closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spanish Route 66

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries

Spanish Route 66

I haven been living in the south of Spain 19 years coming spring.
    For me it it drivers´ heaven.

For those members enjoying a road trip, I would like to highlight an idea:

The national road N-340 is a 1248 km. long national historic ´monument´.

The foundation, literally, is the roman Via Agusta.

The route starts with km. 0 in Puerto Real, Cadiz and ends in the heart of Barcelona.

The road has retained it´s rural/local character because all modern routes have been bult on the outside of the urbanised centers, further from the coast.
    As such it the route passes through many town and is lined with restaurants and places to stay overnight. Apart from the month of August there is always lodging to be found just off the route.

Select a month with less probablity of rain and enjoy top down driving.

On a personal note; I like the southern bit, say up to Murcia, best but that said, the whole route is worth touring.

Enjoy and please do share the experience if you go.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There are several pojects about the road and the most complete/thorough that I am aware of is

https://n-340.org/patrimonio/

https://n-340.org/patrimonio/itinerarios/

Master
    This could be right up my street.... what would the weather be like in say February... I could celebrate my birthday🎂🎂

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Early Feb. less probabilitty of rain than end Feb.

Obviously wetter than end of May/June.

For top down though, it is not bad in winter. A lot of people prefer it to top down in summer.
    Also way, wáy less traffic.
    All in all imo a good month to travel this route.

Get one with a retractable hard top and you have nothing to worry about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Early Feb. less probabilitty of rain than end Feb.

Obviously wetter than end of May/June.

For top down though, it is not bad in winter. A lot of people prefer it to top down in summer.
    Also way, wáy less traffic.
    All in all imo a good month to travel this route.

Get one with a retractable hard top and you have nothing to worry about.
    I’ll be in the Mustang...👍👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ll be in the Mustang...
    Ok, all weather than so just go.
    Do download the fixed radar points. There are few and all are announced on the road, but adding up kms, adds up those too and missing one at >speed is súch a downer.

Master
    My folks have lived in a small village just off the n340 between almeria and Motril for the last 30 years. It was a horrible road back then, but vastly improved over the years, firstly with a widening and straightening programme about 25 years ago and then the motorway which now takes most of the traffic. You can still see the odd piece of the old narrow and winding road along the stretch where they are. A mate and I did the drive up to Granada via Albunol, Orgiva, etc many years ago in a hire car which was a lot of fun, driving it in the only way a hire car should be driven :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    My folks have lived in a small village just off the n340 between almeria and Motril for the last 30 years. It was a horrible road back then, but vastly improved over the years, firstly with a widening and straightening programme about 25 years ago and then the motorway which now takes most of the traffic. You can still see the odd piece of the old narrow and winding road along the stretch where they are. A mate and I did the drive up to Granada via Albunol, Orgiva, etc many years ago in a hire car which was a lot of fun, driving it in the only way a hire car should be driven :)
    A good example of driving northwards basically anywhere from the N-340. The route you took is véry winding at places. Totally enjoyable BUT best with a non too powerfull smallish car. The smallest/cheapest hire car would do perfectly well, allowing you to enjoy thrashing it. One of the advantages is that you not only go north but also mainly úp which makes it inherently safer than descending; gavity helps you slow down when you err.

Júst came up from Malaga over the A7000 (then A-7204, A-4152 etc.) just for fun. Nooooooo street ligthing anywhere which makes for bétter visibility in the dark. I also cycle that route so know it quite well; lóved motoring it at night.

Blow the N roads, cv70 from Gaudalest to Alcoy is a twisting and winding dream, then nearby is the cv810 from Alcoy to Jijona, from there turn off towards Busot and finally to the coast at Campello via the cv774/777. This is motoring Nirvana for me; better still take a half decent motorbike.

Hmm got caught in a speed trap 2 or 3 years back, paid fine on the spot as cops conveniently had card reader in the boot/ there's a surprise, they took one look at a foreign licence, shrugged and sent us on our way with a cheerful buen viaje...not saying it's a get out of jail free card, but clearly it's not so cut and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hmm got caught in a speed trap 2 or 3 years back, paid fine on the spot as cops conveniently had card reader in the boot/ there's a surprise, they took one look at a foreign licence, shrugged and sent us on our way with a cheerful buen viaje...not saying it's a get out of jail free card, but clearly it's not so cut and dried.
    The hidden cameras near Marbella are very dodgy, little sign just says radar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Simple rule - never ever go above the limit, you are rarely in a rush and dealing with the Guadia is a royal PITA. It just ain't worth the risk, so use your cruise control.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Simple rule - never ever go above the limit, you are rarely in a rush and dealing with the Guadia is a royal PITA. It just ain't worth the risk, so use your cruise control.
    I agree.

On the N-340 the max limit varies between 80 and 100 (soon 90) and from 30 - 50 in built up areas with the odd cross road at 60. Simply pay attention. That is a good idea anyway behind the wheel. As on the N-340 cyclist, even horse carts often use the same road as you it applies even more.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink three week ago on the N-340

between Torrox and Nerja

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No signage in our case, one of their pop up traps, which I've heard's now not permitted/legal without placing signs, who knows/cares plus Spanish practices, we paid the fine said cheerio and joked it went into the cops felice navidad celebration pot,cos of timing.
    As mick observed always better not to get done in the first place.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    No signage in our case, one of their pop up traps, which I've heard's now not permitted/legal without placing signs, who knows/cares plus Spanish practices, we paid the fine said cheerio and joked it went into the cops felice navidad celebration pot,cos of timing.
    As mick observed always better not to get done in the first place.
    What cértainly not is permitted is to pay cash on the spot; that will go to the police private holliday fund.
    The card reader does go through the DGT system.

For other traffic offences like parking, crossing a line or such, also suffices a foto taken by a copper or a video from the helicopter(s) above.

It may take a while but the fines will arrive at the home of the one registered on the license/hire contract. Any other personal experience is a lucky exception.

Since the N-340 is a leisure road trip route, there is really no reason to get into this sort of trouble.