closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spanish Route 66

Banned
    Blog Entries

Spanish Route 66

I haven been living in the south of Spain 19 years coming spring.
    For me it it drivers´ heaven.

For those members enjoying a road trip, I would like to highlight an idea:

The national road N-340 is a 1248 km. long national historic ´monument´.

The foundation, literally, is the roman Via Agusta.

The route starts with km. 0 in Puerto Real, Cadiz and ends in the heart of Barcelona.

The road has retained it´s rural/local character because all modern routes have been bult on the outside of the urbanised centers, further from the coast.
    As such it the route passes through many town and is lined with restaurants and places to stay overnight. Apart from the month of August there is always lodging to be found just off the route.

Select a month with less probablity of rain and enjoy top down driving.

On a personal note; I like the southern bit, say up to Murcia, best but that said, the whole route is worth touring.

Enjoy and please do share the experience if you go.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There are several pojects about the road and the most complete/thorough that I am aware of is

https://n-340.org/patrimonio/

https://n-340.org/patrimonio/itinerarios/

Master
    This could be right up my street.... what would the weather be like in say February... I could celebrate my birthday🎂🎂

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Early Feb. less probabilitty of rain than end Feb.

Obviously wetter than end of May/June.

For top down though, it is not bad in winter. A lot of people prefer it to top down in summer.
    Also way, wáy less traffic.
    All in all imo a good month to travel this route.

Get one with a retractable hard top and you have nothing to worry about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Early Feb. less probabilitty of rain than end Feb.

Obviously wetter than end of May/June.

For top down though, it is not bad in winter. A lot of people prefer it to top down in summer.
    Also way, wáy less traffic.
    All in all imo a good month to travel this route.

Get one with a retractable hard top and you have nothing to worry about.
    I’ll be in the Mustang...👍👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ll be in the Mustang...
    Ok, all weather than so just go.
    Do download the fixed radar points. There are few and all are announced on the road, but adding up kms, adds up those too and missing one at >speed is súch a downer.

When I drove back from UK to Gibraltar - after finishing university - I got the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and then made it a point of driving to Barcelona to then do the N-340 down to Gibraltar.
    I have since many times driven the other way to Cadiz and back.

Have to agree the Southern part to Murcia is the most picturesque / more to do. Barcelona to Valencia was quick and we stopped at Cambrils, then Calpe and Just outside Malaga in Castell de Ferro - got lost in the heart of Valencia Centre - avoiding motorways this happens often.

Some nice winding but slow sections among the acres and acres of plastic covered strawberry fields. All this in late July is sweltering heat in a Citroen CX25 GTi Turbo with one of my eyeballs semi permanently transfixed onto the oil temperature gauge...

No A/C, No GPS, no mobile phones ... No booking.com

I don't like the 340, I prefer the road from Minilva to Casaris where my sister lives then Gaucin, then on to Ronda then Jerez then Seville and all the way up to Portugal.

Also done Ronda, Cordoba, Grenada and back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don't like the 340, I prefer the road from Minilva to Casaris where my sister lives then Gaucin, then on to Ronda then Jerez then Seville and all the way up to Portugal.

Also done Ronda, Cordoba, Grenada and back.
    I can give you an arm long list of jaw dropping, back wetting, ´secundary´roads. The N-340 has a different angle:
    The point of the N-340 is that it is a road-trip route. Looking at it that way, even bits like Marbella to/through Málaga become a joy (well apart from July/August).
    As was observed, no need for GPS, bookings or anything. Just drive and go with the flow or stop wherever you like the scenery or whatever.
    I know Málaga - Murcia like the back of my hand and stíll enjoy the leisure drive; sea on the right, changing landscape on the left. I find it a Zen-road. Just let go and enjoy.

Want swéat on your back driving? From the N-340 turn left in Almuñecar*, up the A-4050 per example. Gréat road, totally different though and a not very relaxing road at all, however relaxed you drive.
    Back on topic; great spanish forerunner (by near two millennia) of the Route 66 and lined with history.

@Xantiagib; my favorite scenic bits are the atlantic side through Cadiz and the south of the desert part in Almeria.
    That said, Málaga - Motril still has a unique seventies/eighties mediterranean character to it which is hard not to fall in love with.

