closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Defy 21 >>>

Blog Entries

Defy 21 >>>

More later - Ti case - and yes I have spotted the 3 'scrapes' @ 3 O'clock - but only in pictures

Martyn

That is very cool. I’m fascinated by these movements. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with it. What does it sound like when the chrono is running?

Master
    Cool watch that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That is very cool. I’m fascinated by these movements. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with it. What does it sound like when the chrono is running?
    The Chrono hums quitely at 50Hz. Just audible in a very quite room

Master
    Let me be the first and last to say...

what time is it?

Lovely watch - any wrist pics?

The case finishing looks very impressive and more like steel than titanium, I bet that dial looks spectacular through a loupe........ will you be in contract with the seller with regard the marks on the bezel at 3 o’clock?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    The case finishing looks very impressive and more like steel than titanium, I bet that dial looks spectacular through a loupe........ will you be in contract with the seller with regard the marks on the bezel at 3 o’clock?
    I might mention it but for me it is a non-issue. They appear only in forensic photos and I’d prefer an unpolished Ti case. This was not sold as ‘factory fresh’ so it does not bother me at all.

I expect I’ll add some marks along the way anyway. Also in my experience Ti has an uncanny way of ‘self-healing’ over time with a little oxidation. I expect not to see them in 6 months.

I have no problem with this dealer and they have treated me perfectly in the past. They would see me right either way.

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I might mention it but for me it is a non-issue. They appear only in forensic photos and I’d prefer an unpolished Ti case. This was not sold as ‘factory fresh’ so it does not bother me at all.

I expect I’ll add some marks along the way anyway. Also in my experience Ti has an uncanny way of ‘self-healing’ over time with a little oxidation. I expect not to see them in 6 months.

I have no problem with this dealer and they have treated me perfectly in the past. They would see me right either way.

Martyn.
    Makes sense, barely noticeable and the watch still looks fabulous.

Master
    Edit: answered my own question.

Just noticed it's 44mm. Let us know if it wears it's size or not
    Last edited by gcleminson; 6th December 2018 at 10:10.

Master
    That is cool! You have the bracelet as well? I have seen pictures of it. It looks like integrated bracelet like the iwc ingenieur.

Journeyman
    That is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    These are epic... great choice Martyn

Congrats! It looks great. Not sure why 44mm, you can see that the movement isn't that big and I think it would have been better at 42mm.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Chrono hums quitely at 50Hz. Just audible in a very quite room
    More likely 5Hz, 50Hz and the balance wheel would be trying to take to the air. Lol.

Craftsman
    very nice indeed.

Craftsman
    I really like that and my eyesight must need testing as I can't see the scrapes at 3. Doesn't look to be as big as 44mm, any wrist shots yet?

Amazing looking watch. Looking forward to seeing a couple of wrist shots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    More likely 5Hz, 50Hz and the balance wheel would be trying to take to the air. Lol.
    No - it is 50Hz - which makes it quite amazing. The Chrono is a separate movement and runs at Frequency 360,000 VpH (50 Hz)

the second hand completes one revolution in 1second - allowing for read off of 100th sec. it has its own balance spring manual wind with separate PR indicator.

The main movement has a completely separate movement and barrel which is an auto wind and runs at the El Primero standard 5 Hz 36,000 VpH.

google Zenith Calibre 9004 - read all about it.

Craftsman
    I've just watched the video on the zenith website, I think I could watch that second hand spinning round all day (if the power reserve was long enough! lol).

I've always been fascinated by skeleton dials and being able to see the movement working while actually wearing the watch. A clear caseback is great but you tend to only look at it briefly when taking the watch on/off.

Great watch, one of these might be on my radar!

Master
    Possibly a daft question, but can you wind it while the chrono is running?

Blog Entries
    Larger pic - best viewed on a larger screen - phone doesn’t do it justice. The outer scale is 100th second and the mechanism is so tight the second hand stops dead on a marker when engaging the pushers and snaps back perfectly to zero. Seems like a lot of R&D went into this movement while under Bev’s short reign as CEO.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th December 2018 at 13:48.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Possibly a daft question, but can you wind it while the chrono is running?
    Not a daft question. Physically I can’t see why not. The crown winds both ways at position 1 - with crown not pulled out. Anti-clockwise winds up the Chrono mainspring, clockwise winds up the time mainspring. Position 2 - with crown pulled out, is to set the time. The movement hacks - There is a second ‘hand’ which is at 3 o’clock - a three pronged thing that rotates once a minute. No scale though so just indicates the movement is ticking.

I like that a lot, even if it is a bit tricky to tell the time it's worth it.

