closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Value for money?

Craftsman

IWC Value for money?

Are IWC Pilot's value for money, I've always fancied the mkXII and XV, but they dont offer much visually from my Sinn and Damasko Pilots.

What do they do to their watches to justify the high price, or is it all just marketing hype and street presence? :shock:

Perhaps I should just wait for Eddies SB3 :wink:

Re: IWC Value for money?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear
    Yes.

:)

They are great watches - very clean and well made, and they have a great image. (Or rather, the older ones do. Some of the newer designs (Top Gun chrono?) seem intent on pissing on their heritage!) The bracelets, in particular, are a thing of beauty. I miss my IWC UTC. :cry:

If you've got a non-chrono Damasko, then you're probably better off buying a SB3 - I don't think a Mk XVI, for example, will do anything new for you. :)

Journeyman
    If you've got a non-chrono Damasko, then you're probably better off buying a SB3 - I don't think a Mk XVI, for example, will do anything new for you.
    Agreed! Bought 2 SBII frin Eddie in 2004. To date, they are more bang for money than my MKXV or XVI and at 1/6 of the IWC Price. Cannot ask for more. :D

Now is to wait for the launch of the SBIII. Hopefully with the crown found in SBI :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Yes.

:)

They are great watches - very clean and well made, and they have a great image. (Or rather, the older ones do. Some of the newer designs (Top Gun chrono?) seem intent on pissing on their heritage!) The bracelets, in particular, are a thing of beauty. I miss my IWC UTC. :cry:

If you've got a non-chrono Damasko, then you're probably better off buying a SB3 - I don't think a Mk XVI, for example, will do anything new for you. :)
    I agree. Pre-Richemont IWC´s are the dogs bollocks, not so sure about the stuff since the luxury giant took a hold of what used to be IWC. I will put my money on SB3 but you cant have my 3536-001 Aquatimer :D

VFM is in the wallet of the beholder...but make sure you try one on before buying. I saw the IWC range recently in a shop window and was surprised at the relatively small size of the pilot watches. They did look beautifully made though, but so does every watch above £1000. If Eddie gets it right, the SB3 will be the one for me.

Are IWC Pilot's value for money, I've always fancied the mkII and XI, but they dont offer much visually from my Sinn and Damasko Pilots.

What do they do to their watches to justify the high price, or is it all just marketing hype and street presence? :shock:

Visually?

Forget visually!

I assume you have the DA37 ... well, you have the best pilots money can buy. An easy to service movement (anywhere in the world). Antimagnetic. Easy to read dial, and a case hardness that more or less guarantees the looks for a long time. A twenty year old IWC will look like a twenty year old IWC. Unless you want the IWC logo on the dial and the upgraded movement there is no reason to have an IWC.

In as few words as possible, the IWC is an old product ... the Damasko is a new product. If Konrad manages to put a movement in production (which he is trying to) it will overshadow everything IWC stands for today. What I don't understand is why he is looking at making a chrono first, instead of a time only.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    If Konrad manages to put a movement in production (which he is trying to) it will overshadow everything IWC stands for today. What I don't understand is why he is looking at making a chrono first, instead of a time only.

john
    I think it´s well proven that the man is a technician first and a wise business man second. I hope the apparent lack of customer orientation and so-so long term thinking what comes to business strategy wont mine their future endeavors. The product is good, yes. But it´s not the only thing that counts.

I spoke with Konrad this afternoon and we discussed the possibility (probability?) of him making his own movement. If he does it the way he said he plans, then it will equal or surpass anything currently coming out of Switzerland at twice the price.

Interestingly, he said that the cost of developing and bringing a new movement to market was a minimum of 3 million euros so you can see that if he does it, he's not playing at it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Interestingly, he said that the cost of developing and bringing a new movement to market was a minimum of 3 million euros so you can see that if he does it, he's not playing at it.

Eddie
    Which is double what it was back in 2002-2003. I remember you quoting the figure to Ming.

It would be interesting to see if the said movement will be made to be also sold to other makers or just for his own use. If it will be only for his own use, it will also be too expensive for many of us.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Eddie
    Which is double what it was back in 2002-2003. I remember you quoting the figure to Ming.

It would be interesting to see if the said movement will be made to be also sold to other makers or just for his own use. If it will be only for his own use, it will also be too expensive for many of us.

john
    Based on the little information he did divulge, I reckon that the DA36 would cost a minimum of £600 with his new movement. So, guys and gals, buy your DA36 NOW!