* or same in Puerto de la Torre, up towards Antequera, or on the east side of Malaga up through two corvatas towards the Fuente de la Reina, past Rio Gordo, then Alfarnate and Rio Frio.
    Great dríving. Different experience: flogging a say MR2/MX5 or any hot hatch whereas the N-340 is cruising a Laguna cabrio automatic.

p.s. rereading the above I think it would help explain the geopgraphy a bit. Roughly expalined, there is a continous mountain range which runs west - east from the Sierra de las Nieves in the west to Murcia in the east. The Sierra Nevada is the literally high point.
    The souther slopes can be seen from all along coast. Turning left from the N-340 anywhere east of Estepona will see you on great roads into the mountains.
    Crossing this mountain range lands you in ´the interior´ with a land climate; the mountain range is also a climate divide.
    Turning off the N-340 has its own rewarding charm but best with GPS and some idea about where you want to stay the night.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 6th December 2018 at 17:37.

I definately intend on doing More Malaga-Motril-Almeria more often next near - havent been that way in ages

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    I definately intend on doing More Malaga-Motril-Almeria more often next near - havent been that way in ages
    Good idea indeed.
    Going with a classic or taking more recent wheels?

Since the N-340 is nowhere a fast road, it is thé route to travel in an R4 or Seat 600; the two cars that made Spain mobile. Especially the latter will ensure enthusiastic reactions all along the road.

Master
    I have a holiday home in San Juan de los Terreros which is not far from the N340 but I find it confusing as in some places the N340 becomes replaced by the A7 and quite often you have the A7 merging with the AP7 to become the E15.

How do you know where the old N340 was unless you can get an old road map from the days of yore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a holiday home in San Juan de los Terreros which is not far from the N340 but I find it confusing as in some places the N340 becomes replaced by the A7 and quite often you have the A7 merging with the AP7 to become the E15.

How do you know where the old N340 was unless you can get an old road map from the days of yore.
    The lack of tolls:-)

Craftsman
    I drove down a few years ago to our place near Iznajar in the TVR. We seemed to slowly cook as we headed from Pau to Madrid via Zarragoza. We were stopping at every other petrol station for ice cream and to stand in the shade!
    And that road South from Madrid is boring until you get north of Jaen.
    We did a much more scenic route home though, flipping between coast and inland to Valencia then Barcelona and on to Andorra for a couple of days.
    Fantastic driving but I underestimated how hard it is to do more than 350 miles a day - especially in the baking heat.

Master
    My folks have lived in a small village just off the n340 between almeria and Motril for the last 30 years. It was a horrible road back then, but vastly improved over the years, firstly with a widening and straightening programme about 25 years ago and then the motorway which now takes most of the traffic. You can still see the odd piece of the old narrow and winding road along the stretch where they are. A mate and I did the drive up to Granada via Albunol, Orgiva, etc many years ago in a hire car which was a lot of fun, driving it in the only way a hire car should be driven :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blow the N roads, cv70 from Gaudalest to Alcoy is a twisting and winding dream, then nearby is the cv810 from Alcoy to Jijona, from there turn off towards Busot and finally to the coast at Campello via the cv774/777. This is motoring Nirvana for me; better still take a half decent motorbike.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    My folks have lived in a small village just off the n340 between almeria and Motril for the last 30 years. It was a horrible road back then, but vastly improved over the years, firstly with a widening and straightening programme about 25 years ago and then the motorway which now takes most of the traffic. You can still see the odd piece of the old narrow and winding road along the stretch where they are. A mate and I did the drive up to Granada via Albunol, Orgiva, etc many years ago in a hire car which was a lot of fun, driving it in the only way a hire car should be driven :)
    A good example of driving northwards basically anywhere from the N-340. The route you took is véry winding at places. Totally enjoyable BUT best with a non too powerfull smallish car. The smallest/cheapest hire car would do perfectly well, allowing you to enjoy thrashing it. One of the advantages is that you not only go north but also mainly úp which makes it inherently safer than descending; gavity helps you slow down when you err.