Journeyman
    Wow that looks stunning, saw a video of the chronograph working and it was really impressive.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No - it is 50Hz - which makes it quite amazing. The Chrono is a separate movement and runs at Frequency 360,000 VpH (50 Hz)

the second hand completes one revolution in 1second - allowing for read off of 100th sec. it has its own balance spring manual wind with separate PR indicator.

The main movement has a completely separate movement and barrel which is an auto wind and runs at the El Primero standard 5 Hz 36,000 VpH.

google Zenith Calibre 9004 - read all about it.
    I apologise profusely Martyn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I apologise profusely Martyn.
    No need at all! I didn't believe it either until I saw one working!

No need at all! I didn't believe it either until I saw one working!
    Just the materials used in the balance seem extraordinary to me. Thanks for describing the hum. Funnily enough I bought a 1/100th mechanical stopwatch off eBay the other day, just because I find the concept interesting. When it arrives I’m expecting it to sound more like a clockwork toy with the wheels held off the ground

It’s really nice to see someone on the forum buy a watch like this if you don’t mind me saying, a real piece of horology that we can all get a bit of pleasure from. Thanks for posting about it.

Blog Entries
    Took a short video today. I can’t seem to embed it but feel free to click on this link

https://photos.smugmug.com/Watches/n..._1246-1280.mp4

Superb.

It's a nice watch, the skeletonizing is nice and i really like watching that second hand blaze round the dial.

But I can't help but have a few mis-givings, it has a cutprice hublot feel about it, the strap and deployant are from the parts bin (minus the branding), and overall look is a little too big bang for my liking.
    Plus the few I've handled always seem to have issues resetting to the chrono to zero, which is hope is just bad luck and not a sign of a fragile movement.

Vaguely related, I had a play with the Defy Lab prototype (words is their coming to market next year), the case finish/material is probably polarizing, and the
    oscillating escapement will probably give you a seizure, but i think its a fun piece.

Gorgeous pick-up Martyn. Love the skeletonisation and the variety of colours visible.

The Lab's incredible oscillator is stunning and I'd love to see it in the flesh, but I think it's very limited in release with only 10 available? Much prefer the case on Martyn's offering though.

Looks amazing, thanks for posting, but too big for me. 40mm or even 38 would be spot-on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    It's a nice watch, the skeletonizing is nice and i really like watching that second hand blaze round the dial.

But I can't help but have a few mis-givings, it has a cutprice hublot feel about it, the strap and deployant are from the parts bin (minus the branding), and overall look is a little too big bang for my liking.
    Plus the few I've handled always seem to have issues resetting to the chrono to zero, which is hope is just bad luck and not a sign of a fragile movement.

Vaguely related, I had a play with the Defy Lab prototype (words is their coming to market next year), the case finish/material is probably polarizing, and the
    oscillating escapement will probably give you a seizure, but i think its a fun piece.
    bit of a harsh comment about the clasp and strap? I think the finish is rather good.

The clasp design is interesting with a mirror of the rotor shape. The watch came with two straps - an unused leather and the one it’s on is a faux leather rubber (as far as I can tell), which does not taper.

Clasp mechanism is secure with a double push release and two hole attachment as you can see below.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th December 2018 at 19:35.

Grand Master
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

bit of a harsh comment about the clasp and strap? I think the finish is rather good.

I think my point has been missed, i was having a look at a Zentih Big Bang, (the RM looky likey) the same time as one of the first Defy 21s landed earlier in the year.

My problem is not the strap/clasp quality, but it’s the fact its the exact same parts rebranded.
    Just stikes me as lazy design,totally different if we’re talking 30 years ago with Tudor/Rolex.

I’m a big Zenith fan, i have/had a few in my life, but they’re lack of cohesive design direction astounds me.

Craftsman
    Congrats, that looks really nice!

Master
    Not a daft question. Physically I can’t see why not. The crown winds both ways at position 1 - with crown not pulled out. Anti-clockwise winds up the Chrono mainspring, clockwise winds up the time mainspring. Position 2 - with crown pulled out, is to set the time. The movement hacks - There is a second ‘hand’ which is at 3 o’clock - a three pronged thing that rotates once a minute. No scale though so just indicates the movement is ticking.
    Thanks for the extra info. I only wondered because I know the Chrono power reserve is relatively short (50 mins) so may find the need to top it up when running. Though that’s well beyond the register anyway!

Craftsman
    Larger pic - best viewed on a larger screen - phone doesn’t do it justice. The outer scale is 100th second and the mechanism is so tight the second hand stops dead on a marker when engaging the pushers and snaps back perfectly to zero. Seems like a lot of R&D went into this movement while under Bev’s short reign as CEO.

Now that is a nice pic. I have been waiting to see one of these in the flesh. Even more so now. If the size works for me I want one; a lot. Congrats.

Fantastic piece of kit.

https://youtu.be/Q_OvKQJRBho