need to get out there and handle them. In this internet age its easy to overlook this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    But it’s great to have a good laugh at their ill researched statements and or advice while they put themselves up for ridicule ..
    Sounds like you really know how to enjoy yourself!

There’s probably lots of people who think that it’s a fair price when a new one is £9000. Most laymen don’t know the difference in movements, case shape, diamonds and bracelets. They just see a watch they like, and compared to a new one see a bargain.

This doesn’t make them an idiot.
    Have a day off mate.

Just because it sold on the website doesn’t mean it actually sold for £4000.. it’s an asking price not set in stone!

Just because it sold on the website doesn’t mean it actually sold for £4000.. it’s an asking price not set in stone!

You're right, it could have gone for over asking.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're right, it could have gone for over asking.
    I doubt that very much.