Júst came up from Malaga over the A7000 (then A-7204, A-4152 etc.) just for fun. Nooooooo street ligthing anywhere which makes for bétter visibility in the dark. I also cycle that route so know it quite well; lóved motoring it at night.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I drove down a few years ago to our place near Iznajar in the TVR. We seemed to slowly cook as we headed from Pau to Madrid via Zarragoza. We were stopping at every other petrol station for ice cream and to stand in the shade!

Fantastic driving but I underestimated how hard it is to do more than 350 miles a day - especially in the baking heat.
    Well, that heat; was that the héat or the car being not fit for that?
    Done só many north -> south crossings (incl. about a dozen or so Amsterdam - Malaga within 24h) with a great many different cars and generally older cars are ok with just windows down and the more modern they get the more they need airco which means windows shut, insulating you from the world outside.
    Same thing traffic jams at >40 C. on baking hot tarmac; the older cars are generally coping very well whereas modern ones have the engine too encapsulated and having the airco on adds to the problem.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    And that road South from Madrid is boring until you get north of Jaen.
    The E5, the autoroute de andalucia, is a bore. Period. Just covering distance.
    There are however two truely awesome alternatives taking you through Don Quijote times: On either the west and the east side of this highway you can take the provincial roads and go roughly southwards through national parks and villages where time has stood still for centuries.
    I did the east side with the DAF55 and the west side with the 77.
    Do fill up with fuel before you go off into the limbo. Also calculate with a day (or two so you can stop/ take detours) to cover Madrid - Bailen.
    However awesome, this interior crossing is rather de opposite of the N-340 though. The N-340 is thé relaxed road trip route with no worries about where to stop for food or lodgings and you cannot really get lost. What they have in common is that they are both time warps.

Master
    Well, that heat; was that the héat or the car being not fit for that?.
    TVR’s being made of fibreglass are not good in the heat. In a normal steel car the whole body acts as a heat sink an disipates heat from the engine bay throughout the body structure.

On a TVR the body acts as an insulator and traps the heat within the structure.The older griffiths and chimaeras can become quite uncomfortable in high temperatures, and few were fitted with air con.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    TVR’s being made of fibreglass are not good in the heat. In a normal steel car the whole body acts as a heat sink an disipates heat from the engine bay throughout the body structure.

On a TVR the body acts as an insulator and traps the heat within the structure.The older griffiths and chimaeras can become quite uncomfortable in high temperatures, and few were fitted with air con.
    Exactly. Easier to blame the Spanish heat though ;-)

Living here all through the inland summer, I definitely háte airco and the angle/surface amount of glass in a vehicle is an important criterium for me. Even top down, thus directly under the sun is less hot than many a modern greenhouse design car.

My friends and I drove from Granada to Madrid in August 2007. Amazing scenery and amazing leniency shown by police. Friend was at the wheel in a hired 2007 BMW 320. We were going north of 200km/h and were hit with a 42 euro fine on the spot fine and no points or any other sanction.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    My friends and I drove from Granada to Madrid in August 2007. Amazing scenery and amazing leniency shown by police. Friend was at the wheel in a hired 2007 BMW 320. We were going north of 200km/h and were hit with a 42 euro fine on the spot fine and no points or any other sanction.
    That has changed rather a lot in 11 years. Spain has discovered how profitable traffic policing can be.
    The car would be impounded and the driver grounded without a drivers´ license on the spot. Later worries a huge fine, needing to appear before Spanish court and trouble with the hire company about theír car.
    Post Brexit that will be more severe as no way they would let the driver go out of reach.

Hmm got caught in a speed trap 2 or 3 years back, paid fine on the spot as cops conveniently had card reader in the boot/ there's a surprise, they took one look at a foreign licence, shrugged and sent us on our way with a cheerful buen viaje...not saying it's a get out of jail free card, but clearly it's not so cut and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hmm got caught in a speed trap 2 or 3 years back, paid fine on the spot as cops conveniently had card reader in the boot/ there's a surprise, they took one look at a foreign licence, shrugged and sent us on our way with a cheerful buen viaje...not saying it's a get out of jail free card, but clearly it's not so cut and dried.
    The hidden cameras near Marbella are very dodgy, little sign just says radar

Master
    Simple rule - never ever go above the limit, you are rarely in a rush and dealing with the Guadia is a royal PITA. It just ain't worth the risk, so use your cruise control.