Sorry, forgot that there aren't any to be had. :(

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

slightly OT, but did Mr. Damasko mention anything of a bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel C
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

[quote=Dave E]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Onkel C":29ipyfba
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:29ipyfba]

:roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Ssshhhhhh Dont mention the fekin bracelet :shock:

You will set all the Damasko bashers off again and ruin the resale values :evil:

Thomas Reid
    Ssshhhhhh Dont mention the fekin bracelet :shock:

You will set all the Damasko bashers off again and ruin the resale values :evil:
    Don't mention the bracelet. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it. So it's all forgotten now and let's hear no more about it. So that's two egg mayonnaise, a patented crown, an ice hardened case and some Viton gaskets....no, wait a minute...I got confused because everyone keeps mentioning the bracelet.
    Best wishes,
    Bob

:D

Eddie
    You would need to sell a lot of movements to get a sensible return on that investment. You'd need to sell a lot just to get your money back.

I assume the ?3m figure includes tools & machinery for manufacture. Do you know how many movements per year could be made? It might be very nice if there were some movements available to, er, small independent watch makers.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

Eddie
    You would need to sell a lot of movements to get a sensible return on that investment. You'd need to sell a lot just to get your money back.

I assume the ?3m figure includes tools & machinery for manufacture. Do you know how many movements per year could be made? It might be very nice if there were some movements available to, er, small independent watch makers.
    At the moment it's just a plan, I don't know whether he intends to get a partner.

Eddie

Based on the little information he did divulge, I reckon that the DA36 would cost a minimum of £600 with his new movement. So, guys and gals, buy your DA36 NOW!

Sorry, forgot that there aren't any to be had. :(

Eddie
    Wow! Anything under £1K with a propriety movement would be a snip. Mr Damasko has a great eye for engineering, if he designs it from the bottom up, we could be in for a visual treat. Put me down for the first DA37 that rolls off the line.

I wonder if he is still considering the ?external? rotor??

As long as I still have the 66 you are fine. :wink:

john

Apprentice

I tried to start a discussion here ......

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php? t=msg&goto=2863673&rid=7907#msg_2863673

... but there were no takers.

It was here where it got going :wink:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=68632

Wow! Anything under £1K with a propriety movement would be a snip.
    I'll say..... Sounds very interesting. :twisted:

Re: I tried to start a discussion here ......

Quote Originally Posted by frankier
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php? t=msg&goto=2863673&rid=7907#msg_2863673

... but there were no takers.

It was here where it got going :wink:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=68632
    I must make clear that all the comments I made in this thread relate to the time-only models (from Damasko and IWC) and not the chronos. Chronos (as in the links you have offered) have their own and slightly different parameters.

john

Getting back to the subject IMHO IWC´s offer value for money though I would advise on going for the pre Richemont era stuff. Also note that purists do not consider the IWC modified ETA movements that are on many models (like Aquatimers) "true" IWC´s. This can be seen on the pricing: those models with genuine in-house IWC movements are priced higher than those with the ETA derived movements. Either way you get (in most cases, uh, the blasphemy of "Top-Gun") good value for money what comes to resale value (not Rolex like though) and one of the best CQ in the biz.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post
    Are IWC Pilot's value for money, I've always fancied the mkXII and XV, but they dont offer much visually from my Sinn and Damasko Pilots.

The mark xii has a very nice modified JLC movement beating inside

I’ve been on the hunt for a 3713 Rattrapante chronograph, seems good value to me compared to some overinflated prices of other brands.... but seemingly difficult to find full sets

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the older IWC's are really superb. Pilots watches up to the Mark xv. Not so todays' offerings.

This is my Mark xii

Best of all in my opinion is the Mark xi

1948 Mark xi

Then there's the 1945 WWW IWC, also known as the Mark X:

If you like big. Mark 1 Big Pilot:

Master

Indeed,superb watches all.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I think the older IWC's are really superb. Pilots watches up to the Mark xv. Not so todays' offerings.

This is my Mark xii

Best of all in my opinion is the Mark xi

1948 Mark xi

Then there's the 1945 WWW IWC, also known as the Mark X:

If you like big. Mark 1 Big Pilot:

I’ve just been reading about the pilot mark series...
    Think the early mk xII would be too small at 36mm but respect the watches history and movement.

I like the xv which is a little larger and has the dagger hands and at least an IWC movement.

With regards to the big pilot .... is it a comfortable watch to wear ? The crown looks great but wonder if it digs into the hand ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    No I can't get the crown anywhere near the bsck of my hand even if I try. Depends where on the wrist you wear your watches I guess