No signage in our case, one of their pop up traps, which I've heard's now not permitted/legal without placing signs, who knows/cares plus Spanish practices, we paid the fine said cheerio and joked it went into the cops felice navidad celebration pot,cos of timing.
    As mick observed always better not to get done in the first place.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    No signage in our case, one of their pop up traps, which I've heard's now not permitted/legal without placing signs, who knows/cares plus Spanish practices, we paid the fine said cheerio and joked it went into the cops felice navidad celebration pot,cos of timing.
    As mick observed always better not to get done in the first place.
    What cértainly not is permitted is to pay cash on the spot; that will go to the police private holliday fund.
    The card reader does go through the DGT system.

For other traffic offences like parking, crossing a line or such, also suffices a foto taken by a copper or a video from the helicopter(s) above.

It may take a while but the fines will arrive at the home of the one registered on the license/hire contract. Any other personal experience is a lucky exception.

Since the N-340 is a leisure road trip route, there is really no reason to get into this sort of trouble.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Simple rule - never ever go above the limit, you are rarely in a rush and dealing with the Guadia is a royal PITA. It just ain't worth the risk, so use your cruise control.
    I agree.

On the N-340 the max limit varies between 80 and 100 (soon 90) and from 30 - 50 in built up areas with the odd cross road at 60. Simply pay attention. That is a good idea anyway behind the wheel. As on the N-340 cyclist, even horse carts often use the same road as you it applies even more.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink three week ago on the N-340

between Torrox and Nerja

Master
    Post Brexit that will be more severe as no way they would let the driver go out of reach.
    I might prefer to tour Scotland instead... keep my money in the UK and support Scottish B&B’s etc..

Master
    Have you ever toured around Scotland? The NW Highlands and Islands are just stunning. Some epic driving roads if you avoid the tourist season.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I might prefer to tour Scotland instead... keep my money in the UK and support Scottish B&B’s etc..

For your info, Brexit would be the 29th of March, so well after your trip.

Apart from that a patriot/nationalist shoúld stay in the UK indeed.
    Furthermore way less forrinners, english spoken, proper food and you have you steering wheel on the side it was intended for driving on the left. Oh and most likely proper Bristish weather too in February.

For David; if you drive east to Almeria, just before you get to La Herreadure there is a tunnel straightening the road through the Cerro Gordo. That is a ´modern´ bit. The original road turns right 50 meters before the tunnel and is like a timewarp from the thirties. Three years ago there were still some milemarkes and even road sign from the twenties.
    You will get back on the N-340 again after the tunnel. Only 3 km. or so but take half an hour or more; worth it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Have you ever toured around Scotland? The NW Highlands and Islands are just stunning. Some epic driving roads if you avoid the tourist season.
    I was supposed to go on an organised Mustang trip last year. On the morning we were leaving to travel up to Scotland, my wife had a very bad fall off her mare, broken shoulder, broken ribs, and a broken foot.

She told me to go (not realising at that point how bad her injuries were) I drove up to the highlands, and got a phone call asking me to come home. I stayed 1 night and went home..

The others on the trip had a fantastic time, so I felt I missed out, and would like to try again... so with the anti Brit sentiment from the resident in Spain on here the weak pound, I think I’ll make Scotland my road trip this year..
    Last edited by Enoch; 9th December 2018 at 22:23.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The others on the trip had a fantastic time, so I felt I missed out, and would like to try again... so with the anti Brit centiment from the resident in Spain on here the weak pound, I think I’ll make Scotland my road trip this year..
    ´Sentiment´.

This thread btw is a nice road trip suggestion for UK car lovers.

Ah well, where there is no will, there is .... always the via augusta

Master
    ´Sentiment´.
    36 mins to late, I corrected it at 21.23..

Master
    I was supposed to go on an organised Mustang trip last year. On the morning we were leaving to travel up to Scotland, my wife had a very bad fall off her mare, broken shoulder, broken ribs, and a broken foot.

She told me to go (not realising at that point how bad her injuries were) I drove up to the highlands, and got a phone call asking me to come home. I stayed 1 night and went home..

The others on the trip had a fantastic time, so I felt I missed out, and would like to try again... so with the anti Brit sentiment from the resident in Spain on here the weak pound, I think I’ll make Scotland my road trip this year..
    That’s really unlucky, for both of you! I’d definitely recommend planning another trip up there and preferably for more than a day

Was the trip with the MOCGB? I had a 2005 not long after they launched and there was much “plastic Mustang” prejudice in the club. There were some great meets, trackdays etc though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    That’s really unlucky, for both of you! I’d definitely recommend planning another trip up there and preferably for more than a day

Was the trip with the MOCGB? I had a 2005 not long after they launched and there was much “plastic Mustang” prejudice in the club. There were some great meets, trackdays etc though.
    No it was just organised by a group of friends, one of whom lives in the highlands and sorted the route and accommodation etc...
    It was very informal and they were a great bunch..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Btw. sorry to read about your wife´s tumble. Hope she has recovered completely. I currently have 5 horses (well; 4 and 1 mule), so have been there (amply; enough to fill a hilarious book), done that, did nót like the rocks over here.
    Broken bones is one thing but the damaged ligaments quite another.

Apart from that the horse - Mustang theme is

Will be thinking of you in Februar. Have a trip ´planned´ to Santiponce, beaches of Huelva and then potter back along the coast. ´Planned´ as it depends on a week of stable good weather.
    Will be going down to Velez the east, overnight in Nerja, further east (try find the 30ties bit) and up from Almuñecar in Januar. Not depending on the weather but on when the overnighter can de arranged.
    Would have wanted to go down to the coast from Granada and then east this month but the month is flýing by too fast with improptu invitations and the eoy diners don´t help. With the Malageña back from China I will be invited out for romantic outings between Málaga and Nerja; either in her cabrio or mine.

Have fun!!

between Torrox and Nerja

Wow. I travelled that sort of way in 2001. Loved the trip. Can’t recall the route exactly but in Spain was from Santander to Nerja travelled on mountain roads round ‘la desperados?’ The coastal road for the last 80km or so was utterly stunning. Just wish I could pinpoint the route we took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Wow. I travelled that sort of way in 2001. Loved the trip. Can’t recall the route exactly but in Spain was from Santander to Nerja travelled on mountain roads round ‘la desperados?’ The coastal road for the last 80km or so was utterly stunning. Just wish I could pinpoint the route we took.
    Those last 80 kms of coastal road towards Nerja múst have been the N340, whether you come from the east or the west. At that time the highway north of it was not nearly ready. The N-340 is now ever so much enjoyable still as the highway takes all but the most local of traffic.
    This is expected with great expectation by all local authorities to be the case west of Fuengirola too as the AP7 will soon pass into hands of the State and should thus open free for all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Today is grey. The past week though; perfect touring weather. Blue skies, sun not too hot in the car, yet still short sleeve terrace weather. Get yourselves some vitamin D in spring and enjoy driving along the Andalucian coast. Flights are cheap, cost of living here a laugh, even fuel is relatively reasonable. Oh the wife is miserable about a road trip. Well, that is a win-win no?!: Leave her with a shopping budget equalling you trip budget. Tatáááá.

Just picked up on your post and the useful thread response information.... I have a wedding to go to in Albufeira in June and after that I've allowed 3 days to travel up thru Spain towards my next stops eventually in the Dolomites...

What areas/places would make good overnight targets x3, going up thru Spain and taking in N340 etc...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulatios!

Can´t help you though with places to stay overnight. I would personally just drive and see. Both going down and travelling the N340. That us the imo only way the journey can be the goal itself.
    There is always sómewhere to stay, it adds to the adventure and you encounter unexpected places you otherwise never would have found.

Have a good trip. ...and marriage ;-)

I'm waiting with a baited breath for you to review Spanish route 69 P
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I'm waiting with a baited breath for you to review Spanish route 69 P
    Me too... altho getting to age now where I prefer to know where the next roof over my head will be on long trips, bit more planning but less stress.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwanderer22 View Post
    Me too... altho getting to age now where I prefer to know where the next roof over my head will be on long trips, bit more planning but less stress.
    Striking choice of words that ´less stress´.
    Interesting how we can experience life in such different manners.
    I go on road trips to relax and for me it adds freedom, is it liberating not to need to get to a specific place at a set time/date and more so as I get older. But then I am fluent in Spanish.